Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Bugsy posted:

Weren't some of legends for Dragons Maze leaked super early?

And

really looks like what is going on on the bottom of Skitterskin.

I was sure it was fake because if they were going to make something completely game changing like new mana symbols, they would have put it in the large fall set, not just the small spring set. But the thing Skitterskin is standing on does look like the weird Bismuth thing that the Wastes is portraying, so I don't even know what's going on.

Bismuth is sweet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Dude just beat Owen Turtenwald with a Hatebears homebrew. Awesome.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Alright, Saffron Olive is my new favorite Magic content creator.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

JerryLee posted:

I hope they eventually print a 'fixed' version of SFM without the cheatyface active. Heliod's Pilgrim, basically.

We got Relic Seeker, which was this but worse.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

If Stoneforge was a demonic tutor for batterskull that also made your opponent discard a removal spell, it would still be really really good.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Even if they don't unban Stoneforge, I hope they unban something in Modern.

Dread Return or Sword of the Meek are probably fine.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Alaan posted:

Ross has had horrific luck on stream recently. All 3 of his losses this tourney have been on camera.

Last weekend he got destroyed in the first round at the SCG open. Dude's been on a pretty bad streak.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Ensnaring Bridge won't be banned until 1/2 of the top 8 pro tour decks play it.

Hey new Uncharted Realms where Kozilek wrecks a bunch of sea creatures just to be a dick.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/rise-kozilek-2015-12-09

and new art

I like the islands just floating away like balloons.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Dungeon Ecology posted:

With special guest, Lorthos! :krakentoot:

:rip: Lorthos

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

The way Kozilek is described is super cool, it really sells his presence as incomprehensible and other-worldly.

quote:

The world seemed to bend around him, as though he were its center. Those perfect black shards above his head seemed to draw in light itself. She couldn't understand the shape of them, or whether they were even solid. Where they overlapped, they seemed to merge together. They weren't objects, or even shapes—they were holes in space

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

You're never going to have enough mana to Rally and active guide in the same turn.

I think there's 10 lands in the deck that aren't fetch lands, so yeah, that probably won't happen. If you really wanted something to be unblockable though, Rogue's Passage is cheaper than Coralhelm Guide.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Boco_T posted:

I love him but today in his cube video he kept drawing and playing "Kozileak" and driving me insane once again

Everyone should check those videos out. Some of those games were some of the best holiday cube matches I've ever seen, the second round in particular is ridiculous.

It also cements that Upheaval is one of the craziest cards ever.

edit: Link http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/rough-drafts-vintage-holiday-cube-1

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 24, 2015

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I like that the art mirrors the original Oran Rief

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 29, 2015

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

the Orb of Zot posted:

I'm sorry, but Unscythe, Killer of Kings is the exact sort of stupid name that's good.

You just have to realize that everything on Grixis sounds like power metal bands or albums, and it becomes way more forgivable. Thraximundar would be a fantastic 80's power metal name. Who wouldn't listen to "Killer of Kings" by the band Unscythe? "Cruel Ultimatum" by Prince of Thralls?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

The flavor text in this set is so goofy

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

I really hope black gets something in the Oath space.

I hope it's just Ob swearing to kill every living being in the multiverse. Have him doing the goofy little hand sign and everything.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You basically get paths, lingering souls and some good sideboard cards.

Also Rest in Peace, which is a great Processor enabler.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Today I learned Mana Drain isn't on the reserved list.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

I just realized yesterday I had sold an Eye of Ugin for 3 bucks during the summer and completely forgot about it.

I traded one on Pucatrade last summer for 250 points, but it got lost in the mail so I didn't even get the points. Just throwing away $30.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Entropic posted:

It's a slippery slope, they're gonna ban unofficial tokens next.

I would be fine with this if it means I don't have to look at ugly SCG player tokens during coverage.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

whydirt posted:

Is this a real card?
Is it just a proxy?
Trampled by rhinos
No escape from WotC
Open your sleeves
Read Blogatog and see
I'm not a newbie, I need no sympathy
Because now it's scry mulligans and NWO
Always high, never low
#mtgfinance doesn't really matter to me
To me

Can we make this the thread title?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Entropic posted:

I liked Origins for being the most straight-forward draft set in recent memory. It got a lot of people at my LGS into drafting because they were able to feel like they were actually figuring out the format and learning how to properly make picks that mattered. And then they got dropped in the deep end with BFZ...

I would think that Origins would be a pretty bad beginning set just because it's full of traps and is very punishing if don't draft it correctly. They had all of these neat themes like B/G Elves, R/U Artifacts, etc and all of them are terrible. You want to build a cool U/B self mill graveyard zombie reanimation deck? You will lose to white and red two drops. It's sort of like Gatecrash in that it's a format ruled by 2 drops. You must play something on turn two, and if you don't, you fall so far behind. I thought it was the worst format since Avacyn.

Learning from Origins and then going straight to something like Zendikar would be pretty confusing, where aggro is fairly weak and you absolutely must have a synergistic deck to win.

I think Theros was the best beginners set in recent history because even though it introduced new mechanics, they were all straight forward and all of the synergies and ideas were clear and decently powerful.

Yawgmoth posted:

Nothing will ever top going p1p1 Thoughtseize, p1p2 Cryptic Command for me.

In Theros, I had P1P1 Thoughtseize, P1P2 Hero's Downfall, P1P3 and P4 Grey Merchants. That was a silly draft.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Matt Sperling started an ethics column on CFB which appears to have no reason to exist other than as a soapbox to excuse Bob Huang's Borboygmos bullshit. It only gets more comical when Bob Huang himself shows up in the comments to say "meh, that was a lovely thing to do I shouldn't have done it."

I love that Bob seems genuinely regretful, and Matt replies that he's only protecting his reputation, like "Aw Gotcha, Bob ;) we all knock you're a piece of poo poo".

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

There's a lot of lingering plot threads anyways that they can pick up wherever they want - Bolas is still a dick, Eugene's still an unknown quantity, Ob Nixilis has apparently made it his life's mission to be a Superdick to the Gatewatch, and the Phyrexians are still assholes (and can show up on a million planes due to LOLKarn, who himself isn't apparently doing anything helpful)

I really want a Legion of Doom made up of Elesh Norn, Nicol Bolas, Emrakul, Ob Nixilis, and Heliod, that exist solely to scheme about destroying the Superfriends Gatewatch.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Niton posted:

Frank Lepore appears to have done it? I really hope so, dude owns.

I'll join in the Frank excitement. Him and LSV are probably my favorite magic personalities, so this is the first top 8 I actually am sort of interested in. Plus it's the dude's first ever pro tour, he's not part of any team, and did minimal testing.

Also 6/8 decks being Eldrazi means something in that deck is eating a ban before the year is over.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

What is going on? Speculation on a modern madness deck with Innistrad coming?

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Planar+Chaos/Big+Game+Hunter#paper

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

I'm gonna build a Control deck with Thing in the Ice as a wincon.

Right after Vryn's Prodigy rotates.

I'm already trying to scheme up some sort of U/R madness control deck with Jace, Chandra, Thing in the Ice, Lightning Axe, Fiery Temper, and Pieces of the Puzzle

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

The symbol on his knife looks similar to the clue token, which people are saying looks a lot like Emrakul. Do we get a cool Emrakul doomsday cult?

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 11, 2016

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Nothing says Eternal Masters like Mage Ring Bully

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Entropic posted:

I had my bingo card ready and everything.

I was going to say there's no "Randy Beuller gives bad advice/doesn't understand how cards work" but Row 5, Column 4 is basically the Beuller box.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I guess it has collectors value as a bad card?

There are some cards like Wood Elemental or One With Nothing that have value entirely on the fact that they're legendarily horrible.

Protip: Buy your Razor Boomerangs before they're $20

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Did someone say "janky red mythic"?

This card is pretty good actually. Turn any card in your hand into a removal spell, clear a blocker out of the way, discard fiery temper to do 6 to something while attacking with a 5/5 seems super solid.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm jace's new overcoat whose colors clash with the blue hoodie.

I really want a "Jace's Dumb Overcoat" equipment.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

If you control a nonbasic land, am equipment, a legendary creature, and five clue tokens, you win the game

I just want a clue tokens Maze's End. At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control 20 or more clue tokens, you win the game.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Can't wait for Saffron Olive to try to pronounce that when he inevitably does an Against the Odds on it.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Man, Christopher Guest is pissed.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Tail Slash and Fall of the Hammer were both pretty high picks, and green having generally beefier creatures than red means this is probably pretty good in limited.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

sarmhan posted:

Prey upon was very good in Innistrad yes. This is probably even better. Fall of the Hammer and Tail slash were first-pick quality in their formats, and again this is in the better color that otherwise gets no removal. This is easily the best green common so far, and likely the best period.

I don't think we've seen any common removal spells so far that are this good, except maybe fiery temper. This will be a high pick in draft.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Man, Goldknight Castigator is one of the biggest trap cards in a while, especially in a limited format with white and blue enchantment removal, and a common that gives double strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Rimusutera posted:

New Phyrexia is leagues above anything they'd done since Old Phyrexia, besides maybe Ravinca.

I think Maro said a new world is up next though, but I forget what was hinted at.

I remember hearing rumors of a Norse plane, can't remember where they were from though.

• Locked thread