Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
My big question is, how cryptic is reality itself?

Like, that has to be established in order for us to know what we're dealing with here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Time Warp, Vindicate, and Opportunity aren't "colorless" either but it turns out that when you massively overpay for them, any effect is colorless. Fake Kozilek's ability might not cost mana to activate but it sure as hell costs enough mana to set up that at that point you ought to be entitled to Disrupting Shoal poo poo without an additional mana cost.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Anyway, the real reason it's fake is because I have it on good authority that Kozilek's actual rules text will be "im gay." Don't worry, there will be a comp rules update to define what "im gay" means in the context of Magic: the Gathering.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

♦ may be a new symbol that means "colorless."

So, older lands might get errata'd to have "T: ♦"

Thran Dynamo: Tap to add ♦♦♦ to your mana pool.

Actually, that's one of the better counterarguments I can think of for this being introduced now. Having the basic land only in small set is one thing, but it would seem really weird for the nomenclature about adding colorless to change in mid-block. If this is a new thing being introduced by the Eldrazi, then why do, like, the Blighted lands not produce ♦?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Not gonna lie, even though these cards are probably fake, the artwork is going to be awesome whatever cards it ends up being on

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Gridlocked posted:

Magic: The Gathering: Pure Fuckin' Diamonds

Magic: The Gathering: Look Again, The Mana Is Now Diamonds

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Chamale posted:

Mirrodin Block

What about Trinket Mage? Having two extra copies of your Skullclamp seems ridiculous to me, and in pseudo-limited I don't think that throwing off the curve is that big of a deal. It can also get a few decent second choices if you draw the Skullclamp.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Same. I still really enjoy following and thinking about Magic, but I've moved past the point where trying to keep up with the Joneses is feasible or healthy for me, to the extent that it ever was. Trying to grind GPs or Opens seems like purgatory to me, but more power for anyone for whom it works.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

The sort of person who gets mad enough about a GP being full to :qqsay: about it on social media is probably exactly the sort of whale whose business Wizards, dealers, and TOs never, ever have to worry about losing. They could vote with their dollars but I bet they'll be right back at the next event, doing value trades and scarfing down overpriced nachos between rounds... if not at this one hitting the side events.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Recess Rapist posted:

Before the full spoilers I called my LGS to preorder the full set of five, but they weren't sure how much stock they were getting, so I had to wait.
Then I saw the full spoiler and I couldn't summon any interest at all in buying even a single one of those decks.

I feel like I saved $150. Is this what it's like when you don't buy cards? It feels good. Does anyone read this thread who spends no money on Magic? How good does it feel?

As Ben Franklin once said, "A Standard season unplayed is a thousand bucks earned."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

You can't just put random people on camera

Why not? I mean certainly it would be less interesting to most of the audience but surely it's better than dead air?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Because they like to present big tournaments as high-level events, not people forgetting how to sequence the Splinter Twin combo.

It's a Grand Prix, not a pro tour. Yeah, it's "high level" but everyone knows there's a ton of randoms there.

I mean, I see what you're saying and this is something we can reasonably disagree on, but I'm just not buying that having randoms on camera would irreparably damage the brand or something.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Gridlocked posted:

Please Ban Modern

personally, I am against formats

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

black potus posted:

instead of saying "i plow your mom" i'm going to start saying "your mom takes up farming" and winking suggestively

I'm going to say "You can return your mom to your deck after your game" whilst waggling my eyebrows.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

if I know that my opponent's RL mother has died I'm going to be extra smug as I remind them that they cannot raise their mom from the dead

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Ramos posted:

He's also not at all white or blue and basically took up a spot where a far cooler commander could have been.

I guess if you want to get very broad about it, attacking restrictions/caveats in general have shown up in blue and white?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

The thread title made me think about Reparations because I don't remember what it did.

Then I noticed that the oracle text does something different than what I remembered:

vs. the oracle text which is:

"Whenever an opponent casts a spell that targets you or a creature you control, you may draw a card."

I assume that the idea was that you only get the card if the spell resolves, but it seems like they don't actually have any kind of template that addresses a spell resolving, so the oracle text doesn't care if the spell resolves.

It's because it used to only happen if the spell wasn't countered, which in turn was because counters were interrupts which I believe happened in a weird window immediately after the spell was cast, before anything else you could do to respond to it.

From a modern perspective, the old "successfully cast" is closer to the modern "cast" than the modern "resolves."

See also poo poo like Enchantress effects.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Ramos posted:

Elyv is right. The reason they changed successfully cast later was because its wording was confusing. Players found it much easier to understand something being cast but not necessarily resolve vs something being successfully cast but not necessarily resolving.

And really, talk about unnecessary baggage in the wording of stuff.

Ahh well, I must have been misinformed myself then. I always understood successfully cast as happening after the opponent got the opportunity to "interrupt" it, but before anything else you could do to respond (and maybe interfere with the casting in other ways, like unsummoning a targeted creature). This explanation made sense to me because it would be literally meaningless to say "successfully" cast unless there was a chance for it to be unsuccessful.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

A lot of these really weird, long-winded explanations are obviously because they're trying to answer some of the questions players might have. Do you have to kill all the tokens individually after your Shatter destroys The Hive? Fear not, the card tells you!

Nowadays they do some of that stuff in reminder text, so that it doesn't look as weird to our modern eyes, but often they simply leave it off, as with the aforementioned Hive or with Clone effects. Which I'm sure has led to a nonzero amount of players wondering, in all earnestness, what their Clone does when the creature it was copying dies.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Madmarker posted:

These puns are so bad and devoid of humor, I need to give you all a murderous cut. I don't anticipate any problems with doing this, but even the best of plans can go horribly awry. It will take me a while to process what what to do here, but the painful truths of the matter are I have to completely disregard my morality and scour from existence any trace of your puns. So I ask forgiveness for my unnatural aggression and hope none of you turn against me but these puns are a vile aggregate of all things wrong with the forums. So in order to arrest this issue and avoid the grip of desolation caused by bad humour and carry my plan to the utter end I will terminate you all.

I hope this doesn't result in my brutal expulsion.

Just make reparations to the thread and it will be all right

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

After watching my umpteenth pro cube draft video, I've come to realize that the cube gimmick I really want is a cube without blue in it.

Or at least one where the blue theme somehow avoids card draw and/or counterspells completely.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Honestly not sure what you mean by submitting this for "approval" as a response to my post, unless I need to clarify that I include multicolor blue cards in my statement. You've still got plenty of card drawing/cantripping durdling there of the sort that every pro seems to love to rub all over their genitals. It looks like a pretty fun cube in its own right, though!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Just get rid of the stuff that literally does not work and the 0-cost mana accelerators and it'd be a pretty plain old set. A bunch of overcosted creatures, weird spells, and things Blue should not really have.

Sounds like a pretty typical multiplayer product

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I'd forgotten that the Innistrad DFCs (that is, those that flip into creatures) have that ugly little thing that reminds you what the P/T of the flip side is.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

little munchkin posted:

The storm players weren't just trying to cheat, it gets the cards out of their hands to enable Infernal Tutor.

As far as I know it's not "cheating" even if it works; it's not as though casting the spell into Chalice is an illegal act. Not going to say it isn't a dick move though.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I've always said that what Magic was really missing was Jace and the gang combining their powers into an attack montage, magical girl style. :anime:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Missed opportunity to have Doran strung with lights, smh

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

It's almost as though thinking in terms of the flavor of 'what does a vampire do' or 'what does a [light] priest do' gives rise to cooler outcomes than a hidebound allegiance to the color pie, even if said outcome still falls within the color pie slices in 90% of cases.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Bread Set Jettison posted:

We're going back to innistrad

quote:

If I had to guess, with SoI, we'll see DFCs of some sort, but probably not any direct mechanic crossovers

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I actually wonder if we might not see madness. It's about its time, it fits with the speculation of tending towards a more lovecraftian sort of Gothic horror, and it's sort of like the inverse of Miracles but less toxic (which is why I thought of it).

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

You mean if you take the entire comp rules description of an ability, it might be too long to serve as reminder text? :monocle:

quote:

702.102a Bestow represents two static abilities, one that functions while the card with bestow is on the stack and another that functions both while it’s on the stack and while it’s on the battlefield. “Bestow [cost]” means “You may cast this card by paying [cost] rather than its mana cost.” and “If you chose to pay this spell’s bestow cost, it becomes an Aura enchantment and gains enchant creature. These effects last until one of two things happens: this spell has an illegal target as it resolves or the permanent this spell becomes, becomes unattached.”

quote:

702.94a Soulbond is a keyword that represents two triggered abilities. “Soulbond” means “When this creature enters the battlefield, if you control both this creature and another creature and both are unpaired, you may pair this creature with another unpaired creature you control for as long as both remain creatures on the battlefield under your control” and “Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, if you control both that creature and this one and both are unpaired, you may pair that creature with this creature for as long as both remain creatures on the battlefield under your control.”

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

The best thing about Grizzled Outcasts is that it has more racial diversity on one card art than on the entire rest of Innistrad (Snapcaster is the only other card I can think of with a nonwhite-looking human).

Ultima66 posted:

Also WotC was extremely hesitant about Transform at first as it was being designed until it was decided new players understood the idea of "person turns into a monster" well enough that it wasn't an issue.

I would think that players could also understand "I cast a spell INTO THE FUTURE" well enough but evidently not.

Ironically it might have been more understandable if they could have just used a Legends-esque wording like "You may cast ~ for its suspend cost, but it takes four extra turns to resolve. Use counters." but due to the modern need for rules clarity, they have to specify what acts you take, when you remove the counters, etc.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 2, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

Reading cards is cool and fun, but if you have to stop to parse every single card in the pack, it becomes not fun. It's about balance.

Thing is, you ought to only have to fully parse Suspend once. That's the upside of a keyword, in theory.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

Yeah, that's fine. There's nothing inherently wrong with suspend. It could be a little bit simpler, but that's not the main issue. The real issue was to do with TSP as a whole, a problem to which mechanics like suspend contributed.

Dr. Stab posted:

Yeah, that's fine. There's nothing inherently wrong with suspend. It could be a little bit simpler, but that's not the main issue. The real issue was to do with TSP as a whole, a problem to which mechanics like suspend contributed.

Fair enough, I got confused and thought we were still focusing on suspend!

Re: Ichor Slick. I guess I don't see it as a problem that the card has several different options, any more than something like a Charm is a problem (I guess Charms usually aren't common but let's be real; if charms are a problem, it's a problem that's going to come up for a casual player trying to buy packs during RTR block or KTK).

Yeah, you might not see the synergy between Madness and Cycling, but that's not a problem either because the game doesn't try to divide by zero if the new player just plays it exactly like they would if it were Expunge. Someday, they'll notice the synergy (or have it pointed out to them) and they'll feel really cool, but it doesn't have to happen on the day they fan out their first booster pack.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I have generally found that the rules for games, especially reasonably complex games, seem unintuitive until I have learned them, at which point they become intuitive. Well, peace out.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

New players still expect the cards to do something. If they know that a card does a thing, but not why it does a thing, that's not fun. You need to understand basically everything ichor slick does in order to make sense of it. No player is content to read a card and think "oh it has a random mishmash of disparate abilities, that's cool." They want to give it a purpose. Look at a maro favorite in rescue from the underworld. That's a card that does a bunch of things and has a bunch of words on it, but you can read it and think "oh it gets me my guy back in a flavourful way" and then you're done thinking about it, but there's still lots more to discover about the card beyond that.

Why does any card have cycling or madness?

Why is it a failure state for a new player to play Ichor Slick as though it only had cycling or madness, or even just as a "vanilla" removal spell, until one day when they have an epiphany about the interaction?

Anecdote: When I was learning to play Magic eons and eons ago, there was a Slippery Karst in the deck I was using to learn to play. It took me so long (relatively speaking) to figure out that I ought to cycle it if I already had more than enough land. It still tapped for mana just fine in the meantime.

Yes, it's really dumb to play a CIPT land with no plan to take advantage of its other benefits, but that just makes past me even more naive, and thus hopefully an even better case study.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Lottery of Babylon posted:

for the record the source is every post ever made about zackary "at least I'm not a pedophile" jessie

I think you missed my post where I just said "im gay" over and over

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I hope they eventually print a 'fixed' version of SFM without the cheatyface active. Heliod's Pilgrim, basically.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

Ok but again, why is a 1 mana 4/5 or 5/5 that comes down on turn 2 ok but a 4/4 vigilance lifelink that comes down turn 3 assuming your opponent doesn't interact with you in any way not? Like what deck can't beat a Batterskull? The only ones I can think of that would suffer from this are Zoo and Burn, and that's definitely a good thing in my book.

It's also not counterable and they can tutor it up as part of a toolbox of equipment.

I think that just as Stoneforge with only the ETB wouldn't be broken, Stoneforge with only the active wouldn't be broken (it would also be a lot less good than the tutor version, I bet, but that's beside the point). It's the combination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

"Rack" at least has some sort of explanation as slang for breasts, even if you'd have to be a hilarious parody of a puritan to think about adding it to a word filter on that basis. I literally cannot think of what the explanation for "chief" could be.

• Locked thread