Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Seems like a waste of an opportunity for a sixth mana type if it's strictly Eldrazi based. From a design perspective you wouldn't be able to do much with it for non-eldrazi sets, and overall the pool would just be too small for it to do much elsewhere- just like snow mana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
All the discussion about a new mana symbol has got me and a buddy talking about 'snowdrazi', and, well

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Recess Rapist posted:

I feel like I saved $150. Is this what it's like when you don't buy cards? It feels good. Does anyone read this thread who spends no money on Magic? How good does it feel?
I also don't spend any money on it.

This is strictly my preference, but I feel mtg was best for me when it was myself and 3 others making goofy terrible decks out of a camp counselors old rear end card collection of Craw Wurms and Frozen Shades. Limited pools, basically.

I imagine pre-web you had your local car shop or friends to get cards from. If a card from a set didn't exist between the two, you were poo poo out of luck. Nowadays if you want to play a deck, $20 and a few google searches and boom you've got that deck.

So, instead of spending that $20, I just proxy cards. Draw up a goofy picture for it, print it out, put it over some generic lands, and play it in a sleeve. I don't like to play super competitive, nor do I just proxy out P9 so most folks I play with don't seem to mind. Granted, between me drawing the card up, printing it, and cutting it up, I might be spending $20 worth of effort, but it still feels more like I earned the deck than just going on some online market for it or playing the booster lottery.

Feel's good.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Dehtraen posted:

I swear that says 2015 instead of 2016. And as stated earlier by someone else the white mana symbols look slightly off

Symbols look fine, but that does indeed look more like a 5 than a 6. It's a pretty awful image tho.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I hope they're real, cause it looks like an interesting mechanic that could be cool for the game. Presumably since it's a basic land and far-reaching, it wouldn't be a one-off thing. 'Wastes' is a generic enough name that it could be anywhere, afterall.

Just posting some optimism.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
The real question is how long we'll have to wait to get snow-covered Wastes.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

fakeneet asked: So, you said earlier that C in terms of mana production will happen regularly, C in terms of mana costs sparingly, but what I want to know is if you know / are allowed to tell us if Wastes will be printed in all/most sets from here on out.

A. It will not.

quote:

fattestfatty asked: Will colorless mana in the casting cost be used outside Zendikar?

A. It will not be something we use often, but it could show up again somewhere else if appropriate.

quote:

garookthemindscalper asked: Will colorless mana be a one set thing or will it be used in future sets?

A. Colorless mama in all sets us now . Most sets will not care about it like Oath of the Gatewatch.

Man. That's a shame.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I can see how folks who's job it is to put together an announcement package might be disappointed that all the air was already let out well ahead of said event. And for a mechanic as interesting as the colorless mana now being symbolized, having an official explanation of it to go along would have been helpful.

It's not like anyone but the 0.1% of folks who care wayyy to much about this card game really benefit from knowing what's coming in the next set ahead of announcements outside of having more ample nerd water cooler chat topics. We want to know because it's fun thinking of what we can do with said cards, but when that is is kinda irrelevant to that.

I just hope he realizes how 'ehhh' that article is. He has a few ok points, but the tone is a tad on the dramatic side.

/WoTC Sympathizer, still avid spoiler reader

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I bought a box for nostalgia, and for many other reasons, and am planning on doing a draft in November with it. I didn't buy it to make a profit, but think the notion of making some of the money back sounds nice if things work out that way. Question:

Is it better to crack now, see what's in there and repack it OR wait til November?

Can't wait to draft this :3

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Star Man posted:

Burning Wish, Cunning Wish, and Living Wish are bad cards, everyone. Pack it in.

Hard disagree. They're really fun to play in your house when you take the text at face value and just go digging through your collection to get a card. They're flavorful and have a unique effect. Good cards.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I wonder if the flip side of that creature is going to be a land township or something then. The flavor!

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

PrinnySquadron posted:

Here's Harmless Offerings full art by the way:

The bandage on his thumb is amazing and would be the best part if the kittens face weren't so gosh darn adorable. Awwww.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Cernunnos posted:

I don't know if you guys have noticed the Tail-Mouth yet or not.
(that's why it's hilarious)

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
So Innistrad's toast after this right? Seems like this is the kind of thing worlds wouldn't come back from.

Really hoping they don't nix Emerakul in this set and instead just have her run away again. The anti-climatic end of Oath wasn't very interesting, and man there are a lot of mechanics that would be fun to revisit sometime. Not necessarily soon, but sometime.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Ok so they're just binding her to the moon then?

Well alright. That leaves enough room to bring er back at some point.

I suppose there's nothing stopping them from just making new Eldrazi Titans too though- it's not written in stone anywhere that there's just the three right?

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Why do people want the reserved list gone?

- It's a tiny slice of the total cards out there

- They've shown time and again if they want to they can more or less reprint them whenever they want- just with alterations. Sometimes those are major (the critter cycle that turned enchantments into critters for example), but they've also been pretty minor (Timetwister comes to mind). Generally these reprints are less strong, but that's kinda the idea right? A bunch of the reserved list cards are bonkers and from a time when they didn't know better.

- It's a promise they made the players. While a lot of folks obviously want it gone, there's a certain level of trust the reserved list ensures. Not that anyone really trusts Wizards, abolishing the list after this much time would be pretty off putting.

- The only place in which you'd get to play many of em' is Vintage/Legacy... are there that many people who want to play competitive vintage? Making proxies out of lands is a fine way to play casually if that's what your into. Or just hop on Cockatrice.

It just doesn't seem like that bad of a thing to me, and in the grand scope of things pretty insignificant.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Right, but you can. Just not in tournaments. There's nothing stopping you and buddies from proxying cards and duking it out.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Is there a major difference from playing with friends vs. tourney play? If you want to play the card game, there's nothing stopping you. Anyone who frowns at someone else for playing a proxy instead of spending $300+ on a piece of cardboard (provided it's made clear your'e doing that before you play) so they can play the game is an rear end in a top hat.

I guess I find that strange that you require a tournament setting to feel like you're playing the game.

I'm not trying to sound dense here, I'm legitimately curious.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

That's completely different from actually playing legacy and vintage. The vintage community is the best in the game and 99.9% of the players will never get to experience that (though to be fair if it was more accessible the format would probably be as toxic as the rest of the game.)

I wonder how much of that has to do with that the Vintage community is probably made up of 30+ year olds that have been involved in the game for ten years or so.

Could the community host their own unofficial tourney's? Is that legal? Prize support may not be as nice, I suppose.

Points taken. Allowing proxies in tourney's for reserved list cards seems like a better solution then abolishing the list.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

Literally if you ever say to someone "also you can just play on Cockatrice" like okay it's cool that you don't value your own time but at that point I know you aren't worth listening to on any subject for that reason.
I use it to play buddies that I no longer live near occasionally, and from the sound of it MTG:O is pretty awful. Sometimes we do Vintage games there because we're on an even playing field. I'm not sure enjoying the free interface someone built for it = me not valuing my own time.

rabidsquid posted:

"Sometimes I like to go out and have a drink with friends"

'haha you loving idiot you can make wine in your own toilet for basically no cash'
no idea why you're interpreting my posts as if I'm writing with some sort of malice.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I appreciate the answers folks.

There's probably a fair amount of nostalgia as well in the list I imagine that fuels the desire to play with those cards straight up- as opposed to slightly nerfed reprints.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Madmarker posted:

Also, the problem with Cockatrice is that since it doesn't enforce rules...either via judge or hard coded into the system like on the trash fire that is modo, so most matches end up being typed shouting matches over who played what wrong until someone gives up
I actually like the non-enforced rules quite a bit as it makes a game somewhat more realistic. Systems that ask 'do you want to react to this' between each card are super tedious to play through imo.

'Typed shouting matches' sounds like something that just kinda happens on the internet :). I wouldn't enter a tournament or anything official on Cockatrice, but for getting a few games in, it's enjoyable enough.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Elyv posted:

It's never been clear to me why they can't print like

code:
Worselands
Land - Swamp Mountain
When ~ etbs, if you control 7 or more lands, you lose 1 life. 
in a supplemental set, since it's technically worse than Badlands
I imagine they don't make that because they don't want to enable 8 badlands in one deck. Instead they make fun ones like this, which is in many ways what you're asking for:

Entropic posted:

So you're not gonna see Snow Duals either any time soon.
? They have:

Entropic posted:

They feel like if they make close-to-functional-reprints that are too good it's "breaking the spirit of the reserve list".
This is discounting the fact that straight up reprints of dual lands (and many of the reserved list) are straight up bonkers cards. I think there's a fair side of development to think of- if they print regular snow dual lands than they also have to update all the banlists to accommodate for that, and so on and so forth. I mean look at Treasure Cruise.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
It's kinda a shame how well MtG can be solved nowadays. I wasn't playing too heavily in the game before 2000, but I have to imagine there was a bit more diversity in tourny decks in an age before the internet makes top tier decks quickly searchable.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Neato. So if you attack with 4 critters, does that mean you get to exile the top 4 cards? Or just 1?

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

kas posted:

Using this as an excuse to repost this thing I made. (where is Return to Time Spiral block?)

Ooo. Do you have the templates for those posted anywhere?

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

GimmickMan posted:

What I don't get is why they don't just transform the embalmed creature. Why does it have to be a token? Would it be too strong with bounce/flicker effects?
They probably don't want you to be able to just bounce the creature back into the regular sided version. Flavor wise this seems neat, I can dig it.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
what the what what

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
where's the desert reprint :smith:

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

AceClown posted:

And yet WotC refuses to acknowledge the secondary card market or the price barrier to entry of this children's card game.
Probably less than 0.01% of the total players of MtG care or want to build the very best deck ever. Most folks are just making a deck with cool goblins because it's fun to play.

I still hold that the best Magic you will ever play will be the decks you build out of a pool of miscellaneous junk cards with friends also building out of that pool. Where Hypnotic Specter is king and you don't actually understand how Frozen Shade works.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
For what it's worth the artist had that picture up 5 weeks ago.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Is there space for more deserts? Cause that sucks.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Card seems fun, but above all else man that's a pretty card. Colors & layout are lovely. :3:

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Mikujin posted:

Here's a thing.

I want to believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Goblin and Merfolk is a sure bet, but it'd be nice to get Clerics for B/W and Trolls or Werewolves for Green. Could even go Shaman for G/R, but that's probably a bit too niche of a tribe.

Agreed. It'd be really cool if they didn't just do Goblin / Elves / Humans, etc.

Werewolves! Dwarves! Thrulls! Wizards!

• Locked thread