Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

RED AND GREEN CAN'T DRAW CARDS WITHOUT SOME SORT OF DOWNSIDE IT'S OUTSIDE THE COLOR PIE *froths at mouth*
Every colour gets access to cantrips though, so okay (and land-based draw is pretty green and sac resources for draw is pretty red?)
E: And yeah also cycles are often a good enough reason for minor bends

is that good fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I am pretty hype for werewolf planeswalker

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Caring about people doesn't make you White unless it's specifically due to your dedication to the ideals of communities. All the colours can have friends and family and act in their interests.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Pyronic posted:

I might be reading too much but it seems like Maro's answers on blogatog are getting way more cynical and annoyed.

It varies a bit but also he sometimes just doesn't spend that much time on an answer. The blog's rife with autocorrect errors for starters.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

Why does Maro need to have a vanilla mythic. That isn't interesting design space. Either it's super pushed and changes at least one format, or you waste a mythic slot. I don't see a win here

Maro never said he designed the card, people were just asking him about vanilla legendaries. It doesn't really sound like the kind of thing he'd make, either.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

What's the definition of vanilla here? Just the stats and keywords?
Stats and keywords is french vanilla, and some other weird stuff is virtual vanilla like haste creatures when it's not the turn they come in to play and other stuff that I forgot.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
This was already a modern legal card but yeah that might work in standard?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Where're they getting all these horses?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I don't really get why cmc 2 mana ramp that can generate mana the turn it comes down is so rarely printed? Is it because playing multiples on turn 3+ is really swingy? Is it to make them weaker late?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I don't think he's getting paid for running that blog or anything so there's the whole thing where he's just super pumped to interact with people that like magic but also there's the whole thing where he could just stop if he wanted or could think through his answers for like a couple of minutes longer and maybe proofread

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Madness being on a card is literally always an upside though thus far there's no hate cards or anything and even if the madness cost is slightly more expensive it's still a card you were going to be discarding otherwise

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I think that was entirely snide rumours and wishful thinking

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

jassi007 posted:

My opponent played sin prodder. He really needed a second red source. I did not let him draw his mountain.

Your opponent is still drawing an unknown card each turn, just as if they hadn't played sin prodder. I think the thread has been over this.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Kaladesh's aesthetic also looks great, and I'm always pumped for red artifact synergy

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Equilibrium posted:

MaRo's lesson from BFZ is that it was only a steaming pile because it was not enough like ZEN/WWK, maybe the worst limited format in recent memory short of triple AVN. Magic is actually doomed.

He was talking about flavour I'm pretty sure; his example for doing it right was that SOI went back to INN rather than AVN.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Huge monsters: a known unpopular flavor, unlike kor cartographers.

Huge monsters are in like every set. Huge monsters destroy an otherwise cool setting and also landfall is there I guess less so.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Entropic posted:

Prediction:

Wizards is somehow going to accidentally offend people with something in their Not-India plane.

Why? They managed to not really offend anyone with their Not-Central Asia plane

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Their investor report had some big words about changes on the digital side I'm super interested to see what bizarre decisions they make

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Yeah uh like sure there are other ways to represent transformation but werewolves that don't transform are literally just either really buff peeps or weird wolf things and both of those things just aren't particularly interesting

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Okay yeah that's fair choosing the day/night mechanic as the flip trigger was kind of arbitrary (it was a leftover from another mechanic iirc). I think dfcs were a good way to do it though, because being able to have two arts really helps contrasting to like monstrosity and renown which just feel kind of tepid. Maybe the legendary can alter the flip condition? I'm sure at some point they'll do werewolves with a different flip mechanic at some point, but I'm guessing at least the next time it'll probably still be dfcs

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Nah the entire idea behind zombies is that they're undead, which is really well represented by like Gravecrawler etc. being really easy to get back out of the graveyard. DFCs really work for werewolves and, like you said, not that great for zombies, which is why SOI brought back a bunch of DFC werewolves and literally 0 DFC zombies, instead making the zombies do stuff about dying and coming back. Like they're bringing stuff back because people liked it. Also there's nothing saying DFC werewolves need to continually transform - they've said they'd have done monstrous as DFCs if it didn't cost more to print.
E: Like nothing's stopping them from doing the next werewolves as "Threshold - {G/R}: Transform ~. Activate this ability only if seven or more cards are in your graveyard." and it still saves them a bunch of room on ~ gets +2/-1 shite as well as adding a bunch of textbox space and the art change.

is that good fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 5, 2016

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

JerryLee posted:

I'm really not sure what your idea for "undeath" as a resonant concept is if it doesn't refer back in some way to the previously living human and the presumptive horror of seeing that flesh unnaturally animated and coming at you. Like, if the only relevant attribute for undead is 'you can summon them out of the ground over and over' then they might as well be some sort of autochthonous earth elemental or something, no? You probably didn't actually mean to argue towards that, I know, but what I'm trying to illustrate is that the corrupted/transformed state of the undead is usually quite relevant to the overall concept.

The former human aspect is easily conveyed solely through art; I can look at the art of relentless dead and see 'oh gross this used to be a person but now they're all squishy and rotting'. The human aspect of a werewolf is pretty difficult to see without just having more space for the art. You could identify that Endless Ranks of the Dead does Zombie poo poo without reading the card; same goes for most cards. Greater Werewolf is probably doing Werewolf poo poo, but then you've locked yourself in to making every werewolf art ever mid-transformation. Otherwise, you'd struggle to get a rando player to get any implied flavour from the non-DFC werewolves (Lesser and Treacherous) like there's not a lot separating them from if Tarkir Ainok went to the gym more. Like they don't need to have mechanical stuff mixed in, but INN sold like hotcakes and DFC werewolves probably focus-grouped super well so I can't see how you'd convince corporate to do it non-DFC for a while
E: like DFCs apparently cost a fair amount more they wouldn't do them if they didn't work pretty great at rubbing the good tummyfeels for most players

is that good fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 5, 2016

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
'I, a man, haven't encountered misogyny, so I don't think it's really there' is a pretty poor argument
E: like apart from it being dismissive of other people's experiences purely because you think yours take precedence

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Sickening posted:

Twitch chat being the way it is because "men are threatened by women" definitely isn't a legit argument either. Twitch chat is vile because it is anonymous and has few people trying to moderate it as a whole.

Yeah nah the reason they go after minorities is because that holds social capital in gaming communities, and allowing women into their spaces undermines the prestige they may have accumulated there are plenty of places where you can chat as anonymously as twitch that aren't cesspools because being a jerk to women isn't an inherent part of the human condition or anything as it turns out

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

everyone stood up and cheered as I opened mine

My pack was 20 rishadan ports personally signed by the 1939 Harlem globetrotters
E: and also a 10 dollar note

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Entropic posted:

(They never put in just one card with a keyworded mechanic on it)
That's mostly a rule for expansion sets as far as I know; EMA had a bunch of mechanics just scattered through

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Entropic posted:

I thought they all were on at least a few cards at common. Like there's a bunch of echo cards, a bunch of Vanishing cards, a bunch of Cascade cards, a bunch of Retrace cards, a bunch of Threshold cards...

I know that was the case for the first two Modern Masters sets.

They really really have an aversion now to going all Future Sight and cramming a whole bunch of random one-off keywords into a single set.

I'm pretty sure Plague Witch is the only spellshaper in there. Carbonise (and also Nekrataal) hoses regenerate when nothing in the set actually uses it. I think white has just two vanishing cards jammed in there? And also imprint is kind of in there as well.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Yeah they did some articles about R&D mistakes and apparently the way they were costing the mechanic by default was 'just add {2} to the cost it'll be fine'

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Yeah I thought so too but Maro answered some questions about it and there apparently aren't that many ways to use it in interesting ways. Like on large creatures it doesn't do anything and if your creatures are small enough it just works like can't be blocked.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Jabor posted:

The problem is if you have too many "evergreen" mechanics, things start turning into keyword soup. Which is the big problem that actually motivated the whole "cutting back on recurring mechanics" thing in the first place.

We might see skulk crop up again in the future (possibly in innistrad mk 3 or something), but blue and black already have their own evasion abilities, and it's not like you really need an extra ten just so every colour pair can have their own.

They're explicitly looking for a reusable b/u overlap creature keyword because every other colour pair has one. I think they said it helps a lot for hybrid cards?
For anyone playing at home:
w/u flying
w/b lifelink
w/r first strike
w/g vigilance
u/b ???
u/r prowess
u/g flash
b/r menace
b/g deathtouch
r/g trample

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Have Blue posted:

Hanweir's neat but it'd be creepier with a "human ooze" typeline.

I'm guessing the general Innistrad human tribal stuff would have made that pretty weird one of the major themes of Innistrad has always been pure humans vs other stuff and letting the tribal stuff that reinforces that accessible to a big gently caress-off ooze would have been a compromise. Like I'm happy Bonds of Faith stops it, etc.
E: V And yeah the middle or third set of blocks has consistently been hecka mediocre especially on the end which WotC can actually measure so like

is that good fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 22, 2016

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

hey guys remember born of the gods

yeah me neither

hey man don't talk poo poo about the set that brought us one of the most cherished and remembered cycles in recent history: the Fated instants
E: and who could forget the most riveting escalation of the problems Xenagos was causing; there being some creatures with weird starry bits I guess but more unfriendly than the other ones

is that good fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 22, 2016

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Terrible Horse posted:

I wonder if Evolution and Coco are wotcs misguided attempts to reconcile new world order all creatures all the time, and older players asking if spells can be not garbage again.

NWO refers exclusively to rules about common card complexity

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm not sure i understand why she is green

Clearly because her +1 is Keen Sense and half her ult is Harmonise

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

The funny part is people asking why Tamiyo is green when a better question mechanically is how she is white. Tapping stuff down is white, sure, but its primarily in blue, and the Ophidian/Shadowmage Infiltrator ability is blue, but shows up a lot on Simic cards, e.g. Edric.

All of her abilities are actually fine as mono-blue, though.

I think it's mainly that her +1 can be used defensively that's about all I can see that really requires white

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I know, my point is why did they give it that ability at all, when it's completely meaningless on a 4/6 that late in the game.

I think they just had room on the card and shot for flavour

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

anglachel posted:

Providence seems like one of those cards that has some weird edge case where it goes in some super broken deck in Modern/Legacy/Vintage and does nothing else.

Thus I approve of it.
Yeah I guess you could potentially go Gemstone Mine or Spirit Guides into some rits into Ad Nauseum or Plunge into Darkness with a free 20 life but it just doesn't seem reliable enough to be good. I don't know of any other ways to make free mana at instant speed, so unless you're going gemstone mine you're going to need at least one manamorphose to go off, and this all needs to be in your opener or it doesn't do anything.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I really don't get it Annihilating Fire/Yamabushi's Flame with 3->2 mana and instant->sorcery is just a fine card? Like just what about this could make someone so angry?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I'm so pumped for splice onto instant and splice onto sorcery like they originally planned when they eventually get around to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Bushido works on defence and melee doesn't, so even in 1v1 it already helps alleviate problems of gummed up board states where nobody wants to attack. It also looks to be priced similarly, which makes it better because you control when the creature gets the boost more than bushido

• Locked thread