Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Unless that art can be found elsewhere on a non-Wizards site, those are likely real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

But a parasitic mechanic that by virtue of being in the 2nd set can't have much support isn't how you add something big splashy and cool. :psyduck:

It's not a huge mechanic, it's just "Hey, when you pay for this spell or ability, at least X mana must be paid with colorless only."

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Why does Mirrorpool "T:♦" specifically if ♦ is just "pay me with colorless!"

It may just be the same as "Tap for 1" or it's like Snow mana.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Apologies if this was already brought up, but if the new symbol just means "Must be paid with colorless mana," then doesn't this make the Enemy Painlands, like, really good?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Mirrorpool should've been called out because 5 mana and sac is far below what they'd price a land that makes a clone. Christ Foundry of the Consuls costs 1 more to make 2 1/1 fliers, and it didn't also have the ability to Fork.

3 is what Mirari costs to Twincast spells, though, and you're also comparing a Mythic Rare to Uncommon in abilities. Obviously MIrrorpool isn't a card they'd want to be as common in draft pools as Foundry.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Wurzag posted:

Seems weird that kozilek doesn't have indestructible or a similar ability.

I think the idea is that Ulamog is just incredibly tough and doesn't give a gently caress, whereas Kozilek distorts reality to protect itself (via the countering mechanic).

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
So what numpad combination are you guys using to recreate the diamond? :v:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

Hold ALT, press 4, release ALT.

♦ Thanks~ ♦

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Lets Pickle posted:

I think the spoiled cards are real. If they are fake, they're by far the best looking fakes I've ever seen. I'm guessing that <> is just the new way they have to represent specifically colorless mana. This means that all old lands will have to be errata'd but it also means that going into the future new lands will get printed that produce <>. Printing a basic with no land type is a pretty simple and clever way to sidestep the issue with having a 6th basic land type. It's so obvious that you can do that but without colorless specific costs there is no reason to do it. Also the Kozilek flavor text paralells Ulamog's.

So one of the mechanics of the set is costs that can only be paid with colorless mana. This seems fine, I don't think it has enough design space to carry more than a small set. It's odd that they are now making a colorless mana symbol 20 years into the game, but whatever.

I don't think the pain lands or any lands that said "Tap: Add (1) to your mana pool" will be any different, it's just that for this set the diamond will represent a single colorless mana.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Apparently a charity stream is running a raffle for an entirely foiled-out Zendikar block collection for people who donate multiples of $13.33? For anyone interested.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sarcastro posted:

I know we're all using "diamond," but we're all aware those are hedrons, right?

Yeah, but it's more fun to make diamond puns. :v:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Bugsy posted:

This is cool look at everyone favorite beefcake from origins.

http://originalmagicart.com/art-in-focus-enthralling-victor-by-winona-nelson/

quote:

For the mood they said: “sometimes there is no recourse but to give in and stare at the sun,”

:swoon:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Agreed. I hate playing against it too, it's probably the least interactive deck in modern. Somewhat comparable to storm in legacy, but at least legacy has cards to minimize the risk of losing to storm so easily.

Unironically reprint Force of Will for Modern, but that's me.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Without brainstorm this probably wouldn't be as bad as anticipated but it'd still take playing against twin from fine to absolutely miserable. There's so many fun cards in legacy, it's sad it isn't supported more. We only scrounged up 5 players for legacy night last week and it's even 75 card proxy.

Edit; I'll accept FoW in modern if I can have Mom in modern too

I think the thing about FoW that most people don't appreciate is that the cost to make it free turns it into a very 'fair' card IMO, and as you say with Brainstorm not legal it's difficult to counteract that loss of card advantage as quickly.

Plus, if nothing else it would give Wizards a look at how a format with Force but no Brainstorm plays out, and how that could affect Legacy.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
As someone who played Amulet Bloom, SSG is a bad ban target because there are other, arguably more swingy combo decks that need it as well as a considerably more 'fair' combo deck in Ad Nauseam. If you want to make Bloom more fair, I think Hive Mind is a good target because it takes the most likely version of the uninteractive win out and forces the deck to win via combat damage and opens up creature removal as a counter to the win condition. You can still get incredibly unlikely turn 1 wins, though.

Unironically reprint Force of Will for Modern.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

suicidesteve posted:

So there's 1 deck that uses it in a "fair" way and every other deck abuses it horribly. Ban every card in Amulet except I guess Serum Visions because that card is laughably bad.

I mean, having a degenerate combo that doesn't win tournaments seems acceptable; the difference between those and Amulet Bloom is that it consistently does well.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

suicidesteve posted:

I'd argue that the inconsistency is even worse. Do you know how miserable it is to lose your tournament to someone playing some inconsistent deck like that stupid Griselbrand deck when they just happen to draw the perfect hand to kill you turn 2 on the play and there's nothing you can do to stop it because modern isn't allowed to have actual answers.

At least with Bloom you know you lost to A Good Deck that's at worst moderately consistent. But like, oops turn 2 Griselbrand with Thoughtseize backup is pretty stupid.

You're not wrong on how lovely that feels, but it's the same as losing to an obviously under-skilled player/newbie, a gimmick deck, or just mana-flooded/screwed. Besides, gimmicky combos that don't always do well are, like, the mascot of this thread. :v:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Irony Be My Shield posted:

SSG is a 0-1 of in Amulet lists, banning it would do very little to the deck. I suspect that its main purpose is to allow you to palm a turn 1 kill

Or draw it naturally, but yeah.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

The wheels kinda fell off today. Started off 1-0 to go 9-1 and then got 0-2'd by affinity on exact damage 2 games in a row when I had the game the next turn both games. Then lost 2 more in a row to twin not drawing any of my SB... ID'd the final round to get the cash but not what I hoped for after yesterday...

Sorry to hear that. :( What were you running? The Affinity deck?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Slight derail, but for those of you that love to hate on Randy Buehler and Wizards commentary in general, you should probably head over to Joe Losett's stream right about now. :v: This may have something to do with a conversation he had with LSV over Twitter.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Cactrot posted:

Tuned in for a second and heard linkin park, not worth whatever that was about.

Owns.

Angry Grimace posted:

Why would it be? I have no idea at all who that is. I know who quite a few dudes are, but typically only if they've done something that's likely to come up in a forum discussion as opposed to being being a regular pro level magic player.

He tends to play just Legacy (though he's won a few Standard SCG Opens) and is most-known for his Miracles variant. Reid Duke talked at length about what Joe means to Legacy about a year and a half ago.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

bhsman posted:

Slight derail, but for those of you that love to hate on Randy Buehler and Wizards commentary in general, you should probably head over to Joe Losett's stream right about now. :v: This may have something to do with a conversation he had with LSV over Twitter.

For anyone interested, Joe uploaded the entire game on Youtube (that will likely get taken down for music copyright at some point).

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I don't know if it's in the Youtube video itself, but I loved the part where he started raving about FlipJace. :v:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Congrats, Steve!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I like that some Planeswalkers are actually working together now rather than just loving around in the Multiverse willy-nilly, but at a certain point I wouldn't mind going back to 'regular' people; the stories eventually get less compelling because none of the characters are relatable.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ramos posted:

The color wheel is exactly what the game designers and writers need it to be at any given time.

Here is a white card with a 1BB cost.

Flying vampires that use +1/+1 counters is a very black thing, though?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

Are there even Merfolk on Innistrad?

If there isn't, the introduction of a Cthulu-esque threat with Merfolk worshippers would be as good of an excuse as any.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Oath 2-drop spoiled?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Didn't they bring back a Stifle effect AND Madness in the same block awhile back? Granted, that block was Time Spiral and there was some far more felonious poo poo going on there as far as game design is concerned, but still.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

whydirt posted:

Yeah that definitely burned him up on the inside.

In public he effected a neutral face, but I'm sure he felt very heated about it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

whydirt posted:

It's a miracle he didn't punch someone, to be honest.

To be fair, LSV tends to be reserved when he's seeing red.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Night Danger Moose posted:

Quoting this for myself so I can check it out once I'm not on mobile. I adore your work.

You could always just use the Mark as Read option, for what it's worth. :shobon:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
For anyone interested, Joe Loesset is doing a debriefing of SCG Denver and doing giveaways for chat participants, starting with cards from his Bring to Light deck and moving on to playmats, etc.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

suicidesteve posted:

I'm sure it's the only card with the ♦ in the set.

There's also that mythic rare land that can copy spells/creatures, which brings me to my point: There haven't been official spoilers yet, and the cards with this new mechanic have been mythic rares, which tend to not have reminder text IIRC. I bet you we'll see a Eldrazi bear that costs 1♦ or ♦♦ and says (♦ may only be paid for with colorless mana.)

There's also me saying it's fake, but I've accepted no one here believes me, so I am saying it at my cats.

Hey, Willy, Mirrorpool is faaaaake.

If and when you acquire a copy of Mirrorpool, take a picture of you holding it up and apologizing to your poor cats. :colbert:

(Or just provide a picture of your cats :3:)

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Someone complained about there being no reminder text on Kozilek. :shrug:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Dr. Stab posted:

Except now colorless mana is ♦, so it'd say (♦ can only be paid for with ♦) which is basically not saying anything.

Well, personally I think the ♦ is going to be unique to this block as a mechanic and not evergreen going forward; even the land may just have "Add ♦ to your mana pool" as a block-unique thing or even only expedition-unique.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zoness posted:

Too bad primal groudon is way better than primal kyogre lmao.

Yeah, he's way better at being worse. :c00l:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 10, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Please for the love of god let there be a Price of Progress reprint in Oath.

Modern Burn with Price of Progress :tem:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I think new Nissa is pretty decent; in a control deck, she provides chump blockers and ends up just giving you life and card advantage. In an Aristocrats deck she could also be good, but a slower deck may like her better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

JerryLee posted:

rabidsquid and black potus (and mcmagic in his capacity as a straight man) are basically the only things keeping this thread readable sometimes

Likewise, they are sometimes the only things making the thread unreadable. :shrug:

• Locked thread