Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sickening posted:

Lets not go into the long debate why legacy is a dying format. It also uses conspiracy mechanics designed for multiplayer in a competitive format and that is embarrassing.

I will never understand people who have enjoyed standard at all since battle. Its just been so poo poo. As poo poo as regionals was, I laugh when I think about how many would have showed if it was standard.

Actually I think you'll find conspiracy mechanics in two player games are sweet as gently caress and also you're and idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Chill la Chill posted:

The popularity of legacy did jump when caw blade was in standard. And just like people jumping into modern via Jace VP, you could trade SFM and JTMS for FOW and underground sea back then.

This is because eternal formats are good and people generally only play standard because A) they think it's cheaper or B) they have to for tournament reasons

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I mean wotc has been designing for the lowest common denominator which is fine for getting new players and loving terrible for making enfranchised players remain. It's why competitive games at large are designed to be balanced at higher levels of play even if that means Shitheel McGee is confused when he plays a bomb into two islands.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Hey y'all it's the last day to submit entries for this week's Card Design Contest!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

GoutPatrol posted:

Retract is actually the best bet because it doesn't kill the deck but also significantly ups the fizzle rate. Makes it harder to dig for answers after trying to go off. Nothing else is similar in the deck to that as well. Good call.

What? Retract ban totally kills that deck. Like, no pulse dead.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

This is a loving mistake if this set isn't printed to hell and back

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Gates at common, trilands at unc, fetches at rare apparently

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Thunderous Wrath at common, lmao

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Rinkles posted:

Alternatively, they could leave them legal but ban having the two in the same deck.

This will never happen.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

🚨🚨 This is the police. Put the fake cardboard down and your hands up. 🚨🚨

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

black potus posted:

Zero is not one or more so scales/constrictor don't do anything.

Listen buddy that may be the way YOU think math works

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

born on a buy you posted:

#WotCStaff is to comply with FCC requirements re: social media and endorsements and has nothing to do with social media policy. Maro going rogue on his blog is actually an internal issue at wotc.

He tags his responses on his blog with #wotcstaff, there's no going rogue there

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yeah Maro's comment about seeing amonkhet before asking if they should have printed gy hate was a laugh. All I can say is that flashback 2.0 was the reason we didn't get gy hate for 4 blocks it was a lovely loving reason.

E ; if anything its a bigger reason to have printed it lmao

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Why pick a favorite forest?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Chained to the Rocks, Abzan Charm, Heroe's Downfall, Thoughtseize as a preemptive, THS/KTK standard had tons of answers to threats.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ThePeavstenator posted:

Duals with basic land cycling for each type? i.e. UW has Plains and Island cycling.

This would be insanely good

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

You mother fuckers complaining about your 50 dollar uncommons need to back the gently caress off of Imperial Recruiter's turf

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mcmagic posted:

You're talking a 2 or 3 for one and that is best case. NTM it's it's own clock and it's not like you won't back it up with disruption.

Delver decks are terrible at going wide.

Have you ever heard of our Lord and savior swords to plowshares?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mcmagic posted:

This card is AT WORST the 2nd best 3 mana walker ever printed. It might be the best one.

1) You won't attack into swords mana if you aren't terrible.

2) You'll have your own swords to protect gideon.

Both lilis say hello

1) guess he isn't much of a clock then
2) stp is strong against council's judgement.

Have you ever actually played legacy?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mcmagic posted:

That isn't how planeswalkers work. It sits on the table and generates more card advantage as it sits there because you only pay for it once. If it blanks a creature for 2 turns that is already card advantage.

That isn't how card advantage works

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Btw for those of you who don't know, Virtual Card Advantage is a term used to indicate the prevention of Card Advantage by opponent, or loss of CA yourself. If I Counterspell my opponent's Opportunity, I've gained Virtual Card Advantage.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

If I play a Chalice of the Void on 1, and my opponent has 3 1 drops in hand and doesn't cast them, that's Virtual Card Advantage.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

This Gideon is very good in standard, but mainly because the other Gideon exists and is very good.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Man all this talk about three mana walkers makes me think about how sweet Dack would be in this standard

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

This seems low key VERY good

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Im more thinking it's a 4 point burn spell in zoo or similar

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

anglachel posted:

Games of paper Legacy are hard to find IRL, and it's an expensive format. There's my hot take from somebody who owns one Legacy deck and has never gotten to play it in person.

I play legacy in a 20 person tournament p much every week or so, it depends on where you are.

The format is fun as hell and honestly if the cards were cheaper it would be the most popular format in magic. Like miracles is a gently caress, but it's getting beat down by new leovold decks, so maybe the wheel is spinning (it isn't, ban CB)

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I was 3-0 at eternal weekend in 2015 with standard Naya Dragons because it turns out shops has a hard time w/ t3 dragonlord dromoka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Pontius Pilate posted:

So that's how you get to beginning of combat!

Fuk

• Locked thread