Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Procrastinator posted:

this is actually never a thing that's true

Usually it's fine, realtalk, but 10% of the time or so potus just keeps hammering on a joke with consecutive posts and it's just not doing it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Re: How everyone views the forum - I just save my SA bookmark to the User Control Panel; it lists all of your bookmarked threads in one spot while also telling you when you have PMs.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Niton posted:

I'm sure it was - Jim Davis is famous for, among other things, taking something like three hours to finish an untimed match earlier this year.

e:

Pretty sure he also wrote the response to the "Why the MTG community is unhelpful at best to making female players feel welcome" that was so bad it was taken down quickly and Cedic wrote an apology article to replace it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Merry Christmas, y'all :3:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Looks like I was right about mythic rares/rares not having reminder text about colourless mana but the commons would, at a minimum.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Reflector Mage is finding a spot in my Peasant Cube at *checks watch* lightspeed.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Oath of Nissa, even if it was only a green Ponder, is still pretty good.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Cardboard Crack is not only OK, it gets props from me for coming down on the side of people who are OK with including trans characters like Alesha.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rinkles posted:

What is it with this thread and making Magic sounds like an awful game all the time?

Goons have no chill; you should see the Street Fighter 5 thread.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
The only real Modern control deck is U-Tron. :shittydog:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I've said this before, but you could keep 95% of Amulet Bloom legal, viable, and still dangerous by just banning Hive Mind. It removes the need for Simian Spirit Guide, forces the Bloom player to win through combat damage with vulnerable creatures, and while the chance of a nut hand is still possible, you basically need a perfect hand.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

This seems maybe very good? I am bad at detecting important cards in this card game.

Seems decent; 2/3 for Vigilance at 2cmc is good value, and late-game is becomes a 4/5, and all with added benefit for any man-lands you run.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I think the idea is that the Eldrazi are able to avoid taking physical damage due to their inherent bullshit, so Jace found a way to lock their physical forms in place and Chandra just took care of the rest.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Top Level Podcast's preview card is pretty cool; it's a 2cmc colorless instant that can counter a sorcery, make a Scion, or exile a 1-power/toughness creature.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mandatory lesbian posted:

literally has an AT field, haha

i love eva-drazi

Makes the actual killing of them (and their previous nigh-invulnerability) a little more reasonable.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

rabidsquid posted:

Grinding out every possible advantage is one way to play, or you could be like that awesome Japanese pro who kept reminding his opponents to pay their pacts because he didn't want to win a game on a rules mistake

Or you could do both. :shrug: Though the latter of obviously very admirable.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

Give judges discretion to resolve whether ambiguity actually exists.

We tried that and then Erie v. Tompkins happened. :eng101:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Gridlocked posted:

Apparently Gaby Spartz is now doing official coverage commentating. LSV talks her up but I have never watched her content. Is she any good or are we getting Randy 2.0?

Check her streams if you get the chance and decide for yourself.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Oh hey it turns out a billion unfunny, passive-aggressive "Twin is totally getting banned, you guys." ended up being right, dummies.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Tempo doesn't go away with Twin, it just doesn't have an "Oh, I win." card; I'm intrigued to see what decks pop up.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TheKingofSprings posted:

Tempo now gets to die slowly to Tron because it's become a fair deck

We'll just have to see.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Bans haven't really increased variety in the way people are hoping. Either they tone down the power of a deck so that it makes up less of the meta-game like the way DRS bans toned down Jund (which is good), or they make an archetype disappear entirely the way a Nacatl ban killed zoo (which is bad). I can't think of a single time a ban has suddenly led to the flowering of new decks. It's almost always new cards that bring archetypes from Tier 2 to Tier 1 or back from the grave.

True, but by that same token new cards can also make decks worse; Necatl was unbanned and Zoo isn't taking over a format with Siege Rhino et al in it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Count Bleck posted:

So, uh. What's your opinions on the standard Mono Colorless deck?

I don't know if a purely colorless list would work; most seem to be either mono-B (at least technically), BR, and even Mono-G for Collected Company.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah, I'll never understand why people unceremoniously poo poo on the Weatherlight storyline; I thought contextualizing events in the story, particularly big moments, with cards was pretty cool.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I always remember 'D' as 'defense' - as in, if nothing else you can always durdle, though it should be last on your priority list. Even LSV likes grabbing a Yoked Ox every once in awhile.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

legoman727 posted:

So, looks like the Shadow over Innistrad is not Emrakul after all.

If this is real then I'm hype for it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
O-oh... :smith:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Count Bleck posted:

Also, Jace.

Wanna build this deck and replace Jace with Elusive Spellfist :shobon:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Gensuki posted:

Isn't this the winter of perfect mana? Could you make a temur list?

Mana Winter sounds like a cool way to describe how hosed Standard has been, at times.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Cernunnos posted:

From what I've seen/read of him Jim Davis is a terrible person (or at least not a very good person).

Davis wrote the response to the "Women in Magic" SCG article and it was so bad that it was pulled and Cedric had to issue an apology for it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Gaby also wrote an article on ChannelFireball about women in Magic and got hired on as part of a fresh blood plan for MTG commentary.

EDIT: She's the one who's married to the guy that started Pottermore and is a millionaire now IIRC.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Pack Guardian is really cool, I'm gonna need to find room for that in the Cube.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Niton posted:

Chalice is fine. The problem cards in Eldrazi are Eldrazi Temple, Eye of Ugin, and (arguably) Simian Spirit Guide and Thought-Knot Seer.

I agree; Chalice is only so much better because of the lands enabling it.

I'm still in the camp of "Don't ban SSG" as it would indirectly be banning out Modern Ad Nauseam, but that's JMO.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Apparently Christopher Rush, another Magic artist, has died. :(

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
As the owner of an FoW playset, seeing it printed at uncommon would've been totally fine, but I understand them printing it at Mythic. Complaining that they didn't is like Smash Melee complaining about them not putting wavedashing, an entirely unintentional mechanic, in Smash 4.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ramos posted:

Let me break that analogy for you: Smash 4 isn't toting wave dashing behind a cost barrier.

You mean other than buying it? :v:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
It got called weird earlier but Errant Gin Monks is literally being that guy who is angry about Smash 4 not having wavedashing.

I understand where you're coming from, EGM, but they just aren't going to reprint FoW at uncommon

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

PJOmega posted:

Don't think anyone is saying FoW should have been an Uncommon. It could have been a rare. But it is a mythic and magic thread gotta bitch about coulda-shoulda-woulda.

Given the option I would just do away with Mythic Rarity altogether, but I can see them looking at not only the power of a card like FoW in limited (which may make more sense as we see the card pool they put out - imagine if Food Chain and Misthollow Griffin both make it in? Even just making Blue good would be enough of a reason), but also it's historical place and it's position as a defining card of Legacy that it 'deserves' a high rarity. I don't agree with it, but I can see the reasoning.

The other thing is that this is presumably the first of other EMA sets, so it's not a given it'll always be at Mythic Rarity, though Tarmogoyf's continued placement at that rarity in MMA is not encouraging.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Oh yeah I knew it wasn't coming back as uncommon. But mythic isn't going to budge the price, and that sucks since it will mean legacy still won't grow.

If you knew then why all the anger? If you're merely frustrated about it, then sure, but your posts are bordering on 'Wizards is being spiteful just to be spiteful' or even conspiratorial.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I was more frustrated with people saying it's cool and good for FoW to be mythic because reasons. it's not cool and good. It's completely foreseeable but it's not good.

I think people are mostly happy that FoW is being reprinted, period. I don't think anyone here is genuinely happy about it being at Mythic Rarity level, and this is someone who stands to lose value on my own copies because I'd rather have people to play Legacy with than some sort of perverse pride at seeing a deck I'm working on top $3k on TappedOut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Similar to Serra Angel; is there a comparable 6/5 red flyer with that ability?

• Locked thread