Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
The new thread title fills me with Determination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Sperglord Firecock posted:

so are people still mad about safes

You tell me!

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Psion posted:

I think the most we can hope for is as Overkill half-bakes an idea and shoves it out the door ("business as usual"), Ashley & Company get advance warning and can - possibly - say WHAT THE gently caress YOU NEED TO ACTUALLY EXPLAIN THIS and do Overkill's job for them, and then when the idea is actually presented to the public the most egregiously stupid parts are explained in advance, as opposed to no explanation > e-rage > twitch stream > somewhat useful AMA explanation three weeks later.

If that happens - and remember that's a best case scenario here - it's more than we could expect out of most companies, so I'm still for it.

I've always wondered why this wasn't the case beforehand; you can't expect a person to do their job well if you don't tell them about major shakeups that are coming down the pipe.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Coolguye posted:

Because she doesn't work for them.

The reality of the situation is that none of the community management team has actually been vetted at any point prior to this stupid strike and almir's interview. They got their positions purely by being the most active people around, and kept the positions by not stirring the pot too much. None of them owe anything to Overkill beyond sentimentality, and you're a fool if you rely on that to establish a functional system.

The situation works out great for Overkill because the management team does a decent job for no accountability burden on Overkill's part, and, just as importantly, for free. That's the real value that Overkill's getting out of the interview and the NDA - their team shuts up and gets back to what they were doing well, and they don't have to answer to anything the team does or pay them a dime. I'm not saying that Overkill is being unethical here - capitalizing off the excitement of your community is standard, and GOOD, business practice for a hundred reasons - but what I am saying is that they had rock-solid proof that they had value to Overkill and they basically shelved their complaints in return for what is in all likelihood going to be a few crumbs of information that won't really impact their lives at all. Oh and by the way they traded away their right to talk about stuff with relation to Overkill, too!

The real question in my mind is, what were they pulling this stunt for? Was it for themselves, because they have been treated poorly and put in impossible situations? If so, then why the public Almir stunt, and why did they cave so easily? 10 USD an hour for 10 hours a week of work moderating the forums is barely even beer money this day and age, but it would've been an entirely fair agreement for something they were doing anyway, and it would've given Overkill a real incentive to make sure that they're part of the team in a way a basic NDA doesn't. Hell, for my clients I frequently find faceless moderators for 8-10 bucks an hour, and then bill the client for 15-20. This is a valuable service, they knew it because of what they knew Almir was willing to do, and they pissed it away. So they did nothing for themselves.

Was it for the community, because of the massive shitstorm? If so, why did they drop their complaint after getting less than nothing? Again, signing the NDA is not a privilege, it is a responsibility. They are, arguably, LESS able to advocate for the community now than they were a few days ago, precisely because if they hear something, they can't talk about it and provide feedback the way they normally would. Almir promised absolutely gently caress-all on the call but it made them happy anyway. So they did nothing, or less than nothing, for the community.

Really what it boils down to is that the 'protest' was exactly what Almir implied it was from the start - a very vocal super-minority that had no idea what they wanted aside from 'not that'. Being a vocal person who doesn't like something on the internet doesn't make you persuasive, it makes you a joke. I think there's a number of people starting to realize that as the boycott calls break down like Modern Warfare 2's, so their 'protest' had fewer teeth than an 85 year old moonshiner, and even less direction.

And at least in my mind, shelving your complaints in return for less than nothing just confirms that you didn't have a leg to stand on. This entire thing has been a joke. A very sad joke, with people like jivjov as the punch line.

And that's my absolute last seriouspost on the subject. Anyone who responds to this, I appreciate your input so much that I will respond by channeling the Imp Zone.

This is a very good post.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
I read that initially as "StarTrek guns" and am now very disappointed.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Psion posted:

gotta get that 250k prize pool promise out of the way. Slaughterhouse is an interesting choice for it, in the sense of I don't understand in the slightest why they're picking it over any other map. I'm actually curious to see how they're going to make this a competition.

From the way it's written it seems like you complete the heist and get points, highest team score wins, but ... we'll see?

Payday 2 is the least competitive game I've played in a while; I have no idea how they expect to run any sort of real money tournament with no meaningful anti-cheat.

Jetamo posted:

...Overkill I don't even. They just keep digging themselves a hole.
Yeah, it's a real Money Pit. Why would they stop now?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

Now that almost all weapons are good I use a slug SPAS-12.

This... shall be my grave.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Both the new heists are good+fun. Under The Mountain apparently has extra loot on top of the mountain, so I have to run it a second time to get the mask.

TopHatGenius posted:

This new Murkywater contact talks way too loving much and needs to be really toned down. Even Bain at his worst isn't as bad as this guy.

He's South African so that's not bloody surprising, mum.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm trying to come up with ways to add more loot variety and more variable activities to the heist.

Have one of the pallets be full of antique samurai stuff, and it falls into a martial arts replica store (replaces diner).

Instead of a sewer escape via RHIB, have players drive a HMMWV that was stowed on the plane while being chased by FBI minigun SUVs.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Working parachute code included FREE with your ticket to see Point Break, in theaters December 25th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

CommunistPancake posted:

what sort of loophole did they use to get this on steam

Putting games that you're charging money for on Steam uses a loophole?