Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The real reason that they're doing two sets per block instead of three now is so they can have a Zendikar block about Ulamog and Kozilek and save Emrakul for a third Zendikar block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I hope you all follow rk post on Facebook or Twitter.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm in a queue for the Vintage cube and drafted Naya beatdown. My opponent plays Show and Tell and shows Blightsteel Colossus. I show Duplicant.

1-0 so far.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
And then I lose it all to UG Fastbond and Grixis. That was about as much fun as sticking my pecker in a toaster.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Saying Oath of Jace just puts "Ace of Bass" in my head.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Wizards lied people died

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Ban graveyards. There, I fixed Magic.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Zoness posted:

Ken Nagle spotted.

That cuts deep. Real deep.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Konstantin posted:

Amulet Bloom is fairly unusual in that it broke out a hell of a lot later than it should have. You can build a list with cards from AVR and earlier, but it didn't really become a top deck until more than a year after that. Any reason why people didn't play it in the era of Jund?

I saw someone play a precursor of the deck at a Modern PTQ in January, 2013. They had the general strategy of the deck down and played an assload of lands and beat me to death with Primeval Titan. I do remember them playing Oboro, Palace in the Clouds to recur landfall effects, but I don't remember what for. I ended up winning the match 2-1 with UR Faeries on the back of Blood Moon. In fact, I placed ninth at that PTQ on the back of Blood Moon. I don't think I won a single game one and nearly all of my wins came from riding Blood Moon to victory.

EDIT: Ob Nixilis. That's what they killed me with.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 4, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Bugsy posted:

Did it make a bunch of mana then tooth and nail for patron of the moon and Ob?

I don't remember if it played Tooth and Nail. It probably played Patron of the Moon, because I remember there being Kamigawa cards I had never heard of outside of Azusa.

It's been three years, so I don't remember the deck list.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You know, if I hadn't seen the post about Spikeshot Goblin being the best common, I would have passed it. At least I got one as the first pick in a pack. Tried GR beats but it didn't work, but I finally made it to round two in one of these drafts and someone passed me a Glimmervoid.

Eighth Edition was the worst. I couldn't even win with my tried and true core set strategy of drafting every single white and blue flier I can because every common is so woefully underpowered.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Blood Moon will forever be my favorite card in Modern.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Annorax posted:

It's even worse on MTGO, Daze is a loving $30 card now on there.

It has been for a long time. The only way there was to get it for several years was through the Jace vs. Chandra duel deck, where there was only one copy of it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I got passed two Arrests after going p1p1 Arrest and two Shatters. I was also passed a Glimmervoid in a draft before that one.

I think everyone's caught on to Spikeshot Goblin being the best common in triple Mirrodin, but I'll sure as gently caress take all the good removal and force RW.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm going to buy out every copy of Storm Crow from Alliances and crank up the price of them to like $1. Same with Chimney Imp.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

black potus posted:

so did David Bowie *runs quickly out of the thread*

rip the original Starman

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So are they like going to ban people that print out a shitload of proxies for gauntlets and stuff?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Doing Magic illustrations digitally (or just any kind of illustration) means that you don't have to go through the process of making copy work and you can edit work much more easily.

I mean, I'd kill for a printmaker to do some Magic art, but doing it digitally means you don't need nearly as much space for equipment, don't have to have the equipment or pay someone else to do your copy work, store the artwork, and don't have as much of a risk of having to completely start over if a piece is rejected by the art director.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So if drawing a clock with legs on a Plains and crossing out the title and writing Time Walk on it is considered counterfeiting, then can we call card alters counterfeits and ban them too?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Alris posted:

R.I.P. David Bowie :(

rip the original Starman

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I wouldn't even know how to tell if a card was made by a Chinese printer.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cernunnos posted:

Neither would a WotC employee. :v:

Seriously. If a counterfeit is that well made, how the gently caress am I going to tell the difference from a pristine Revised Underground Sea and one printed in a warehouse in Hong Kong?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

I work in a sporting goods store that sells canned air and all the dumb tourists visiting Denver think they might need a can when they go skiing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I hate everyone and everything and want to post about it on the Internet. Is this the right place?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Chill la Chill posted:

This or the GW death thread, but the latter has a lot of anime. We love our anime there.

I like durdly midrange creature decks and control, so the removal of Splinter Twin from Modern makes life nice.

Also, banning Deceiver Exarch instead of Splinter Twin means that they attach the enchantment to Pestermite instead. I knew someone that tried that deck for double Standard Extended in 2011, before New Phyrexia released.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

stinkles1112 posted:

So does anyone else think Sylvan Advocate has the potential to be stupid good? Isn't this guy gonna be the better part of a Tarmogoyf plus an additional upside a lot of the time? Plus recurrable with Ojutai's Command, seems real good to me.

Remember Scute Mob and how everyone tried to make it work for a month?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mcmagic posted:

Brad's a nice dude. I have no issue rooting for him.

Brad Nelson's a drunk.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Drone posted:

Would play more Magic if the average player looked like that.

Edit: not the idiot in the blue Hawaiian shirt, but those beachpeople.

What, you don't play at a country club with a strictly enforced dress code? Pleb.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Just as a reminder, this is where that Brainstorm illustration came from:

All of the Power Nine illustrations in VIntage Masters except for Black Lotus have similar origins. Why do you think Volkan Baga was commissioned to do FTV: Relics' Mox Diamond and Mox Opal :v:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If Modern Masters has taught us anything, the price of the reprinted chase cards just stays about the same. Reprinted Volcanic Islands are just going to be $180.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BJPaskoff posted:

Most of the Eldrazi deck, except for the manabase, is from one small set. drat.

Also, is everyone else very mildly annoyed by players at their LGS calling colorless mana "Wastes" or "Waste mana"? As in, "Reality Smasher costs four and one Wastes".

The artistic liberty most Magic players make with their words annoys the poo poo put of me.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I guess you could say that this was Pro Tour: Rise of the Eldrazi.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cactrot posted:

Was PT:ROE the caw blade one? Because it does seem similar.

Look at you, missing the joke.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This is the Games Workshop death thread, right?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Everblight posted:

https://twitter.com/DarklandsMierce/status/697084284595806208

he's signing at fan conventions in Heaven with Quinton Hoover :(

Wayne England, everyone.

The Lorwyn commands and Worldgorger Dragon.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I used to be okah with redrafts so long as the place was up front about it. Then I opened a foil Chandra, Pyromaster in an M14 draft and took second place. I haven't been in a redraft since.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sickening posted:

So they weren't up front and you gave them your cards anyway?

Should have noped right out of there.

No, I knew this place did rare redrafts and had been in a few already. Then I played at one draft, opened up the money card of the set, and lost it because I went 2-1 instead of 3-0.

I came out on top with value because our pod managed to open up a lot of valuable mythics when M14 was new, but losing it because I didn't play well enough or whatever turned me off of doing a redraft ever again real quick.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The shadow over Innistrad is actually being cast by a giant groundhog.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How do you regenerate artifact creatures with Weldibg Jar against a Wrath of God?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

bhsman posted:

Apparently Christopher Rush, another Magic artist, has died. :(

Jesus. Two in one week.

• Locked thread