Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

JerryLee posted:

Magic: The Gathering: Look Again, The Mana Is Now Diamonds

Matgic: The Gathering: Shine on you crazy diamonds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This isn't the first time they've been wrong and had to quietly remove the fakes and hope no one notices!

They're fake!

*begins sinking in quicksand* They're faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qKcJF4fOPs

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

BJPaskoff posted:

The inconsistency leads new players to think things like the player I had at FNM two weeks ago who tried to tap his Hedron Archive to get two landfall triggers.

Wait, how did they even reason themselves into thinking that worked? Did they explain at all? :psyduck:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Yep, this convinces me that this game is Totally Cool and Not For Dorks :cool:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Oh drat, I thought things started today.

Last chance events for byes happen on Friday, the main event is Sat/Sun.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Rimusutera posted:

scooping when you've lost isn't badmanners.

edit; wait, what do you mean by disconnected here?

Disconnecting from modo entirely rather than conceding. I think their clock continues until they pass priority, so the round goes to time.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

Did you guys see Huey kick my rear end with Storm on stream? That's the only match I lost today though...

Think of it this way, because they're playing the same 75 cards, you also lost to Reid Duke!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Looks like the perfect land for a Commander product.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

bhsman posted:

Slight derail, but for those of you that love to hate on Randy Buehler and Wizards commentary in general, you should probably head over to Joe Losett's stream right about now. :v: This may have something to do with a conversation he had with LSV over Twitter.

Tuned in for a second and heard linkin park, not worth whatever that was about.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Devor posted:

Revised Frozen Shade is overpowered. +1/+1 forever? I'll take it!

Edit: Obviously since Giant Growth says 'until end of turn' this must be permanent

Thats how it played out in 4th grade, it was stupid good

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Count Bleck posted:

That's mostly it, this standard is expensive as gently caress.

Its also boring because the standard decks to play are the same as last year except + 1 color and + $600.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Balon posted:

Which is a problem for the health of the game as a whole, I find. I'm a grown rear end man with a good paying job and I still don't want to pay for FlipJace. I've played Atarka Red for 8 months at this point just because it's cheap (and wins a lot still).

How does the price of standard drop from this point? What would drive prices back down where Standard doesn't cost as much as Modern?

It kinda doesn't, flip Jace is out there and he can't feasibly be reprinted in a supplementary product because he's a DFC. So either buy a playset or don't play blue till he rotates (or ever if he isn't just a fad in eternal formats).

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mikujin posted:

Not really magic related but I know a bunch of goons in here are from Seattle and area. I'm stuck here on a 13 hour layover, what should I check out?

Pike place is a fun touristy thing and there's lots of good restaurants nearby, and its close to where the light rail so you can get back to the airport pretty quickly(ish).

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

:eng101: Dagon

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

CaptCommy posted:

Or five wastes, one Plains, one island, one mountain, one forest, and one swamp. It's easiest to think of diamonds as a sixth color, IMO

This could become treacherous when thinking about Converge and Sunburst, depending on how it is implemented.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Some Numbers posted:

^^^^^: It's not a color!

That's exactly what I mean, don't think of it as a sixth color for Converge and Sunburst, and don't count Waste as a 6th land type for Domain.

If it works the way we think it does.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sigma-X posted:

Tron is GIANT FUCKIN MANA themed, not colorless themed - frequently you're using that colorless themed mana to GSZ for 6G.

What are the green creatures that you frequently see Tron players tutoring up with Green Sun's Zenith?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Eddie Whitson posted:

This is the same guy that tried to buy CFB out of Seance just so he could destroy them.

The combination of MTGFinance ineptitude and Bitcoin idiocy is just amazing.

"I'm going to become a financial puppetmaser by buying up and destroying all the copies of a card nobody is using to begin with, then I'll pay a professional kids game player to showcase it in their deck, thus sending the card's value up, up, up!"

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Ramos posted:

Yeah, I realized that after the fact.

The guy isn't claiming this is for money, but ha ha, right. There's even a few links in the comments about earlier messages across the internet involving the same guy trying to pay someone to destroy cards for him. I have to wonder if this guy just lives in a single room with nothing but a computer, a mail slot, and a toilet.

I'd go so far as to say he might only have the first two.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

Is Bridge even in any T1 decks? I think it's super far from the Ban Hammer.

Barbershop is the main one that comes to mind, it doesn't make up a significant portion of decks. It won a GP, but T1 is a bit much.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The Lord of Hats posted:

Matthias Hunt? What's wrong with him?

His voice is very annoying and he pronounces things like Gitaxian Probe all wrong.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Cynic Jester posted:

They'll print a new BoP that taps for "mana not of any colour".

They aren't printing 1 cmc mana dorks.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, they want standard to be trash and they're committed to that

It took so little that no one even noticed.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I really want a surge card that makes Storm great again.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

Standard has had the shittiest turnouts for fnm in the last 6 weeks then i can ever remember. I think only a handful have fired in the Dfw area. It seems like I have to pay for ptq/iq to play standard. Bright side is cashing those events is about as easy as it gets right now.

Hopefully someone is paying attention in creative.

I've been noticing this at my store as well, I think we had like 30-ish people last night in a store that used to hit over double that.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dehtraen posted:

FNM attendance has been very, very low lately. I think it has been a combination of the holidays coming up and high price of standard. To a lesser extent I am pretty sure it also has to do with how slow FNM runs now a days with it being a midrange crunch fest. Last night FNM started 15 minutes late, then every round when to turns for an extra 10-15 minutes, and then a repair going into round 4 because someone misreported their results. It was 15 minutes into round 4 and it was already passed the time I usually am getting home.

Were you at CK last night? If so what were you playing?

RB aggro, I went undefeated until I played against Cody and punted hard against Atarka red to finish 3-1.

Edit: waiting for the inevitable realization that oh, I'm the jerk in the store that you hate :P

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dehtraen posted:

I just see general slower playing, lots of newer / just returning to the game guys that are dropping $600 on whatever 4 color deck won the last SCG event, then stumbling their way through library searching effects (fetches, bring to light, nissa), tanking over really basic decisions, or just not even knowing what their cards do (yes, virulent plague effects your tokens too)

We played round 2 I think, UB Sacrifice. We chatted about Merfolk / infect in modern and you won 2-0 with flamewake, blood soaked champ, and dashed zurgo g1 and I conceded to conceal info with two lands In play I believe?you thought I was playing 4 color rally but Thunderbreak & friends won g2 for you. Thank you for actually playing at a decent pace unlike the rest of my opponents last night.

Oh hey it was nice to finally meet you, it was also nice to have an opponent that can carry a conversation while playing. I like to play quick-ish so's I can have time for a beer between rounds, which is partly the reason I can never play control.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dehtraen posted:

SCG Invitational top 8 looks pretty varied deck wise, only overlaps are 2 GR Tron in modern and 2 Abzan Aggro in standard.

Esper Dragons and Grixis Control
Four-Color Rally and Temur Twin
Jeskai Black and Infect
Five-Color Bring to Light and G/R Tron
B/R Dragons and Jund
Abzan Aggro and Affinity
Esper Midrange and Abzan Company
Abzan Aggro and G/R Tron

Sorry - poor phone posting on my part. the repair happened at the beginning of the round but very few players were actually switched around and then 15 minutes after the repair it was basically the time I am usually getting home and crashing out (40+ minutes behind schedule). Three rounds of non-limited FNM should not take 4 hours.

Everything has generally been run less smoothly since our previous L2 got a for realsie job :(

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

This just occurred to me, is the judge being an employee whose only job at the store is being an events coordinator an anomaly?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

OK I guess. So you're saying that Geist will be in SOI too?

Remember when the theros duel deck was polukranos and sun titan as displayed cards? Same thing.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Gensuki posted:

Could they print something which "ignores" hexproof? Cards that straight up ignore keywords seems like a weird enough thing for eldrazi to do.

Like a 3 mana naturalize that could target the untargetable?

They could also just make it say "choose an artifact in play. Each player sacrifices each artifact they control that shares a name with that artifact" if they didn't want break a rule for the sake of breaking it.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=366334

They also did a cycle of creatures in theros block, one of them made opponents creatures lose and unable to gain hexproof.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

One half of the SCG coverage team is moving on.

https://twitter.com/BasicMountain/status/676612662034358272

Pertaining to coverage in 2016. https://t.co/FlcHyHsld8

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

Read your own posts before you call me dense. We have no idea what SCG's income statement looks like but even if he can't get paid a decent salary from SCG he should definitely be able to work for WOTC since he's pretty widely viewed as the best at what he does. These are large organizations with big ad budgets.

I think what was actually happening is that Patrick was already a contract employee for Activision who got moved to a permanent salaried position and ended up making more money without needing to work weekends.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Quote not edit

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

Uncommons that go in a lot of competitive decks are usually 1.00 - 2.50.

It's kinda weird though since it is normally played as a Shock and the additional text is largely ignored since damage prevention is kind of underused right now. They could have literally printed Shock again and it would have made very little difference.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Niton posted:

Nah, they'll just print a Lightning Bolt with some irrelevant set-specific ability, and call it Bolt Lightning.

Bolt Lightning will proceed to push Modern & Legacy Burn over the top, so in the next B&R announcement, they'll.. Ban Lightning Bolt. I can hear it now.

Bolt lightning 1R
~ deals 3 damage to target player or creature
Surge R

Will never happen, but I can hope.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

It also probably hurts SSG,

Simian Spirit Guide doesn't give a gently caress about leaks.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

JerryLee posted:

the spoilers here could hardly have been better picked as marquee cards: Kozilek, big new "mechanic," Expeditions. If that doesn't get the target audience excited enough for you, fire yourself.

Expeditions are a huge miss for me, the absurd rarity ensures that if I open any shiny rare land I'll most likely convert it into multiple non-shiny ones rather than holding onto it.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

alansmithee posted:

Yeah man I really hate when I open a really valuable card that I have no problem trading for a bunch of stuff I want. Like wtf WotC, give me my loving basic land!

Yep, that's exactly it, I want basics instead, ya got me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Angry Grimace posted:

I just legit spit coffee on my monitor. :lol:

Also, where did all these people come from expecting hard-hitting, on-topic posting in the Something Awful Comedy Forums? Half the dudes who post in this thread get mad when people debate whether specific Magic cards are good. Or any other stimulus, really.

All magic cards are bad.

• Locked thread