Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Molybdenum posted:

Is there coverage of gp Lilli?

Nope, which is a shame because I was the feature match judge one round :(

(But a good thing because everyone is sweating buckets please stop holding GPs in badly air conditioned venues in 34c heat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

anglachel posted:

She did get it upgraded. He got the exact punishment she said she knew as a judge he deserved, and she got him expelled from the venue.

No, the correct* penalty from judges is the one he received, a Match Loss. USC Major is upgraded to a DQ if the player shows no remorse, which isn't the case here. On top of that, the TO always has discretion to remove a player from the venue, which is what she pushed for and got.

For what it's worth, I'm also one of the judges that puts the graft in to try and improve things on this front. It often feels like quite an uphill struggle - at Lille I had to confront the TO and Judge Manager about tournament staff (inc a judge) poorly handling a male player walking in on a woman changing in the women's loving bathroom because he couldn't be bothered to wait in a 3-deep queue for the men's. That said, if any of the judges here (or folks who are thinking of judging) can be bothered, I heartily encourage you to try and improve this poo poo; it IS worth it and we ARE seeing change.

* This situation has actually made me consider whether this penalty needs changing to a DQ every time; it feels like the justification for removing him from the venue could just as well apply to removing him from the tournament

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 28, 2016

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

ShaneB posted:

Can't wait to call JUDGE! if my opponent attempts to pile shuffle more than once between games. (I will actually try to politely tell them that they shouldn't do that because it's against the rules now).

Although pile shuffle people will do it after mulliganning, of course, and between every game.

The "as a count" is the key here. I intend to ask every player I see piling post-mulligan as a judge why they're piling.

Gonna give out so many slow play warnings it's gonna be great

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

anglachel posted:

Pile shuffle change is good. They should probably add a thing about minimum riffles too.

The chances that we start insisting on riffles in this very expensive card game are nil.

We have a penalty for Insufficient Shuffling and I reckon most judges know what it roughly means.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Hey folks, the name of any visible object is public information and if you don't know what a card is, your opponent is required to tell you truthfully if asked. If you want the Oracle text of it, call a judge who will give it to you (an opponent can refuse to tell you, but if they do tell you they can't lie about it).

Seriously, everyone go read sections 4.1 and 4.2 of the MTR immediately and then continue this discussion, yeah?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

the sexual Shiite posted:

We have literally one angle grinder at our store who waits until someone has a reason to look away from the board, then plays his creatures silently, and doesn't say anything when they look back.

He'll drop without a word to the TO when he's lost the first round of FNM, and he begs for he begs for draft chaff even though we save it for new kids, so he can bulk it off to pay for his next higher level event.

This seems like an issue for the TO to address; they should make it clear the behaviour they have a problem with and that changing it is a requirement of their continued attendance.

ManMythLegend posted:

The only thing I've learned from the last few pages is that I never want to play competitive Magic apparently.

From my experience (TO, L2 judge, regular Comp REL player) this sort of behaviour is a very tiny minority and most players are friendly and non-scummy whilst still trying to win.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Again, modo/duels is great for teaching players how they need to sequence things properly.

It doesn't help much with the tournament shortcuts part of it though; MODO will happily give the active player priority in the Beginning of Combat step, whereas "go to combat" gives the non-active player priority.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mcmagic posted:

You CANNOT surge a creature from under a killed Spell Queller even if you've cast a previous spell this turn, correct?

Correct. You can't pay alternate costs like Surge, but you can pay additional costs like Escalate

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Serperoth posted:

"A player lies to a tournament official about what happened in a game to make his case stronger" is literally the second example in the "Unsporting Conduct - Cheating" section of the IPG, for what that's worth.

If there were stats available for what folks got DQd for, lying to a judge would probably be right up the top.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

80s James Hetfield posted:

Why do you have to audibly announce the trigger from Rest in Peace? It's not a "you may" it's a hard "When it enters the battlefield, exile all graveyards"

Was Kent just trying to be a rules lawyer trying to get that extra inch on his opponent. You know what RiP does, don't make a spectacle out of it. Jesusfuck some of these grinders are babyboy idiots

It sure is still a trigger rather than an ETB effect.

And yes, there's a whole bunch of grinders that spend their time learning how to game their opponent rather than actually getting better at Magic. They're a particular peeve of mine in the UK.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Skyl3lazer posted:

Doesn't matter if you like it or not, having better knowledge of games rules to gain an advantage is explicitly part of the goal.

The part of the MTR that refers to this was changed pretty much entirely to kill off this argument. It now reads "A player should have an advantage due to better understanding of the options provided by the rules of the game". An explanation of the change can be found at http://blogs.magicjudges.org/telliott/2016/01/18/ogw-policy-changes/

quote:

There’s a few changes in the MTR (welcome, Wastes!) and one small but important one I want to call attention to, because it’s been a source of misunderstanding over the years: “The philosophy of the DCI is that a player should have an advantage due to better understanding of the rules of a game…” This has sometimes been held up as a defense of rules lawyering, which could not be further from the truth. Knowing what the rules are gives you an advantage because it opens up your decision tree; you may be aware of paths to take that other players might not be, and so that sentence has been altered to make this clearer. Of course, knowing the rules isn’t always an advantage. Sometimes you can see too many paths!

E: Also, to be clear I'm fully aware that they're allowed to angle shoot (non-sporting conduct isn't necessarily Unsporting Conduct) but if my time in both MTG and poker has taught me anything is that these players tend to be wasting their time on this sort of nonsense rather than actually spending it getting better; that's why you see it fairly rarely at the actual top of the game.

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 24, 2016

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Chill la Chill posted:

It becomes worse when they do step up and get shat on. They then carry that chip on their shoulder and have an attitude of someone with something to prove. Then they get mad at you for doing well when you don't spend nearly as much time practicing the game as they do and spend all your tournament prep time playing Halo and COD the night before instead.

It's also the point when these sorts of folks tend to turn to actual cheating; they've spent a long time considering themselves hot poo poo and can tend to try and make reality match up with their view of themselves.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sigma-X posted:

Pretty sure I already explained why it was badly written but I think making characters whose principal character trait is being that minority instead of having it be a facet of their character is poo poo writing, I have nothing against "acknowledging them", so climb on down from that high horse. When you make the entirety of their character about their minority struggles instead of them being characters who are minorities its patronizing or poo poo writing, and these dudes do a much better job of being folks who are both gay and heroes.

Making "this guy is the powerful wizard" and "this guy is the gay one" instead of "this guy is the powerful wizard and also likes dudes" is hacky.

At the same time, the trans MTG friends I have really liked Alesha so maybe it's just fine? :shobon:

I get that it's lazy as gently caress but it was so, so much better than gently caress all

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Hellsau posted:

I'm not going to call them on missing their Goblin Rabblemaster trigger because they activated their Needle Spires first, come on.

You may not, but if the discussion around tournament shortcuts of late has taught me anything, it's that there's a lot of hyper-spike shites that have entirely focused on playing Gotcha! rather than Magic.

Chill la Chill posted:

Just wondering but how likely is it for L1s to even know about this stuff? As in, how much does this information and philosophy actually propagate to the wider community? I assume in FNMs and probably even PTQs with attentive non-active players catching someone trying to gotcha them and calling the judge, this will still happen.

Depends entirely on the L1. If they're involved, reading the blog themselves or having judge buddies who've shared the post, they'll know. If not, probably not?

There will be some L2s who won't get this but between the blog and conferences we're trying to get the information out there.

A big flaming stink posted:

Just play magic like IRL Modo and explicitly announce every single phase of the game, including damage and end of combat!

This will not work how you think it'll work with regards to the Beginning of Combat step. In order to get into that step explicitly you need to modify the shortcut, eg "at beginning of combat activate my Raging Ravine".

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mehall posted:

You mean it'd become like magic in literally every other country in the world.
Us over here in the UK have only just started to get a series (thanks mad house!) and they've not had a single Scottish date yet.

Pretty sure the Madhouse series is dead too; in the same year a bunch of stores tried to set them up and one by one they've all died because no-one is supporting them.

MMH especially were taking some really large baths on their guaranteed prize pools.

(Also nobody cares about Scotland :v: )

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

lockdar posted:

In mainland Europe we have magiccardmarket.eu that's trying to do the same. I think their series have been succesful in attendance but I'm not sure if they do any video coverage of these events...

I'm a little sad they cancelled the London leg of that :(

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't know about your areas, but in mine the tournament scene has died down considerably. When store-run PPTQs and SCG IQs started to be able to be scheduled, we'd have one or the other every Saturday, sometimes at multiple stores on the same day. It was causing a lot of frustration among store owners, because they didn't communicate with each other and often would have a competing tournament draw their crowds away. Nobody wanted twelve players at their PPTQ when those kinds of high-stakes events used to draw 32+ players. Stores around Long Island have either stopped running PPTQs and IQs (like mine) or do them once in a blue moon. It's probably more a sign that tournament schedules have normalized than "Magic is dying!" but on the surface it looks scary when there aren't as many tournaments as there used to be.

This is happening in my area of the UK but we've never had IQs (last one within commuting distance was RTR block Team Sealed). PPTQs are really starting to die off and collapse down to the maximum sustainable; we're seeing a lot of situations where there'll be one PPTQ in the whole of the mainland UK on a day and the big grinders are travelling 2-3 hours to them.

About 6 months ago, I could find a local (<=1 hour) PPTQ pretty much every weekend.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sickening posted:

Its weds and the GP only has 500 slots left before capacity. Probably will be sold out by tomorrow. Nuts to think that you couldn't just show up to the gp and play. I haven't been to a gp in forever. Do they all sell out?

Well, you've not been able to register on the Saturday forever, and it may be a bit different in the US but in Europe you sure as poo poo pre-register; seems a bit daft to book flights and hotel without ensuring your place in the event too.

That said, no, not all GPs sell out, but it's becoming more common.

(also who goes to play the main event, just chaos draft your face off like any good degenerate)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TheKingofSprings posted:

"Please play standard again"

maybe we would if we weren't forced to schedule them on Saturdays

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mehall posted:

Sat and failed my L2 by a question today.
Had a fun day, and these things happen. Pass mark is the pass mark.
Doesn't stop it being annoying.

Keep at it - that's the exact score I got on my first attempt. Got one more right on my second :v:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Miracles may not be a great spectator sport but I dont really get most of the whining about the deck; I played 4 rounds with it over the weekend (including 2 3-game mirror matches) and only got one draw, vs Burn.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

suicidesteve posted:

People are bad and play slow but instead of enforcing slow-play rules we whine about Top. There's the entire problem with Miracles in a nutshell.

The actual problem is Terminus but don't try telling that to them!

Pfft, speak for yourself. Not only am I bucking the trend as a non-slow Miracles player, I'm also cracking down on Slow Play locally as a judge and encouraging others to do the same :smug:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

I'm glad Thomas wrote this, the original article was garbage.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Here's a hot take: Scrap Trawler will probably be good in affinity

I'll mainly be happy if I can go mini-wrath > Shardless Agent > whatever in Legacy though

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, I was mainly thinking Ravager shenanigans. Sac off all the 0-mana artifacts, sac off all the 1-mana artifacts, replay all the 0-mana ones. It's probably a bit win more.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I mean, the second Frontier gets sanctioned it ends up the same price as Modern. It's entirely pointless.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Not if you already have all the cards you need

Those folks have already paid for it by not getting out of JVP quick enough :shrug:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

lazerwolf posted:

How would magic look if instead of having eternal formats they had capped formats at time points? Let's say legacy is everything from the beginning to the first modern legal set, modern up to the first proposed frontier legal set and frontier up until now and in several years you cap frontier and start a new one.

Legacy would be dead, Modern would be dying and Frontier would start dying once you capped it off.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sickening posted:

https://twitter.com/samstod/status/808572393346076676

Holy moly there are a lot of people who think standard sucks. Looks like its close to 15-1 on those replies. Most of the opinions I respect are making GBS threads on it.

Spoilers: the format is bad and hasn't been good since Fate Reforged

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mcmagic posted:

It's actually fine. The idea that fetchland standard was better than this standard is silly.

I don't know what you're considering "fetchland standard" but the format with Abzan/Sultai Whip/Jeskai Fireworks or Tokens was absolutely fine.

I'm not advocating for that 4 colour hell post-Battle here. I had to judge PPTQs around then and I'd rather quit judging than go back to that

(on that note, gently caress Frontier ever becoming a real format)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

ThePeavstenator posted:

Junk, Jund, Grixis, basically any black grindy deck will play them in the sideboard. They're becoming more popular too because Death's Shadow has fell in popularity and you don't really want to dedicate many sideboard slots to Engineered Explosives when they only beat 1-Drops.dec and Damnation is much better in pretty much every other creature matchup.

This might change once the Aether Revolt wrath comes about. Getting to lob a goyf or lili onto an empty board is pretty big game.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Tubgoat posted:

If they reprint Damnation, it'll be mythic and/or a RPTQ/Judge promo. :suicide:
It goes in every single EDH deck that plays black, but I need at least one for Olivia Voldaren.

Damnation is already a Judge promo :v:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sickening posted:

Generally I believe that judges loving up isn't really that big because their job sucks and they get so little for doing it. Why expect perfection from someone doing a job for less than minimum wage. A HJ of a GP though is compensated enough for it to be a pretty cushy gig and deserves to be held to a higher standard.

You vastly overestimate the compensation for a HJ compared to the costs of attending the event if you're calling it "cushy".

You're also vastly underestimating just how many other things a HJ is doing at a GP; I absolutely sympathise with Scott not feeling like he had enough time to properly investigate the appeal, but am glad he's just going to find time for it going forward.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

BJPaskoff posted:

Most people also thought that, and I never corrected them.

The previous rule was once per randomisation as a count. If you did it between mulls, there was absolutely no way I was buying you were doing that to count again and you were either getting Slow Play or Cheating if you were dumb enough to lie to me and say it was for a count

gently caress pile "shufflers".

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Once per randomisation as a count. Practically, no judge really bought that you needed to count your deck after every fetch.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

suicidesteve posted:

Why would you get a slow play call for doing something the rules specifically allow you to do? Especially when nobody ever gets then for actual slow play?

Taking actions that don't have an effect on the game is slow play, and we're not likely to buy that your post-fetch count is for legitimate reasons

Sorry rules enforcement in your area sucks, tons of slow play is given out where I live

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sigma-X posted:

That sounded pretty bog standard up until it was asking for TCG player specific design leadership.

Their benefits sound awesome, though. I'm digging halftime fridays, 3 weeks of vacation minimum plus christmas week, paid volunteer time, and they've got a handful of family-centric things too.

On the other hand, they have a shockingly bad Glassdoor profile so are probably a bunch of poo poo to work for :shrug:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Mrenda posted:

I do have this (minus any decent cards my brother snagged, as he played on for longer than me.) Would these be useful for pauper games? Is pauper actually played? Can old cards keep up with modern abilities?

That sure is a picture of a box of cardboard. I'm not quite sure how we're meant to determine whether those cards are pauper-ready from that picture, but the answer is almost certainly "no".

Pauper is played a lot more online than in paper. As a general rule, older spells are better, newer creatures are better.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

80s James Hetfield posted:

I guess we'd have to come to an agreement on what we consider diverse. Again, I'm not making GBS threads on the format

Mate, when it's between the same 2 decks and the same 15 decks, I'm going to go with the latter being "diverse"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It's really not hard to work out if a funny deck name is stream-safe, even if you're being conservative.

Copy Cat: yeah there's literally nothing there go nuts
Cat Lady: ehhhhh there's a chance, nope

I don't see why you can't have Breakfast Burrito *and* not have B/x decks named Thugs and Bugs, but maybe I'm expecting a little much.

• Locked thread