Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Wald also has a plains border, not just the art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

UberJew posted:

for anybody who does not already it would behoove you to read the past couple pages of the edh thread to better understand this post

Reading about other people's experiences with EDH is worse than actually playing EDH, no thanks.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

GoutPatrol posted:

UR pauper smashing storm forever

Grapeshot and empty are banned :(

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

black potus posted:

whats the skill tester that puts therapy to shame someone please tell me

Lightning Bolt.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

InterrupterJones posted:

With all of these bannings over spoilers, is it uncouth to ask when is the next spoiler for OGW?

B&

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The 4-color environment we have now only exists because of the combination of fetches + fetchable duals. What could SoI possibly include that would keep manafixing at that level?

Hopefully nothing.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The Real Foogla posted:

you can Pyroblast any permanent though? you are thinking of Red Elemental Blast

Yep, Pyroblast can target any permanent, the permanent is only destroyed if it is blue, REB can only target blue permanents.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

Since surge is a thing how likely is Oath being full of cheap, efficient spells?

If they don't print a Lightning Strike that surges into Bolt, they screwed up.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

They probably won't, because that would have taken up a mythic spot.

Then surge is a failure.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TheKingofSprings posted:

Speaking of, Stoneforge is 40$ right now and rising fast.

Either someone knows something, or the speccing is real.

Stoneforge GP promo has a lot of people thinking (Wrongly, IMO) that it'll be unbanned in modern.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I had the title line in OGW. Ugin is teaching Jace how to fight phyrexia, and I walk by and I go, "Ah boy, I'm just so tired of all these oaths of the gatewatch"

You're now my favorite poster in the magic thread.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Angry Grimace posted:

I have to say its pretty funny that PVDDR listed Drana, Liberator of Malakir as his "Overrated Card of the Year" when it preordered for like $10, still costs like $7 in the same year in which Narset pre-ordered for $50 and saw approximately no play.

Drana is a fun card that is also situationally good, Narset is an amazing looking card that ended up never finding a home.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Bugsy posted:

The problem with drana is mantis rider.

The deck that wants to play drana is also playing draconic roar and a buncha dragons.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Count Bleck posted:

So what you're telling me is that Wizards can easily bring down the price of standard by putting dumb "secret rare" esque cards in every set.

Good. Do this.

I agree, but what other cards do they use that aren't on the reserve list or cut into a potential modern masters set down the line?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dehtraen posted:

Card Kingdom did another Pauper tournament today, sold out at pre-registration but then a handful of people no showed. Went 4-1-1 in Swiss (non-intentional draw) playing elves and lost in the semifinals. Fun times. I wish more places would do paper pauper tournaments

Played burn, went 2-3 drop, had a bad time. Congratulations on the... Bob and snap?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

accordingtojosh posted:

Congrats on the finish.

I wanted to play but didnt pre-register. I guess I should've shown up anyway just in case.

They've moved modern to Sundays in favor of doing events like this and their legacy 1k's on Saturday. There should be another one coming in 2 months, so keep an eye on the events page because the 72(?) Slots fill up quick.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

accordingtojosh posted:

I played the vintage event they had last month and plan to play the upcoming Legacy $1Ks whenever it works out with my schedule. I think I'll be at the one next week.

If I reg is still open and I can put infect together I'll also be there, if not, I wont. My other option is Merfolk, but I haven't had fun with it in legacy.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Four Score posted:

every time someone complains about new creatures like Siege Rhino I remember Cloud of Fairies was printed at common

Cloud of fairies at common is entirely unsurprising when you consider that it was in urzas block.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Hellsau posted:

Imagine how good his dad jokes are going to be.

"good"

He wanted to be able to tell dad jokes, but also wanted maximum value.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mikujin posted:

That said, if Bloom eats a ban I'd wager Goryo's decks will eat a ban, and possible infect. Because, while wildly inconsistent in the same measure, they are the other decks that can pull of T2 wins with infrequent consistency.

I still think infect is safe, since it still plays well with fair decks by being real bad against removal and disruption, whereas the other two love eating fair decks up.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

I have a similar process for trying to win and subsequently losing games, except I skip the first part of coming up with a good plan and just go straight to doing the exact wrong thing no matter what. It's very reliable so far.

Play aggro, turn dudes sideways. Because it needs no brains or plans, you never need to worry about making the wrong play. :smug:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

So 100 dollar Grove's are a thing now?

Well there wasn't an expedition of it so it goes up, up UP!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

I don't really think that expeditions are a price control though. They sure haven't worked that way for fetches. This is just modern being dumb again.

I'm not saying they are, but them not being reprinted as expeditions is like ringing a bell and letting every dumb speculator know that the price is either stable or too low.

MTG finance is a dumb thing.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Boco_T posted:

Still enjoying the guy at last weekend's IQ that was mad I was playing the two-card combination of Leonin Arbiter and Ghost Quarter when he was playing Splinter Twin

No Aven Mindcensor? Scrub :smug:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Foil blighted agents jumped from 15 to 50 sometime last month, ravagers did the same thing some months ago as well.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Terrible Horse posted:

Mtgo looks and feels cheap and is clunky to use sometimes,

It looks like shareware from the 90s.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Konstantin posted:

I don't know why Wizards doesn't push paper pauper. Seriously, sell the top decks as $10 Pauper event decks, and have a Pauper FNM. You can do one for each color, plus artifacts, and get most of the strong archtypes. It's a wonderful way to get into tournament Magic, and people who rightly refuse to pay hundreds for a Standard deck can play something competitive for cheap. Maybe even have a Pauper GP at some point.

Would love a pauper GP, playing it online in preparation for a paper tournament got me hooked.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Unfortunately there is no incentive for them to support pauper in paper, online they get all the tourney fees and its a format that is more fun than standard at a fraction of the cost.

It stops people from buying packs and they don't see any money from the people that play it in store.

Honestly, if you started with a real good $20 tournament ready deck, would you ever even look at standard?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Unless wizards also invented time travel, I'm not sure how harping on this point is relevant though

Fair, level headed judgement, and waiting until all the facts are in before making a decision are not recent or amazingly advanced inventions though.

However flying off the handle and having to eat poo poo on your stupidity are pretty old concepts.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Card Kingdom wouldn't be an issue, as even when they can't sanction a tournament format (pauper, no-ban modern) they still run the event at an appropriate REL, though the event is entered into WER as casual. For instance their paper pauper tournaments require decklists and are essentially run at competitive REL. I've never seen an event at CK where a proxy was allowed.

But yeah, seeing proxies on a stream would make wizards lose their poo poo in a second.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

At this point it feels like a huge chunk of the WotC staff is made up of either ex-pros or ex-bloggers, what a coincidence that the most competent people (Elaine, Helene, Maro) either have a professional background in what they do, or have been with the company for like 15 years.

It turns out that someone being good at a game doesn't mean they're good at making games, and someone running a blog doesn't qualify them for being the global face of an entire company!

Looking at her LinkedIn profile, she was also an elementary school teacher, so she has prior experience on how to deal with the magic community.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

Anyone know why Tooth and Nail is 22 bucks?

Wonder if there is a jump that coincides with this being published?

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/deck-of-the-day-modern-tooth-and-ramp/

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 14, 2016

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Voyager I posted:

Glad my LGS is doing Prerelease this weekend since half the store doesn't own a Modern deck anymore.

Healthy meta.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TheKingofSprings posted:

So how many Tron decks can we expect at the Pro Tour

Hopefully it does well enough that I can sell my tronsense for ravagers.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Before my 20 year hiatus I had traded into a beta time vault, and I have no idea where I put it or what happened to it :(

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Angry Grimace posted:

Eye of Eugene

I don't care if this an autocorrect or not, I'm using this forever.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

card exchange is loving depressing.

Good lord yes, I lived like a mile away from Card Exchange but would much rather truck to Ballard or the Eastside to not play in such a garbage environment.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

St0rmD posted:

Question for thread:

A while back, there was a link to a site that visualized the prices of all cards in each set by scaling the card images bigger for higher-value cards (like Alliances was basically a huge picture of Force of Will and everything else tiny).

Anyone have that bookmarked to reshare it?

TIA

http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

JerryLee posted:

I wonder what BFZ would look like if expeditions were included

There is an option to include Zendikar Expeditions in the set selector, use the options to sort by release date.

edit: Here's what Standard looks like with Expeditions http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz&s=BFZ%7CDTK%7CFRF%7CKTK%7CORI%7COGW%7CEXP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Yawgmoth posted:

Which one is Solomon Grundy? I hope it's Emrakul because I want flavor text with Emrakul demanding pants.

Evil Garruk.

• Locked thread