Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Well this certainly isn't Play Day One, is it? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Me and the buddies got a single game and it was fun. Now it’s broken trying again.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Do you still have to play with randoms like in the beta? Or can you have a private match that is just you and a buddy with the other slots filled by AI?

You can definitely fill with AI, the two matches I managed with friends we had a single AI fill in. We tried to get a third match but it seemed to really conk out after the second. We gave up after about a full hour.

If you're really desperate leave the matchmaking on and listen to it while you do other things, thats what we did.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

LackinPants! posted:

Beyond that, I miss nothing from Crime.net and the mess the skill system/difficult mess of Payday 2. The game was at it's best from 2013-2015 to me (around the release of the diamond) as once they started going overboard with the skill cards and boringly punishing difficulties, I checked out. I felt later maps didn't balance heist complexity and length as well either, as missions became Destiny raid style guesswork to figure out next steps while the number of cops went from silly to a just bizarre slog even on lower skills.

That said, this feels like a game made in 18 months as a minimum viable product. The prior game did things I liked, such as having a variety of quick hit missions to balance out the longer ones in addition to the never really fulfilled promise of more dynamic multistage heists. Framing Frames, Rats and Election Day had some fun dynamic elements (especially hot election day) to them, but Overkill ultimately seemed to move away from those along with the community.

I do want to believe the game is better balanced for expansion from the jump, however, especially since they seemingly have a tech pipeline now to support new additions. I just hope they don't make the live service aspects too oppressive following this opening week (they will) and stick with the a la carte dlc model instead of season passes and reheated "free" additions we're supposed to act grateful for.

These are my same thoughts and worries, which is why I'm sort of excited for launch and playing early and suspect, like Payday 2, I'll end up dropping the game in disgust at some point. I feel like Payday 2's arc went from "Wow, cool mutlistage heights, stealth options, etc." to "We need harder and harder difficulties, more cops, brute force, brute force, brute force." It's kind of inevitable and you see it in other games, too. The core population keeps playing and grinds their nose against the game until there's nothing left, finding the fastest and easiest ways to grind out whatever progression they're grinding. I don't hate progression in Payday, Payday 3 seems like it'll be good, too, but I want cool heists where you can plan, execute, and try to be slick and efficient - loud or quiet - instead of just learning "We all get heavy armor, sit in these 2 corners, and then move the bags between waves, because thats how we beat OVERKILLDICKPUNCH+ difficulty and this mission has the best payout."

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Imo this is something that isn't unique to payday and is common on any game where heavy optimization is something that is possible. If you're trying to grind up through the levels then you are going to naturally do it in largely the most effective way, even if that means running the same map 500 times. That's likely why they put in the challenges in PD3, although people are pissed because it means they don't get xp for regular runs.

Like in most games the solution to grind is just not to grind and to play the maps that sound fun, but that's not how it really goes down in reality a lot of times. If you're playing every single day eventually what is bringing you back is grind.

Sure, I guess a better way to say it is "I wish they rewarded the way I wanted to play more than just making more cops and more special cops show up as the difficulty moderator." I enjoy a bit of grinding and progressing, I don't like 'new content' being, 'but what if it was just more bullshit than it used to be?'

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Gonna reuse my bad joke: maybe we’ll get to Play-day 3!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Kaddish posted:

I don't think I've seen a worse launch for a game, at least in recent memory.

Yeah this feels like MMOs 10-15 years ago, lol.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Me and a buddy have stealthed the jewelry store and the first bank.

It’s been a long time since I’ve played PD2, so maybe this is misremembering, but stealth feels a little more forgiving without it feeling cheesy. I really appreciate the extended negotiation phase but it would be nice if you could either get it a second time to delay the next wave or it was just a tiny bit easier/longer. (getting medpacks is only marginally useful, although it does make it nice to basically not have to carry a medpack deployable ever.)

It makes for a good arc if you try your best stealth but playthrough if you blow it. We’ve had a couple games where the assault was just barely hitting as we got out and it felt neat.

Researching skills is weird, to me. It feels like my strategy is going to be to equip every single one tree randomly until they’re all unlocked so I don’t have to worry about it. It takes some time, but not a ton, so it feels like a weird speed bump. I’m super appreciative respecs are free and easy.

I’ve read some complaints about the challenge based progression and I guess I’m finding myself somewhat indifferent? I think you should get something for every heist (“xp” wise) and it stinks that you don’t. It’s also weird that if you were a very sneak heavy crew you’d never get enough kills to get silencers, lol. At the same time, at least early on in the progression, I’m getting a whole bunch of challenges every single match.

My opinion could definitely sour if it gets super annoying toward the mid/end of levels.

Games fun when it works, overall. It’s what I wanted out of a Payday 3, more or less.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Also I found something that's non-obvious, if you hack a camera and turn it away from your friends, it doesn't detect them. In certain rooms, if the cameras are next to each other in the scroll order, you can keep 2-3 cameras pointed at the ceiling at a time.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Full on, careful stealth might not be the most efficient way to get your payday, but god drat is it truly satisfying to pull off in a way that just clearing a vault under assault isn't quite. Me and a buddy did Gold and Sharke stealth, only he masked, so he threw all of the bags off of the roof and I caught them at the basement parking garage and ferried them into the van, then he slipped into the garage access after we moved all the loot. It felt so god drat cool even if it probably took way longer than shooting it out.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I can't play until my friends get free later on tonight, but I was in game just to eyeball skill synergies and..

If you take:
-Grifter: Walk The Walk (With Rush, you can't be seen in private areas by Cameras,) Social Engineering (With Rush, Employees ignore illegal actions)
-Escapist: Battering Ram (If you have Rush, sprint through locked doors to breach them)

and use either the Grifter or Escapist first skills to maintain rush...

Can you just be The Turbo Team and sprint through private areas unlocking every door? It might not be crazy useful but it sounds fun as hell.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

The problem is the guards, Social Engineering works on civs but if you bust through a door then the guards will notice. Cameras with the perk also won't see you moving through an area but if you do an illegal action, which surely Battering Ram must be, it'll still see it.

yeah but what if I'm still sprinting, you can't catch me coppers

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Blue On Blue posted:

Please. Payday 3 let us toggle things and have them stay

Such as toggle off heist videos when selecting your heist

You can click it off each time but then it just comes back again ugh

Oh and please for the love of everything let us skip / mute the briefings

You can back out of the briefing and it will still queue you for matchmaking, so you can effectively leave the minute you hit OK.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

My current cross to bare is my 4 stack, when we plan a “stealth or restart” run, all takes double camera loops, and they fundamentally don’t understand to keep two looped. Some levels have like 12 cameras, we can permanently disable eight. Please just use the loving skill.

Levels with lots of hostages are fun. It’s a bummer the nightclub’s main reward is the crypto wallet that gets wiped if you gently caress up too soon, because when we did the more typical “stealth until we dont” I posted at the front door and held up hostages and bought us all the way to like, 17 for more time before the assault. That’s a super fun way to play and those minutes prior to the first assault are crazy fun, trying to work objectives and set up for the onslaught.

There’s a steam achievement for completing the Jewelry store in 120 seconds. I think it takes a full four stack, but my team set our sights on it and it is so stupid fun. I won’t share our strat for spoilers (unless someone wants it) but it does feel great to try and speedrun something as opposed to either plodding along in stealth or just shooting it out. If you have a four stack give this a try.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Funny enough having done all the levels both stealth and loud now, Road Rage is one of my least favorite loud heists. It’s relatively fast, but there’s not much variety or anything to it. It’s decent if you want to try out a new heavy load out/skills though!

The night club is fun loud, but man it gets really rough toward the end. If you bring one person with double hostage value you can really drag out the pre-assault phase since the level has one exit and an absolute ton of civs. I’m not sure why we always have bad luck near the end.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

explosivo posted:

People leaving as soon as a stealth heist goes loud is incredibly annoying. I think I've only ever finished a loud heist with a full group of randoms once or twice because two or more people inevitably leave the moment it goes loud.

I’ve only played with my friends but it’s really tough because while there’s no absolute hard “you absolutely need this for stealth” (bar maybe a silencer) it does stink to go loud if you’ve built your entire skill tree about camera hacking and rushing around with the other stealth skills. My crew has some hybrid builds for “we’ll keep going loud if we mess up” but if we set out to do a stealth no matter what there’s not much chance for us to survive a prolonged assault with those builds and I’d bet that’s how a lot of pubs build if they’re sneaking.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I never knew Payday 2 added steam marketplace poo poo. I hope we don’t ever get that for 3. Everytime money gets involved like that it changes the whole dynamic of the game with pubbies, everyone gets more toxic*

*this is wild speculation but I’m sticking to it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

oh, my friend, I have such stories to tell you

I would like to hear them, I love getting mad at things.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Pay to win is one thing (not defending it,) but my specific hate is when something becomes Play to Earn - I’ve noticed in lovely tier rocket league that anyone with TTV in their name is more apt to be a shithead because, I have to assume, they’re not there to have a drink and play a couple matches with a buddy, so me and my drunk buddy are immediately at odds with the guy who’s trying to keep eyes on his game.

poo poo like being able to sell drops on Steam marketplace seems like it would make that happen tenfold.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

My friends and I played the patch:
Cookout crashed midheist.
Turgid Station gave us no payout despite us getting all but one bag and getting out.
We did a penthouse run just to blow off steam about the problems, which also crashed midheist.

The changes to the armor skill giving you double means you just need even more armor bags, further emphasizing armor.

God drat guys do anything different please

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ve played the entire game with a reliable, dedicated four stack and we have dodged most of the worst the game has to offer with pubbies and matchmaking and that and after our horrible experience with the two rehashed heists last patch, not a single one of us four even knew this was coming nor has mentioned or bought it. I sent it to one other person in surprise and we both lolled.

Games have come back from worse and we had fun for awhile and would go back, maybe, som day, but boy they’ve really bungled it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I didn't play a lot of Payday 2 past its 'early' life and missed a lot of DLC, but I always super hated that the move was always to rush the best Reward-per-Time match which was Rats. Stealth was too finicky and Rats played into the gameplay of "Find the most optimal guns with the most optimal corners to most optimally reward yourself to better get more optimal guns to camp the most optimal corners." And I get it, the game dies without the grind and playing into that, but the base of Payday 3 has some threads of ideas that lead into more fun "Let's do our best to stealth and maybe it makes it easier even if we gently caress up" instead of being totally binary. I want that game - I want the heist game where no matter what my squad is prepared for whatever happens, but always tries their damndest to be smooth and clinical and is rewarded for progressing even slightly under those rules and can push the "Final Assault Hellwave" poo poo as far back as possible, but we can still attempt to deal with it.

The promise of Payday for me isn't that its a click-cops horde game, its that you can meaningfully affect the horde and delay it perhaps entirely. Its the progression from scoping, to stealth, to pre-assault, to assault that makes it unique and cool. It feels like they know that, but they can't help but just balance two separate games around stealth or assault. Maybe no one can, but its still what I want. The only way they've figured out to keep the gameplay treadmill running is to hide the right weapon upgrades deep into a lot of clicks and you figure out 98% of the "pre-final assault" gameplay way before you realize you're on the treadmill. There's better horde shooters, and if that's all payday wants to be ala "COOK THE METH," I'm gonna play something else.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Having played with a consistent 3 or 4 player group, we were spared a lot of problems with the general game and had enough fun I don’t feel ripped off.

But at this point I’ve almost forgotten that Payday 3 was something I played a lot last year.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I should have uninstalled the game entirely especially when my Payday group (and more friends!) all jumped on Helldivers, because this patch is now downloading a single file on steam, validating the entire game, and repeating. It's been updating for two days, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I don’t see how Payday 3 is going to compete for “four player co-op shooter” hours against Helldivers 2. That games blown up and been a total delight and anything short of an actual miracle patch doesn’t make me and my coop friends want to look back at Payday despite liking the vibe of being bank robbers more. Pre-Helldivers taking off I said they might have a chance, but I dunno man.