Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

It's not like people don't have a million other formats to play, plus local metas don't have quite as many eldrazi players, so who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I imagine that's quite an anomaly, I've heard that most local metas aren't quite as dominated by eldrazi. My local meta is very competitive, but only 2 players are on eldrazi (and I played it before OGW). People just don't want to buy into a deck that they know will get banned.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Sickening posted:

To be able to play your broken deck you do that at the expense of everyone else. I guess if you have a warped point of view of things that might be okay for you. I would just prefer a healthier meta myself and I hope the majority would agree.
You don't have any obligation to other people to play certain decks or fair decks or whatever, this isn't commander.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I don't mind having two months of a deck being broken every now and then if it means that R&D make powerful and cool new cards that affect modern. I remember about the time BFZ came out everyone was complaining about them not printing cards powerful enough for modern. So decide what you want I guess?

Modern does need some good control cards, so that the next time something broken comes out the meta has tools to adapt instead of having to ban stuff again.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

You're playing Modern. Modern hasn't been healthy since... well, ever, but especially not since Pod was banned.

Pod player spotted! I think modern was pretty healthy and good right before twin was banned.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

They aren't, but I'm saying that you can't complain about wizards not printing impactful modern cards and then expect the format to never get broken. It happens, and I'd much rather they ban the occasional Treasure Cruise rather than plying it too safe when making new cards

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah, that's the big problem of modern in my opinion. They need to print some good control cards and other answer cards to give it a good foundation, but they can't really do that because of standard.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I hope that they also give the new Olivia an invisible boner in the art.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

What are you guys talking about some unimportant crap, did you see the 0/4 guy for 1U that turns into a 7/8? It's insane

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Entropic posted:

Of all the dumb things they're trying to do with Standard "Llanowar Elves is too good" is the one that annoys me the most.
It's not really that surprising, given that the green creatures in standard are Siege Rhino and friends, whereas kill spells and counterspells feature stuff like Scatter to the Wind, Ruinous path, etc.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Rotates out in April. This was literally the perfect time to reintroduce these sorts of things.
That's true, but I was referring to the trend of green creatures getting better and more efficient with time, whereas things that keep them in check keep getting worse (kill spells, counterspells, burn spells, wraths). Llanowar Elves seems to me like it's on another power level from Cancel with upside and similar cards.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

did you guys see that Dead Weight is a reprint in the set? Dead Weight owns, can't wait to cast that

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

My report that no one wants to read but I'll still post it: opened Avacyn, promo Avacyn, and Nahiri, pretty hard to lose with that. went UWR and got 5-1, we split the top 8 and ate pizza yayy

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

Six rounds top eight at midnight?
It was the morning prerelease, but yeah, it was six rounds and then no one wanted to play top 8 so we just split it so that each person got 12 packs.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Not all of a sudden though, remember Splinter Twin?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

you gain 5 life and get 5 flying thopters and life is great. you sac them to get a 9/7 that gets pathed

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

besides, you're already way ahead if you're making tokens left and right, you don't need abbey

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Kraus posted:

Huh. Turns out Izzy is just a pseudonym for Goran Josic.

Really? That's pretty cool, especially given that the artist for Splinter Twin is Goran Josić, and the artist for Deceiver Exarch is Izzy.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

patrick is really awesome (cedric too), I'd watch born of the gods limited if those two guys were doing the commentary. the fact that it's modern and that modern is great right now is even better.

they should invest in some better lights for the venue though, it's really dark on the stream.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

M13 was the best core set by far, also has Talrand, Odric, Yeva, Roaring Primadox, Omniscience, Thundermaw Hellkite, etc.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Counterpoint: Thragtusk owns :parrot:

Speculators mostly drive prices on stupid poo poo like Digeridoo that no one wants anyway except other speculators.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah it's amazing, I get a little bit tilted just watching him topdeck.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

because abzan company, jund and uwr control are on the uptick i guess, among other things

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah that was probably a really bad art direction mistake, it's obvious that they used the art for some other card on this.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

C-Euro posted:

There's some dope art in this set. Also where was Worldgorger Dragon revealed so I can laugh at it?

Yeah, some of the art in this set is really great, but some of it is also the kind of bad you can usually find only in these reprint sets. Diminishing Returns and Daze are horrible, and Nimble Mongoose is also very plastic looking.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Mythic is a strange beast, because if WotC put expensive cards in at mythic, people will complain because the price will still remain high. On the other hand, if they put cheap cards at mythic, people will also complain. To me it seems better if more expensive cards are at rare instead of mythic, seeing how you have a much smaller chance of opening a mythic.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

edit: nvm

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

The real question is why were they $25-30 before people thought UWx control was playable?

I think they shot up when that guy won the modern SCG playing Nahiri in an UWR deck. Before that, it was around $10-15.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I don't know man, I like the art for pretty much all the original duals. It's very ... painterly.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

in the same vein, I'll be in Berlin for the next 10 days. anyone know of any stores that will be doing EMA drafts?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Most of the cards you want to discard in dredge are creatures though: Vengevine, Bloodghast, Gravecrawler, Amalgam, Grave Troll and Stinkweed Imp. Don't think it will replace it. I've moved away from Lothlet Troll though, I prefer Stitchwing Skaab because it works while it's in the graveyard.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

You can make a janky modern deck with this probably by playing big heap of dredgers, Valakut, and:

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

It's only very expensive if you want to compete at a really competitive level. Otherwise, it's just kind of pricey. You can play very casually for dirt cheap, or if you do a draft at FNM every week, it doesn't cost you a fortune either.

That being said, they really should reprint tournament cards a little more aggressively.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

mcmagic posted:

This shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the issue. The miracles deck isn't a problem because it's overpowered, it's a problem because it promotes bad gameplay as well as slow play that holds up most legacy tournaments. The card that causes this is Top.
You don't see other decks that use top activating it nearly as often as miracles. What actually causes the slow play is the interaction between counterbalance and top. That's why I think counterbalance is a better candidate for banning, as leaving top to non-blue decks gives them some semblance of card selection.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Get some masking tape and then use a cotton swab to apply acetone to the black border. When tron was big in my LGS, I made myself a playset of white bordered molten rains to combat it.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

It was bad because there was only really ever one correct choice, provided you knew the trick.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I could see this seeing play in vintage. Tap a bunch of moxen for mana, bounce them and a snapcaster back, maybe a revoker, draw a bunch of cards, replay them again and have a new hand and a really big storm count.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

That card is just very bad, in the sense that it's not even exciting for a casual player. I may be wrong, but even a casual player would think wtf, why would my opponent get to choose first?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Ponder would be a good unban. The argument against it is that it would just enable combo, but the only real combo deck it might put over the top is infect, and that might be managed by banning Become Immense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

It's a draw. Someone losing the game is the outcome of the game checking state-based effects, and those are all checked at the same time.

• Locked thread