Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I mentioned using petition in legacy storm when it first came out and I got shot down, so I'm glad too. It's a 2 mana tutor that doesn't require an empty hand when you're trying to go off.

It's also way worse against soft counters, which isn't usually a weakness of storm. That said there isn't very much in the way of soft counters in vintage so it's especially obnoxious there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Does it just play out like a Modern Sneak & Show, AKA "ramp into spell that cheats a huge fuckoff creature into play"? Seems like it might be a little more difficult than that since you can't run any cheap ramp for fear of hitting it with Cascade.

Spirit Guides plus Gemstone Caverns presumably.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Stoneforge Mystic is a pretty random choice for a promo to begin with. Snapcaster Mage as the GP promo makes like 10 times more sense than Stoneforge Mystic.

Next will be bad art Dark Confidant followed by bad art Goyf and finally bad art Abbot of Keral Keep.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Please let this mean what I hope it means in January

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm really doubtful that ole Misty Stone will be set loose on modern.

Legacy pro tour obv.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm more afraid of SFM pulling a Jitte than batterskull in legacy.

The only decks I get Batterskull against are BUG. Every other deck I either get Jitte or SoFI.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

black potus posted:

3) a humorous forums punishment of the threads choosing

if you agree to this bet post and dear thread please provide us with stakes

I still think the loser should have their name changed to Painful Truths and have their picture changed to its art.

Angry Grimace posted:

There's two particular reasons why SFM isn't getting unbanned 1) SFM pretty much obliterates the entire design space for equipment being good ever again, 2) You have to simultaneously ban a non-problematic card.

Why? This is a format where for some reason a turn 2, 1 mana 4/5 Azure Mage is just fine. Given that, I don't see why a turn 3, 4 mana over 2 turns, 4/4 vigilance, lifelink creature that dies to Bolt, Clique, Thoughtseize, Duress, and artifact hate is really that big of a deal?

And it looks like they've already given up on printing halfway decent equipment. I don't think anything has been even close to playable since Sword of Feast and Famine. What's the best one we've gotten since then? Godsend? The one that gives +1/+1 fof each color the creature is?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

It doesn't die to Bolt...

Stoneforge dies to Bolt. And I don't think anyone is going to make the claim that 1W: put a Batterskull into your hand is particularly broken.

Procrastinator posted:

mcmagic is not allowed to put ellipses in his posts in this thread anymore.

This. gangsines has to use proper punctuation and mcmagic cant use his ellipses any more.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

1W: "Your opponent reveals a Bolt from their hand or loses the game" is pretty broken...

Angry Grimace posted:

It's not "1W: put a Batterskull into your hand" broken its the combination of "1W: put a Batterskull into your hand" and "1W: put a Batterskull onto the battlefield"

Ok but again, why is a 1 mana 4/5 or 5/5 that comes down on turn 2 ok but a 4/4 vigilance lifelink that comes down turn 3 assuming your opponent doesn't interact with you in any way not? Like what deck can't beat a Batterskull? The only ones I can think of that would suffer from this are Zoo and Burn, and that's definitely a good thing in my book.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

3/8 is Rishadan Port).

What?! When was this announced?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

Wasn't it a judge promo leak?

I vaguely remember something about I think Shardless Agent but this is the first I remember hearing about the Port.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Cernunnos posted:

In response to the Living Weapon trigger, cast Kolaghan's Command. Destroy Batterskull, Shock Stoneforge. Germ Token dies on ETB.

Uh, or let the living weapon resolve and do the same thing. Unless they have 3 mana up, then it's maybe not a great plan.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ramos posted:

What deck wants Sapphire Charm in its sideboard again?

Mono-blue Delver.

It's... not a good deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

CoK was my favorite set and I couldn't share this sentiment on mtgo.

KKK draft was the best.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Neither Reid Duke nor LSV even said
"hi" to me at eternal weekend and Randy Buehler didn't pick me for a feature match (I'm assuming he was in charge of that.) Buncha jerks.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Exactly. They'll ban the fun cards. Delve was fine.

I, too, enjoyed having zero playable blue decks in legacy.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Hope they print a Mishra's Wasteshop, that taps for ♦♦♦ and can only be spent to cast colourless spells.

I hope so. I'm so tired of Ancient Tomb.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

since "gently caress you wedges!" is kinda hard to do

Non-basic hate does it just fine but Wizards doesn't like people interacting with each other outside of combat so here we are.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Nonbasic hate any more aggressive than Tec Edge is also contrary to BFZ's own mechanics, but sure.

Tec Edge would be fine when so many decks are running infinite fetches and like one of each Bofa.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

I like how the article on the Holiday Cube (renamed Vintage Cube) just says "lol blue is the best color deal with it" to the point they cut cards from all the other colors to just add more blue cards.

You mean they're making the only viable archetype in powered cube able to support more people? The monsters.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Dr. Stab posted:

"Players can't respond to this spell by casting spells or activating abilities"

What if it's a permanent? Can you cast spells or activate abilities once it's resolved in play on the battlefield? :goonsay:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

Everyone's excitement seems to be based entirely on the notion that WotC will go full retard on this, and I think that would be the worst thing they can do. I assume that people are excited by them going full retard because Kozilek's implementation is dumb as poo poo.

I'm sure it's the only card with the ♦ in the set.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

JerryLee posted:

This brings up an interesting thought, if they do run with the idea of diamond mana, how long until they print [diamond / one of the colors] "dual lands" because the thought of any tension existing in manabases causes them to poop themselves?

Will they have the basic land type of the associated color?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

Brandon Sanderson is cool and good and also I lost the one time I got to draft against him because Silumgar the Drifting Death is really hard to stop :colbert:.

He was in LSV's chat a few nights ago. He was supposed to be signing books but he pretty much ended up doing an impromptu AMA.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

I hope that there's a reprint of the Exodus Oath cycle in Oath. Oath of Druids in standard :getin:

Only if we also get a Necro reprint.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 10, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Also, aren't you not allowed to put that Khans sign on top of your deck in Professional REL?

I don't think you're allowed to do that at any REL except maybe FNM? You're supposed to use something like a die.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Vital Signs posted:

Speaking as a store employee, events are not to make money. Single and product sales are how you make money. You also have to be diversified. My store does comics, sports, cards, magic, heroclix, boardgames, warhammer, and so on. Magic is by far our best though. Bottom line is that people have to like your store and want to come back, period.

Our LGS has several monthly events which lose them money up until they hit 16 people... at which point they increase the prizes and begin losing money again until they get to 20-something people. Events are for getting people in the store to buy singles and to keep them playing there.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Would the LGS as it currently exists even be possible without the MtG secondary market?

I can't imagine how it would.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

BJPaskoff posted:

The feeling when you know you tapped your mana wrong is the worst. Just staring down at your lands while sweating and hoping your opponent doesn't make the play you would've held up different mana to combat. But they always do. :(

I once had a Deathrite in play against Reanimator, used my Bayou to cast a Thoughtseize then played a Badlands and realized I'd just lost the game. Never made that mistake again!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Voyager I posted:

So the penalty for obvious cheating is that if you get caught the Judge stops you?

Is that not what the penalty is supposed to be? He took back the spell, isn't that good enough?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Voyager I posted:

If the penalty for cheating is just having to take back the spell, then it incentivizes cheating since there is a potentially huge reward for the modest price of revealing the card you were going to cheat with if you get caught.

The only reason not to come down on it super hard is that Magic actually is pretty complicated so having people auto-lose for minor mistakes would be dumb, and it's quite difficult to conclusively prove intent.

Look man just because someone blatantly tried to cheat by untapping a tapped land doesn't mean they should be called a cheater or be punished as if they were one.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Cernunnos posted:

4 different versions in Antiquities at Uncommon. 1 in 4th Edition at Uncommon. 1 in Anthologies. And it was in FTV: Exiled.

Vs. Wasteland's single printing in Tempest at Uncommon and the Judge and Player Rewards versions from a while back (2010 and 2001 respectively).

There's probably a fair amount more Strip Mines out there.

2 Judge Wastelands!

Alaan posted:

So in all this spoiler excitement I missed it. what is Caleb getting for his invitational token?

Stangg.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, Nissa costs 3 and that alone makes her likely to be anywhere from solid as a sideboard card to amazing and a 4 of standard defining card.

I'm inclined to think it's more towards the latter than the former.

Tibalt confirmed to be the best card ever printed.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Molybdenum posted:

Rolling THUNNNNNNNNNNDERRRRRRR

sorta

...Is none of the things he asked about. The closest thing I can think of is like, cycling Slice and Dice.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

All mana in your mana pool is exactly one of W, U, B, R, G, and C. That's why C is basically a sixth color in a way that "mana produced by creatures" is not.

Right, but WUBRG are also C in most situations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fine WUBRG are generic mana which counts for colorless on almost every single card ever printed you bunch of pedants.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

stinkles1112 posted:

How in the whole, entire gently caress is Wild Slash a buck fifty. Shock. Shock is a dollar fifty in this format. That has to be about the perfect encapsulation of the current standard.

This has been A Post by Stinkles thank you for reading

Gotta answer the $60 mythic somehow.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Playing Modern Aristocrats is great except I'm testing online and I have to target Blood Artist triggers every time. I know strictly I can target myself with it, but shouldn't it at least default to target the opponent? I'm sure other spells and effects like that do it.

Zulaport Cutthroat was changed to each opponent, presumably for that reason, as well as commander. And what if you want to trigger your Lich's Mirror or grow your Death's Shadow?

Yes I know you gain life too that was the joke.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

Nissa is really what that B/G sacrifice draft deck wants but it's mythic sooooooooooo

This is what I was thinking. The card seems really bad except in that specific deck. It gives the deck a repeatable source of tokens so you can trigger stuff through Anafenza, which is otherwise a huge pain.

Edit: Plus, her -2 with Hangarback in play seems pretty strong.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Kraus posted:

Corporations aren't people and can't be victimized. Victimization involves an emotional component, which means it has to be experienced by a sentient being, and a corporation is just a legal fiction, not a sentient being.

I take it you're not a US citizen?

bhsman posted:

Re: How everyone views the forum - I just save my SA bookmark to the User Control Panel; it lists all of your bookmarked threads in one spot while also telling you when you have PMs.

Same but the Awful app only has the option to start from the home page so I've known about Han's death for weeks now.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Kozilek shot first.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Hellsau posted:

maybe they're just moving away from us really fast

Post of the year. Also post of next year because let's be honest there aren't going to be any good posts next year anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Well I got a match which TBH is more than I expected. There's a reason I never played Frobots, aside from owning 0 Ravagers. It's probably the best build of Workshops if people are just letting you do your thing but it's absurdly fragile. Like, "oh man there's a Null Rod I can never win now" fragile. Also holy crap LSV's luck is absurd. Dude just has turn 1 Lodestone Golem every game. I think I drew one in all of our games. I kinda wish I'd played better, but it's 2 AM and I never play very well on MTGO to begin with, let alone when I'm pass-out tired.

• Locked thread