Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Gridlocked posted:

It would be more:

Enchanted land loses all abilities and types, and gains T: Add ♦ to your mana pool.

Rules support will probs be along the lines of:

♦ is a mana cost that can only be paid by ♦ mana. For example 2♦ would need to be paid for by 2 mana of any type and one ♦; not 3 of any type.

♦ is colourless; spells, effects and abilities that refer to a colour do not include ♦. This means spells and permanents that cost ♦ are also colourless, unless they have other mana costs printed (1♦U would be Blue despite having a cost of ♦).

Spells and effects that add colourless mana do not add ♦ unless specified. This means Sol Ring still taps for 2 not for ♦♦.

I think the idea is that (2) could pay ♦♦ in a cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

jassi007 posted:

GP Pittsburgh capped out today at 2500. The TO is trying to find a way to stuff more seats in the venue. Hope anyone that was going pre-registered.

I'm actually shocked they capped a constructed gp at 60$. Like I'm going and it's actually just the worst fun + worst value to play the main event.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Angry Grimace posted:

There are too many strategies that actively don't work and culminate in a mess of a draft. Green being actively unplayable doesn't help.

When LSV says a color or archetype isn't good in a draft format, if the format is good, that can mean its a sleeper archetype to get into because you get all the cards you need passed to you. In a bad format like this one, it doesn't matter, green still sucks and taking the open green cards is still a losing recipe. Its kind of the same issue with Converge and Processors - they're mostly random mechanics because they're entirely synergy based cards to work, but you're not terribly likely to actually get them.

Yeah green is probably unplayable which is why it didn't just win a GP

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

C-Euro posted:

I wish this had decklists so I could see some of the weirder stuff. Did anyone ever get a decklist for that UW Hatebears list? Asking for a friend.

I played against the guy randomly at a side table, but all I can tell you is that Thalia is really good against cheerios!

It was a cool deck. Maindeck meddling mages, sky hussar, thalia, and vryn's wingmare if I recall.

e; He was also super nice!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Barry Shitpeas posted:

there is no way that is the more recent templating

Alpha was just way better than current magic, judging by this card

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mcmagic posted:

This is wrong. Dragonshield Matte sleeves are by far the best sleeves you can buy quality wise. Though if you are going to the KMC Route, the correct sleeves are the Hareruya ones.

Shockingly, McMagic was right

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

bhsman posted:

Slight derail, but for those of you that love to hate on Randy Buehler and Wizards commentary in general, you should probably head over to Joe Losett's stream right about now. :v: This may have something to do with a conversation he had with LSV over Twitter.

God why would you recommend a stream with a miracles mirror on it

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

And the inexplicable resonance of some prairie with a Croatian name makes him go to a wizard's short-term memory rather than the amber prison.

Karakas activations are just Angus Mackenzie walking out to the person and saying, 'hey man, just chill'

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

jassi007 posted:

Templating was hilariously non-exsistant in early magic. I just picked up an Oubliette for my cube this weekend. My friends and I found the wording really funny. It exiles a creature, but exile wasn't a word so it has like 3 sentences of text to explain what exile means.

I mean...

e;

And forget about tokens being created in any sane manner

This is one of the weird quirks also with what "bury" used to mean.

Look at stangg, and look at terror

At some points bury means sacrifice, and at others it means 'destroy, and cant be regenerated'

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 25, 2015

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Why bother buying into modern with standard when you can just buy into legacy?

E: seriously I traded a pile of khans fetches and standard junk for a tabernacle and Karakas last weekend it's very possible to do now

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 28, 2015

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Count Bleck posted:

On the subject of lingering souls, what are the odds we get a strictly worse version that makes the same amount of tokens but with the mana cost on the actual card and the flashback cost increased?

I kind of doubt we'll see flashback around again soon. If I had to guess, with SoI, we'll see DFCs of some sort, but probably not any direct mechanic crossovers.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

JerryLee posted:

I actually wonder if we might not see madness. It's about its time, it fits with the speculation of tending towards a more lovecraftian sort of Gothic horror, and it's sort of like the inverse of Miracles but less toxic (which is why I thought of it).

Madness is never going to be in standard again, it's the only mechanic they literally can't print reminder text for.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

UberJew posted:

They just printed reminder text for madness in vintage masters, though

The reminder text is actually wrong though.

quote:

(If you discard this card, you may cast it for its madness cost instead of putting it into your graveyard.)

vs

quote:

702.34a Madness is a keyword that represents two abilities. The first is a static ability that functions while the card with madness is in a player’s hand. The second is a triggered ability that functions when the first ability is applied. “Madness [cost]” means “If a player would discard this card, that player discards it, but may exile it instead of putting it into his or her graveyard” and “When this card is exiled this way, its owner may cast it by paying [cost] rather than paying its mana cost. If that player doesn’t, he or she puts this card into his or her graveyard.”

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

JerryLee posted:

You mean if you take the entire comp rules description of an ability, it might be too long to serve as reminder text? :monocle:

The point is that the reminder text doesnt mention that A) the card is exiled B) it's exiled as a replacement effect or C) There's a second triggered effect as well as the replacement.

You can stifle a card with madness that's discarded. If you do, the opponent never has the chance to cast it, and it'll remain in exile. This type of interaction isn't common, but it's the type of thing that can quite possibly come up in a game and totally mess with the expected outcomes.

Here's one that could actually happen:

1) You cast a spell that has a discard as a cost: Tormenting Voice

2) As part of the cost, you discard Basking Rootwalla, a card with madness. It gets exiled as a replacement effect.

3) In response to the madness trigger, I cast Ulamog's Nullifier, put the Basking Rootwalla into your graveyard, and counter the Tormenting Voice.

You'd no longer be able to use the trigger to cast the Rootwalla for its madness cost. You'd also have 0 idea this was possible from the reminder text.

e; Also, it's a may on the replacement! So if you thought I might have the nullifier, you could choose to not exile it!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Pussy Snorkel posted:

It starts here, for sure...

Sol Ring
Tolarian Academy
Mishra's Workshop
Library of Alexandria
Bazaar of Baghdad
Yawgmoth's Will

To this I'd add

Necropotence
Grizzlebrand
Jace, the Mind Sculptor

and be pretty happy with the entire list. Power 9 aren't necessarily cards that are just "good", it's cards that, when resolved, up your win chance by like 50%. I don't think that demonic tutor does that on its own, and neither does tinker - if that was the case, crop rotation would also be on there.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Molybdenum posted:

Mythics dont replace rares, they replace commons.

Wat

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Pussy Snorkel posted:

I think

Necropotence
Time Vault

But not Griselbrand or Jace.

Time Vault, depending on which ruling you're going on, has been between worthless and only good w/ key.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Angry Grimace posted:

Yup, ♦ is just the colorless mana symbol confirmed.

Not really sure how expensive Filterland Expeditions will be. They're pretty much limited to being one-ofs in a few decks.

The best confirmation (and the obviously correct one from the start)

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Seriously I don't know why this was ever a question.

When a land produces ♦ it produces "one colorless" (previously a 1 in a circle)

If a card has ♦ in its cost, ♦ can only be paid for with colorless mana.

The only question is if (3) becomes ♦♦♦ or not.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Olothreutes posted:

Probably not. That would be a huge sweeping errata on basically every artifact ever printed. It's just a way to make the eldrazi into "woooooOOOOoooo colorless" things. The numbers in circles have always been any mana so they probably can't suddenly make basalt monolith cost ♦♦♦ because it would become really hard to cast suddenly without weakening your manabase. This could allow them to do neat things with better equipment now, maybe skullclamp isn't quite so busted if you have to run colorless producing lands.

Who am I kidding, skullclamp remains busted under those circumstances.

Jesus Christ again, no, the question is not if they will make (3) in a cost become ♦♦♦, it's if Basalt Monolith will tap for ♦♦♦ or (3)

e; Also my guess on the 20 is 10 filter lands, 5 enemy battle lands, and the 5 future sight lands (horizon canopy "cycle") with the 5th land being replaced by something

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 7, 2015

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

born on a buy you posted:

port is reprintable.

So are force and wasteland, doesn't mean they ever will.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Wastes land
Tap: add (D) to your manapool
Tap, (D), sac: destroy target nonbasic land

This would be the most powerful land destruction card they've printed in the past like 20 sets.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Wow look confirmation of the incredibly obvious mechanics. I still think new kozi is kind of bad but we will see. Also wastes as cards in pack is loving awful.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Oath confirmed garbage (larger pic):

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 12, 2015

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

whydirt posted:

The giant octopus pulls everything beneath the waves (into players' hands) and if you surge the octopus comes out to play. It's not perfect, but mass bounce has been flavored as tidal waves/deep sea creatures before.

Yeah but "Surge" in the context of that card is super blue flavored, which is weird since I'd assume its in at least 2 colors (probably 3?)

Also I hate this mechanic, but I dont know if it's just because I hated splice so much.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The Shortest Path posted:

When the standard format consists of decks that cost over a grand that wipe the floor with all other decks that don't, people tend to not play that format as much.

This standard is one of the worst we've had since LOR/ALA, imo.

On the flip side, it's actually a really fun standard if you own the cards to play it. I'll never be dissapointed in a standard that doesn't feature a pile of 20 mountains as a deck.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yawgmoth posted:

CoC d20 is hilariously bad, as are EDH, 2HG, & Emperor and for the same reason: it's a particularly shoddy attempt to force a game system to do something it's not equipped at all to do except on the barest "well technically" level. I never played Conspiracy because the "like draft, but with extra poo poo!" hook never interested me, especially when all the extras look as ridiculous as the EDH specific poo poo.

I agree with all of this except for Conspiracy because it was actually really fun (provided you were drinking (why werent you drinking if you were playing conspiracy?))

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Four Score posted:

Now that we're doing Legacy reprints, Wasteland feels flavorful :getin:

I mean, it's from the same set as Tomb

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh I hope so. I love my OG tabernacle but the colors are so faded.

It's reserved list. Nothing reserved list is getting printed as an expedition.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Rinkles posted:

The expedition frame remains bafflingly awful.

Worst crop so far.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ThePeavstenator posted:

What do you need to do to become a judge? I've been a referee for *real sports* before and I'd like to try doing some magic judging because I enjoy officiating despite the problems that come with the job.

For L1 the process is fairly simple - you'll need to find an L2+ to mentor you. Basically all that means is that they'll do some review of rules, get to know you, then when you both think you're ready, actually administer the L1 test.

You can go here to do practice tests. The 'easy practice' is probably what you want to do if you can't make L1 practice tests, but easy practice is actually generally harder than the L1 test. The whole rules advisor part you can do without a mentor, but it isn't required at all to become a judge.

As a reminder, you can't talk about specific questions from the practice or real judge tests.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Entropic posted:

That's basically what the Rules Advisor test is, right?

RAs can't really do anything beyond judge FNMs though (and you don't actually even need to be an RA to do that)

Like it's nearly 100% a shiny badge that just says 'you learned some stuff' without any actual functionality. I guess it lets you make L1 practice tests on your own?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

black potus posted:

whats the skill tester that puts therapy to shame someone please tell me

Doomsday

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Zoness posted:

So if Judges don't have previous access to the cards, then wizards isn't targetting judges and is just targetting people who are involved in a method to leak cards?

Sounds like that makes wotc more justified since they're, y'know, not specifically going after judges, just people who happened to also be judges.

Yeah the question is if the shorter bans on the judges weren't so much warranted due to leaking as much as "next time, say something if you know something!". In the latter case they were banned because they were judges that knew something, and wouldn't have been banned if they were joe schmos who knew something.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Being just one copy will not be that amazing.

I mean no it's not broken, but I'd wager that playing Strip Mine in a given game of limited will more than double the chance you win that game.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Rinkles posted:

What does "Crumbling Vestige is a card many players have wanted for a while." mean? The commander crowd?

(I keep seeing a withered Christmas tree)

It's kind of the standard "If I could design my own land, I'd make..." card. It's a very obvious design that has never been printed.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Holiday cube is ok it's a shame mtgo sucks

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Frozen_flame posted:

"Skinning Tendrils"1BB
Sorcery

Devoid

All creatures get -2/-2 until end of turn. If a creature would die this turn exile it instead. 
-----
Drown in Exile seems pretty needed. Should be pretty useful

Man this standard is going to have like 8 board wipes now isn't it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Why is grove of the burnwillows so goddamn expensive now that punishing fires is banned? Is it seriously just being a (non-mandatory) 4-of in Tron?

Also it's a 4 of in many legacy decks that do still run Punishing Fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Foreskin Problems posted:

Anyone have that picture of Jim Cramer? Relic of Progenitus hit a high of nine dollars today.

This was only for one version of it, others are still ~3$

• Locked thread