Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Dear WotC,
Please don't be disrespectful to the game. You might not care, but others do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

beergod posted:

I assume not much has changed and the cheapest way to get the cards you want is to buy singles, right?

I want to get into competitive Modern but gently caress me why are packs $7 and why are the singles so expensive? Can someone link a competitive deck in the current metagame that is less than like $800?

These packs are a special limited edition reprints-only set that they seed with valuable constructed cards. Normally you get them the old fashioned way of being around when they're opened and building up a collection. For the meta check out mtgtop8.com and find something that tickles your fancy. The new set has really brought the price down on poo poo.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

GonSmithe posted:

"Gods among the people, wow, that's such a cool idea. So inspiring, we've never seen this before!"

It really seems like they wanted to go back to Theros then decided "oh poo poo Theros sucked let's do Egypt!"

Inspiring from Gideon's Therosian perspective where the gods live in the sky, hurl thunderbolts and tidal waves, and kill all your friends, yes.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

She appears much lighter skinned in the original art. Tan. I'm not surprised there are black people present, you dingus.

More interesting is how her eyes are silver in the left picture, and remarked upon as silver in the story yesterday, and green in the other. Could be some mood thing.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I don't see why magic needs cat snakes since ferret is already a supportred creature type :colbert:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Marketing New Brain posted:

I enjoyed damage on the stack for the depth it brought, but if you've ever played in limited against someone when they didn't know about it and you did, it felt like cheating.
What depth did it bring though? You always sacced/bounced the creature after stacking damage. There was always a right way and a wrong way. Now you actually have ot make choices and think what your opponent might be up to.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That enchantment is not garbo at all. It's aether vial that can do 'or less', hits all spell types, and works twice per untap all for the cost of 1u extra???

e: It lets you tap out and keep up counterspells! This card could singlehandedly bring back control possibly.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Not Hand to Mouth? Really?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Serperoth posted:

From Top Level Podcast, according to the link I saw on Tumblr

EDIT: I wanna see Cycling-Control stuff. Not many Cycling counterspells, but Complicate exists. And that new Enchantment that makes Drakes

This will need an errata since it removes the discarding half of cycling costs as well lol.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I can see Tales' point. Here's the explicit text:

702.28a Cycling is an activated ability that functions only while the card with cycling is in a player’s hand. “Cycling [cost]” means “[Cost], Discard this card: Draw a card.”

It's open for interpretation I guess and the card's intent is clear. Still, lol.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
What's the latest cephalid breakfast shell these days? Either that or ad naus are how to turn drawing your whole deck into a win.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
A red counterspell. You can stifle your lose the game trigger with disallow too. I'll wait for saffron olive to break it I think.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cauldron Moose posted:

I'm fairly certian i'm wrong, but shouldn't exiling a spell as it's resolving mean that you stop doing what it says on the rest of it?

This is the first time where there's a card that has text after "End the turn", right?

Don't think so. Nothing interrupts the steps of resolution of a spell ability detailed on a card. In fact, all abilities are atomic.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I've lost more than one game online where I click a bloodthrone vampire and because MODO sucks you can't tell if it worked or is just lagging so you click again and it eats itself to pump itself. So adding another is mostly just a practical consideration.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It resets your exert guys, mazes an attacker and surprise blocks another, saves a dude when they spend a trick to win combat, or just rebuys an ETB trigger. Seems fine.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

why is it only "bad players" who might not understand the "and" is exclusive and not inclusive, what is with this thread and wanting to poo poo on people who might just be newer or not know the rules as well

bad player spotted lol

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

suicidesteve posted:

Have you read this thread, never mind played actual paper Magic, or god forbid a prerelease? They're 100% correct.

"In response to you declaring attacks, I block like this."

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
This stream is really bad. The people are unfunny and play slower than molasses. Things I've learned:

- aftermath is irrelevant for limited, looks like
- not too high pressure it seems, you can durdle and build bricks and ramp and poo poo

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

I am told that prerelease packs are seeded to have decent rares in them, but almost every prerelease I've done calls loving bullshit.

There's no way they're capable of this.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

They probably could if they wanted to.

They don't care though and it's pretty evident where that rumor gets started.

This would mean making a separate rare sheet that biases towards cards that they think are good (by what metric?), put in to a separate pile of packs that have to be kept separate from your normal production output, at around the right quantity for one single event. It's totally out of the question.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Even without the exile clause, it wouldn't be the same game object that was discarded, since it went to the stack.

Something is off here.

Either it goes to the graveyard by way of exile, or by way of exile then the stack. So in both cases it's indirect and by your logic couldn't be found. Except the release notes say it doesn't work that way...

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Subways Jared posted:

Where are people doing their playtesting for stuff like STD decks? Are the two most popular options still Xmage, and Cockatrice, like I'm reading in the OP?

Thank you for this, exactly what I was looking for.

The modo beta is good, if you can get in. I was kicked last year for some reason. I think they didn't appreciate my feature requests like revamp the trading system, battlefield layout, and pairing queue and probably wanted just notes on broken new cards heh.

Also just proxying up some poo poo and jamming with friends. There was a good tool that let you print 5ish cards on to one card-sized piece of paper so you could 'play' 5 decks with one set of stock that was very handy.

I think though the canonical answer is 'don't play standard'.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ShaneB posted:

Yeah I haven't listened in a LOOOOOONG time. I agree that GAM is a bit better for viable (there I said it) stuff.

This is probably true but the attitude on the carsts are so different. Tlp is fun to listen to and their enthusiasm for everything (usually bad things) is super strong.

Gerry and co epitomise the mtg player everything is poo poo cynicism ethos too strongly.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/HeleneBergeot/status/853340241683333120

What's funny is I know for a fact the guy who did this doesn't even own a card and lives no where near Renton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

JerryLee posted:

I'm expecting so many bad players to not recognize/understand that the attack trigger doesn't need to have a counter to remove in order to place a counter

Marshall and LSV completely got it wrong in the set review lol

• Locked thread