Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Hey a new thread! I'm doing origins draft again tonight, no one showed up last week so I decided to buy three boosters and cracked a Jace.

Origins drafts rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Next power nine is fun but top sure as hell isnt on it.

Mishras Workshop
Sol Ring
Demonic Tutor
Yawgmoths Will
Necropotence
Tolarian Academy
Mana Crypt
Tinker
Balance

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I'm getting tired of the 4 and 5 colored standard good stuff decks. Oath needs to come with Price of Progress. That will end this bullshit real fast.

Also ban it immediately in modern or burn will just wreck shop.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Attorney at Funk posted:

Would the LGS as it currently exists even be possible without the MtG secondary market?

Probably. My LGS around 2-3 magic events every week and has huge rooms for war hammer, armada and x-wang and whatever other bullshit people want to play. They make a majority of their money off of comics, manga and graphic novels. I always thought it was Magic but the owner laughed and said Magic was good for making the store look busy and bringing us in to buy packs, sleeves and cases.

They also have a L1 judge as their full time event coordinator who is full time staff.malthiugh on days nothing is scheduled that needs a person to oversee she works in the store like a normal employee.

Exit: oh and my store doesn't sell singles.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Wijaya straight trying to cheat on camera. No wonder he went almost undefeated.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Rinkles posted:

What did he do?

Tapped 6 lands and left a shambling vent and a sunken hollow untapped. At the end of Julianos turn made to untap everything, swapped the vent for an island, then said wait, retapped it and tried to dig through time. Judge had to stop it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Angry Grimace posted:

Players even at FNM level just untap lands in my experience to cast poo poo all of the time, its kind of crazy. I don't want to make a stink, I just make sure they notice I caught it. They always to a man claim it was some kind of mental error and that they weren't intending to do it, but that sounds pretty suspect.

Yeah but this was he had 8 lands untapped. It's Julianos turn. He taps 3 to counter something, taps 3 more to counter another thing. They went through it. Juliano thought for a second, passed turn. Wijaya looked at his lands for a second. Untapped them. Swapped the vent for an island, said wait, retapped 6 lands leaving two islands open and tried to cast DTT.

That was deliberate and on purpose since he tapped his mana wrong.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 14, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

I once had a Deathrite in play against Reanimator, used my Bayou to cast a Thoughtseize then played a Badlands and realized I'd just lost the game. Never made that mistake again!

If you were a pro you would have just cheated! Next Level Magic.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Oh hey the cheater won. Cool.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Sickening posted:

Is koz's return playable in tron over pyroclasm?

Probably. It's also going to make eldrazi ramp in standard brutally efficient.

Also Nissa and Chandra are both bad. Chandra has gotten hosed so many times that card should be 2RR but then it would be mind sculpted broken so good it isn't.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Bread Set Jettison posted:

This is a really cool design for a common land

Already have good feelings about OGW

Siege demon bouncing off seige demon while gaining life every turn forever.

Good job WoTC.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Kor Haven should have been reprinted for real. It would be so busted in modern.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Rinkles posted:

It the sort of card I really don't like being mythic.

Yeah that's a definite mythic feel bad crack. All removal should be uncommon.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

TheKingofSprings posted:

As in it's a bad card? I want to open 4 of those, do you not?

Probably not. I'm never going to play eldrazi ramp or tron. But I will definitely trade them away.

I am going to want those demons though. Playset.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Konstantin posted:

I don't like that design much, 4 life every turn will lead to some very long games, and the requirement isn't that hard to meet. Hopefully they print good removal that can deal with this.

Hopefully they reprinted loving bajuka bog, tormods crpyt, relic of progenitus and rest in peace. I'm so loving sick of graveyard recursion poo poo in standard.

Also surgical extraction and extirpate.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Gensuki posted:

Why is Wasteland 10 times the cost of stripmine? Is stripmine banned in everything?

If strip mine wasnt banned in everything it would be so fuckin brutal. It kills any land, including basics. I would play 4 strip mine 4 wastelands in lands and you would all die all the time.

It's good it's banned. Very very good. If you don't play legacy where you are constantly playing around wasteland you don't know how loving painful strip mine would be if it was let loose on the world.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's cool in the Eldrazi deck, but it will probably see a fair amount of play in standard as a very mundane instant-speed sweeper. Having one of those at $5 sucks.

Radiant flames is just as good and cheap. It won't see much play outside of eldrazi ramp, where it will be very loving over powered.

Cast ulamog, exile your lands, all your dudes die. I win.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Return will be great in Eldrazi. I can see it as an SB in atarka red, if you can prowess your creatures above its reach its a great instant speed wiper to get through whatever they have blocking. It could also go into jeskai black against rally decks to wipe out their guys when they do an eot coco.

I can POSSIBLY see the Sphinx as an SB card in miracles mirrir matches. It costs a lot but an end game beater that can force your cantrips through counter balance might be a thing in really slow games. I'm not sure.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Ramos posted:

How is Atarka Red going to use it? It requires casting an Eldrazi spell to get the big flashback effect and the deck hasn't even been using the Radiant Flames card.

Also, the Sphinx still costs seven mana. Even if it's a mirror breaker in Miracles, I have difficulty seeing most games get that far with lands, especially since casting one leaves you wide open and vulnerable to a slew of angels.

It wouldn't be useful for it's second mode, but if you have some swiftspear a and abbots out, an atarkas command and this on your turn during the combat phase can wipe their small creatures off the board and allow yours with their prowess triggers to survive and crash in as an alpha strike. It's an instant speed pyroclasm. That's not bad.

Force of will exists in legacy as does daze. Both counters don't require mana, so tapping out wouldn't be the end of the world. Besides your counters can't be countered with this guy in play. So you win.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Rinkles posted:

This seems incredibly best case scenario/winmore thinking.

It's the only red sweeper available that's not converge. Why would it be win more? Pyroclasm is a good card that is used all over. Printing a new one for 3 seems pretty relevant in standard. It's dumb that it's mythic, but it could do some work. Radiant flames isn't anywhere near as good.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mandatory lesbian posted:

i thought it was pretty dumb too but i think all the people who can't seem to wrap there heads around the change are also dumb to be quite frank

like i instantly understood what was going on when i saw the change i don't understand how you couldn't tbh

Basically this. It's not that loving hard to figure out. My buddy got it pretty quickly as well in 2 questions..

"What's this diamond poo poo now?"
"It's colorless mana."
"So you can only spend colorless instead of anything on it? Like 2 colorless and 8 whatever else?"
"Yes."
"That's cool."

Now stop trying to overthink this poo poo.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

little munchkin posted:

All the stores near me have a policy where if you open an expedition you can buy the pack for 5$ and open a new one to draft with. Gonna cause some feelbads when I open up a strip mine and can't play it.

That's what ours does. Or if you get something dumb like Gideon - foil Gideon you can buy another pack. But it has to be an expedition or something that never should happen.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

quote:

If I was a pessimist I would say that BFZ is what we'll look at in a few years when we try to pinpoint the moment that Magic tripped on its dick and started to bleed out, but I don't actually think the game is going to be any smaller in 5 years. But between expeditions being a sales gimmick to shore up set sales while being coupled with the most uninteresting sets they've done in a long time doesn't leave me excited for new magical cards. And as a huge magic fan that bums me out in a way that mediocrity in something I'm not passionate about wouldn't.

I'm bitching so much not because it's the literal worst thing they've ever done (Homelands and Fallen Empires exist) but because I had really high hopes for this set and it's failed to meet them spectacularly.

I actually really like BFZ. The power creep in Khans has gotten stupid so this is one of the sets that squash it back down. I'm actually hoping innistrad is even less powerful. Sure it's not completely overpowered and ridiculous like original zendikar but that's not really necessary.

I'm enjoying landfall and converge and dumb big aliens. It's a sight better than loving seige rhino.

Voyager I posted:

C opens up a lot of design space for the future to print good colorless cards without having to worry about every single deck being able to include them at no cost. Right now they've done that primarily by having colorless-only interactions, but C is a more elegant solution for the long term.

Agreed on the actual implementation in BFZ and Oath being kinda weird but whatever.

I agree, I think they should make some badass new artifacts and equipment but use C. That will be more better.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Sickening posted:

I would assume it has something to do with him only being a contractor. That really surprised me when i leared that. I have always wondered what cedric and patrick made as being commentators for SSG but I always figured that since the coverage was a such a big marketing tool for them that they had to at least pay something decent. considering he was only a contractor I can only assume not having insurance and other benefits is a pretty big deal. Good on him for getting a real job.

Really sucks though, hunt is going to make me want to mute the stream more often than not. Going to be a lot less motivation to watch the stream.

Edit* It does appear that he linked the converage change in his twitter post as well. Maybe they will have less events to cover and he will make less money?

The way he said it made it sound like he had been a contractor at Activision for a year. Maybe I read it wrong.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

TheKingofSprings posted:

You are legitimately insane

Perhaps. But it's how I feel. I'm not enjoying the ridiculous mana bases of fetches and duals at once that allow for 4 and 5 color good stuff decks with very little down sides. I'm tired of 4/5 trample lightning helix for 4 mana, I'm tired of Jace (and I use him, and yes I know he is from Origins). Atarka red can legitimately win turn 4, which is ridiculous.

Standard is decently fun, don't get me wrong, but I am hoping that when Khans rotates out it will calm it down a little. BFZ draft is all kinds of fun.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

TheKingofSprings posted:

You just listed 2 good cards that are 2/3rds surrounded by a pile of garbage for deck filler

E: Take a break from Standard, go play some Modern or stop playing until the next set comes out, you're at the point where you're bored of Standard

It's quite possible. I took a month off to draft BFZ but we aren't popping at the store for draft recently so I went back to standard. I could go back to modern, playing burn is fun.

Sickening posted:

I can't fathom how you would have this opinion unless you haven't played any other standard before.

I have played standard for longer than its been called standard. And I'm not saying is is the most powerful standard ever, hell it may not be powerful at all and I'm just burnt out on it. That's totally possible.

Full disclosure I started playing in 1993 when I was in Highschool.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

Re; Sullivan. It's pretty insane that being the best at your job of anyone else doing that job can't get you a good salary...

Well his job is to talk 2 days a week for a company that is cutting back its events because they aren't making enough money on them. Good salaries don't usually come from part time work.

That being said I hope he enjoys Activision and that we still see him a few times a year. I always enjoyed him the most.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but 7k people or so watch those streams. There is no way what he was doing wasn't worth 100k a year.

That's completely ridiculous. 7k people isn't really anything. 10 times as many people watch hearthstone streams daily. Sports commenters make around that for something that millions of people listen to.

Also 7k people that don't make any revenue from ads or anything on a service they stream for free. Not a good way to make a 6 figure income.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

Sports commentators make way more than that...

Local ones don't, and they have a much bigger audience that's propped up by advertisement.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

jassi007 posted:

It is a lot of marketing speak to avoid saying things like "sales are down"

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc/31833_.html

They're reducing events overall, splitting the year into 3 seasons instead of 4, which cuts 1 invitational, and basically canceling all west coast events because travel costs etc. are to high. He even put a call to a large organizer who might want to run west coast events.

That's what I have seen thus far. To be honest I have never bought anything from SCG. they are too drat expensive. I watch them and enjoy heir streams and buy from tcgplayer when I see cards utilized in a way that I find interesting.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

jassi007 posted:

I have once or twice, some sales or some prices are ok. I went to one open, and it was run well. I actually like SCG's booth at events, they often have mp-hp case with some stuff at good prices.

OH I guess in have traded for some HP revised duals at their booth.

Sigma-X posted:

If you think WOTC is going to pay out $60k/year to PSully to do the Pro tours when like the Pro Tour Pots are $120k/year combined you are kinda delusional.

Commentating this game is a part time job and given that PSully has been a game designer for many years, prior to his commentary run, he probably is just as excited to be working in that field than streaming.

The dude likely has bigger aspirations in life than "better at talking about magic than Randy Buehler"

Welcome back Sigma. This is much better than your C hate,

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Dungeon Ecology posted:

How about Carrier Thrall? It only sorta ramps, but it does provide double the bodies for Zulaport fodder, and is fine against more aggro gameplans.

Blisterpod maybe?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Dungeon Ecology posted:

ORI Jace looks boring as hell on his face, but look at that price tag now.

Yeah if she hits low teens I'm picking her up in case she ends up busted.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Angry Grimace posted:

It is on the format, but if and when WOTC does anything about them, people flip out about reducing format diversity.

Ban lantern, summer bloom, batterskull and Goryos.
Unban DRS, Stoneforge and punishing fire.

Shake it up.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Because they do it in a clumsy way that kills entire ways of playing.

E: or cuts people out hard from the budget options. A friend was building storm before it got banned, then moved onto eggs right before the ban. Now he's onto killing Twin :v:

See above post.

Also your friend is doing Gods work.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

I didn't literally say that. It was pretty much "I'm out of top 8 anyway, I'm only playing the last match for fun, and you're going off on turn 1 with a deck I can't beat. Later NERD."

You should have thoug. Just be all "I came to play magic not watch you tug your tiny dick. I'm out you fuckig nerd!!" Then knock his deck into the floor as you sweep your poo poo into your bag and don't apologize just stare at him until he picks it up.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't even think Batterskull's interaction with SFM is all that broken.

It's pretty broken. Besides no one uses it now so getting rid of it and unbanning SFM would be fine.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Terrible Horse posted:

Craig seems OK. There's been a few awkward moments and he and Cedric are still trying to find a rhythm. Mostly because Craig is very serious when he's not joking, and very deadpan when he is joking.

I like Craig.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Terrible Horse posted:

The modern Eldrazi deck (that was the reason for the Eye and Temple spikes, I think?) is on right now.

You made me look this up.

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/modern-masters-2015/eye-of-ugin

What the gently caress is is garbage? 100 bucks for a set of Eye of Ugins? That's ridiculous.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

JerryLee posted:

I said it above, but just in case it seemed like a joke, I honestly think Dust Bowl might be the best of both worlds. It fixes the wasteland "problem" in similar fashion to Tec Edge, in that it can't sucker-punch someone in the first few turns of a game (silly mana acceleration scenarios aside), but it offers a significant buff over Tec Edge in that it has the potential to slowly gently caress the poo poo out of any deck that was planning to spend the game sucking its manabase's dick.

gently caress that noise. Reprint standard legal strip mine, watch hilarity ensue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, they don't play Magic at all

Close thread.

So to add content. My buddy came into town the other day, he is a casual player and put together a modern-ish Aggro elemental deck that flings 10/2 guys at you to win. He had been dominating his other casual friends with it. After 10 games of losing to modern burn he decided he did not like playing magic anymore. The final straw being I was at 8 he was at 13. He flung a guy at me for 10 damage, I deflecting palmed it and followed it up with a lightning bolt.

I feel like I accomplished something.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 2, 2016

• Locked thread