Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
What's a good way to learn the advanced rules of Magic? This weekend I'm going to a prerelease and playing for the first time since original Zendikar. I get all the basic stuff like the idea of how the stack works, but when it comes to more obscure rules interactions that could plausibly show up I'm lost. Reading through 200 pages of comprehensive rules from WOTC is something I'd prefer not to have to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Honestly you probably won't need them at prerelease. What specifically are you not sure about?

Well I get how multiple instants and sorceries interact on the stack, but factor in triggered and activated abilities and I become much less sure of what's right. For example, say an opponent tries to Structural Distortion my Westvale Abbey. Can I sac it for Ormendahl in response?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Madmarker posted:

Holy crap you're right......A 0 mana 4/5.........Is this thing Vintage playable?

Given that it's also a Wall, I doubt it.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Went 3-1 as Orzhov colors. Fretwork colony was astonishingly effective, either becoming a monster or drawing removal every time I played it. Other MVPs include Gonti and Subtle Strike. I didn't think a 2 p/t swing would be that great but the occasional 2 for 1 trade won me several games.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Sickening posted:

After a lot of playtesting, it looks like indeed that the b/g fast land is the best of the new fast lands for jund/junk. Definitely going to be a 4x of in JUNK and probably a 1/2 of in jund. In junk it allows turn 1 noble into turn 2 lily/souls much more often at a considerable life savings, which is pretty amazing.

It also seems that lost legacy is a really great silver bullet hoser for ad nauseum and a few valakut decks.

Any chance it ends up being worth more than a few bucks? I got one but I'm not gonna waste time posting it for $5.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Wow Wizards could you not constantly poo poo on white?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Cactrot posted:

Staff of domination is pretty good in this limited format.

Hi five staff buddy. Pretty much only used it to tap creatures. Rakdos did work with Battle at the Bridge, Yahennis Expertise and Unlicensed Disintegration.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

jassi007 posted:

I think sooner, the fall set hasn't been announced right? I'd bet it is "return to Dominaria" basically the teaser makes me think the plot is more or less "go to Amonkhet, Bolas beats the poo poo out of the Jacetice League, they retreat to Dominaria."

Clearly Commander 2017 will be return to Dominaria with Ajani, Yawgmoth 2.0, and Teferi 3.0 as commanders.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Elyv posted:

what's yawgmoth 1.0

he dead

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

:siren: IMPORTANT :siren:

CalebD is streaming IPA drafts and has a Goblin Game in his deck. Get ready to witness history

He boarded it out. God is dead.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Looks like a copy editor hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

I'm holding out for Homarids, Samurai, Treefolk and Ogres.

• Locked thread