Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Why would that artist literally copy and paste the Titans so flagrantly? At least slightly redraw them from the new angle.

Also if they beat Ulamog and Kozilek by setting them on fire that is definitely the stupidest possible resolution to this storyline. Clearly the way to defeat Phyrexia is to set their glistening oil on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

This is presumably meant to be the same battle from each of the superfriends's perspective. I'm assuming there will be a white and blue one from a slightly different angle too.

Except it isn't from their perspective unless the Titans are literally two dimensional sprites from a fifteen year old rpg so they look the same from any angle. I thought it'd be a mural, but Nissa is covering up Kozi's arm in her card, and that arm is clear in Chandra's. It just seems lazy and uninspired not to shift the titan's a little to change the perspective. Look at how far away Gideon is - if the titan's aren't redrawn for his card then it's going to look very weird next to Jace's.

Nibble posted:

I doubt it - in the art and flavor text, Bonds has Jace and Nissa, Fall has Gideon and Chandra. They might have similar cards to better represent Jace's and Gideon's contributions elsewhere, but I don't see them having even more cards depicting the exact same scene.

There's definitely no excuse for not doing a redraw if it's just two cards and not a full four.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

Aaron Forsythe
Aaron Forsythe – ‏@mtgaaron
Corrupted Crossroads doesn't say "colorless spells" because that would read too bizarrely. Apologies to the Etched Oracles among you.
11:36 PM - 4 Jan 2016

Sad

We wouldn't want an Eldrazi spell card to be bizarre.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I'm 100% correct that McMagic is between 20% and 80% correct.

e: also wow that's really dumb. They won because they used fire. Jesus wept, Wizards, fire Creative.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 5, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

Hello Magic thread. I have recently been given the Meren Commander deck as a gift. I began tinkering with it, and found I have some rules questions.

1. If I have Meren and 3 creatures out and the opponent wipes the board, do I get 0 or 3 experience counters?
2. I have Catacomb Sifter and Sakura-Tribe Elder on the battlefield. I sac the Elder to search for a land. Do I Scry 1 before or after the searching for a land?
3. I target the ETB effect of Duplicant at someone's Commander. He chooses to move it to the command zone instead. What is the P/T of Duplicant?
4. Also on Duplicant, is the card permanently exiled that it hits with the ETB effect when Duplicant dies?
5. My opponent controls Vigor and a 1/1. I swing with a 4/4 Trample and he blocks with the 1/1. Am I allowed to assign 1 combat damage to the 1/1 and the rest to the player, or do I have to assign all 4 to the creature?
6. My friend is playing Ezuri, Claw of Progress He plays a Bonehoard with 3 creatures in the graveyard. Does he get an experience counter?

I think that's everything

1. 3. They all die at the same time, and Meren "sees" that three other creatures died.
2. Before. You sacrifice the Elder as a cost to use the ability, so when the ability goes on the stack, the Sifter sees that and triggers.
3. 2/4. The original Mirrodin wording makes it more clear, but if that card isn't specifically in the exile zone anymore, nothing is imprinted so Duplicant just reverts back to a 2/4.
4. Permanently exiled until some other card says otherwise.
5. Trample is a good ability, you deal 3 damage to them and the 1/1 becomes a 2/2.
6. Probably? The 0/0 comes in, triggering Ezuri, and then the equipment attaches to buff the 0/0.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

WhalerWren posted:

Aaaand I missed one.

Quality story-telling.

literally destroyed by fire what the gently caress is this

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Oh hey potential Pauper playable. Hopefully Cloud and/or Delver eat a ban so I'm incentivized to try it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Elyv posted:

pauper is actually a pretty powerful format I think, would people even play a straight up 2U 3/3 flier?

Stitched Drake is really good if you can avoid getting it Snapped, and I'm playing three Stormbound Geist in my Delver 75. Beefy fliers are just good.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Literal Hedron Crab.

If only the card name was Crab Hedron.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

superstepa posted:

Is MTGO worth it for pauper? No stores here play paper pauper and I really want to play a competitive format but right now I can't afford a legit modern or legacy deck. You have to pay to participate in MTGO pauper tournaments right?

If pauper wasn't being played so heavily I would not have MTGO installed. When they intentionally sabotaged the daily events, I did not play any MTGO. I started again when they brought Pauper Leagues into existence.

Pauper is very fun. MTGO is excessively terrible. Think of it this way, comparing this thread to MTGO - Pauper is that Chandra/Jace+Sorin photoshop, the MTGO client is McMagic's posts. You've gotta decide whether that's worth it to you.

also I haven't paid money into MTGO for like four years so ask someone else about financial junk.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Anyone who has ever drafted 3x Mirrodin should be doing the rotating MTGO draft of that right now. Nobody doing it has a clue how to and it's very fun. I'm wheeling spikeshot goblins and it owns so hard.

Yeah this is pretty ridiculous. Didn't even get any of the really good equipment, but a pinger is great, and 5ing something is worth four mana.

Holy crap was blue overdrafted.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Why the sideboard detonate, even w/ 2 shatters?

Didn't want to overload on artifact hate and get smashed by a Green deck. Green appeared to be getting cut from both sides, so I'm worried about that.

First round I discovered Clockwork Condor isn't a loving Clockwork creature like I'm used to from Shandalar, so I got super punished for not reading my cards. My 3/3 becoming a 2/2 instead of a 2/3 was unfun. It probably should be that Goblin Dirigible, since that untap ability is pretty great with the Gauntlets.

I don't think Detonate should have been maindecked in hindsight. I'm glad to have it to side in, but I have a lot of artifact removal already.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

it comes with some poo poo for a new player draft. i don't know what this is as my account is like 13 years old or something stupid

You get 5 regular event tickets and 20 "new player points", which is enough to do 5 new player drafts. They're regular drafts with a 4 player pod, you play two matches and get untradeable packs as prizes. The packs are weird five card packs with random cards from whatever set you just drafted. I made a second account because my collection was so big it was slowing my client to a crawl because WotC, and I got like 20 packs in prizes and opened basically nothing, but the drafts were pretty fun.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PleasantDirge posted:

Yotian soldier is a beast!

Actually it's a Soldier. Arcbound Ravager is a Beast, but it's also in Darksteel so you won't see it until next week.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

"What the gently caress Kozilek, why'd you make my head into a fish?!"

seriously reality warping pranksters are the worst

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Please read the cards, especially the rare. Myr Incubator says "6, Opponent has one turn to answer this or kill you. If not, pay 6 mana to win the game." Also wheeled so many cards this draft that I had 25 playables after pack 2. Fourth Pick Spikeshot Goblin in second pack too, and wheeled several Talismans.

Somehow drew 7 lands in M2G3 which is kind of impressive in a 14 land deck. Remainer of my deck after activating Incubator was Spirit, Spirit, Irridate, Stone, Shrieker, Shaman, Blast, and 3 more basics. Oh well got Stone good times.

Also seriously do people just not read what the cards do?

that card shouldn't be going sixth pick. It's slow, but it isn't expensive to drop and counts for Affinity, and late game you just Overrun every turn. Also got a foil Lodestone Myr fourth. The rare and two uncommons were missing, so I guess that might not be horrible, but there are few cards you should take over Lodestone Myr. A 4 mana trampling 8/8 is pretty nice.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

superstepa posted:

So I gave in and bought an MTGO account and it's not that bad? The business model is very archaic but the interface isn't anywhere near as bad as everyone says it is (although I expected it to be a Duels of the Planeswalker levels of atrocious so I might have set my expectations too low). I've playing in open pauper rooms all day and it works really well, I might even drop some more money on it to play in the pauper tournament

It gets really bad when you start using the Collection or Trade interfaces more. Also if you play more often, you'll run into way more fun-ruining bugs. The client really is awful. It may reach the bare minimum now, but trust me - for a long time, it didn't.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

The really bad part about MODO is that the v3 client was not pretty but it was totally functional and the memory leak was way less bad

v3 definitely did not need to use 800 megabytes of memory. v4 definitely does not need to use 1.1 gigabytes of memory, and use it poorly. It's using all this RAM and it's still sluggish as gently caress!

e: also sometimes cards won't load their art, so you just get a big Magic M in the middle of a black background. poo poo's unreal.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 8, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sickening posted:

So everything in the loving multiverse just falls over to fire?

I know how to fix MTGO now.

e: Also State missing Splinter Twin in Modern (if you bring that in against Twin) and more importantly Leylines, and missing Lodestone Golem in Vintage, seems like it's quite a bit worse. Most decks playing Claim don't care about the opponent's life total much to begin with.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

An actual Pauper playable. So long, Shadow Rift!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Did I miss jace somehow or is he really not in this set.

There's already too much Jace in this block without giving him another planeswalker card.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Rinkles posted:

(nobody liked my sinkhole edit :[ )

I didn't even notice the edit. Like most of the art in this set, the art was already pretty rear end.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

So Brian Kibler, while playing Magic Online, just said, unironically, that it's a great program.

the sad part is that compared to a year ago or a year and a half ago, it really is great. It's now nearly at the bare minimum. Soon we might even have a program that scrapes the lofty heights of "satisfactory."

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sickening posted:

Modern masters is already a limited run product. There is no reason it should be filled with so much poo poo.

There are plenty of reasons, in fact there's probably a piece of paper with "reasons Modern Masters 2015 packs are MSRP $9.99 and full of crap" and there are a lot of zeros on that sheet of paper.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

How bad would it have been for Modern if they printed a new Inquisition of Kozilek that was exactly the same except for being Devoid and a new name? Would many decks run 5-8 of that? I could see 5 maybe but as it stands I prefer to mix in Thoughtseize anyway.

Probably only 8-Rack would care. Make it a common while you're at it, Pauper would love Inquisition.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Jenny Angel posted:

Yeah - white with a blue brim?

Hey rabidsquid or anyone else who likes Pauper, is this thing a good deck, because it kinda does everything I like in Magic and I'm considering buying it and trying to get into Pauper.

This deck is fine, but it's slow and from what I've seen it's just worse than Kuldotha Jeskai. It seems like the only matchup it's actually better at is Familiar, and then it's only if they kept a hand that's weak to Acid on a bounceland. The deck is just so drat slow to start.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

En Fuego posted:

A question that has nothing to do with the commentator chat right now, but would you guys rather have a WWE style announcing crew, or a golf style?

Like, 'OH MAH GAWD HE'S EQUIPPING THE CRANIAL PLATING TO THE ORNITHOPTER! HE'S ATTACKING! SOMEONE GET IN THERE AND STOP THIS!'

Cuz I'd like that

Wrestling style commentary would be wonderful, but you have to have the right people. WotC isn't willing to pay that amount of money.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

En Fuego posted:

Just saw the SCG Regionals playmat, and wow, I am now playing in it. Glad it's modern, I still have a Twin deck.

Yeah it is a good playmat. I signed up after seeing it and seeing that entry was only $40. I was expecting $60+.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

I'm a little confused as to why Inkmoth hasn't jumped more, when it has only had one printing (whereas Glimmervoid has had 2) and it is a four of in infect and affinity whereas Glimmervoid is pretty regularly a 3-of in affinity.

It was in a LOT of event decks and stuff.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Fatespinner was not designed with limited in mind.

Okay what's going on here? They chose to skip Combat, and it skipped combat?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

huh apparently they're getting rid of all but like 2 of the weekly columns

They got rid of their forums because they can just use Reddit (even though it can't be much effort to maintain the MTG forums) so getting rid of their columns and relying on SCG and ChannelFireball for promotion is the next logical step. Presumably they'll shut down Gatherer and just use magiccards.info for oracle text.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

quote:

To summarize, here's what the new DailyMTG is going to look like for the foreseeable future
•More content producers, more flexible content—we'll write about anything and everything without worrying about restrictive column slots.
•A greater focus on the world of Magic at large.
•Making Magic and Latest Developments remain the same. Uncharted Realms becomes Official Magic Fiction.
•The Daily Magic Update will let you know the latest on what's happening in the world of Magic: The Gathering today.
•The Top 25 and Daily Decks will move into The Daily Magic Update.
•We're retiring Arcanas, but not some of the cool content we often stuck in them.
•DailyMTG is evolving. Don't expect DailyMTG to look the same a year from now. Our goal is to deliver the best experience for people who love Magic everywhere. This is just step one.

lol at "Official Magic Fiction"

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ramos posted:

I still pine for comments.

It is totally embarassing that comments have been broken for like three years.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Chamale posted:

Reminds me of the time I activated Cursed Scroll naming Liliana, and randomly revealed Liliana of the Veil from my hand. My opponent said I hadn't uniquely identified which Liliana I meant. The judge was sitting nearby and told him to gently caress off. Of course, that's regular REL with a store full of people who know each other. I honestly think Borborygmosgate was handled properly because of the stakes involved, but it's an unfortunate situation. I think Borborygmos is literally the only character with two Modern-legal cards one of which is just his first name.

Nicol Bolas was timeshifted.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

odiv posted:

Well, my uncle works for Hasbro and he just called me to confirm it.

Also, the next Planeswalker cards are going to be scratch and sniff.

Mark Rosewater makes offhand comment about grape scent, queue endless debate on MTGSalvation about whether that means the next planeswalker will be a new sixth color or just Izzet.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask but what smell will Jace TMS be?

axe

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Why are there sometimes two versions of a card where one version is just a less-dressed version of the character? Why does Achilles have two versions of the same card, just that one of the cards shows more cleavage?

Force of Will looks gross as hell.

e: the lands are sweet looking though.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 12, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

Ok to spoil the joke the set that all the anime history is from was actually a completely different intellectual property who's company went bankrupt. FoW Inc. bought the art for cheap and just pushed out a set using it.

It's a shame because its even worse than the usual bad art (and flavor text) and there are one or two cards that are absolute staples from that set so you have to keep seeing those cards when you play.

Well I no longer want to play Force of Will so good work guys. Anyone want to share with us their love for the Eurogame "pedophiles and autism"?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Two cards, two artists, Nissa making green magic stuff swirl around ferns. The only difference is Nissa has a staff in the second one.

Is that why that card gains life but the other doesn't?

cheetah7071 posted:

The staff costs 3 mana though

You figured out why one gains life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

But are they legal in Momir Basic

This is actually a good point.

Also what website is Emerson Cod quoting from, Reddit or MTGS?

• Locked thread