Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Eela6 posted:

I don't agree. There have been plenty of 2 or 3 colored format staples. Siege Rhino, Crackling Doom, Abzhan Charm, Ghost Dad, 2WB Sorin....

A lot depends on context and the mana base available. Standard is so messed up right now it is hard to make real predictions. I'm excited to find out!

Plus, unbeatable snake God aside, amonkhet looks like an exciting limited format.

He said 'gold walkers' and sorin and AV way back in the day are the only ones that come to mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

mcmagic posted:

I meant in standard. Neither is or was a format staple in Modern.

Ajani Vengeant saw play in Modern on an on-again, off-again basis. Both early on and recently in Jeskai

The rest yeah, not so much.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah she saw some play recently, but I doubt we'll be seeing her often in the future.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 11, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

mcmagic posted:

Where is the fun in not being hyperbolic?

Seeing TFF regulars post in tg explains a lot, now that you mention it

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Firebatgyro posted:

This has to be the most variance between power level of card in a big mythic cycle for limited ever right? You have green god who is probably a top 5 creature ever, and blue god who is a Jayemdae Tome that costs 1 less to cast.

lol there is no way the Green god is a top 5 creature

e: He may not even be a top 5 green creature

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Lone Goat posted:

Sadly, Jump is already a card.

Hm. Interesting question: can they print Jump // Conclusions if Jump if the Jump part of the card is identical to the original?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

mcmagic posted:

It's not all together obvious that every spell on the stack is exiled including this...

Was going to say the exact same thing

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Dr. Stab posted:

That's also the thing that is actually on maro's short list.

It's a cool theme to base a set on, even if it does mean that we should get two sets with pyramids in a row. Excited to see what they do with it. Also Vraska is apparently/supposedly back, which is cool I guess.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Siivola posted:

If they make Vampires, Knights or Cats, I might end up buying a deck.

shudder

Man I'd love to see a WBR Knights deck with some kind of lord commander

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Tortilla Maker posted:

I stopped playing in 2002-ish. Played a booster draft in 2010. Walked into a hobby shop for funsies over the weekend and bought a booster pack. Have an itch to play again. A few questions first though.

Is "Standard" the old Type II?

Basically, yes

quote:

Why did they do away with Mana Burn?

It added very little to the game except to punish new players or work in like 3 decks ever designed in the history of the game. Just not worth continuing to support

quote:

Aside from new creature abilities, what major game mechanics have been introduced, modified, or eliminated since 2002-ish?

There have been a bunch of changes, including how combat damage works (no longer uses the stack), how mulligans work, the introduction of colorless mana, and double-faced cards. But most are pretty straightforward.

quote:

Is Magic Duels the cheapest/best way to be reintroduced to the game?

Yeah, probably. That or doing drafts

quote:

If I were to want to buy a pre-made custom deck (not a set's starter pack), which online sellers are best?

I like the duel decks. The old event decks were pretty good starting points as well.

quote:

Will my 5 or 6-digit DCI number still work? I see the new ones are 2000 digits long.

Sup, fellow 6-digit DCI Bro. You need to have your account updated on the Wizards site, but you can basically bring your number along with you.

quote:

Anyone want to send me extra cards to get me rolling?

Sure, PM me. You gotta cover shipping costs, though.

quote:

What should I do to my brother, who evidently decided to sell my collection in 2006-ish? Laughing at the current price of dual lands, Unglued, and all the fun cards I had collected from Beta to Invasion.

Live and let live, I say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Shortest Path posted:

Legends are also pretty significantly different from when you said you stopped playing. Legendary is a supertype (like Snow or Basic) that can be put on any permanent type. So Legendary Creature - Goblin, Legendary Enchantment, etc.

This hasn't changed. There were legendary lands in the original Legends set and the first legendary artifact was printed in Stronghold.

• Locked thread