Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

pretty piecture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Angry Grimace posted:

Totally serious though. I'm gonna be mcmagicing for this card until it rotates out.

lol the metaphor breaks down because it's actually a good card that will see play

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I actually think mcmagic will be proven right (for the first time in history) on the Kalitas/Huntmaster/Chandra's parents debate.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yeah Inflitrator is just weird, but hey 2 mana for 2 power, that's cool

Devoid Dissipate is meh but Dissipate was played back in Innistrad so who knows it may be played again, tho I think Scatter has better value usually

Also probably planning ahead as a hedge / way to interact with decks featuring possible graveyard stuff in Innistrad next set, which is when we had Dissipate.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Caleb recorded a video for CFB with a UB version of the Eldrazi list, with Serum Visions, Ashiok, and Drowner of Hope.

http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-calebd-modern-ub-eldrazi/

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Zoness posted:

Errata'd to instant

I want to report this post.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
What even is op newb poo poo anyone could counter?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

little munchkin posted:

Eating a removal spell and being left with a 1/1 token is not "getting value"

You would be up on the exchange, which I think qualifies as quote "getting value" end quote.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

okay so i got the old MTGO account booted up, is there like a bulk sellbot i can sell these cards too to see if i have enough to get into the mirrodin draft?

I usually use these guys http://www.goatbots.com/

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Also if you haven't opened MTGO since 2013, I feel compelled to remind you to make sure you're adding your cards to your active trade binder, so the bot can see them :v:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

superstepa posted:

So I gave in and bought an MTGO account and it's not that bad? The business model is very archaic but the interface isn't anywhere near as bad as everyone says it is (although I expected it to be a Duels of the Planeswalker levels of atrocious so I might have set my expectations too low). I've playing in open pauper rooms all day and it works really well, I might even drop some more money on it to play in the pauper tournament

MTGO is totally fine basically and I never have any issues with it.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I will draft 1 billion copies of this:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
This set's gonna be good for draft.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
So, this is the Lightning Strike we deserve :\

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Keep finding more SOM reprints in this set.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Terrible Horse posted:

I was wrong about the art in this set, lots of Eldrazi cards are really cool looking, particularly Ruin in Their Wake

Ah, conditional Rampant Growth at uncommon. What the gently caress, wizards. Art owns though

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
This set looks good to draft because of how flat it seems. Just a lot of playable cards with few 'oops I win' rares. I think several people have already said this, but I agree and am saying it

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Also the Black 5 mana dude who has pay 1 life to get colorless mana seems really good, especially if you can get him out early and just vomit big dudes while you're opponent is still playing dorky guys

You can only do it once each turn, lol. It's not Channel.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

well untapping is blue but yeah it's more a white card to me, its one of those bends they do to support the themes of the set

It basically acknowledges being a white card in the flavor text, too

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Rinkles posted:

I was looking at some old videos the other day, and it was crazy seeing lightning bolt and path side-by-side in standard.

Followed by Jace, Stoneforge, Batterskull, Fetches, Preordain, and Bolt. So basically Legacy.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Okay that ending to LSV's last cube was very good. Thanks for the heads up.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Angry Grimace posted:

The whole argument "well you gotta do anything to win" is one of those eye-rolling arguments where it doesn't actually extend to everything despite everyone acting like it does, e.g. monitoring what cards opposing teams are ordering (which isn't actually illegal) and doesn't actually apply to lots of things despite people saying it does. The George Brett incident is notable because its an outlier, the same way you don't see people arguing that guys don't run up the first base line in the runners box even though technically you are out if you run outside of it and there's a loving lot more money on the line. Golfers literally call penalties on themselves.

I mean, if you really want to win by grinding out those type of advantages then at least have the decency to not also claim the moral high ground and just admit you don't give a gently caress as long as you win.

Sorry to keep beating this into the ground, but it's funny you're saying this since like a year ago we got into a huge argument here specifically because you claimed to not view that guy who was spying on other players' purchases for a PT or GP as being scummy at all, simply because the act wasn't against the rules so it was a "do anything it takes to win" sorta deal and by definition can't be scummy if it's within the rules.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

black potus posted:

cite plz

e: also the other one bc i can't find any of this poo poo

Here's one from the other weekend:

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1257162

edit: here

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=97575

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I woulda preferred mcmagic being held to never using ellipses again...

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Voyager I posted:

I think the general permissiveness with naming contributes to the problem. Usually even the vaguest description is good enough, so if you don't know that some obscure card actually has another, even more obscure card from ten years ago with an overlapping name, there's no reason to expect so much precision to suddenly be necessary to not get rules lawyered.

Again, I understand that the Judges did their jobs and interpreted the rules correctly, but what the situation actually reflects is an undesirable snag in the current rules and not something we should pretend is somehow a good outcome. In general, I'd say that in situations where ambiguity exists, the desirable outcome would be to clarify that ambiguity before proceeding to adjudication.

Exactly, if you didn't know there was another Borborygmos printed, and you knew that name was contained in the card name, you would never in a million years say "that land-throwing beast guy" so I don't know why that's being used in defense of the rule or as an example for how this guy could have avoided it coming up.

Given that, I don't personally care that the guy got held to it, just noting this because I'm posting on the internet.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 11, 2016

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Hellsau posted:

Mark Rosewater makes offhand comment about grape scent, queue endless debate on MTGSalvation about whether that means the next planeswalker will be a new sixth seventh color or just Izzet.

FTFY

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Entropic posted:

Oh god I actually just looked up Force of Will and it's worse than I remembered.

For all that we bitch and moan about bland CG art in new sets, no other game looks as good as Magic.

Yeah it's horrendous and I cringe every time someone mentions it in here, this, the Magic: the Gathering, thread.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
That Skullclamp art is not even 0.1% as bad as the best FoW art.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah doing 5000 damage makes you feel like a more powerful wizard than doing 5. Pokemon also has the cool contoured foils that we're never gonna get in magic unless you wanna see Kibler rubbing his cards every time he shuffles.

Maybe if you're like 5 years old and truly care about games making you feel like a more powerful wizard because zeroes.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Angry Grimace posted:

Nissa's Renewal actually sees play a bit in ramp but I don't really know why. It doesn't actually do anything to stabilize beyond gaining an amount of life that probably doesn't matter on the turn you can cast it.

My opponents reaction to Nissa's Revelation revealing Ulamog is way more worth it, plus you can live he agony of whiffing.

As a Jeskai Black player, anytime my opponent casts Nissa's Renewal I groan because I know something I can't deal with is coming the very next turn for a fact (and likely the turn after that, and after that, etc... given Sanctum of Ugin). It changes a bit post-board with Negate and Disdainful Stroke, but I've usually blown those earlier on Explosive Vegetations and maybe a naturally cast Ugin. The 7 life definitely matters to me since it gives them 1-2 turns of breathing room depending on how fortunate I've been with my Monastery Mentor draw, and I feel Jeskai Black really needs to be able to close out the game fast against ramp when it has the tiniest window open, and Nissa's Renewal feels the most window-slamming-shut when I face it.

edit: I forgot about Duress which I also have a good amount of, but any number of spells that deal with non-creature spells out of my opponent basically never feel like enough against ramp, which I have my worst match % against by far.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 12, 2016

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Ultima66 posted:

Reminder: WotC literally fired the previous community manager Mike Robles for making a tweet telling someone that it was okay for him to proxy an expensive card for his EDH deck if his playgroup was okay with it.

This owns, for how straight out of a movie it is. Literally Evil Corp.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

BJPaskoff posted:

I can assure you that smugly bringing up Collector's Edition cards doesn't contribute anything to the argument. Bringing up that there's a two year old article on the official Magic site suggesting you ask your LGS to run proxy tournaments, however, is a big deal.

A user on Reddit had this to say:

quote:

quote:
Your problem lies in that you are asking too many questions. I'm being serious. Hear me out.

Essentially, they're saying that - though their official policy is strict on proxies and counterfeits - they REALLY don't care about them actually being used given that they're not Chinese Counterfeits. Like they really don't care, at all.

The original post was made to ONE gaming store that was a private communication. By blowing it up, they now have to reiterate their official policy and refuse you the plausible deniability that we are so often given. Now, instead of ignoring it/giving a "warning" when some douchebag who gets DQ'd reports a store for allowing proxies, they have to follow-through on their promise because we made this private email (which acts as a first warning to that specific LGS), very public (now a first warning to every LGS).

Essentially, when you ask about a policy, they are going to quote you the official policy (the one that protects them legally). NOT the plausible deniability that they give us between the lines.

By blowing this up, we're FORCING them to enforce certain policies that they don't really care to enforce because not doing so would hurt their ability to enforce it when it really matters (in the courts vs. Chinese counterfeiters for example).

tl;dr: In public, when you ask them, they have to quote official policy, but they're winking at you when doing so. If you don't get it, What Trick is saying is the official policy. What Helene is saying is the "Wink" (she's winking really hard). STOP ASKING FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION.

Some of that makes sense. Anyone from Wizards with the ability to comment on this at all is a robot who has to repeat the company line and nothing but that. I don't think there's a "wink" involved here at all though. Since no one's been suspended over this, had their WPN privileges taken away, or been explicitly threatened with either of those penalties, it's hard to say whether this Reddit person is right or if this "first warning" marks the start of Wizards actually enforcing their policy.

This seems really spot on actually.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

cheetah7071 posted:

Hyperbole aside, I wouldn't be surprised if magiccards.info gets a takedown notice within the next six months, the way wizards has been behaving. Why should anyone look at images of magic cards anywhere but gatherer?

Especially on a site where every card's page features this functionality

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I'm gonna go ahead and not bash WoTC for doing the right thing given the circumstances, despite coming after them doing a litany of consecutive wrong things.

edit:

Mikujin posted:

No they didn't. The right thing is to fully investigate a matter before slamming down the hammer. They did the absolute wrong thing. Trying to undo the incredibly wrong thing you did doesn't somehow make it go away (although I bet they wish it would).
Unless wizards also invented time travel, I'm not sure how harping on this point is relevant though

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Mikujin posted:

An apology would go a long way. By reducing the suspensions to basically just time already served, WotC is standing firm that they were 100% justified in their knee-jerk reactionary bans. The only reason they're even making a public showing of this is to try and earn back some favor from people who don't see that there's nothing apologetic about the should-be-an-apology announcement.

Even if it didn't come out with a full blown "We're really sorry for messing this up", the wording of the announcement makes clear that they've fully absorbed the need to very clearly communicate very clearly what the stance is around leaks and culpability (the details of which seemed very reasonable from this latest post). The fact that it took like 5 announcements to get it right is par for the course for Wizards, and I guess I'm giving them credit for getting it this right at all, given the low bar. Maybe I should be holding them to some absolute standards, but it's a company run by socially awkward nerds with no business sense catering to an audience of extremely sensitive socially awkward nerds, and I'm fine with this announcement.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
lol so in the end, Wizards isn't a big bad company out to gently caress us all in the rear end, and Elaine Chase should probably be their sole public face across all possible media

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

you should link it, cause i can't seem to find it

http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online/legacy-cube-updates-2015-01-04

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

like it gave me her twitter and an article from 2014 with her talking to frank lepore or something, this article doesn't show up at all dude

actually it does, don't worry that you're bad at google

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Melissa+DeTora+Legacy+Cube

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Ciprian Maricon posted:

The first result for me there is a facebook post and then a twitter post.

it's almost like google results are personalized and they might be slightly different based on whatever file Google has on you at their skynet headquarters and you don't need to be a pedantic prick when someones results aren't exactly the same as yours.

lol, tgif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Hellsau posted:

I was about to defend High Market, since gaining life equal to the toughness of a sacrificed creature at no additional mana cost is actually pretty good, but then I remembered that was Diamond Valley and that High Market gains 1 life and is worthless.

Jace, the Mind Sculptor, Treachery, and the Splinter Twin combo exist alongside Carrier Thrall and a ton of lovely white aggro stuff. Why is Archangel of Thune in the cube if there's no actual combos with it? Do I really want to be playing a 5 mana 3/4 that needs to attack a few times to actually pay me off, while my opponent is reanimating Grave Titan or assembling Pestermite/Splinter Twin, or just burning me the gently caress out before turn 5 even comes? Archangel just seems worse than any of the white four drops. Why not just put in all the Soul Sisters garbage if you're going to put in a terrible white archetype? At least Soul Sisters is fun.

The cube is excessively imbalanced - there are good archetypes, and there are horrible ones. I don't think the table can all be on good archetypes, so you need to hope at least one of the people in your pod wants to play White Weenie, hope at least two people force mono-red to cannibalize eachother (unless it's deep enough for two) and then figure out which of Blue Control/Twin/Reanimator/Green Ramp are open for your seat.

The best was that horrific cube video on CFB a few months ago by I think Josh McClain where he scanned his P1P1 and confidently declared Archangel of Thune the best card in the pack without a doubt (I believe it included, among other things, Noble Hierarch and Recurring Nightmare). Even being exceedingly generous, it was somewhere around the 13th best card in the pack.

• Locked thread