Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the turning point in the ammo economy really came when they had the weapons that only could be replenished by the ammo bag (like the RPG) and if you had one of those, you got double pickups on your other weapon. this enabled all sorts of fun stuff like the torgue build, but also made it clear how much better the game played when you had a reliable standoff weapon.

they eventually nerfed the double pickups, but the die was cast and in general you were able to get more ammo thereafter.

if pd3 is less copflood.avi i can see how having constrained ammo might work better again, i haven't actually played the game yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there's definitely a gamefeel of maximal cop murder in PD2 that is not replicated anywhere else, but feeling like an actual heisting team is also something that currently just flat out isn't anywhere so i can appreciate an attempted return to PD1's platonic ideal. stealth in PD2 was about shock therapy and memorization more than any kind of stealth fundamentals simply because the stealth mechanics were super janky and unreliable. every new map was basically about optimizing around those quirks, and if you deviated from that optimal path, the general wisdom was simply "reset". you're not a heist team at that point, you're a pack of machine-learning automatons.

assuming they can fix their drat game before the internet as a whole writes it off and stops caring i can honestly see pd2 and pd3 coexisting in that way, at least for a while. if you want to make a cop carpet, you load up payday 2. if you want to heist, you load up payday 3.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there's also no way to tell what a reasonable test is. 300k is probably high end compared to what you expect from how payday 2 went down. multiple millions might have been out of the scope of reality as far as their planning goes.