Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

The Payday 2 experience.

Psion fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cowman that's on you, really. You knew getting into it what the COP was. They made it very clear up front it was hype fuel first, support Overkill second, get something a distant third. And you already got the masks - so you already did get something.

This is - and I'm speaking generally here - what amuses me about a lot of the COP complaints. People who whine they can't sell their drill rewards for $20 are just great. No concept of what economics means here, I see. If someone wanted to pay $20 for that particular skin they probably would have bought the COP to begin with, at which point they would have gotten hype fuel, Mega Masks, and their own COP Safe/Drill. "why can't I sell a fraction of this DLC for the full price of the DLC" is a question a lot of people are incapable of understanding.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Wasn't the Completely Overkill thing an optional "give us more money for support!" on that train poo poo? Not that them promising a neat reward and giving you something lovely is a good thing but playing this game from Day One should have acclimated people to that, right? I haven't had faith in Overkill since the first few months.

e: Also if I'm wrong on the idea if it was optional support money let me know.

no you're completely right. People are salty about the ~secret~ rewards being lovely and taking so long to come out and that's legit: the reward was lovely and did take forever to come out. On the other hand, there was no reason to expect otherwise, so if you see someone acting entitled because they bought the COP they should be mocked for being stupid.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 18, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Gestalt Intellect posted:

This is true, but overkill still advertised the COP with that additional unrevealed item, and having that item be RNGed to be worse than what other players got out of the same purchase (which can happen in both appearance and stats) is incredibly lame.

yeah if they'd just locked every COP reward skin to epic or mint condition or whatever it'd be fine but Overkill is bad at this. like they had CS:GO as a straight up tested example to copy from and they hosed that up so it's no surprise they hosed this up too

UnknownMercenary posted:

The solution they're floating around is to give us more Completely Overkill safes but this time with guaranteed mint condition quality. Can't wait to roll two more Plainsrider bows!

New way to make the technician tree available. Legolas, a T6 skill. 4 points lets you fire two arrows at once. Acing it gives them homing against any non-special cop head in view.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

My favorite part of payday 1 was that the cops would climb up the buildings. Like normal street cops would hear they need backup on the 50th floor. They would start climbing the skyscraper saying, "officer in pursuit".

You know, that's a really good point. The Diamond Heist cops just free-climbed 22 stories, rolled in a window, and started blasting you. Those guys were serious.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

1) some weapons can punch through shields like sniper rifles, but a HE shotgun is a nice and convenient way to remove them. You can also use Iron Man Ace to melee them and shoot them in the rear end with regular bullets or just circlestrafe them until they give up and shoot them with regular bullets. Explosives, shotgun slugs, flamethrower, and dragons breath (don't use DB) also don't care about shields.

2) infamy 1-5 is actually useful in that it allows you to unlock the ability to put fewer points in a given skill tree to unlock higher tiers. It's useful for squeezing a few extra points out of a build. infamy 6-25 is useless e-peen Call of Duty Prestige Mode. I say this as an infamy 25 player.

3) many people are incapable of Funhaving and must min/max optimize everything. Sometimes they grow out of it. Sometimes their only fun IS min/max optimizing, which is sad.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think the most we can hope for is as Overkill half-bakes an idea and shoves it out the door ("business as usual"), Ashley & Company get advance warning and can - possibly - say WHAT THE gently caress YOU NEED TO ACTUALLY EXPLAIN THIS and do Overkill's job for them, and then when the idea is actually presented to the public the most egregiously stupid parts are explained in advance, as opposed to no explanation > e-rage > twitch stream > somewhat useful AMA explanation three weeks later.

If that happens - and remember that's a best case scenario here - it's more than we could expect out of most companies, so I'm still for it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Wales Grey posted:

I've always wondered why this wasn't the case beforehand; you can't expect a person to do their job well if you don't tell them about major shakeups that are coming down the pipe.

It is entirely possible they simply haven't internalized the need for it. Once burned, twice shy, so we can but hope they're figuring it out. Let's take hypothetical decision X, which will be a thinly disguised analogue for microtransactions.

The publisher says "do this." The develoeprs get the word and start doing it. It's their job, whether or not they like it. They keep going. They finish the product, send it out, say, we've accomplished the goals of this project. It gets dropped in the production queue because time is money. At the same time, they've been working on it for weeks/months - so it's not "new" to them. They've internalized it as the way things are going to be now. It comes out, internet explodes, because nobody outside that bubble had the slightest inkling.

Is this the developer's fault? Not particularly, no - they're doing their jobs. But somewhere in there, someone didn't step back and ask "now how would someone coming at this cold feel about it? And how can we handle that?" And that's the fault of PR. Which has always - always been a major weakness on Overkill's part.

I'm not saying gently caress ALMIR so don't read it like that - it's like blaming Major Nelson for the terrible decisions made before launching the Xbone; the failure was progressive and many steps up the chain from "PR frontman." I am saying the mechanisms in place at 505/Overkill to control their PR/brand/messaging are inadequate. That's what I mean when I wrote "Ashley and company do their jobs for them" because this is something Overkill needs to have handled. The publisher usually handles it. Theirs isn't.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Gestalt Intellect posted:

There would be an enormous shitstorm if they kicked out ashley. I would be surprised if they did that, NDA or not.

Uh huh, and would that be bigger or smaller than the shitstorms of.... oh, I don't know, paid microtransactions? Let's not overestimate things here.

Really, what I want is for the dataminers to go figure out how exactly safe drops work - what the criteria are for getting one, and then what do you have to do to get a second? Is it just time played? Games played? Games played on different days? Someone's gotta be able to figure this out.

I have plenty of anecdotal evidence and let me say in advance to the three people who are about to post their anecdotal experiences: that's not really helpful. I want to know if the actual formula has been found.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

im depressed lol posted:

Source: anecdotal evidence

literally the exact thing I didn't want.

Discendo Vox posted:

I believe dataminers can't do anything to determine what drill and safe rates are, as they're steam-side.

Aren't CS:GO crates and TF2 crates fairly well understood, though? Is that because Valve posted how they work or people figuring it out? like back when I actually played TF2 idled for drops the system was like a clock.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Just had an odd bug where no matter who you were talking to or calling at your character would yell "Clover" instead. Happened to both me and my buddy, yell at each other, speed ups, revive calls all of em Clover.

Chains has a problem where he calls far too many people Bonnie, but everyone-as-Clover is new. That's pretty awesome. Who were you playing as?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Fellis posted:

I thought it was funny because i was going to make an obnoxious irony post with lots of meaningless details and conclusions and then someone had already beaten me unironically

I wish you had, that would've been funny. If you do I'll go update the achievement to 2/3 :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The comments are, of course, hilarious. More reasonable people than I anticipated - both ones who appreciate what Overkill is doing here and ones who don't - but of course a whole lot of salty tears from people with the maturity of a small child.

a whole lot.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dr Cheeto posted:

Somehow I glossed completely over the DREAMHACK WINTER PAYDAY 2 TOURNAMENT proof-of-concept in which we'll apparently see Overkill try and shoehorn Slaughterhouse into a competitive event.

WE ESPORTS NOW

gotta get that 250k prize pool promise out of the way. Slaughterhouse is an interesting choice for it, in the sense of I don't understand in the slightest why they're picking it over any other map. I'm actually curious to see how they're going to make this a competition.

From the way it's written it seems like you complete the heist and get points, highest team score wins, but ... we'll see?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Coolguye posted:

The larger issue was he rules, Overkill did an atrocious job of articulating the criteria behind winning. They implied that it was gonna be most entertaining or something, and then just defaulted to most bags, which was never articulated at any point.

please don't remind me. :mad:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Bad advice is still bad advice.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Fellis posted:

if you used anything but a 45/18/34 CAR4 (only if she's 5'3")

:laugh:

good post, great reference

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Shima Honnou posted:

Before they made weapons good I just solved the CAR-4 issue by using a shotgun.

Now that almost all weapons are good I use a slug SPAS-12.

speak not the dread name SLUGGATOR in this thread

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

UnknownMercenary posted:

I wonder what you would think of this mod

A bad mod.

Plan Z posted:

Took a group of scrubs on a Sluggator run and they were insisting on being able to use fully modded-out great secondaries when they pleased. Shameful.

That is shameful.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Insert name here posted:

Reminds me of when Bomb: Dockyard used to have maps of Washington state on the computers rather than Washington DC. :v:

E:

Perhaps this also explains their use of Costco brand generics in the drug cabinets. Costco's headquartered just outside Seattle. OR PERHAPS IT IS THE SECRET??????? HOLY poo poo

(it probably just came up in a GIS)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Deviant posted:

ahem that's SIR mixalot

Thank you for showing proper respect to one of the best artists of our time

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

UnknownMercenary posted:

Can't wait to have my RPG fire 200 rounds like a machine gun.

A Buzzsaw fire rate RPG would probably crash Payday 2 so hard it'd delete itself from your hard drive.

Worth it.

In an only slightly less absurd route, I could take finally have an AA-12 worthy of Terry Crews when I load it with GL40s. Not GL40 rounds, mind you, but straight up GL40s.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Grapplejack posted:

Well if the drills did anything they made the dlcs much better. it's seven bones now for the character pack plus the two heists where before it'd probably be seven for each plus five for the character. :shrug:

I hope they attribute every update to the Black Market Update, just to maximize salt generation.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

UnknownMercenary posted:

I already go pubbing with skins on and I rarely get kicked, but when I do it's usually the instant I join the lobby. Only one time, I got kicked at the end of a heist as we finished and boy that was really petty and stupid.

I just can't wait to be the kick target trifecta of being Bodhi, 25-100 and using a paid skin but speaking from experience it's entirely overblown just like every other childish boycott that isn't "stop playing the game."

Change your steam name to be John Wick, Professional Heister and get a four-for-one deal.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Afraid of Audio posted:

technically overdrill

in terms of xp/time I don't think it is actually

that's right, Overdrill needs to be buffed :laugh:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dr Cheeto posted:

Historical pack doesn't give you grenades, the potato masher is a melee weapon.

I really hope the new sniper is in the same tier with the Nagant and R96. I don't need another worthless bolt-action light sniper.

We'll see what kind of :overkill: they come up with, but based on what the preview said I think it's likely to be an R93/Nagant-alike. Unless they're jettisoning their entire rebalance already that's the only real tier it can fit into and still do what was claimed.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

BONJOUR, IT'S MITCHELL. OVER ON KEEL STREET

THE PIPES, YOU KNOW

odds on Counterfeit being the next Classic Heist?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

explosionface the changelog is on the Overkill website and not really easily list-ified but, short version:

new heists, new achievements, new weapons, masks, patterns, materials, all the usual stuff

new weapon re-rebalance (what you expected from previous discussion)
some of the new VO they were talking about (they explicitly say not all of it)
bug fixes for Aftershock, FWB and Slaughterhouse
you get XP per-day of several multiday heists as opposed to in a lump sum all at the end
vehicle camera controls
general bugfixes and crash fixes

I'm sure someone will work up a nice long quotable list. Probably reddit. Somebody else can quote that though :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

UnknownMercenary posted:

So looks like they just made the initial beta changes live with a promise of another beta in "early 2016" :effort:

Also I went to the trouble of formatting the changelogs but gently caress it I was beaten

all I need to know is how much to modify my own rebalance to take advantage of the new ammo pickup values (which are good) and ignore their shotgun changes (which I did better) :colbert:

because I cannot give a single gently caress about the rest of the changes

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Shima Honnou posted:

The Jericho is literally another Desert Eagle as far as damage goes but with better base concealment and total ammo.

does it also have the deagle's stupid run animation?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I've got some bad news...

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

despite it not being your fault

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The only way that salt could get saltier is if people started catching tempbans for it.

I hope they do.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah the new perk deck is interesting, but I'm not really convinced about using it on DW yet.

What gets you with grinder is getting chain-downed on Deathwish - you're in a suit or LBV, you get revived with like 3 hp, you get shot again, repeat, custody. With the new perk deck it's the exact same problem except, unlike grinder, your health regen "battery" can be emptied and then you're wholly hosed because you can't kickstart your HP regen the way you can with grinder (i.e. just shoot something and go hide for a second)

I haven't run any numbers on dodge chance or that nonsense so I don't know, maybe it just requires an adapted playstyle, but I think it's a really cool mechanic so I'll try it out a few more times. It's definitely not ideal for the Modern Warfare map because when you parachute out of Mile High Club down to Burgertown, you have no cover on the roof of buildings where the money bundles tend to be and then you just get chipped right into custody.

No Blood on the Carpet, however, was extremely fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_gFm_U66f8

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Basticle posted:

Wait, did they finally implement per-pellet damage?

No, they haven't.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Have you used them or are you going off of what others have said? The damage buff is far too low but the range normalization did a lot to help autoshotguns. Ideally they would buff them further so 000 buck was not a requirement, and scrap those idiotic hipfire multipliers.

Oh and the normalization is 10 to 30 metres (Joc/Mosconi range) for every shotgun.

They're still just not worth it against the other weapons available to you, is the problem. Autoshotguns require the most skillpoints of any weapon in the game and offer the least rewards. That's compared to other primary shotguns and compared to other primaries at all. Like, sure, they keep addressing peripheral issues (range normalization) but they refuse to acknowledge the core problem whatsoever. Great, it's a highly polished bad choice.

In the main, Cheeto's point is still correct. For all the changes they're making, none of them address the core fault - so those changes are, relatively, doing very little.

also does anyone have a copy of the latest patch update lua? I want to see how this ammo pickup change is operating because I'm not sure it's working properly or I've got a mod conflict I need to resolve.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 4, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

You do know the game just tells you how much HP you can store with each armor deck when you're picking armor in the menu right

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

swan song HE is a payday 2 experience everyone should have. Regularly.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

UnknownMercenary posted:

people were using them as high damage single target weapons, and they wanted to go for a lower damage sort of crowd control weapon with shotguns. It would kind of explain why they made the accuracy so pitiful, but they just don't play very well that way. At any rate, now that LMGs and Muscle are certifiably good I have a new thing to harp on as "not as bad as everyone says they are". :v:

and of course because :dice: I mean because Overkill, LMGs (especially with muscle) are better room-suppressing/room-clearing shotguns than shotguns.

I think they gotta give that one up. Requiring multiple hits from an LMG firing at 1200 rounds a minute with a 150-200 round magazine is one thing. Requiring multiple hits from a shotgun with a mag size of 20 or less is a hell of a lot different. But then you already know my opinion on how to sort shotguns into four tiers so whatever. (break-action, pump, semi, auto)

the real way for Overkill to balance shotguns is to create map design where you'll have to deal with variable ranges to your enemies so an autoshotgun isn't always objectively the best option. Not coincidentally, that same variable range helps balance sniper rifles among other things. To make things worse, they're already doing that, and the two latest maps show it just as well as any. A shotgunner can obliterate the plane but then you're in real trouble on the Teuer roof below. But, alas, Overkill still decided to gently caress the AA12 and will never, ever love the Saiga.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 4, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Ex-presidents is Budget Grinder: it's for people who don't want to buy Sokol but do want some of that sweet grinder action. It's not as good, it's even more vulnerable to Grinder's biggest weakness on Deathwish (getting chain downed) and it doesn't have Patrick Swayze.

all in all, it was worth what I paid for it.

I would reconsider ex-presidents if they didn't make it so any health regen drains your entire stored health battery. If I take 5 hp damage but I have 200 hp banked, well, all 200 is drained to restore that 5 hp. If, instead, I had 5 hp damage and 5 hp removed from the battery, that would most likely be overpowered as hell, but as it stands if you have Grinder, there's no reason to use Ex-Presidents so....who cares?

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 7, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The heaviest thing you can realistically expect to dodge in is an LBV, so yeah. Suit is best for a lot of reasons including the math behind how dodge is calculated.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

If you're committed to techforcer you can do either and it'll help a lot, but Enforcer is probably your best bet. It's got relevant skills for almost every build type in the game.

Technician is a real points wasteland though so being able to go up that tree with fewer points will help you for sure, but in the future if you decide to drop one of those two trees it's gonna be technician first and enforcer never, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Nehru the Damaja posted:

In what world am I using Grinder and still falling enough to justify Swan Song

I take it you don't go in for difficulties above Very Hard