Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Star Man posted:

And a Player Rewards promo. Remember those?

I do, because I have two that I should probably get around to selling before it gets reprinted and craters in price!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Peacekeeper Colossus, 3
Artifact - Vehicle (Rare)
1W: Another target Vehicle you control becomes an artifact creature until end of turn.
Crew 4
6/6
"Keeping Peace? Its sole purpose is to keep people in fear."
--- Saheeli Rai

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Huey said on Twitter they found a deck that abused Reflector Mage, so they must have been talking with some pros.

These bans are nuts though. Standard bans are always a "wow we really hosed up" kind of situation and it's always interesting.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Elyv posted:

... Did they forget to include the Hour of Devastation symbol in their symbol article or is my phone just being stupid?

They didn't forget, it's probably story relevant like Eldritch Moon being Emrakul.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Was cleaning my room and found all my old pre-release cards, so I decided to line them up

Ink Eyes is from 2005!!! I can't believe I've been playing Magic so long.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, The Brother's War and a few of the other old books are legitimately pretty good fantasy novels, the magic stories on the website are just poo poo.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Entropic posted:

They literally used to do a novel for every block, right?

Three

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Elyv posted:

it's super up and down in general. I haven't read every piece of magic lore but I refuse to believe any of it is worse than the ons block story.

For instance, today's article was pretty inoffensive imo

Onslaught novels are objectively the worst, yes.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I still have a copy of The Gathering Dark and I still legitimately enjoy its story.

Yeah, Jeff Grub was basically the only good mtg author.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

Robert King who did The Thran and The Brother's War and some of the invasion block stuff was awesome (when I was a teenager). The Thran is an awesome story of how Yawgmoth came to be and he's still the best villain they've had.

Brother's War was Jeff Grubb, but yeah he was one of the other good authors. Reading Brother's War before The Thran is the best experience because a) That's the order they came out in b) The Thran sets things up assuming you have the prior knowledge about the characters (Gix especially).

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

He is so clearly cheating it's not funny. The way he positions his hand and the way he moves them when he draws the first two is what does it. He's trying to do a magician's trick.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Kamigawa/Ravnica Standard was the objective best

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I didn't watch this particular incident, but I'm of the mind if there's a possibility it was just a brain fart, and there's no prior shady incidents, people deserve the benefit of the doubt.

He used a magician's trick to draw two cards and make it look like one, there's no benefit of the doubt in this case.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Star Man posted:

In the last draft I did, I had to have a judge explain to two different people that if I make the target of their Harnessed Lightning illegal, they don't get the energy from it.

This happens with the green Implement a lot as well.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Efro is a literal millionaire so when he doesn't want to care about Magic he probably doesn't, because he's too busy getting married and dealing with all that entails.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Found my old computer and looking through my old harddrive, here have a picture circa 2007 Future Sight spoilers

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Amonkhet spoilers begin in April, but is there a PAX or other con before that where some individual cards might be revealed?

Nope, there's no PAX East panel scheduled.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I'm really annoyed at myself for being lazy and not selling my texless Damnations even though I knew it was going to get reprinted.

Oh well, hopefully those ones will retain a little value because they're promos, right?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Pontius Pilate posted:

They should be worthless because the art is comparatively worthless.

Agreed

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

This set is loving nutso

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Uh, this wouldn't be the good and honorable BaronVonVaderham from our thread, would it? From a stream yesterday

"better lucky than good... hope the rest of your opponents have to mulligan and flood nonstop, otherwise I hope you enjoy scrubbing out with this garbage"

lol

Lmao

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I still remember when people didn't realize how loving absurd Jitte was when it first came out. My friends and I made sure to grab as many Rats' Nest precons as we could find and as many copies for cheap as we could.

We also made sure to pick up Damping Matrixes.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I remember when Pernicious Deed was 150 tickets on MTGO, AMA

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

PJOmega posted:

IIRC they literally cannot because the MODO ban list is entirely informed by Gatherer's content.

This isn't true because people found out about Twin getting banned because it got put on MTGO.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

A relatively large Local store just posted a picture that they have 29 cases of Modern Masters, and they plan on selling out completely tonight.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Tonetta posted:

I missed out on kamigawa almost entirely because mirrodin was bad.enough to make me temp quit and kamigawa had jitte, which literally every deck ran 4 of regardless of how many creatures it played, because the legendary rule would kill it, was enough to make me wait until that poo poo was gone too

Not true. Only aggro decks (Black Hand, etc.) ran Jitte. Kamigawa/Ravnica was very combo oriented, and also owned.

Kamigawa/Ravnica was probably the best "modern" standard there has been.

Also Mirrodin/Kamigawa was a great standard as well after Affinity ate its bans

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Pretty sure that was just a shame concede after running into their own Chalice of Value.

One of the best games ever

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Cycling yessssssss

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

We're gonna know what the masterpieces are tomorrow, Buehler just said on twitter that there'll be a masterpiece preview during VSL tomorrow

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Holy poo poo those are comically loving hideous

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

"Gods among the people, wow, that's such a cool idea. So inspiring, we've never seen this before!"

It really seems like they wanted to go back to Theros then decided "oh poo poo Theros sucked let's do Egypt!"

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Remember Gideon is from Theros. This has a bit more meaning.
Yeah I'm pretty stupid.

That's how much I forgot about Theros, I literally forgot that's where Gideon was from.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Those lands are awesome. I loving love cycling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Why do they make every Gideon so good, what the gently caress

• Locked thread