Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator
Interestingly, if this does mean can only be cast with colorless mana, it's one of the mechanics from The Great Designer Search 2:

quote:

1) Common Card #1 –
Being from Below
4@
Creature – Horror
5/4
(@ Can only be paid with colorless mana.)

[Mark Rosewater]: Let me start by saying I think the basic structure of your @ mana is solid. It manages to add a pseudo-sixth color in a way that is backward compatible. It's also pretty clean in its execution. I worry though that it isn't fun. We've messed around with this mechanic in the past and as I'll spell out through my notes on the @ cards, it's splashy but it doesn't have great play value.

Other issues I have with it: I don't feel like you gave it any real definition. The cards mostly feel like slightly harder to cast artifacts or colorless spells. Part of the fun of adding a new "color" is making it have some quality that you aren't finding in other colors.

15) Basic Land –
Cavern
Basic Land
(T: Add 1 to your mana pool.)

[Mark Rosewater]: I'm curious why you chose to go the basic land route rather than just having a bunch of common lands that tap for colorless mana. One of the major reasons Barry's Land's never made it to print has to do with its basic land status. The problems don't all just go away with your one rule addition.

This card makes me feel you were drawn to the forbidden design fruit more than you were trying to pick what best serves your set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."

Lottery of Babylon posted:

This sounds like a distinction that could not possibly bother anyone except Maro, so they're probably real and you're probably right.

In fact, the difference between colorless and generic mana does bother Maro.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

I was also skeptical of the fact it was marked "Common" instead of "Land" as well, but now that I think about it we already know that OGW doesn't have a basic land sheet (Maro confirmed OGW Fat Packs have land packs with BFZ full arts).

I kind of wonder if they would either replace the basic land slot in OGW packs with Wastes or have Wastes be one of the lands that comes up in that slot.

If it's just another common in the pack then we may get to see a modern-day recreation of everyone trying to open enough packs to get enough basics for their Karn/Kozilek EDH deck just like in the early days of Magic.

But in actuality they're probably just going to put tons of them in each Intro Pack and people will actually buy them.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

CountFosco posted:

Are there any draft sims up for the new legendary cube yet?

Edit: what does a good green draft deck look like in BFZ draft?

Legendary Cube on CubeTutor

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

Terrible Horse posted:

I just learned from Nummy's stream last night that Pucatrade is planning to implement online <> paper trading. Pretty cool since I barely play paper anymore and have a Bob to offload.

They've been saying it would come out in October for months and that's come and gone, so we'll see how long it takes them. I can't wait for them finish it, I just want to trade my online draft bulk for physical EDH cards.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

Boco_T posted:

Today's Saffron Olive video is either trolling or he's getting to Kevin Crimin levels of not reading the cards or even attempting to pronounce them correctly. Match 2 in the Emeria deck video features "Sky Husser" vs. "Sierra Ascendant."

His Tibalt videos from last week were painful to listen because I cringed every time he said Tibalt. I'm curious where he's from, to see if his unique pronunciations are a regional thing or just coming from someone who doesn't care how they sound.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

There's actually at least a fair degree of disagreement on the proper pronunciation of the Shakespearean character's name. It's an archaic variant on Theobald, which itself is somewhat archaic.

That's fair, I've just never heard it pronounced that way before, especially at an actual play.

Angry Grimace posted:

They're not going to comment on leaks, but Maro's been dancing around it on his blog quite a bit which implies they're real. The most recent Uncharted Realms ended with Kozilek emerging as well.

Yeah, he's been doing some pretty obvious winking and nudging with things like commenting that he can't comment on unofficial spoilers the day that the leaks came out and hinting that we will get a new type of mana eventually but it won't be a variation of snow mana.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

Ramos posted:

In the realm of absolutely loving weird, my friend showed me this recent post on the competitive magic reddit. I don't know, I'm not sure if it's really notable, it's just odd. I'd have a crack at what the encrypted message is, but I'm currently at work.

It's not an encrypted message, it's their public PGP key that you would use if you wanted to send them an encrypted message or file. I'm assuming this is someone that's super-paranoid about anything on the internet and wants all emails to be encrypted so that Wizards/the NSA can't spy on them and figure out who's behind this secretive speculation scheme.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

Why isn't it possible to buy Expeditions on MTGO? Mtgowikiprice.com shows buyers but no sellers for the one's I've looked at. They seem to be buying Zen fetches for less than the original versions.

Edit: nm, MTGGoldfish lists them.

mtgowikiprice.com has different listings for nonfoil and foil cards, and the only expeditions in existence are foils. At the top of the page by the card name there's a link that says "View Foil" to show you the foil card listings.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

I find it funny that "Hearthstone" is censored on the Magic stream now.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

Design can probably be blamed for a lot that's wrong with this block, but at least Maro wanted to do the colorless symbol in BFZ but got voted down.

quote:

Why was the colorless mana symbol added in OGW and not BFZ?

That was a subject of huge debate. I was on the BFZ side but my side did not win out. The winning argument said that introducing before it was mechanically relevant would confuse even more players than having them mix in limited. It also made the splash when it was supposed to be the focus.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

It might be fun to show this to someone and ask how many corpses are in the art and see how many people answer correctly.

In fact maybe if Wizards had done that as part of their focus testing they might have realized how terrible the frames are.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

stinkles1112 posted:

Wait so do we know for sure now that we're not getting enemy tangolands? Wouldn't non-cycle expeditions be the exact situation that would suggest we are?

They could very easily do 10 filters, 5 oathlands, and 5 others.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Can't blame him. gently caress pile shuffling, it takes forever for you to finish and the only time I could ever recommend it is if you need to make sure you're running the correct amount of cards and you know, not cheating.

I (stupidly) decided to read Twitch chat during the World Magic Cup, and there were a ton of people supporting pile shuffling with lovely arguments like "You should use multiple methods of shuffling anyway" and "It's pseudo-randomization but there's no such thing as complete randomization anyway".

They just couldn't get it through their heads that pile shuffling isn't random at all. I blame the fact that it has the word "shuffling" in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

Lets Pickle posted:

Who do you think will be the next member of the justice league? I'm guessing Liliana, they need a black protagonist, but there is no way they are reprinting Liliana of the Veil (mostly because she doesn't have the Chain Veil anymore, but also they have never reprinted a planeswalker in a story set.)

I'm going to bet that when they finally unveil the Legion of Doom that Liliana will reluctantly join because she's "evil". Then at a critical turning point where the good guys are about to lose she will decide she's "not that evil" and save them. But she's not a nerd so she won't join the Justice League and will just keep secretly fawning over grognard-stand-in Jace and so she can act as Lone-Wolf-turned-Deus-Ex-Machina when Creative writes themselves into a corner.

• Locked thread