Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Elyv posted:

Extended, Standard, and Vintage were all formats, it's just that they were all affected.

Development!=Design

Extended didn't matter outside of ptq season and vintage has never been a real format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of CML
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own poo poo.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
the new lands are pretty sweet imo

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
http://imgur.com/gallery/KAx5C

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Assuming the MTGS wiki is correct, she lived for a few centuries protecting the plane, then stuck herself in a hedron, then woke up when vampires screwed up the hedron network, then left Zendikar to find out why Sorin and Ugin didn't back her up (depending on the timeline, Ugin was dead at the time). That was all thousands of years ago and we haven't seen Nahiri since. There seems to be an assumption that, at some point during those years, Nahiri found Sorin and they had a huge falling-out that has led to her current attack on Innistrad.

Other things that might have happened during her search:
- She found Phyrexia
- She found Rath (does Rath still exist? It had Kor on it...)
- She is now Nahiri, Agent of Bolas

Rath does not exist as it merged with dominaria during the invasion

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
the lands probably aren't flip lands

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
the new lands are good.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
i bet we get new tribalish lands like lorawyn. enter tapped unless you reveal vampire/human/werewolf/spirit/something

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
eh let's make it land types. doubt htey push tribal unless tribal really is a big part of the block

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Angry Grimace posted:

If I had to guess, the BFZ duals are just bad.

they're pretty good if the new lands are untapped based off revealing a land of X type like i speculated

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
fetches will not be in standard again for a very long time.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Ken Naggle is unironically a cool guy to hang around

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
He makes a mean gazpacho

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Lets Pickle posted:

Um there are 17 letters in the name?

Letters not characters.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
it is 100% emrakul

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
urza and yawgmoth are dead dead.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Telex posted:

you know approximately zero people are going to treat you seriously if you're using gay and retarded as pejoratives right?

This is the sort of thing a gay retard would say though...

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
there is a 0% chance LOTV is ever printed in a standard legal set again

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They almost put it in M15, they probably want to reprint it at some point.

Creative did. Development shut it down immediately.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Anyone who doesn't value their free time at >$100/hr is a peasant scrub, so

unironically this.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
people hate jace because he's consistently good and consistently good w/ degenerate decks that make standard unfun

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

mandatory lesbian posted:

it was only mentioned in one of the stories

i'll be more impressed when they have a trans planeswalker (they will never do this)

they will soon.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
i opened roughly 2 cases of product from bfz/ogw across drafts/sealed/etc and never saw a single expedition.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
ken nagle is a cool guy and fun to hang out with

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

NofrikinfuN posted:

If Emrakul is the mysterious corruption then I lose all interest in Innistrad. Zendikar was better pre-Eldrazi just like Mirrodin was better pre-Phyrexians. Having lesser villains and more infighting makes for a more interesting block in my opinion.

Of course, I only think that because I can't afford the inevitable Mythic win buttons. :negative:

They need some more new planes in the rotation anyway. When will they visit Shandalar or Muraganda?

your av sucks and you're wrong about everything. shocking.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

NofrikinfuN posted:

I'll give you interesting, but being on the receiving end of things like infect, annihilator, Elesh Norn and Emrakul as a casual budget player kind of soured me on them. I'm the guy that tried to make Battle Cry work without being able to afford Hero of Bladehold. I'm sure they did great things for competitive play, but they were totally not my bag.

the quality of sets isn't determined by your poverty

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Sigma-X posted:

I no read good

Who was doing this that wasn't running Nether Spirit instead?

GoMar

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Jitte is 100% unbannable in modern and saying otherwise makes it clear you've never played with the card outside of cube.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
prerelease numbers vs. fnm/etc for the area for one. phoenix has a decent number of kitchentable players that will show up for preres but play nothing else

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
itt goons struggle to understand basic marketing concepts and long term financial benefit of them

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Don't see you: wotc using pro players to create interest in their product and create something new customers can aspire too is exactly the same as a farm paying for my failed restaurant

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
The sad part is the pro tour /pro player club is entirely in OPs hands and marketing has no control over it because wotc's internal organization is so bad

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Errant Gin Monks posted:

OH hey jackass late to the party. Read the thread.

At no point did anything you said get any less dumb. You made it very clear you have no understanding of marketing at even a basic level

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I have a decent understanding of marketing, actually. Not a professional marketing level one but a good enough one to understand that the argument that pros deserve a living wage from Wizards to play a game has nothing to do with marketing.

If you wish to say it would be a good marketing move for Wizards to pay pros as brand ambassadors that can be argued, even though clearly Wizards doesn't think so.

But to say they should be paid by the parent company because they are good at Magic: the Gathering card game is not, in any way, a marketing argument.

Pro players earning "livable" money (not really but let's assume this is true) creates a goal people can aspire to. That goal drives those players to buy more and play more. It also creates this possibility, however distant, for new players to go for. Beyond this Having recognizable figures people attach to your brand carries your brand wherever those people go. When efro/williams were getting into poker their pro magic playing status was mentioned. This is free advertisement and gives you exposure in places you wouldn't otherwise.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
11k * 30 is ultimately an irrelevant number to wotc per year. Having a pro tour, pro players and a hall of fame as a goal to be aspired to creates far more long term value than the short term costs.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Yes and you have a different set of marketing to target those players. Which the do have. You see it every time your in your lgs. Competitive people in any hobby will exist and are generally an engaged audience willing to spend. So giving those people a reason to stick around is good. They're going to be competitive somewhere. If you don't make it your brand it will be somebody else and it's an all or nothing customer base.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Marketing isn't one size fits all and you have to have multiple campaigns operating at different levels :monocle:

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Wotc employees can and do play in tournaments as long as the prize is less than $200. You're also missing that paying as pros != employee

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Having bad guys means you have a good guy to cheer for against them. There is a reason comic books have villains. Games need them beyond the storyline villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
wotc has the sisue that individual employees are given a lot of free reign and there is basically no accountability. if you've been there long enough you're never getting fired

• Locked thread