Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
The modern Eldrazi deck (that was the reason for the Eye and Temple spikes, I think?) is on right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You made me look this up.

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/modern-masters-2015/eye-of-ugin

What the gently caress is is garbage? 100 bucks for a set of Eye of Ugins? That's ridiculous.

Yup. Online its a reasonable 5 tix, which is still a 500% increase.

Besides a few cards (IoK, Damnations in the side, Ulamog) the deck is one of the cheapest available online it seems.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Balon posted:

Is there any reason the Modern BW Eldrazi deck runs Damnation as opposed to Wrath of God? From what i can tell the deck runs just as much black-producing lands as white-producing lands.

It runs Urborg. It could probably run Wrath or Day without a ton of punishment, but Damnation is basically always turned on while the white wraths could possibly be blank

edit: the budget option would probably be to run Mutilate or Languish, both of which don't hit Tasigur, Goyf etc on turn 4

Terrible Horse fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 3, 2016

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

Cardboard Crack is basically Garfield. Unoffensive, but painfully dull.

It's offensive just based on how relentlessly unfunny it is.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

It is when it's on your opponent's turn, which is generally where you want to be for a counterspell.

It seems like a protective counterspell. This is like the third "control mirror" card we've seen, did WOTC think control would somehow be dominating?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Sickening posted:

The fact that a website like http://mtgstocks.com/ exists is just embarrassing. I especially like the part where they have a ticker at the top, you know, to give you that stock trader "feel".

Just saw this come along:

Attrition▲$14.86(+200.2%)
Attrition▼$8.99(-18.3%)

First is the Urza's Destiny printing, second is Commander. Is this due to that stupid original art only format?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Nerf Storm is underwhelming. Was pyromancer's Ascension too good?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
In modern, yeah. I mean it would have been nice if they printed playable #spells cast matters cards for standard

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Cant wait for Gatewatch: Civil War

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

That's the Avengers.

It's the same thing

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Hellsau posted:

There's definitely no excuse for not doing a redraw if it's just two cards and not a full four.

It's because WOTC is a Scrooge McDuck company who nickel and dime at every turn, and sales keep going up even when they resort to webcomic-levels of laziness.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Lol Jace contributed to the battle by doing math

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Kilo147 posted:

No, no, no. Emrakul doesn't even need to notice Jace exists. While Chandra is doing her Flame On! poo poo, Nissa is doing her leyline thing, and Gideon is whipping it, Jace does his aspegers math, and realizes that in order for it to work, 2+3 must equal 0 and suffers an aneurysm, killing him. Then everyone else runs, gets Ugin and he flips the remaining Oathkeepers off and jumps to Dominaria.

Basically, I want Jace to die like every math genius on TV does. They math too hard, get a nosebleed, and die.

Since they are probably going the Lovecraft/horror/Cthulu version of Emrakul, Jace could just be driven mad by glimpsing him and we get the school-shooter version of Sarkhan the Mad

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

Pretty please with sprinkles and everything. There is no drat reason for that card to be 30 bucks.

Holy poo poo. The kitchen table mill market is huge.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I think it's difficult to get invested in any of this nonsense.

When I was a kid, the art and the implied lore (there were no "storylines" then) was a huge amount of the appeal. Now its an amusing thing that gets in the way of wizard chess.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

this seems really good

edit: oh I read it wrong again, it only fleshbags if it costs 3B. Still limited amazing

Terrible Horse fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 6, 2016

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

EXCUSE me it's 2CB thank you very much.

What does C mean????

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

mcmagic posted:

How did Mirari's Wake ever get though development?

They used to allow good cards to be printed.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Mtgo looks and feels cheap and is clunky to use sometimes, all of which is forgiven because it lets you draft whenever without interacting with the more abhorrent players. What feels really bad is that they charge the same for modo product as they do for paper. Which I know is our fault because we keep buying them, but charging 4 bucks for a pack of "cards" that cost 0 to produce is gross.

Not sure about Mtgo user numbers going up or down, but for me personally, I easily did 100 drafts of Innistrad alone, and I do like 3 a year now

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
I was wrong about the art in this set, lots of Eldrazi cards are really cool looking, particularly Ruin in Their Wake

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah, that's why I'm asking. The biggest threat it doesn't hit is Batterskull. Not sure if that limitation is worth not giving your opponent 1/5 their starting life back.

Fake Edit: Also, Captain's Claws is going in my Jor Kadeen deck. :getin:

A general rule is that life is a less valuable resource than cards and board presence. Taking out their Batterskull or other threat is almost always going to be worth the life.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

I'm not really arguing that point.

The best comparison for Natural State vs. Nature's Claim would be Inquisition of Kozilek vs. Thoughtseize. They'll both probably see play, but how much of a shift will occur because of it. (Batterskull isn't all that common in Modern for example.)

Yeah I mean, personally I would think the Claim would be better because it catches the cases State doesn't, and 5 life is negligible.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Feels nice to actually have one of these cards experiencing a ridiculous spike

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

stinkles1112 posted:

Shock with an upside is currently in standard.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I like lower power levels in standard. The fewer Siege Rhinos and Mantis Riders around the better. I like games being a little durdley and less swingy, and lower average power level seems to lead to gameplay decisions, deck construction and player skill being bigger determinant factors than just "turn 4 Siege Rhino turn 5 Siege Rhino oops I win".

Overall lower power levels would be fine, but creatures continue to get better and spells keep getting nerfed. Rhino and Mantis Rider would be fine if we still had Bolt/Doom Blade/Mana Leak/Day of Judgement, but instead we have lovely spells that cant handle things efficiently which makes everybody just play their own pushed creatures and smash em into each other.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

born on a buy you posted:

magic sucked when spells were overpowered and creatures sucked. just fyi for everyone that started playing in the last decade

There's plenty of room between Necropotence and Ironroot Treefolk, and 1RRR: deal one damage to target planeswalker.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Failboattootoot posted:

It would be more fun if we had both overpowered creatures AND spells.

Standard with Jace/Leak/Bolt/Day and also the Titans was the best standard.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Saffron Olive's budget goblins, posted 3 days ago as a 5 ticket mtgo deck, is now 17 tickets online. We need some sort of market regulation/oversight/fascism

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Hellsau posted:

This deck is fine, but it's slow and from what I've seen it's just worse than Kuldotha Jeskai. It seems like the only matchup it's actually better at is Familiar, and then it's only if they kept a hand that's weak to Acid on a bounceland. The deck is just so drat slow to start.

I play pauper and I haven't built and played Acid Trip yet, but I've played against it and its a real, but grindy, deck

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Iquisition-owners chat: should we shift this poo poo now, or will it keep going up!?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Konstantin posted:

I don't know why Wizards doesn't push paper pauper. Seriously, sell the top decks as $10 Pauper event decks, and have a Pauper FNM. You can do one for each color, plus artifacts, and get most of the strong archtypes. It's a wonderful way to get into tournament Magic, and people who rightly refuse to pay hundreds for a Standard deck can play something competitive for cheap. Maybe even have a Pauper GP at some point.

because that would not make them outrageous amounts of money?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is this actually a policy change? Have they ever allowed proxies?

I think the difference is they are now trying to muscle in on non-sanctioned events. It'd be like WOTC telling Timmy he isn't allowed to let Johnny take back blocks at the kitchen table.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Whats with games that aren't magic giving all its creatures hundreds of hit points.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

"Trick" posted:

We know players love Magic and love playing its variety of formats, including Vintage and Legacy. Some formats are easier to get into than others and these two are hard.

"Go gently caress yourselves," Trick continued.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I googled "Top 8 vintage deck", took the first one that popped up (happened to be UR Delver), and checked its price. Sixteen thousand dollars.

Listen, some formats are harder to get into than others. Wizards understands that. End of statement.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

MiddleEastBeast posted:

This owns, for how straight out of a movie it is. Literally Evil Corp.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

jassi007 posted:

I'm not super clear how she got from obscurity to recognition, other than being a female who streams magic, is decent at it, and relatively normal.

I think given the pool to choose from, that's plenty.

I watch her stream from time to time, she's entertaining. Last night she was shitfaced running RG tron.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Who makes a good commentator seems to be very hard to predict. Kenji and PV, both great players, got their shot and were underwhelming and don't seem to be invited back anytime soon. Huey surprisingly resulted in a ton of dead air when I was watching, despite LSV and Marshall's best efforts. Randy is terrible but keeps reappearing. Who knows.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

I didn't read anything about a man calling himself trick getting fired. Are we sure this is the right announcement? :confused:

Pretty sweet that a "Global Community Manager" can communicate so badly that his community ignites in near-unanimous disapproval, to the point where his boss needs to step in and do damage control, and he still gets to come to the office the next day. Maybe WOTC isn't such a bad place to work.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Gridlocked posted:

Have we ever discussed opinions on the Limited Resources podcast?

I for one love LSV and Marshall

I've only recently added it to my commute podcast rotation, but its enjoyable if you like those guys. It has some problems (Marshall's 'durr what would you do here lsv?' thing that works great in coverage is not quite what you wanna hear in a podcast, and most of the time one of them is like 'I like this card, because it provides value' and the other is like 'same') but they are two people I like to listen to, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Melissa deTora has a really funny article about why she ruined the Cube for no reason.

I kinda agreed with her idea of nerfing mana rocks but I'm watching Nummy too and monoR is wide open and unbeatable right now.

• Locked thread