Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
However they're making diamond mana work I hate it so far. But I hated the idea of double-faced-cards when they were first spoiled and they turned out to be fine, so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I suppose it's possible someone got ahold of art but not card texts and that Wastes art is a new Mountain art or something, but sadly I think these are real. That's definitely new Ray Swanland basic land art that's consistent with the arty style of the current set.

Looks dumb as hell to me but I hope to be proven wrong.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I have a sudden urge to fake up some cards with Club, Heart and Spade mana costs.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The flavor text is especially rotten.

Confirmed real then.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, this change would actually make things closer to how the were in Alpha.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

CountFosco posted:

Edit: what does a good green draft deck look like in BFZ draft?

GWx allies.

With a couple Lifespring Druids, Blighted Woodland, Fertile Thicket, and Evolving Wilds or Pilgrim's Eye if you're lucky, you can cast Tajuru Stalwarts as 2G 3/4s pretty easily.
Tajuru Warcaller or the WR doublestrike one as a finisher.
Buncha small allies like Castigator, or the Bladewhirl if you're lucky.
Token makers like Brood Monitor, Catacomb Sifter, Eyeless Watcher get better if Warcaller is your endgame.
Infuse with the Elements is really good if you're 3 colors and have Lifespring Druids.
GWB Allies is a thing if you're kinda half in the BW lifegain deck but have some good green cards and some fixing. Kalastria Healer into United Front for 3 colors into Tajuru Warcaller is big game. Beastmaster is also a giant Ally that pumps your team and makes for a decent poor-man's Warcaller.

If you're just looking at the 10 2-color pairs, the green ones kind of suck, but there are very good 3 color base-green decks in the format, it's just you only get them if you get passed enough fixing.

And of course there are bomb green rares like From Beyond, Omnath, Brood Butcher, Greenwarden of Murasa, Undergrowth Champion, and especially Woodland Wanderer that can really reward you for having access to green mana.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rimusutera posted:

There's also just aggressive Gnarlids & Lifespring Druids into all the good White/Blue stuff thats easy to splash with enough Druids (like Roil Spout and Clutch), and other decent converge stuff.
If you're the one at the table who drafted the fixing, you can basically take a deck in one of the other two-color archetypes that's not Devoid, add green to it, and have a decent deck that can run some powerful green cards, have good fixing, and power up some converge stuff.

I think RG Landfall is almost there as a deck, it just can have trouble getting through walls and chump blocks because none of its dudes have trample or any kind of evasion. the 1W 0/6 wall can be the bane of RG decks. But if they have the Menace rally guy or lots of good removal, they can certainly get there. Valakut Predator can hit real hard.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The main problem with the RG landfall deck is just that the RW aggro deck is almost always better. You get all the same Valakut Predators and Sliderunners and red removal, but you also get access to white removal, and white has better aggro creatures than green, which basically just has Snapping Gnarlid and no other worthwhile aggro 2-drops. Plus you tend to get more random ally synergies going RW, with Castigators and the white Rally creatures.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dungeon Ecology posted:

RB Devoid aggro is better too -- If there's anyone else at the table going R/x aggro, ur gonna have a bad time.

At least RG doesn't overlap as much with RB devoid though. I mean you'll fight for Touch of the Void and some of the mythic uncommons that any red deck wants like Rolling Thunder, but non-devoid red decks don't really care about Kozilek's Sentinel or Vestige of Emrakul. or even Nettle Drone and Vile Aggregate. And RB Devoid isn't particularly prioritizing Sliderunners and Valakut Predators and Stonefurys.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They don't seem to be flying off the shelves at my LGS, but I dunno.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cactrot posted:

Disconnecting from modo entirely rather than conceding. I think their clock continues until they pass priority, so the round goes to time.

If you do nothing for 10 minutes you auto-lose the match.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rimusutera posted:

Yeah that still sounds lovely to do.

It is.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Isn't that the one that basically had all its ideas stolen for Ice Age, Mirage and Invasion?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol imagine this in blue-red storm.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Barry Shitpeas posted:

In Coldsnap maybe, Ice Age only had snow-covered lands

And hardly anything cared about snow-covered lands but there were a bunch of hate cards for them. Like the best you got was Balduvian Conjuror or Gangrenous Zombies, but there were a bunch of creatures with Snow landwalk of various types or cards that only worked if your opponent had snow lands or whatever.

It's weird to look back at old designs and see how much we take for granted about design now that wasn't understood at all back then. Things like appropriate power level for creatures and spells, how to do power/toughness counters properly, and having mechanics that aren't just dumb flavorful downsides.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The only thing Ice Age actually did with Snow was cards that cared whether you controlled snow lands or how many of them you had. Snow mana wasn't a thing. Snow creatures weren't a thing. (lol that Goblin Snowman isn't a Snow Creature) "Snow" wasn't even a supertype originally. Hell, "Legend" wasn't even a supertype back then. I don't think there even were supertypes then.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Basically a ton of early magic design was individually designed cards with no concept of set synergy and the cards themselves were mostly top-down flavour designs with more often than not a downside ability thrown in because flavour. There's a whole bunch of early cards, and even sets (looking at you Homelands) that seem like they were made by people with a basic understanding of the mechanics of magic who were going "if you made X as a magic card, what would its abilities be?" without any regard for it actually being a fun card to play or not.

It's like this "Let's make politicians / tv shows / whatever into Magic Cards!" threads that pop up now and then but it was "let's make fantasy tropes into magic cards!"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chamale posted:

The problem with Spectral Chaos is everything is so drat complicated. I'm a rules advisor and I'm sure Limited with that set would confuse me badly.

Welcome to every single magic set before Mirage or so.

Also Limited wasn't even a thing back then. This was originally designed before Ice Age even came out IIRC, booster draft hadn't been invented and Sealed was barely even a thing and they certainly weren't designing with it in mind.

Again, stuff we take for granted in design now.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Probably a typo, Swords was in the original playtest at W

I know they started designing expansions before Alpha actually went to print.

And the original playtest cards had weird cost templating, like Serra Angel was "5WW" which meant "5 mana, two of which has to be white".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Elyv posted:

I believe "successfully cast" was always the equivalent to "put on the stack", countered or no. I played pre-6th but none of us had any idea what the rules were so I'm not sure, though.

There wasn't a stack though.

No one had any idea what the rules were back in the day because actual organized tournaments weren't as big a thing, and the rules were a goddamned mess that had be cobbled together on top of a system that didn't even really work at all as originally created.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Glidergun posted:

I think the reason for "successfully casts" is that Back In The Day the sequence was "announce you are casting spell -> tap all your lands and poo poo -> oh, whoops you don't have enough mana to cast it! better rewind to before you tried to cast it."

Wasn't it the opposite originally? You had to tap your mana before announcing the spell. It was a rules violation not to. (see #1)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Morbid seems like an easy one to bring back. It's flavorful and broad enough that there's still a ton of stuff you can do with it. Flashback is there if they want it, it's a classic mechanic that they know plays well. Undying wouldn't be hugely surprising. Curses? Eh, maybe, there's not a ton more they can really do with it. Miracles and Soulbond seem very unlikely because Miracles was hugely divisive and they don't want people to assume the limited environment will suck as much as AVR. I'll be hugely surprised if we don't see DFCs again. And even Wizards have probably forgotten that Fateful Hour existed.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BJPaskoff posted:

I can't wait to see how they retcon werewolves back in. DFCs are definitely coming back. Half the reason we're going back to Innistrad so soon is that DFCs were so popular that they wanted to bring them back ASAP. The other half is that Innistrad's themes resonated with players very well, so they knew the set would sell amazingly.

If DFCs come back they'll probably use a different flip condition than the no-spells/two-spells thing the werewolves did in the original Innistrad.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Are we being nerds about lines of texts now?

Obviously this guy needs a reprint.

(I actually have him in my Peasant cube. Along with Stop That)

little munchkin posted:

Processing the two abilities, the thing the card actually does, the 4 possible mana costs, and the different effect you get from each mode is a lot of mental energy to spend on a single card. After all that you still need to put it all together and evaluate whether the card is good or not. Doing that 14 times seems exhausting. I agree the design is great though.

I never really understood the whole problem with complexity until someone I was drafting with said to me "do you ever just not play a card because it's got too many words and can't figure out what it does?". I asked what card it was and said I could probably explain it to them. She showed me Abbot of Keral Keep and I was like oh that card is a bomb you should definitely play it.
Experienced players really underestimate how complex this game is to someone just learning it. Experienced players have a tendency to look at a single card in isolation and say "Well it's not hard to figure out what that does if you just read it", but they forget the context of having to do that for every card in the pack at once, which can be overwhelming

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

C-Euro posted:

Anyway, I posited a question in the Eternal thread that might be better off here in the main thread: we all know the Power 9, but what do you think would be included in the B-list Power 9? What are the next nine most powerful cards in the game (assuming that Timetwister is as good as the rest of the Power 9)? We were thinking stuff like Sol Ring, Time Vault, Demonic Tutor, Yawgmoth's Will, maybe Tinker, etc.

I think that if Sol Ring hadn't be reprinted in Revised, either we'd be calling it the Power 10 now, or Sol Ring would take the place of Timetwister.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Molybdenum posted:

Mythics dont replace rares, they replace commons.

Also 52 * 7 = 364

Also 7/8 * 7/371 = 49/2968

It's basically just 1/120 vs 1/52

Mythics replace the rare.

It's foils that replace a common.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
When I first got back into it I remember thinking Foils were an extra card in the pack.

In Innistrad and Dark Ascension, you could actually get 3 rares in a pack (or even 3 mythics), because the rare, foil and DFC slots could all be rare.

I remember at the pre-release I had a pack with Garruk, foil Curse of Death's Hold, and some other rare.
I'm sure someone somewhere opened like Lili, Foil Geist, Garruk Relentless in the same pack.

Maybe Time Spiral too with the extra timeshifted sheet? I wasn't playing then so I'm not sure how that one worked.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gerrard brought up to a judge how one players foils in their deck could've been used to cheat by showing them his own foils in his deck at the tournament

Did he actually say "Look, I can see where the foils are in my deck and intentionally cut to them"? That's pretty ridiculous.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AlternateNu posted:

I want to see Jeskai Ascendancy get its last hurrah before it rotates out into obscurity.

Whatever happened to that being the one card from Khans that was totally going to break Modern?

It's always sad at rotation to say goodbye to the cool rares that aren't quite good enough for modern and were powerful enough for Standard but just never had the right deck to go in.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Stoddard on making double small set drafts work

Biggest takeaways are more commons and less lovely commons (especially cycles of those).

I really like that he wants build-around-me uncommons to be a thing. We haven't had nearly enough of those lately. Not on the level of Spider Spawning / Burning Vengeance anyway.

Death Bot posted:

maybe we'll go back to the era of playable commons again
when was that era exactly?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I don't understand why they wouldn't make the colorless mana symbol change, and introduce the colorless basic, in the first set of the block, seems like a bad decision

I was about to say that it's insane to have it only only half the expeditions, but I guess they did specifically do the ones with no colorless symbols in them first.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Someone, I think it was BJPaskoff, mentioned how Split Second's name is misleading.

The biggest problem with Split Second is people assuming you can cast a split second card any time they can cast an Instant, even if the card is a Sorcery or an Enchantment without flash.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

stinkles1112 posted:

I don't understand the criticism of this
It's mostly based on people misunderstanding how it's going to work.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Niton posted:

I could see {4}♦♦, make it interesting.

That would actually be easier to cast for the only deck in Modern that plays it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah any {C} cards can go directly into tron with zero mana issues.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think calling it 'diamond' is confusing people into thinking it's more parasitic than it is. Just call it what it is, colorless mana. Every set has a bunch of ways to make colorless mana. Hell, the current set has the Blighted lands, Hedron archive, and Kozilek's Channeler. It's just that colorlessness was always a downside before.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lancelot posted:

Even if they hosed up the design/development of BFZ by having to rush it out unfinished, if they wanted to, it would have been trivial to change the templating/printing to get the diamond symbol on Scion tokens and Kozilek's Channeler. They obviously just decided not spoiling the second-set mechanic was more important than the aesthetics of having different colourless symbols in one block.

It still makes draft super weird though since you still get a pack of BFZ and the colorless producers in it will actually be important.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AlternateNu posted:

Nope. We did get one of the other mythics spoiled with Kozi back during the initial leaks, though.

Would this really have been overpowered if it didn't ETB tapped?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I was wondering how they were going to push two-headed-giant while having it all still play fine for draft and Surge seems like a cool way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What are the odds they print a Surge card that turns out to be broken in Storm decks?

• Locked thread