Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The best part about expeditions is being able to trade your old versions + extras for the hot, new ones. That ancient tomb really looks like rear end though. Does anyone even do foil/metallic paintjobs on magic cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Minority Deport posted:

This is a weird-rear end leak. We're getting things in English, but also Russian, German, Japanese, French, and Italian. Who the hell has access to enough product to pull that many mythics (and nonbasic lands, I guess) this early? And how come there are duel deck cards in there alongside all the OGW ones? Why is the first card Urza's Rage from Phyrexia vs the Coalition, a duel deck that came out in 2010? e: oh, that makes sense.

Someone's getting fired, though, right? This seems really firing-worthy.

e: I found something! The images seem to come from this instagram account, or at least, they seem to have been uploaded there before the imgur album. If you click on some of 'em, there's a little link with a camera symbol ("this is the photographer") that links to this other instagram account, which contains some MTG pictures and another picture of that Urza's Rage on the weird pedestal from another angle.

e2: I should have just checked twitter. Yeah, they're the leak source.

I love all the twitter drama this will hopefully create. What would they even be sued for?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Holy poo poo a sun titan and geist reprint? I get to relive the glory days of INN block! Maybe not with the unburial rites making it as good but drat next standard is looking good! :peanut:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Glad to see people are using generic vs colorless differentiation. Still lol that people can't wrap their heads around this. Hope you guys never play board games where either types of food or coins can be used to pay for a food (harvest) tax even though food isn't money. It's been around for years in resource management games.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

First grade teacher points to a rainbow. What color is that? asks the teacher.

I timidly raise my hand. Co-colorless?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This is not even my true form. There is a color beyond...

*eldritch horror throws color balance off as people go mad trying to understand*

Angry Grimace posted:

I for one, can't wait for the smartass who says, "well technically black isn't a color and white is every color." :spergin:

And this student's name? Timmy.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Where we're going, we don't need Islands to C.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah, magic's an old game with legacy mechanics that have been improved upon, for better or worse. They can only do so much with what it started with.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Colorless blood moon is gonna cost like 3CC and be named "Kozilek's Moon" and be a picture of his butt!

Can't wait to put this in my colorless EDH deck that I play once every 3 months.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's really weird how people espouse redrafting as this money saving thing because back on the island, I still draft for $10 and that's for a full draft including prizes. When I drafted here and it's $15 I thought it was a ripoff until I saw that's how everyone else did it. It's still a ripoff wtf.

Anyway, it's just a way to keep grognardy LGSs that way and to make sure the boys' club only has the regulars instead of new people who would be excited about getting a lottery jackpot every now and then.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Well his job is to talk 2 days a week for a company that is cutting back its events because they aren't making enough money on them. Good salaries don't usually come from part time work.

Oh is that true? I wish that meant people would play this game more chill-like and not seem like they're practicing for the next GP all the time, but somehow I feel like it's gonna have the opposite effect and cause more fierce competition, and accompanying behavior, for the few spots there are.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I liked the bullet point about leaks being bad because it keeps information from "less-enfranchised players" even though grand wizards have access to this info as long as they keep their mouth shut and only circulate it between a privilege few. :3:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Allstone posted:

I think they've said on multiple occasions that a majority of their players will never look at or post on a forum or reddit thread, so in that context it makes a fair amount of sense that less-enfranchised players are pretty often not going to see leaks until a fair amount later than the most enfranchised players.
It was a god book circulating amongst pros vs we the Internet forum MTG community comment.

Also p much this:

Rinkles posted:

what "less-enfranchised player" is going to give a gently caress?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Barry Shitpeas posted:

90% of spoiler articles are fluff that you skip over to get to the card, are we ruining the experience when we immediately repost the card images here?

IMO they should start subbing in raunchy fanfic of popularly shipped characters so more people would be interested in the article itself.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Niton posted:

I'm still kind of amazed that so many people didn't see Kolaghan's Command as obviously amazing. The power level isn't (quite) as high as Cryptic, but every single pair of modes on the card is a beating.

I likened it to standard Jund-era blightning. My friend then said that in modern, it's just like BBE into blightning. Over and over again. :getin:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

More dumb things like this are cropping up. You know that dumb counting gesture that is spreading? The one where someone uses there index finger in an semi fist to tap in an odd pattern criss-cross on the table? Yes, I get that you need to count possible damage going in or out, but people are mirroring this down to the gesture and tapping pattern. loving bizarre.
Yeah, really weird. I've seen it crop up in the same grinder circles too. I've always done the "conductor's wave" with my index finger when I've needed to count so I'm glad that isn't the preferred ~wizard pro~ style.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

rabidsquid posted:

Madmarker are you suggesting you cannot see the cards if they aren't moving. Are you a reverse tyrannosaurus

:eyepop: So this is why some people are annoyed when I calmly place my cards down to show what cards they know after they thoughtseize and ask them to do the same.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Serperoth posted:

At least it's not as bad as that subhuman trash that play lands behind permanents. :v:

:agreed: Lands are the primary resource and mechanic for this game so they should be in front. Also helps to prevent your opponent from cheating with them as easily.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Yeah makes sense that you'd want the game's primary resource and mechanic as far away from you as possible

Exactly, so you can see it better. Just like in Agricola or Stone Age where you place it above your tableau.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's a fun thing to talk about whereas talking about Magic's spiraling economic insanity is sad and makes everyone fight.

Only if you focus on the negatives. Focus instead on cool and good stories of people using their magical cards to pay for college or a new car. :)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nehru the Damaja posted:

A Magic thread about us all being sensible and quitting Magic would be odd.

Well, it's not mutually exclusive. My friend still plays even after selling enough to pay for a year and a half of schooling (so about $15-20k). It's just that you can also talk about the good side of wizard economics, even though it also results in inaccessibility and a host of other problems.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Don't trade it to the store. Try trading it with some people who frequent said store. Collectors will snatch up that opportunity ASAP and probably have an extra box of this set laying around anyway.

E: oh oops you drafted at home. That's a bit more difficult. Sell and buy unless you know people who want it. Up to you if you want to interact with LGS regulars/grognards :3:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rip in peace, these guys who were just trying to save us from preordering a bad set. :smith:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lightning Lord posted:

Is it really a job when you get paid product?

So they get paid by the company store. Even worse.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Now is a great time to get into force of will which p much plays the same but is improved. Before all your cardboard is worthless. :getin:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So for something more lighthearted, this article is cool and good: http://dsgcw.blogspot.com/2015/12/why-paying-grinders-to-play-magic-is.html?m=1 :3:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fingers McLongDong posted:

How far ahead of time are judges scheduled for events? Are the January events in danger of having judge shortages (assuming they don't all strike)?

Yeah this is what my friend texted me: (1/2) You understand what judge apps is right? It's the only way a non-judge had of contacting a judge. At all. Also, both of those L3's were on-staff for (2/2) the PT in atlanta in february and the scg open in january. Ben macdole was supposed to HJ that open in fact.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's almost like employing anti-social nerds to run your game company results in poorly thought-out responses when you need to engage with your customer base outside of press releases.

But at the same time, these nerds are the same group as the customer base that cares. Nobody playing kitchen magic is gonna care about this poo poo.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zoness posted:

But yeah I mean, why even play magic. Chill la Chill where's the Force of Will / Eurogames thread :v:.
Hi the general board game thread is the eurogame thread. (Just mention the hive mind and ask what it likes or thinks is good.) don't pay attention to Rutibex cuz he likes to troll and say he likes Talisman and dead of winter. You might want to get started with tragedy looper since that's a good anime board game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GeneX posted:

WotC should hold all events on MTGO for the duration of the suspension, to make the judges completely sidelined

:agreed: instead of judge calls it gives you mini DQs and hopes you don't come back in time. :3:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FordCQC posted:

Interesting quote by Toby Elliott:

So I guess don't duscuss leaks in secret FB cabals ok?

I'm going to try and get myself into as many FB wizard groups as possible and see how many it takes to get a temp/perma ban. This might take several years though and Maro might've finished killing magic by then.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yawgmoth posted:

And that's really the brass tacks of the problem; they don't see their customers as people who need to be drawn in (and kept in), they see them as wallets whose money already belongs to them and how dare you not give it to us. Which obviously has the exact opposite effect and debacles like this only punctuate their complete lack of respect for the people ultimately responsible for their continued employment.

Man, I can't wait to see how a CCG giant reinterprets and implements their version of GW's numerous business fuckups over the years if they go whole hog on this ideology. Maybe they'll erect a giant statue of Maro at their HQ.

E: lvl 2 judge friend said he's gonna lapse and just do FNM now, and maybe get rid of the rest of his MTG stuff over the next year

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 24, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

RTR one is the one I still use for all my modern/legacy uncommons and rares and it still holds up after these past couple years. I have a few boxes on top of it too so it's bearing about 10-15 pounds of load.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

whydirt posted:

There's a big difference in showing some basic self confidence and making dumb jokes during a stream or YouTube video in order to entertain your audience and being a jerk to play against face to face.

We're not v good socially so why would you ever assume we knew the difference? :confused:

E: there's a difference? :wtc: :psyduck:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

It also might help if the pricing model for spending a few hours playing with pretty computer pictures wasn't absolutely hosed in the head. I haven't played MTGO in years but I can imagine if I directly or indirectly forked out $14 for a draft (or whatever it actually is for cube/phantom drafts; my point is still relevant as long as it's more than like one or two bucks) and then lost round 1 in 5 minutes then I'd be pretty justifiably salty.

Magic wants to be a fun sportsmanlike game but it also wants to nickel and dime its players at every opportunity and somehow this creates a conflict of interest???
The big deal breaker for me is that if I'm gonna spend money on an online game I can spend the $15 on an actual working steam game - at least when Gaben deigns to allow it to work. Offline it's whatever, I have store credit I play with.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Terrible Horse posted:

By the way, I didn't think it was possible but this art is even worse than Origins

The art is all starting to look like static videogame concept/rendered art. Obviously, this is just future-proofing these new sets to accommodate our future MODO-only game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I found two foil ZEN Eldrazi temples while looking for my Gaddock Teeg, which I have 3 of. :peanut:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rinkles posted:

My guess is that Jund would happily play serum visions if it could - which this wouldn't quite be in that deck - but maybe it's close enough.

But that means you can't play IOK or thought seize turn 1. :ohdear:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I really want WOTC to start doing the contoured foils from Pokemon as the secret rare style after expeditions because they look and feel so nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's a sad state of affairs that we'll probably have drama over contoured foiling cheaters but they are cool and good. And the drama will be great!

• Locked thread