Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Scry 2 is incredibly powerful, because it lets you tuck a card you don't like and lets you know your next draw. Scry 1 only lets you do one of those at a time. And you can set up her 0 by putting a different card above the thing you want to slam down. She's entirely valid as just +2 until ultimate, or as setting up her 0 repeatedly. That sort of versatility is great in a card.

You really can't afford to have a card that does nothing except for scry 2. Would you really pay 1UG: Scry 2, Fog?

Tales of Woe posted:

scalability is really powerful in this game. for example, Walking Ballista is a weak card at pretty much every value of X, but when you get all those garbage cards together in one card, it's a format staple.

Walking Ballista is strong because it's actually really good at every point on the curve. As a two drop, it can pick off creatures or turn off the Saheeli combo. As a four drop, it can pick off two creatures or pick off a bigger creature or turn off the Saheeli combo. Ballista is not a weak card at pretty much any point on the curve.

Angry Grimace posted:

One of the biggest problems with evaluating a card like Nissa is that there's a very heavy tendency to evaluate the card on generic terms that appear in a lot of SCG articles/CFB articles that may or may not apply to the card in particular. Like, saying "well she doesn't protect herself" isn't as valid if you cast something for 3 mana and it goes on to win the game for you because its both topdecking and deploying threats for free. People really, really love taking very firm opinions on these kind of things even though they shouldn't be applied in a vacuum to cards that have yet to see any play. It's the same way "dies to Doom Blade" is basically dead horse trope of MTG fora despite the fact that it can be more or less valid depending on the card (e.g. its a less valid criticism of a card like Tarmogoyf than it is of, say, Shivan Dragon)

The current best deck in the format is a deck that is very, very good at pressuring Planeswalkers. Planeswalkers that can't protect themselves immediately are weak in this Standard because if they can't protect themselves then they can just die to a Heart of Kiran or any of a number of different threats that Mardu plays.

mcmagic posted:

The bar for a 3 mana walker to clear to be playable is pretty much Saheeli without Cat and Nissa is ALOT better than that...

Saheeli isn't playable without Felidar Guardian in the format and Saheeli is roughly as good as Nissa. Saheeli plusing can actually do something in a game; pressuring Planeswalkers is one of the things that Saheeli is actually pretty good at.

I think this card is a slightly worse Ashiok that's easier to kill on curve. It might find a home, but I think it has a lot of flaws that will stop it from being see play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Sickening posted:

I would if it had a alternate condition where it took over the game.

Most Planeswalkers have an alternate condition where it takes over the game. It's just hard to justify playing a Planeswalker that is only ever good if you have complete control over the board.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Bant Company almost certainly wants Nissa as a 1-2 of

Cutting what? I can't imagine how you can play this when it dies to bolt when you cast it for 1UG. I'm not a Bant Company expert so I might be wrong, though. It just seems real low impact compared to your other options.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Hysterical preorders are hysterical.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Guys, I just want you to know that if Nissa ends up seeing no play at the PT I'm going to link to all of you saying the card is amazing and draw a really bad MS Paint Told Ya So sign. I just want all of you to consider that before making any claims about this card being amazing, because I am not afraid to use my bad MS Paint skills to embarrass you.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Sickening posted:

At this point nobody cares about this, you do realize that right? Just like you aren't going to give a poo poo when people link to your post of you saying its terrible before spoilers were even finished.

I would actually find it pretty amusing

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
What the gently caress is wrong with y'all? It was a joke, there's no need to be so rude in response.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

Magic players think cards are garbage unless they consistently show up in GP and PT top 8 lists. A card can't show up once in a top 8 list and then only have spotty results in tournaments after, then it was a failure and wasn't "an Important Card". Cards can be somewhere between unplayable trash and format staple, but you'd never know it from listening to Magic players talk.

I wasn't aware that I was talking about top 8s exclusively or that I was discussing the card being good outside of the AKH format we're about to enter.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

gently caress that! I can't immediately see a list that plays 4 Nissa Seward maindeck so gently caress THIS GARBAGE CARD and YOU AS WELL.

But you're the only person in this thread trying to insult a person rather than saying a card is worse than other people think.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I like it but Eidolon is still clearly a better card. Seems solid as a sideboard card against some stuff, probably as a two of. If this triggered on all non Mana activated abilities we'd be cookin with gas but this misses Planeswalkers which really hurts it's playability. I am sad.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Not even the best green God

Which Green God is better? That card is broken af.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Holy gently caress is that card not even remotely pushed. You can't even kill an opposing creature to attack? The sac outlet costs two mana? Wow. Just wow. That card just isn't playable. Would you even play it in Limited? His sac doesn't even draw a card! It only scrys 1! How did this card end up so dang weak?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Entropic posted:

You can't ever resolve another spell or effect in the middle of resolving a spell or effect. If a spell has you cast another spell, or triggers some other effect, that spell or effect goes on top of the stack, so it will be the first thing to start resolving once you finish resolving the current spell.

Multiple ones, even.

Outside of like Panglacial Wurm shenanigans

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I'm wondering if initially it filtered without adding to the cost, but as a precaution of potential, if unlikely, problems with some Converge cards they played it safe. As is I think the card is just bad.

They're obviously worried about Prism Array taking over the format

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Commit is a Good Counterspell

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
The B Delver of Secrets will see play in a lot of formats. It's considerably worse than Delver of Secrets, but it's still really good.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

mcmagic posted:

What deck wants that in modern that is going to be easily able to turn it on?

Grixis Delver

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Rinkles posted:

It's not like Delver's ubiquitous. I'm skeptical - against a lot of decks it's a very embarrassing card.

At least in Modern, there aren't really many decks that don't have creatures and of those they're almost entirely tier 2. There are a lot of matchups where this is bad, you're right, but there are also a lot of matchups where this is really good. I would honestly be shocked if it didn't see play.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Grixis Delver is a aggro deck. This is a defensive card and it's a complete crap topdeck later in the game. I don't see it. If you think Tasigur is for later in the game you haven't been playing Grixis Delver. That deck wants a T2/T3 Tasigur to do it's thing.

You can t2 cast the bird way more consistently than t2 Tasigur. The card might be mediocre late game, but that's also true of Delver of Secrets. Tasigur is pretty weak in Modern nowadays, being able to get aggressive earlier on seems much better. It's certainly worth testing at the very least.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Grixis Delver has pretty consistently been floating between t1 and t2 status for a while now, y'all probably shouldn't be underrating the card Delver of Secrets as much as you are. The deck is good and has a bunch of results.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

black potus posted:

Today I learned that young pyromancer is worse than worse delver despite yp being better than good delver in that deck. It's a wild wild world.

Pyromancer is frequently cut from the deck nowadays.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Druid does have the upside that it can be +2 on a Chord of Calling

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

For all those questioning any semblance of a control resurgence and those naysaying cycling/Haven as a strategy in general, I at least think Seth Manfield is on the right track with this build.

If those decks were good, they wouldn't be posted online by a pro player.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
If we don't get new Faeries cards I promise to riot. The tribes are probably going to be Merfolk, Goblins, Zombies, and Elves, though.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

C-Euro posted:

The "blue" tribe will be Wizards just to piss you off.

It could be Faeries. Theoretically.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

I doubt they'll go top-down with the mesoamerican theme since it doesn't have nearly as many well-known tropes as ancient Egypt or Greece. i'd expect something more like Kaladesh or Tarkir where there's obvious real-world references visually but not down to the mechanical level. Plus it would be weird to have 2 top-down ancient culture sets back to back.

Mesoamerican culture ain't exactly ancient. Hell, there are still people in the world who practice a lot of elements of traditional Mesoamerican society. Compare this to the ancient Egyptians, where the culture is completely dead. The Pyramids of Giza are more than 4000 years old. The Temple of Kukulcan (the famous pyramid from Chichen Itza) is only around a 1000 years old. It's pretty ridiculous to talk about Egyptian culture and Mesoamerican culture as being similarly ancient cultures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Cactrot posted:

It verges into ancient when you don't pidgeon-hole it, the olmecs were around 3500 years ago.

I mean, you can play this game with practically every culture on the planet. As a generic statement, especially given the popular conflation of Mesoamerican society with Aztec society, it's certainly fair to say that they're really not ancient at all.

• Locked thread