Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

when was that era exactly?

Remember when doom blade was a common? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
inb4 tournament reports / feature matches of people tapping typed basics for diamonds v:shobon:v.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Booklegger posted:

Modern Playable™. Might find a home in Scapeshift as a replacement for and improvement upon Meloku.

In what way would scapeshift play a 4 mana spell that might not even ramp and what scapeshift list is playing meloku at all? :psyduck:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What could punish it that would be good but not aggressively good? Tec Edge and Enroaching Wastes are about it.

tunnel ignus :laffo:

honestly I think getting rid of fetches altogether wouldn't be that bad a thing with regards to slow play, etc, but like, collectors and entrenchment or whatever.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

There's basically no way to hate on wedges that won't cause the dreaded ":qq:feel-bads:qq:"

Hasn't wedge already been hated on because all the rogue squadron books/games are no longer canon :haw:

At least that was a learning experience for hate cards for last fall's mechanic, since Stony Silence, Ash Zealot, Rest in Peace, Soldier of the Parthenon, and End Hostilities were all good.

BFZ doesn't have any blatant "gently caress you wedges/dragons!" cards, but since "gently caress you wedges!" is kinda hard to do and "gently caress you dragons!" was already in DTK itself I guess they didn't feel the need.

haha parthenon

to be honest self-inflicted wound, rending volley, and surge of righteousness all seem like indirectly hose wedges by being more likely to hit multicolored spells. it just so happens that a lot of that cycle isn't great at hitting rhinos.

also i don't think wotc is keen on hitting gold cards as a thing b/c gold is considered a drawback in "design" but like then they make mana bases really good so v:shobon:v but it's probably not a design problem.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Well, they are also worse on average in the early game which in theory was suppose to balance them out. The problem is that there isn't anything aggressive enough to make coming into play tapped a problem.

didn't aggro decks take the first 2 slots at kobe.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

artifacts are colorless. This would be better than Mishra's Workshop. Unless you mean spells as in instants and sorceries, not spells in general.

not vintage all star slash panther (not actually a vintage all star)!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

He's a 4/4 for 4 that lets you explore. That alone passes the Vanilla test..

Non-evasive 4/4 for 2RG doesn't seem particularly constructed playable unless it has RG bloodrush: +4/+4 and trample.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think the card has potential but it's not because it's a 4/4 for 4.

If anything that rate is a huge drawback considering that abzan gets a 4/4 for 3 and a 4/5 for 4.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

Sure you could Slash panther is 3R so you can tap nu-shops to pay the 3 of anything and 2 life to pay phyrexian red.

it's not colorless dude

his theoretical (and never gonna see print) land would only cast colorless cards

also more relevant counterpoint - phyrexian metalmorph

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Nagle hates dredge which makes me dread him returning to set leads. I hope he gets therapy for his grave trolling. He really shouldn't burn his bridges with graveyard creatures, I hope he comes to some kind of breakthrough with that angle of design.

Um that said what the gently caress wizards the problem with your coverage was definitely that there was too much of it?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/magic-tournament-video-coverage-2016-2015-12-08

oh maybe it's not all awful news:

quote:

Finally, we look forward to adding some new faces to Magic coverage in 2016. We will announce the lineup of who you can expect to see, hear from, and read from in early 2016. We're really excited to tell you who will be working with us to bring you the best coverage possible.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 8, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

I think if you can't wrap your head around what 'resolves" and "stack" that maybe Magic just isn't the game for you.

But "programming terminology" in my wizard poker fantasy ruins my immersion :(.

I'm going to push my cryptic command oh no null pointer exception.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

I'd start watching more GPs if they covered them like these Yu-Gi-Oh matches.

that's an exhibition match tho

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

Just force all on-camera players attempt to call their own action like this. :v:

I don't really think I want to hear most feature match players.

For those matches they get the voice actors for the english dub tho. Like Dan Green shows up to a lot of them.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

I guess what they were trying to do with Split Second is "this happens so suddenly no one can do anything about it."

But the rules of Magic just don't support things instantly happening, and the flavor just isn't there. Two cards have sudden in their name and that's about it. Why is Celestial Crusader happening instantaneously? How is Krosan Grip any faster-happening than any other Naturalize-kin?

You're looking at it the wrong way. Split second means time is literally split. As in, in another timeline, this happened, and now you're using magic to manifest that reality.

That's why the art shows two versions of the same thing. For creatures, it means they've been there all along, and you just didn't notice.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Niton posted:

For what it's worth, i'm pretty sure O-Ring getting dumpstered is entirely the work of Luis Scott-Vargas. Weird as it was, there wasn't really a reason to get rid of it until LSV managed to hard-lock MODO with it.

If a banishing light effect could target your own permanents you could still do that lock. That's not the reason for the re-template.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

Yes, and I wish single-target spells worked the same way.

I like how it works because it makes affinity w/ inkmoth and ravager in play have a decent amount of counterplay against cryptic command

Zoness fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 9, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
retard was a card in time spiral i dont think they'd reprint that

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

bhsman posted:

There's also that mythic rare land that can copy spells/creatures, which brings me to my point: There haven't been official spoilers yet, and the cards with this new mechanic have been mythic rares, which tend to not have reminder text IIRC. I bet you we'll see a Eldrazi bear that costs 1♦ or ♦♦ and says (♦ may only be paid for with colorless mana.)

:thejoke:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Now I shall finally get to emulate Seto Kaiba, my hero. Only instead of using a 4-of-a-kind dragon I will use some terrible bulk rare from a recent set that most players probably have half a dozen of rotting in their binders

I'm going to rip up your dragonlord ojutais so you can't use them against me.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

To look at it another way, there's a big reason why fans making custom card sets based on other genres or properties (Space: The Convergence, Star Wars, etc.) is way more visibly popular than fanmade d20/FATE/whatever hacks for the Magic setting, to the extent that I don't think I've ever heard of the latter. Not to say they've never existed.

I thought it was brain damage in the same vein as people wanting to use D&D for non D&D game things.

Although abstractly magic's resource generation/spending system is pretty useful. Flavor justifications, eh v:shobon:v.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gensuki posted:

Being poo poo is in Green's color pie, but being little shits (folding against not insurmountable odds like a 1/1) is firmly in Blue. Xenagos became a god, Both/Double Hitler Nissa was willing to doom the rest of existence to save her people/Zendikar, and Domri gives creatures haste, hexproof and double strike.

Extra: How Garruk would have tamed Lorthos.

Too bad primal groudon is way better than primal kyogre lmao.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

black potus posted:

POLICE DETECTIVE (As an officer pulls the above post out of the river): Who do we think did this? The mob? Some serial killer?
BLACK POTUS (swooping into the scene in a batmanesque costume except instead of a bat cowl I'm wearing an Obama mask and holding an alpha black lotus like a batarang): No. It's a new super villain. He goes by the name THE MAGIC THREAD.

POLONIUS:

Never a card player nor poster be,
For plays oft lose both time and friend,
And posting dulls the edge of relevance.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
PORTER
Faith, sir, we were carousing till the second round:
and magic, sir, is a great provoker of three things.

MACDUFF
What three things does magic especially provoke?

PORTER
Marry, sir, pile-shuffling, judge calls, and rare redrafting.
Speculation, sir, it provokes and unprovokes: it provokes the
desire, but it takes away the performance. Therefore much
magic may be said to be an equivocator with speculating: it
makes him, and it mars him; it sets him on and it takes
him off; it persuades him and disheartens him; makes him
stand to and not stand to; in conclusion, equivocates him in
a sleep, and giving him the lie, leaves him.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Hopping Ghost posted:

Was it loving awful in Coldsnap too?

That's not a challenge, I wasn't playing when Coldsnap came out and I honestly don't know whether it was loving awful or not.

nah man drafting snow basics in coldsnap was the best, only second to picking up every copy of surging sentinels and surging dementia or krovikian mists.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Draft blows, who cares, hail our hopefully eternal playable wastelords

who are you, TheLordofWastes?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

A mechanic that requires you to make deckbuilding considerations? Oh no!!

weird, hearthstone has one of those too :tinfoil:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
cheering for team paulo

team usa lmao

The real tragedy is that there isn't even a good gif for USA being eliminated this time.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i bet wastes was the original name for the process mechanic

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gensuki posted:

Is Thoughtpicker witch a good card? Its abiity seems like Jace, the Jacejace's +2.

You get to see what card they draw, and remove the worse of two cards, and it exiles if you're a Timmy/Johnny and want to make an eldrazi processor deck without any ingest...

it was marginally playable in limited but maybe as like a 24th or 25th card (RGD was a 15-16 land format :haw:)

it paled in comparison to some other sac outlets like elvish skycutter or golgari rotwurm but it had its niche

although, the price wasn't as high back then since damage used the stack. you could trade a 2/2, stack damage, then activate thoughtpicker, which is why it was marginally useful.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 11, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

As an aside, C being the official letter isn't going to stop me from making a million jokes about wanting the D, getting the D, etc.

You are the pillar of humor thrust upon this thread.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mehall posted:

So my redraft pool tonight is garbage.
Highest card is foil forest (not the good one) at 5.60 tcg mid.

Why is Kiora under 5 dollars? I know she doesn't have a deck just now, but she's a good card, and will be in standard for ages yet!

In what deck would Kiora belong as long as Jace and Nissa are around?

Don't make Kiora your Narset.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Im this scg players champs video where we want to show that all our players are inartiuclate.

alternatively pete and ben were cutting up onions in the room.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

The lesson is to never put fetches and fetchable lands in the same standard.

Sperling made a post 1-2 yrs ago that wizards should "unprint" fetches - i.e. 1984 them and say they never should have happened.

Increasingly agree with that idea.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Um look Kozilek's Return can feel pretty mythic if you think about it the right way.

Imagine Kalitas is standing around, he pulls out is watch and says, BIG K, it's SHOW TIME.

Then Kozilek emerges from the ground, punches you with piston-tendrils, with a display that says CAST IN THE NAME OF [BLURRED OUT].

That seems pretty mythic to me.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Honestly who wouldnt play Kozilek Returns: Battle for Zendikar XIII

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think someone at creative has a list of things they'd like to do to worlds, like

Slay, Quell, Purge, Gorge, Rend, Knit, Wake, Eat, Warp, and even Bottle

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

stinkles1112 posted:

yes please

I didn't realize it was on cast, that's nuts

on cast and the sweep itself is a trigger

and it kills the designated "unkillable control guy" in the set :v:.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

GeneX posted:

World breaker costs green, which is somehow probably more of a downside than costing 7 mana, given the decks that would use it

R/G Tron almost always has access to green, considering that the root of its consistency is Ancient Stirrings and Sylvan Scrying and that it plays 4 grove,4 sphere, 4 star, and 4 map. World Breaker's casting cost isn't going to be what keeps it out of modern.

That said, World Breaker has a very hard time competing with any of the current Eye of Ugin targets in Tron, but its ability to handle two onboard inkmoths in one turn might let it see some play. It is essentially way more likely to see standard play than modern play since it's at a casting cost where it could hit the board in standard, isn't competing with more powerful effects at different costs, and standard is a format where its recursion ability is likely to be somewhat relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like Nissa's being kind of underrated here. Her -2 is a pseudo anthem which could be really sweet along with Gideon anthems in a token based strategy, like maybe Atarka red v:shobon:v.

• Locked thread