Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Allstone posted:

The same mechanic by which Bestowed Auras can't fizzle, I guess. Just a thing in the rules that says it does. I know people that were really annoyed about Bestow just having a weird clause that doesn't appear on any card.

Not even that, it's the same reason that Darksteel Tower says "T:Add {1} to your mana pool". They would just print a card called Waste with the typeline "Basic Land" and rules text that says "T:Add {1} to your mana pool", or I guess add ♦, and then shorthand that the way they do with all the other basics - the big green mana symbol they put on forests just means "T:Add {G} to your mana pool".

Anyway, these are fake. In a set where the new mechanic is turning colorless mana into a sixth color, why would they print so few colorless cards that Kozilek shows up in the 4 spot? Assuming their name distribution doesn't skew way lower in the alphabet than normal, that's only like 10 colorless cards. Wouldn't they treat colorless as a sixth color and print way more than like 10? Would they make some "multicolor" devoid cards that require colored and uncolored mana? Speaking of devoid, why would they use a colorless mana mechanic here when it interacts terribly with it?

VVVV nah, assuming they're printing two new of each basic like they have most the previous small sets that seems correct, at least.

Kabanaw fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

Well, what I was observing was that their rarity was listed as Common. I didn't play during Coldsnap, but is that correct or is Gatherer lying?

Snow-covered basics had the land rarity in Ice Age, but common rarity in Coldsnap. Basic lands are now the only lands that have the rarity "land".

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

I'd be pretty unhappy if this ends up being a mechanic and they don't use it as a chance to errata colorless mana to ♦ mana. It's pretty weird how adding 2 colorless mana says add {2} while for every other type of mana it says add {G}{G}, so I'd hope they use this as a chance to change that instead of only introducing ♦ for one set and making it somehow different from colorless mana.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

Is Menace an evergreen word? Why would they print a standard playable card with no reminder text. (And how ugly would Koz be with the text shoved in there?)

Menace is evergreen. Regardless, they tend not to put reminder text on mythics since they show up so rarely there's no real point to reminder text. Plus it has more punch without it.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Lancelot posted:

That doesn't work because Wastes (as spoiled/faked) don't have subtypes.

It would read:

Enchanted land loses all abilities. (Lands with no other abilities have [mc]T[/mc]: Add ♦ to your mana pool.)

Or possibly the land has to be basic with no types to get this ability? Obviously we don't know what the rules support for Wastes will be.

"Enchanted land loses all abilities and gains "T:♦"

e: Better yet new action word, "waste", which means "loses all abilities and agains "T:♦"".

1♦R, Waste target land.

♦U, enchanted land becomes wasted.

Kabanaw fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 18, 2015

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Two odd possible interactions I thought of -
1. I think Urborg removes the ability of Wastes to tap for (C). I imagine it's not getting reprinted for standard anytime soon
2. IIRC under current EDH rules trying to add mana to your pool of a color outside your commander's identity produces colorless instead. So eg City of Brass/BoP may be able to tap for (C) in non-5c decks.

Urborg doesn't remove any ability from any cards, basic or nonbasic, typed or untyped. Blood moon does it to nonbasics by turning them into Mountains, but Urborg says "in addition to its other types", which means they gain the ability to tap for {B} but don't lose anything. Also important to note, wastes have no type, so you can't give cards the ability to tap for {C} by giving them some Waste type. Wastes tap for {C} the same way Fertile Thicket taps for {G}.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

Okay, that's fine then. I saw a post earlier saying that the rules got changed and couldn't find a conclusive statement one way or the other.

The actual rules changes won't be until OGW is nearly out, they post the full comp rules changes near the prerelease date. Presumably, though, the rules manager isn't interested in making it so basics without types tap for colorless mana, because that would undoubtedly add complications that making wastes a basic, non-artifact, destructible darksteel citadel won't.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Surge is basically mini-storm, so I imagine it's focused in UR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Besides, 2HG was played at the pro tour at one point, it's no less a made up format than the rest of Magic.

• Locked thread