Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Man I want to live forever so long as I keep a game of Magic in a corner somewhere. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

This is old magic, where the question of "does Wrath of God affect Black Knight?" is answered by "flip a coin".

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Wow this is so exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ramos posted:

It means extra cool and awesome with an added vulnerability to a white hate card called Holy Water. I'm seriously seeing no upsides aside from the implied cool factor anywhere.

So it's a lot like Snow then, as this is basically how Snow was back in Ice Age.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Punishes snow lands:IIIIIIIIII
Rewards snow lands: IIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Both at once??????: I
Changes snow lands: II

I may have counted wrong but you get the idea. And sometimes the reward is as marginal as "you get more mana for cumulative upkeep."

The four best rewarding-snow cards are 3 different "prevent all damage" effects that recur for sacrificing a snow land, and Pestilence that costs 1 less.

Imagine if 40% of Theros's enchantments matter cards were punishing the opponent for having enchantments and the pick of the litter were Fog, Fog, and Fog.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Swords to Plowshares was originally costed at WW.

Perhaps they should've kept it that way.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
This has Swords to Plowshares and Southern Paladin and other card concepts printed in Alpha.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fiend Computer posted:

Can we get a StP but with "target creature takes up farming?"

I will be perfectly fine with "takes up farming" becoming rules text for exile, controller gains life.

Just put the rest in reminder text and it'll be fine.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It'd have to go by Reality Twist's oracle text.

quote:

If tapped for mana, Plains produce {R}, Swamps produce {G}, Mountains produce {W}, and Forests produce {B} instead of any other type.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cactrot posted:

Tuned in for a second and heard linkin park, not worth whatever that was about.

CRAWLING IN MY TOUGHNESS

THESE WOULDS THEY WILL NOT HEAL UNTIL END OF TURN

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ramos posted:

He's also not at all white or blue and basically took up a spot where a far cooler commander could have been.

Zedruu is so loving weird she covers 93% of Jeskai commander design by herself.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

Wait you can bounce your own legends with Karakas? Whoa! Why would you ever do that?

Mangara exiles himself as part of the resolution of his ability, not as a cost. You can bounce him before it resolves and the opponent's thing exiles itself just fine.

It's a trick Death & Taxes pulled off back in the day, at least.

And of course bouncing your own legends to dodge removal. No luck making Brimaz take up farming today!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The Mangara/Karakas interactions is one of those weird ones, too.

In any other set this ability would exile him as part of the cost. But this is Time Spiral, where tiny quirks in the rules text are entirely intentional and providing edge cases is the reason.

I'm not going to let a little thing like insincerity get in the way of explaining tiny quirks and edge cases.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

He's trying to pull them into the prison with him.

And the inexplicable resonance of some prairie with a Croatian name makes him go to a wizard's short-term memory rather than the amber prison.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
While 6th edition gets a lot of historical attention for its rules changes, we shouldn't overlook 4th edition attempting to standardize templating.

Today Hurricane and Earthquake vary only in saying "with" or "without". But here in Revised one says "suffer X damage" and the other "does X damage".

Seven cards used the word "suffer" in their text, besides Kagemaro, First to Suffer referring to itself.

Involved is a card saying both "do"ing damage and "suffer"ing damage. In Revised these both became "does". Simulacrum, Hurricane, and Rock Hydra still used "suffer". Sumulacrum and Rock Hydra use it sorta like "damage received this turn" but Hurricane is still dealing damage.

Sometimes it was just silly.

Goddammit Shatter I wanted to destroy that artifact!!

Thank you.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Yawgmoth posted:

pay them $30k/yr,

Apparently they can't even do this with programmers for half of their revenue stream so there's no luck here.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Just get rid of the stuff that literally does not work and the 0-cost mana accelerators and it'd be a pretty plain old set. A bunch of overcosted creatures, weird spells, and things Blue should not really have.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Large sets have 15 mythics, small have 10, so it would be 25 if something is large+small sized.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ramos posted:

Punishing Abzan

Some guy just won with a non-blue deck. I know they call it Abzan, but it has a nice mix of white hate bears and the Jund advantage engine.

Punshing Rock isn't anything that new though. :confused:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

bhsman posted:

I like that some Planeswalkers are actually working together now rather than just loving around in the Multiverse willy-nilly, but at a certain point I wouldn't mind going back to 'regular' people; the stories eventually get less compelling because none of the characters are relatable.

I relate perfectly to Jace as I do in fact know everyone around me really is that simple and my real life was Ender's Game before I started going out with a chick literally thousands of years older than me who likes dead bodies.

E: her name is an anagram for "perverted antagonist" so it's like WoTC gets me

E2: Also I am the Constitution of the United States.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

It's a BW legend with a awkwardly-handled life gain/sacrifice mechanic. Seems likely.

E: I'm gonna go ahead and guess the name's Ayli. After Noyan Dar I'm suspecting they're gonna bring back an original block flavor text character again, and her name is the only one short enough to fit under that glare.

The question is, will they bring back Jaji, Magmaw Worshipper, or perhaps Magmaw itself?

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 2, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BJPaskoff posted:

I can't wait to see how they retcon werewolves back in.

The cursemute is defeated when Avacyn gets trolled on the Inninet and she realizes the real evil is man.

Alternatively, going by her M15 card being smaller than her AVR one, she shrank and shrank until she was no more.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lottery of Babylon posted:

for the record the source is every post ever made about zackary "at least I'm not a pedophile" jessie

Man you can't get away with nuffin', no matter which thread, huh?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

Please let this mean what I hope it means in January

Yes it means they are banning Splinter Twin. There is no other possible outcome.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dehtraen posted:

I swear that says 2015 instead of 2016. And as stated earlier by someone else the white mana symbols look slightly off

That's because it's a blatant fake, anything with ♦ in it is fake, it's all fake! *psych ward men enter the room* You guys agree it's fake right? *they put me in a straight jacket and start dragging me off* FAAAAAA- *they slam the doors on the ambulance and drive off*

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

Fetches and duals are fine. The problem is there not being a valid way to punish it. The "feel bads" is hurting good game design atm.

What could punish it that would be good but not aggressively good? Tec Edge and Enroaching Wastes are about it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

tunnel ignus :laffo:

At least that was a learning experience for hate cards for last fall's mechanic, since Stony Silence, Ash Zealot, Rest in Peace, Soldier of the Parthenon, and End Hostilities were all good.

BFZ doesn't have any blatant "gently caress you wedges/dragons!" cards, but since "gently caress you wedges!" is kinda hard to do and "gently caress you dragons!" was already in DTK itself I guess they didn't feel the need.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

suicidesteve posted:

I hope so. I'm so tired of Ancient Tomb.

Non-basic hate does it just fine but Wizards doesn't like people interacting with each other outside of combat so here we are.

Nonbasic hate any more aggressive than Tec Edge is also contrary to BFZ's own mechanics, but sure.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Eikre posted:

Oh, the rulebook says that just means colorless mana, oh, and basic lands can tap for it, too! I didn't know that, but that will be useful.

It also makes Wastes existing a stupid prospect. "Here's a basic land. Lol syke its strictly worse than all the others you garbage turd idiot."

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

stinkles1112 posted:

Yeah if referencing the stack is too complicated, you certainly can't use the word "respond" which doesn't even have actual rules meaning

Reminder text doesn't have to hold to rules meaning.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Someone, I think it was BJPaskoff, mentioned how Split Second's name is misleading.

Because evocative names are really important. Double Strike is much easier to grasp because it says "double" on it. That means it strikes twice, and the reminder text is just the technicalities of that. The name alone tells you the big upside, hitting twice. Flying is much the same way. Why can't Goblin PIker block Skyhunter Skirmisher, but Storm Crow can block? It's because Skimrisher just flies over the dumb piker.

I guess what they were trying to do with Split Second is "this happens so suddenly no one can do anything about it."

But the rules of Magic just don't support things instantly happening, and the flavor just isn't there. Two cards have sudden in their name and that's about it. Why is Celestial Crusader happening instantaneously? How is Krosan Grip any faster-happening than any other Naturalize-kin?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GeneX posted:

Let me try to sum up the arguments:

It's good because (1) means different things on non-basic lands/artifact ramp (you get 1 mana that is colorless and cannot be used to pay for colored costs) and on everything else (you may pay for this without regard to where the hell the mana comes from.) You don't have to use (1) to pay for (1) costs, unlike with every other mana symbol in the game, and that's weird. Also, it restricts tge power of decks running no cards that make colorless mana, which helps weaken fetchlands, possibly significantly.

It's bad because it is essentially a 6th color for cost purposes. That's weird as hell for reasons ranging from a lack of mechanical identity for colorless things to powerlevel concerns for such pillars of fair magic (this is sarcasm) as shops, tron, 12-post etc. Also it involves an absolute ton of errata.

There's also me saying it's fake, but I've accepted no one here believes me, so I am saying it at my cats.

Hey, Willy, Mirrorpool is faaaaake.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

bhsman posted:

If and when you acquire a copy of Mirrorpool, take a picture of you holding it up and apologizing to your poor cats. :colbert:

(Or just provide a picture of your cats :3:)

Nah, if they're real (they're not (I have to believe)) I'll just pester my cats with them since I play Animar and Kessig alone is too many colorless-producing lands, so gently caress anything ♦-themed.

And post pics obv.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Deceptive Thinker posted:

lol at people complaining about this when it's only even been a consistent thing since 8th edition - a little more than half of the game's existence
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=11140

That's more than mythic rares, auras, equipment, vampire tribal, colored artifacts, nonartifact colorless spells, and sheep.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Literally The Worst posted:

there's no chat thread anymore so this is the closest thread i have to post about card game bullshit

there's a kickstarter to resurrect VS System

i look forward to that game dying, again

Which stretch goal is Antarctic Research Base?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rinkles posted:

Probably getting the first official Gatewatch spoilers during the World Cup this weekend.

If it is anything ♦-related I am going to flip my lid, get real upset, then remember I need to obtain some anyway so I can take pics with my cats.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

Guess OFS needs to take pictures with cats now.

In other news, this Kozilek is still rad as hell.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Oath will be the worst set ever

These are all correct.

Boy I love all-in parasitic mechanics that have negative synergy with the previous set and have 12 cards to work with. 5th Dawn was my favorite set BTW.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

stinkles1112 posted:

This is my one gripe about this whole thing: it seems really antithetical to Devoid. But the rest of the set could easily alleviate those problems. However I think characterizing the colorless costs mechanic as all-in or parasitic is a misevaluation.

It's also antithetical to Converge, and to regular deck-building which doesn't get colorless without Lodestone Golem around it's either a cost easily mitigated, making the stunt pointless to even introduce, or it demands centering deckbuilding around it or not using it at all, parasitic.

quote:

I didn't see the presentation, did they really say there are only twelve colorless costed cards or are you just joking around?

Well it's a theme in a small set, it's not gonna get much action, u less they abandon themes from BFZ and make those the disappointing wastes of time.

Regardless it won't look pretty.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more saying "It doesn't play nice with converge, therefore parasitic" is really pretty dumb

It also hates Devoid! Don't forget that the colorless mechanic and the colorless mechanic don't work well together. Which by extension gets Processors as all ingesters are devoid cards and nothing in true colorless below 7 mana exiles. {c}-cards are gonna have to do a lot of work to get over being bad with colorless cards. Converge is just part of it; Kozilek's Chaneller and Hedron Archive and Pilgrim's Eye are the only spells in BFZ that cost less than 6 mama and don't oppose colorless-only, because the rest are colored or punish colorless.

This is going to be dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

PJOmega posted:

BFZ is also going to be 1x whereas the new set, a small set, is going to be 2x. Give it a rest Chicken Little.

That changes everything re: colorless having no synergy with itself in pack 3 lest you pull a spawning bed.

It's also Constructed, that C cards won't work in Standard unless they are hilariously strong. And Kozilek in tron/MUD I guess. Being a theme in a small set does that.

• Locked thread