Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bugsy posted:

really looks like what is going on on the bottom of Skitterskin.

I do kinda like the idea of bismuth crystals as a basic land, if we're really doing the 6th basic land thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

EatinCake posted:

All the discussion about a new mana symbol has got me and a buddy talking about 'snowdrazi', and, well

Emrakul, the Seasons Festive

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

* Kiora basically says "gently caress off" and summons an Octopus to take her away. Jace tries one last time to convince her, this time using MIND POWERS. Kiora does not loving like this and attacks Jace. Jace has to be protected by Gideon-senpai because Jace is a little bitch.
Picturing this as Kiora summoning up a whirlpool and giving Jace the multiverse's biggest swirlie.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

Grimace's Uncharted Realms Abridged:
I am so glad you do these because I tried to read the last one and could only get about 5 lines in before closing the browser window and then deleting my history.

Jesus gently caress WotC, you could hire literally anyone with a creative writing degree, pay them $30k/yr, and get better poo poo than this. Hell, you could pick up someone from fanfiction.net who has grammatically correct stories and they'd be better most of the time!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pontius Pilate posted:

Is that even true? I bet demons would love a treasure cruise.
Yeah but those sell out so fast that they often have to settle for a dig through time.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Cernunnos posted:

A lot of people have been turned off by the cost of the current Standard I think.
It's that plus there's just not anything that interesting in it right now, at least for me. Everything is either Atarka Red "throw everything at your head asap" poo poo or durdly 4 color good stuff decks, neither of which particularly interest me. I wish there was a good Sidisi Whip style combo/toolbox type thing out there but I haven't heard or seen anything like that and it just puts me off of it. Plus there's been an increasing number of idiots at my store who feel the need to do retarded shuffling superstitions for 10 minutes between games and I just do not have the patience for that poo poo.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mezzanon posted:

Play B/u aristocrats, it's the only deck that intrigued me at all this standard, I'm still toying with treasure cruise/grim haruspex. It's an insanely fun deck that shits all over atarka red, and most of the 4 color durdle decks.
Got a deck list handy? I've heard/seen so many people describe their deck as "X/y aristocrats" with pretty much nothing in common between them.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I would like them to create at least one half-compelling planeswalker to give even a partial gently caress about. I'm not even expecting something good, just something Sorin-tier that I can't sum up in three words or less.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

Ugin pretty much said that Sorin's actually quite selfish and self-motivated and his desire to stop the Eldrazi is simply due to his long perspective as a super ancient as gently caress vampire - he does stuff for the greater good because in the very long term it benefits him to not have the Eldrazi free to gently caress up every random plane.
I really like that as a motivation, though. "Of course I'll help you seal the reality-eating horrors up! I like to continue existing after all."

I particularly enjoy when they have him hate the storyline/other involved characters as much as I do. It's very relatable.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Lord of Hats posted:

As long as we're playing 'find other goons at your store', does anyone else here go to Mead Hall in Minneapolis? I started going not too long ago and man that's a great store.
I don't go there only because I've heard some rather disparaging things about a handful of people who play there (and primarily because it's a bit of a hike). Debating popping down there to draft tomorrow, though.

Also apparently We Got Game over on 25th(ish) and Hennepin is trying to get some kind of magic thing going, either FNM or casual play or the like. The guy who runs it is a decent chap.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Maro always says testing shows more people are confused by that but literally every new kid I run into is using his lawnmower elves to fetch forests so...
Same here, in multiple cities and states. I really want to know where Maro/WotC are getting their "tests" from because I'm inclined to believe them less than any given statement preceded by "4 out of 5 dentists agree".

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

fan fiction about nothing.
I didn't know Maro also wrote for Seinfeld!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Froghammer posted:

Dominaria is boring and if you like it then you're boring
I want to see phyrexian slivers and if you don't then you are a butt

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lancelot posted:

I think "resolves" is just as bad as "stack".
I think if you can't wrap your head around what 'resolves" and "stack" that maybe Magic just isn't the game for you.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

EatinCake posted:

The real question is how long we'll have to wait to get snow-covered Wastes.
I wanna know how they're gonna combine ♦ and the snow mana symbol for colorless snow mana.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I hope that there's a reprint of the Exodus Oath cycle in Oath. Oath of Druids in standard :getin:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Hellsau posted:

Naw, you Arcane Denial your own spell in response to your opponent's Counterspell. That tends to end well.
I remanded my own spell in response to my opponent's Cryptic Command, then played the spell again because that was his last card. Felt so good.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Well that's stupid, so no wonder you think the format is stupid too.
Trying to make magic into a multiplayer game is like trying to use D&D rules for a survival horror RPG.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Shortest Path posted:

EDH, 2HG, Emperor, and Conspiracy drafts were all great, and so is Call of Cthulhu. Sounds about right!
CoC d20 is hilariously bad, as are EDH, 2HG, & Emperor and for the same reason: it's a particularly shoddy attempt to force a game system to do something it's not equipped at all to do except on the barest "well technically" level. I never played Conspiracy because the "like draft, but with extra poo poo!" hook never interested me, especially when all the extras look as ridiculous as the EDH specific poo poo.

But hey it's nice that they're giving me an A+ reason to avoid this prerelease.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

UberJew posted:

for anybody who does not already it would behoove you to read the past couple pages of the edh thread to better understand this post
For anyone who does not want to read the posting equivalent of slamming your dick in a car door, maybe you could summarize it for us.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I love magic as a game, but the people are (as always) making me reconsider how much I want to play it. There's just so many people with ridiculous superstitions and lovely personalities that I can't hardly muster the desire to go to any event, and at least half the judges around here have the same problems. Just loving shuffle your cards like a real person, don't do a ten minute ritual "so it's more random" (because that's wrong) or "so [your] lands are more spread out" (because that's cheating) or "[you] just do better with this way" (because that's either or both of the previous). Don't shuffle and/or flick your cards in hand every half second, especially if you were just whinging on about how riffle shuffles hurt your cards (it doesn't unless you're bending the cards 10x harder than you would ever need to, much like you would to get that lovely snapping noise). Turn off your loving cell phone. You're so popular that you're at FNM instead of out with these people you can't stop texting for a full six seconds, congrats. Maybe, if that conversation on your phone is so important, you should drop and go have that talk unimpeded by others.

And for gently caress's sake, if I ask you politely to not do these things or any other thing that costs you nothing and makes our match more pleasant, just loving do it. Don't go into 15 minutes of "but whhhhhyyyyyyyy" and "but I'm allowed because it's not specifically prohibited" because that's poo poo too. I have nervous tics too, and if you ask me politely, I'll try my best to stop for the same reason: I want our games to be good games, and if you piss away half our match time on magical thinking and other bullshit, we have less time for magical playing.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

NivMizzet posted:

I (stupidly) decided to read Twitch chat during the World Magic Cup, and there were a ton of people supporting pile shuffling with lovely arguments like "You should use multiple methods of shuffling anyway" and "It's pseudo-randomization but there's no such thing as complete randomization anyway".

They just couldn't get it through their heads that pile shuffling isn't random at all. I blame the fact that it has the word "shuffling" in it.
I think it's that plus the aforementioned "I saw a pro do this so I'm gonna do it!" parroting. It's just bizarre to me because so many of the things people copy are these awful nervous tics/absurd habits that I'd be honestly embarrassed to have broadcast all over the world. It would be like me showing up to a friendly game of penny-ante poker in an oversized hoodie and sunglasses because I saw a couple dudes on WSoP doing it. Pile shuffling has to be the worst of the lot simply because it takes the longest for no benefit. I wish WotC would take a harder stance on it and just ban it under slow play/stalling.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I think they should make a format where the ban list is "literally every card over $10 TCG mid" and see what happens.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

WOTC's position is apparently that the community exists as some kind of Borg-like entity whose purpose is to assist WOTC in making money.
And that's really the brass tacks of the problem; they don't see their customers as people who need to be drawn in (and kept in), they see them as wallets whose money already belongs to them and how dare you not give it to us. Which obviously has the exact opposite effect and debacles like this only punctuate their complete lack of respect for the people ultimately responsible for their continued employment.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

rabidsquid posted:

This exchange is loving hilarious literally the page after "Ask any questions here we're really friendly!"
Really really friendly towards newbies and their questions. We're vicious hatemonsters when it comes to anything regarding tournament magic or spoilers.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Balon posted:

Both a combo and a non-bo with Skullclamp!
Just clamp 2 clamps on an x/1, problem solved!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zemyla posted:

Standard has been a dumpster fire since Murdergoats Sidisi Whip rotated
FTFY. For all the whining people did about Whip being too good/OP/broken (lol @ that) I doubt we'll see a standard as interesting and fun as Theros/Tarkir for a long time. Also hating that whatever deck I build will invariably rotate at most 6 months after I build it so maybe I'll just have to quit standard until they change to a new rotation style in a couple of years.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Imagine three blocks on the edge of a cliff. Say a block is sent to the back of the line of blocks and takes the place of the first block. The formerly first block becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the third falls off the cliff.

Standard works the same way.
Johnny5cardcombo.jpg

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

I THINK Nissa is bad but I'm not going to make the mistake of underrating cheap costed plainswalkers anymore...
I think that the last time we saw a plainswalker was in Odyssey. :v:

I want to see a planeswalker that gives plainswalk.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GonSmithe posted:

Wow is this the first good Punisher card???
Dash Hopes is the best punisher card and I'll not hear otherwise. :colbert:

Edit: That card's gonna be real disappointing for as long as hangarback is with us.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 30, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Flayer Drone is easily my favorite out of that lot and make me want to build RB Devoid a lot. Drop that guy, tick up hangarback, sac it to whatever and do a pile of damage.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Reflector Mage into Despise seems like it could also be pretty good.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JerryLee posted:

They should keyword different types of flavor text so they don't have to write them out each time.

Juvenilia (This card's flavor text was written by a 12-year-old trying to sound cool in an AOL roleplay chatroom, circa 1995.)
That would be about 80% of flavor text at this point.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
^^^ Anyone who doesn't call them Helicopter Parents is wrong.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Idk Liliana is a Real name, if uncommon

I guess the fact thats the only real english name i can think of is telling
Elspeth is a real name of Scottish origin, that's sort of close to English.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

The feel bads in JPG form

You'd think if your opponent Entombs a Massacre Wurm t1, it might be a better idea to wait on going balls out on young pyro/empty the warrens fun times until you can counter whatever reanimate spell is obviously coming.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
poo poo, I totally blanked on Entomb being an instant. That makes much more sense now!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Fish Of Doom posted:

You just have to realize that everything on Grixis sounds like power metal bands or albums, and it becomes way more forgivable. Thraximundar would be a fantastic 80's power metal name. Who wouldn't listen to "Killer of Kings" by the band Unscythe? "Cruel Ultimatum" by Prince of Thralls?
Grixis is the best shard and I really hope that one day we get an entire plane that is just all 80s all the time.

Bonus points if it turns out that's where Nahiri has been hanging out.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

For the lulz, dammit.
You are a bad bad person for making me want to figure out how to make this happen reliably.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Archenteron posted:

Blah blah blah I will rule or destroy every plane, gently caress all y'all.
I want this to be the flavor text of a card and I don't even care what said card does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Gideon, the Stalwart Superadon walked through the corridors of Multiverse Tower until he reached the sanctum of Jace, the Brain Thinker. He knocked on the door. It was a hollow, knocking sound -- the kind of sound you would hear when the fist of justice meets birchwood.

The door opened. "I've been expecting you," sneered Jace, his hooded trenchcoat billowing in an unfelt wind. "What is it you wanted?"

"Well, uh," sputtered Gideon, "Nissa said you were a stupidhead. I am telling you this because liberty."

Jace's eyes turned dark, with a fire that mirrored the blackness of my very soul. "Well then," he said. "I'll show her who's a stupidhead." He whirled around, slamming the door behind him, retreating to begin his plot for revenge.

Gideon turned and walked back through the corridors to his room. Entering, he removed a cloth covering a crystal ball. "He believed it, Ajani. And you're sure this will make Chandra like me?"

Ajani's face in the crystal ball smiled. "Oh yes, everything will work out perfectly." The camera flies through the crystal ball and we see Nicol Bolas, wearing a plastic Ajani halloween mask
I was hoping for Ajani, Secret Rakshasa at the end but this is good too.

• Locked thread