Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Wastrel_ posted:

The Medieval pack is quite terrible, but its saving grace is the explosive bows. Especially the crossbows, because I have no clue how to aim the English longbow.

Also, agree that Death Wish is a lot more manageable than it used to be. Because of the greater range of weapons (admittedly, many locked behind paid DLC) and skills It's now legitimately challenging rather than the utter bullshit difficulty it was initially.

Good new! Ultra Mega Deathwish will be available soon! Numbers skewed slightly higher to make use of those otherwise pointless stat skins. New enemey: the Salesman. He knocks you over like a cloaker and only lets you up if you pay him 2.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

Harvest and Trustee is like this.

That but without the two minutes of quietly shattering frames and rearranging body bags into vulgar phrases.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Since overkill seems to be getting in on every game that was massively cross-promoted on Steam (goat simulator, Chivalry) it makes sense that the next new heist will be based on Magica.

EDIT: Maybe Dungeon Defenders.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

LowellDND posted:

K, one of my friends likes stealth builds and lots of gadgets. How could this be improved?

http://pd2skills.com/#/v3/mBda:eDa:tHiJfGCda:gNPMHEFGDa:fECa:::

Yeah I did this too when I first started playing.

Figure out what he or she means by 'stealth.' There's really no room for 'the stealth guy' on the team imho because if you're trying to do a heist in stealth you might as well have everybody try and participate. If you're all just starting and have no levels or money it's okay for one guy to invest points in stealth, but everybody should be participating in stealth if you want to actually finish a heist that way. Keep in mind that you can switch builds between heists at the click of a button after a certain level, though you can't switch builds between days. All you 'need' to participate in stealth is an understanding of the stealth mechanics and a couple of cut down weapons. Double ECMs and ECM hacking can make a couple of select heists a little bit easier. IMHO drill skills including silent drill is more useful than the safe-lockpicking skill.

The scenario I created with my friends on my first build was something like this: I'll be the stealth guy, you idiots do whatever you want. What ended up happening was that 90% of heists I ended up loving up stealth, and then they'd drag my dead-rear end weight through the rest of it. Or, if I succeeded, they all ended up sitting around watching me while I bumbled through the heist.

What I'm saying is, stealth is really a game mode and not a play style. Trying to elect it as a playstyle will end in disappointment. Convincing your friends to stealth once in a while for a change of pace is fun though.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

You know I hadn't ever really read the Steam Comments or tweets at OVK but man people are so loving salty about this game. Especially since with the Goat DLC, you get:

1.) This DLC is stupid, and
2.) Why is it 6.99? and
3.) GOT OVERKILL MICROTRANSACTIONS? (still)

You don't really need to buy any of the heists so 6.99 for a lovely gun and some masks, it's totally not even required! Honest, I'm sure you can find a goat lobby right now! If you don't like it because it's not supersrs heist'n I'm not even sure what you want anymore - why do people who hate this game's tone so much continue to follow it at this stage? I mean I'll be the first to admit the game is a tonal mess, particularly where lately it seems like each heist is trying to top the last one in terms of absurdity, but the gameplay's all the same no matter how you slice it. :shrug:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Meldonox posted:

I can't suspend disbelief until they do a movie of them ECM rushing diamond store over and over again to grind out the 80s and 90s like I do with my gang.

Why would you ever do this by choice.

Even running something like Firestarter on Very Hard will probably get you to 100 faster.

Edit: Though there's no reason not to run Firestarter on Overkill if you can get the goon hookup going.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I haven't played PD2 seriously for a while (though I have kept mostly up to date). Have there been any discussions about skills rebalances again? I feel like we've had the same dead skills in the same dead trees forever now.

That said I will probably still buy the Wolf Pack.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

"I want my serious crime simulator back!"

:runs Rats 50 more times:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

clockworkjoe posted:

Oh and the mod hates the RPG, because I could not kill anything with it, not even normal cops, certainly not dozers.

That sound you hear is Vox madly scribbling in his diary.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

re:RPG balance

The problem is expecting enemy longevity to be tied to threat. The reason Cloakers are dangerous is because they don't need to be on the screen very long to do their thing, and they can drop out of vents, so they don't need to spawn at the edge of the map and slowly lumber toward you. Expecting any enemy to function as a 'boss' is poor design choice. You're not trying to counter-play, you're just trying to play better to get around the enemy. In this way dozers are actually terrible. They're no different than normal cops really except they do more damage and have a smaller glowing weakpoint.

Having more specials on the screen at any given time could help. Having specials who don't need to stick around very long to do their thing would also help. Gas turrets or some hypothetical gas cop just needs one good shot. They counter-play is to move and not sit in the gas.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Quick buff to Technician:

Step 1.) Make tripe mines a grenade that only Techs have access to instead of a separate deployable.

Step 2.) Give Techs a small% chance to get back grenades.

Step 3.) Make C4 a separate deployable rather than "turn your tripmines into C4" which is dumb.

Step 4.) Give Techs the ability to trigger their tripmines remotely instead of with a laser.

Done.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I dunno it's tough. You don't want to attach substantial mechanical upsides to Infamy. You already have skills and perk decks and people already complain the game is trivially easy. Start tossing in major upgrades and you'll see people under Infamy (X) getting kicked out of games again.

I think gun skins or free drills or something might be a decent incentive. Making Infamy a currency that you can spend (like "5 Infamy = Pair of free drills" or something) might make it a little bit easier to do than trying to add actual skill bonuses into Infamy.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Has their been any further word on the skillz revamp or are we still languishing in the forever-tease?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

You can't really call the new system with fewer points a 'rip off' until you have a better sense of what the other trees look like. If fewer overall points are required to get the same build, or possibly a new, better build, it's not really a straight 1-to-1 comparison, especially now that tier locks are supposedly gone.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

chairface posted:

Well sure, and in a PVE game it means fuckall. I'm not bitching there. Just, wow, that's sure a powerful secondary.

Consider that the alternative is a rocket launcher.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

So having run around with it a bit today, first thoughts on Maniac:

It's got an arcane UI. I think the blue bar is damage reduction and the white inner circle is supposed to be Hysteria but since they have a direct correlation I don't really understand why they made two bars for them.

It isn't terribly noticeable and I was only testing on Very Hard; I can only imagine how little effect it will have when enemies are doing more damage. It might make a huge difference on paper but it just doesn't feel impactful.

Keeping up stacks is a real chore, even with things like the flamethrower, malatovs and high RoF weapons to compensate. You've got no innate health regen, so you're going to be taking cover to regenerate your armor, which means your stacks are going to decay. It plays a lot like reverse grinder, to its detriment; Grinder gets better the more reckless you are, since you need to keep hitting and keep getting regen if you want to survive. By contrast the EHP that Maniac offers is too low to support reckless play so you have to play conservatively. But the only way to benefit from it is to be constantly shooting.

Overall, not great. I want to try it as part of a support-team some time though, with Maniac, Gambler, Armorer, and Crew Chief.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Yeah but add that to the other deck bonuses and its not bad when they're all buffing each other in their own ways. It not supposed to be amazing on its own.

This is what I'm curious about. An all-synergy team might be interesting. Gambler, Armorer, Crew Chief and now Maniac, I think, are all the ones that add crew bonuses, right?

I'm also curious how it interacts with other decks that reduce damage, namely, Infiltrator.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I'm still playing with it, but Maniac seems like it's very mediocre. It acts like an extra layer of protection between your armor and your health, but the absolute best you can do is 36 points' worth of damage per person (600 stacks). If a Maniac can max out his whole crew, that's only 144 points' worth of damage negation, but only 36 points at a time. Admittedly, it's rechargeable, but you can only generate 240 stacks (of 600) every 4 seconds. That means you need to put out 600 damage every 4 seconds to get the maximum benefit. Of course, every 8 seconds, you lose ~60% of what you've gained, so you're constantly fighting to keep your stacks up. If there weren't some restrictions on how much negation you can generate, it would be stupidly broken, and I get that. But right now, I think the gains are extraordinarily minimal.

Contrast to something like Grinder, where you can heal for something like 48 to 96 health every six seconds or so. Or Ex-Presidents, where you can store a fairly substantial amount of backup health. At that point, who really cares about taking damage? You'll just heal it back as long as you stay alive. With Maniac, you will, at some point, get chipped to death/into using resources.

If there weren't a bunch of health regen decks, I think this would be a pretty good deck. But that's not the case. Or if there were more team synergy decks, then I could see this fitting in. But why bother with Gambler when everyone can run Grinder/Muscle and heal faster?

At this point, my conclusion is that the deck is functional, but only in a "can I make this gimmick work" sense. If the decay got removed, I think it would probably be in a good position, but it's hard to say without being able to test that sort of thing.

Yeah this is still pretty much my conclusion (see my post above). I think from a theorycrafting standpoint you might be able to do something with an all-team-synergy perk list or maybe pair it with Infiltrator or something but at that point you're trying to make something work that just kind of sucks. What's the point of stopping 36 damage, maybe, every 6-8 seconds, when everybody could be healing far more than that on their own?

I think they should have gone all-in on the gimmick. It comes off overly conservative and just frankly not that noticeable. I like Gambler because if I'm trying to do a leader thing it strikes me as the most proactive and team-useful perk deck while still providing healing. Maniac doesn't provide enough benefit to me to justify the barely noticeable benefit it gives to my team, and it's completely counter-intuitive at that. I can't heal myself and it provides a very tiny layer of damage reduction, but it wants me to run into the street and madly gun down cops. It doesn't work.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I still maintain that it's a little premature to worry about how post-rework Enforcer compares to the current trends. Also - is it really true that you need all that poo poo to make Shotguns good anymore? I mean yeah, shotguns took a nerf during the weapon rebalance but I haven't had any difficulty shooting mans with them.

I guess a more focused design question is: what weapon am I "supposed" to use if I don't put any points into weapon specialization?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Plan Z posted:

Gotta say that x years in, I'd rather have them jumble things up like this and surprise me to switch up the repetition than to keep running with what I have. I think now you just have to choose what you're going for with a build more, instead of just saying that "These are the most useful things, and I want all of them."

This is how I feel. I mean, let's be real here. Most builds following one of the following options:

GET THE gently caress UP with dodge.

GET THE gently caress UP with armor.

All Shotguns, All the Time.

Akimbo Guy (possibly with GET THE gently caress UP)

Fart Guns

other (sub-optimal gimmick builds)

SHOTGUN/MEDIC/DODGE could be fun, if you think in terms of how many maxed trees you have. Granted, even just glancing at these previews it's obvious that there's poo poo at the upper end nobody is really going to care about, which is really weird, but I can at least see what they're going for. Having every build boil down to "Fast Hands/Transporter/Underdog/etc" plus one helpful thing is getting pretty old.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Zigmidge posted:

I finally sat down and took a real look at skills and trying to figure out my own builds I came up with what seems to be called a techforcer. Looking for validation I hopped onto reddit and found that everyone is running the muscle deck with ICTV. Is that required to take it to DW levels or will my med vest grinder techforcer be enough? I mean, I wreck poo poo on overkill and below in slaughterhouse and hox breakout. It's a build where I don't have to use my brain one bit, I can just focus on running real fast over obstacles and clicking on faces. I'm like 6 days old in this game and am sort of guessing in the dark at how deep it seems.

How granular does the top end of this game get with asking for optimized builds? Can I just throw all that poo poo to the wind and have fun if I'm Good At Video Games?

You may find DW less intuitive (and fun, imho) than Overkill but you can usually get by with raw skill. That being said, DW enemies are tougher and deal more damage, so you may find yourself ducking for cover and reloading far more often than you would on easier difficulties. It's just a bunch of numbers but DW honestly feels like a different game in some ways. I have to be much more conservative. I guess the easiest way to sum up DW experience is to say it punishes errors more and there's less flexibility to experiment or compensate for your mistakes. Where on OVK you can take a few bullets to the face and just kind of limp back to a safe spot, that kind of behavior can get you killed on DW.

'Optimal' is used pretty loosely these days. Basically you need survival from armor or dodge, and some form of health regeneration. You need some kind of ammo replenishment strategy. You need the same QoL stuff that you need on literally every build. And somebody on your crew needs Inspire aced. Other than that it's the same game with more aggressive enemies. Take cover. Shoot heads. Expect risky gambits to get punished more severely on DW.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Any funkyness with the 14 person mod? Also does it do anything to the difficulty or does the whole thing just become piss easy?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I forget did we get the enforcer sneak preview this week or last week?

Slowly teasing out these skill revisions is so painful.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think that the new Engineer tree actually looks pretty attractive. I mean yeah, it's a totally sideways perspective from the usual shootmans, then shoot more mans style of play but it slots right in there. I think we're passed the point where every team needs 4 Doctor Bags and 4 Ammo Bags anyway. And having like five sentries that are reusable is going to fundamentally change their utility.

The fact that they pierce armor and shields is just even more delicious. Having sentries with different settings is going to create some TF2 base configuration theorcrafting.

Splitting tripmines/c4 was a great idea and is going to alter the way people use those too. I'm hoping there's a way to regain used tripmines though, it's really the only way to make them really great.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I hope he's got a temperature controlled terrarium.

For those phythons

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

What is a good dodge grinder build? I am really enjoying Grinder, far more than Rogue - it allows me to treat HP as a renewable resource, and it means that if I'm good enough at shooting I will never die. I feel like dodge is the way to go though, but I'm not sure what skills I should be shooting for.

I honestly find the most important component of Grinder is weapon selection, not your build. As others have said Aced Duck and Cover is all you really need. I like Grinder with a good fart build myself.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I really hope the beta goes up in a timely fashion. So hype.

EDIT: It looks like we won't see a beta any sooner than 4/22 and it could come later than that. There's apparently a stream of the new skills happening on 4/22 and it'll be the our 'first look' at the new system. Kind of disappointed they'd tease us for a month and then make us wait but ah well.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 15, 2016

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Honestly after the weapon revamp, perk revamp and skill revamp I wouldn't be surprised to see another pass at general game difficulty at some point. Given the game's lifespan it would probably be the last pass at the game's difficulty but still.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I will say this about the skill calculator/skill revamp:

I think you'll see fewer "optimal" builds available so you might actually see less build diversity at the high end. That being said, the capacity for pure gimmick builds with this thing is mind blowing and that's usually where I have the most fun.

In other words: jerks who hate fun will see minimal disruption. Everybody else strap yourself in for some crazy bullshit.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Honestly most games we have way too many doctor bags to be useful. Pubbies already huff them whenever they get a chance, which I was kinda fine with given the circumstance I just described. Now? Now I don't have to pick their dumb asses up as part the bargain. gently caress if Messiah actually becomes common place maybe I can stop taking inspire! (probably never)

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 16, 2016

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Sometimes I wish cops would have random, variable health.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Wilko posted:

All I do is make stupid poo poo now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxLYUFUPu2Y

Shadowrun spinoff game confirmed.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Beta's supposed to be available today, right?

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 28, 2016

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

KillerQueen posted:

Fun beta...bug? feature? It's not letting me select more than one top-level skill even though I've got them points.

I'm not sure if it's the same bug or not but the game clearly doesn't read the correct number of points. For some reason it doesn't seem like it'll let you make a move that would take you to zero points - so like, if you have 4 and a skill would take 3, you're good, if it would take 4, no dice.

EDIT: Is Muscle bad now? Did all our fears come to pass? I'm just curious, I don't really run Muscle.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 29, 2016

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

So in theory nothing stops a crew of 4 from bringing something like 20 sentries, 1 half-bass ammo bag each, and a total of 8 jokers?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Shotguns are less good, no doubt, though knocking down multiple cops with a loose-spread shotty feels pretty good with the right skills.

Overall I like a lot of the new builds. Minion build works really well right now, knockdown synergises with everything. Almost every tree represents a unique gimmick you can build around now, and most of them are really good in principle. Of course almost all of them are too good right now and a smart build will trivialize OVK more than it was already.

I unno update good.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

So I can't speak to DW viability or whatever but new all-turret meta seems pretty busted. I got something like 400+ kills on Hotline Day 1 last night and a similar performance on Day 2. You can pretty much spend the whole heist yacking as the turrets clear all the spawn points, while I just ran around occasionally refreshing them as necessary.

I'm not sure what I'd do to tweak the skill but it needs something.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Metalocalypse posted:

I've been thinking that it's an issue with quantity. I'd tone down the total you can carry down to 4 and go from there. I love what they are capable of, but I'd rather people have to watch over their limited supply of them instead and setting and forgetting them.

Yeah for sure. I mean it mostly becomes a question of what the purpose of the turret even is. If it's to cover a flank or blindspot - particularly useful on some of the really brutal maps where cops can spawn in almost any direction or where a spawn point is very close to the active play area, like the Diamond - then limiting the quantity will help to thin cop numbers in a specific area without necessarily trivializing the map. Otoh it's going to still be a sticking point on very mobile maps, where the turrets become useless, or on smaller maps with chokepoints, where quantity won't really be a limiting quality to speak of.

I could totally see an argument to keep the 6-turret meta as it is but it would have to largely replace your own weapons, reducing a turret engineer to just his turrets as the primary way of clicking cops.

Reduce # of turrets and maybe even increase the cost to place them. But give me a remote control that lets me jump into one of them whenever I want.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If you have the shield knockdown skill, do your turrets knock down shields?

Not that I've seen, no. But the best defense against shields for turrets right now is just to set two across from each other so that no matter which way the shield faces, one of the turrets will kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I know, what a time to be alive.