Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

mcmagic posted:

The srcylands were great. I don't think these are quite as good. But who knows.I think Cycling as a mechanic is awesome.

In conclusion, cycling duals are lands of contrast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Yeah my guess is that the plan is to just alternate between ally and enemy duals each block now that we get two every year.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

No, there won't be a Street Wraith reprint.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

They're obviously not talking about Modern.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Now I want to make dual proxies all using Bob Ross paintings as the art.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Attorney at Funk posted:

He has the voice you imagine John Wayne Gacy speaking to his victims in

Hey it's John, probably better known as the last thing you're going to see before you die.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

No, that templating is actually good. It makes the cards less narrow than if they only mentioned cycling and more intuitive to new players than if they only said discard.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Jabor posted:

Putting rules text on a card that does literally nothing is bad for new players, because it sets up false expectations.

If they wanted to explicitly call out cycling so that new players would see the combo, it should have been in reminder text.

What false expectations does this wording create?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

This has been a 4-5 mana effect for many years. It's still playable at 6 mana assuming there is a cycling matters theme in blue in limited.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

So much for any chance at aggro being viable in Standard. (I'm only slightly exaggerating.)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Giving wither to burn spells helps red aggro/midrange against opposing midrange decks by making burn spells matter even if they're not powerful enough to outright kill a creature. It's a marginal bonus, but one that could be relevant in the right metagame environment.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Rinkles posted:

I do like the cycling costs so far. They're more generous than I was expecting, even on commons.

Magic is much more about curving out on time than when the first couple times cycling existed, so there's a bigger opportunity cost to take time and mana to cycle cards away. SoI showed with clues that paying 2 mana to draw a card is good, but you won't always have time to do it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Nm, I'm dumb

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

It's also a free spell you drew from casting Never or milling it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Sampatrick posted:

What the hell, how would Desert of all cards be overpowered?

It probably would be at common or uncommon for limited and I doubt they wanted to spend a rare slot on a pure nostalgia reprint.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Sampatrick posted:

I can't help but love everything about this card

Who says WotC doesn't do relevant reprints in Standard!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Elyv posted:

I bet 90% of the reason she has that weird activated ability is to give her a white activated ability so she can be full Naya in EDH

Also because the exert mechanic is in Naya colors and the activated ability works with it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Did anyone think Bolas would be here and not in the set called Hour of Devastation?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Walk Without Rhythm - 1R
Sorcery
Creatures you control can't be blocked by Wurms until the end of turn.

Cycling R

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The manticore shall be known as Fling-Tongue Kavu from here in our.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

There's definitely some sort of gold set coming soon. The 5-color rare land doesn't make sense in this current Standard since BFZ and converge were expected to be rotating out when Amonkhet was being designed.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

mandatory lesbian posted:

Oh yeah, Rarity is a balancing mechanic for limited and that's fine, i meant more from a constructed stand-point with that statement since I don't think packs were made with limited in mind until...quite a while

It's true that sets weren't designed for drafting until a few years into the game, but Magic wasn't designed to have a competitive constructed tournament scene. Garfield thought most people would spend $25-50 on cards like it was a board game and they'd end up with roughly the equivalent of sealed decks.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

dragon enthusiast posted:

Mesopotamia world is on maros short list so that's probably what ixalan is

I'd say it's much more likely to be mesoamerica based, given the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Obviously the safe bet is in the big four tribes - goblins, merfolk, elves, and zombies.

My guess is that they'll do two or three of those and then make one or two of the decks support less robust tribes, likely ones that are popular but hard to get into Standard for flavor reasons.

Edit: for example I could see them passing on zombies since they've gotten a decent amount of attention in Standard recently.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 18, 2017

• Locked thread