Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So what's a good character build/set of equipment for stealth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

What's the best (or even "a good") build and perk deck for new players to work towards? Most of the stuff online assumes you have every mod available, are level 100, and have multiple levels of infamy, which isn't much help when advising folks who are level 50.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Solo stealth would probably be more tolerable if the bots either did anything or you didn't end up having to slowly shuffle 20 bags across the map on your own.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Psion posted:

shockproof ace: "you didn't want to put those points somewhere else, did you?"

Is this... a bad skill? Being able to spin in place hammering E and defeat a taser seems useful.

Or was that :thejoke:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

TheObserver posted:

So it looks like the Team AI bots are getting an upgrade.

Interested in this. Would be good if they could at least carry bags autonomously.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

maswastaken posted:

Is throwing a bag directly into Hoxtonbot's spine not good enough?

Well, no

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

What's the most effective weapon to give a bot?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Playing a bit with only bots, they seem decent enough at killing poo poo - I was able to do Mallcrasher on Mayhem without too much trouble with only bots. The upgrade that allows them to shoot through shields and armour is pretty essential.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

It is utterly mad the quantity of dudes that get shovelled into the killzone, though. Like an average mission will leave 1600 cops dead. We're entering Great War "over the top" territory at this point.

Might be worth considering making criminals more fragile but sending less guys against them?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

If I was introducing a new player I'd do normal and let them take the lead while I try something unusual, like sniping.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Does the Raid actually look good? I've seen sod-all about it and it's supposed to be out any month now.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

What's in the current beta?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Loadouts are silly complicated in this game. Skill trees and weapon choices are not enough, no, we have to have perk decks, ammunition choices and weapon attachments to deal with too.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

So did anyone watch that stream for Raid?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The Raid beta started. Load Payday 2 and there's a yellow link to it at the top of the main menu.

6.5 GB download.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Raid Beta first impressions (played offline with 3 bots):

* You get two missions - blow up a Zeppelin moored at a Flakturm, murder some SS out in the woods

* There are four classes - assault (semi-auto rifle), demolitions (shotgun), insurgent (SMG) and recon (rifle)

* Weapons are class locked so you can't be a recon with a shotgun, for example

* You can pick any class and nationality combination, so you could be a British Recon or a German Recon or a German Demolitions, whatever

* Weapons are upgraded by completing achievements for them. For example you get less recoil on the semi-auto rifle the assault has by shooting like five hundred guys from the hip with it

* You get a comedy video clip of Hitler being shown a report on your exploits and getting angry after each mission

* John Cleese is quite fat now

* There are outfits you can dress your dudes up in

* Bots still don't complete objectives for you - they won't twiddle dials or spot SS camps for you, but so far I haven't seen any really arduous requirements like "Carry 15 bags across the map one at a time"

* I've seen three special enemies - officers who apparently make the enemy fight harder, slow armoured flamethrower guys, and snipers

* You can pick up ammo and health from enemies, but you don't seem to have a regenerating armour mechanic like in Payday 2

* Stealth feels much better than in Payday 2, much easier to tell if you're being spotted, you can (and should) stab infinite Nazis in and out of the game, and you can hide bodies without limit

* There are mounted machineguns you can use, they'll murder everything in front of them and you'll get shot in the side

* Classes appear much simpler than in Payday 2, and all their perks are unique, so no mix and matching between them. Each class has a static perk (EG: Assault uses less ammo) and a "warcry" triggered perk (EG: Assault heals his team)

* I think I saw a guy have his arms shot off

I like it so far. Engine is definitely that of Payday 2, so it's a little janky. Normal seems very easy, hard killed me. Indoor missions (the flakturm one) are much easier than outdoor ones (the SS one).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

tweet my meat posted:

Is The Raid basically payday 2 with WW2 missions instead of heists? I'd honestly be down for that if so.

Yeah, pretty much. Nazis make a better enemy type than cops - it makes sense for 10,000 of them to come after you during a mission.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yardbomb posted:

Pretty much Raid is neat and the idea's great, but it needs some work on the "feel" of things like the guns.

I wonder if any of it's caused by the fact that WW2 guns are generally worse, and we're only seeing the level 1 weapons.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The recon guy is fairly miserable to play as, even in the outdoor mission. A five-round bolt-action rifle is not a good weapon.

So far I'd rate the classes Insurgent (SMG) > Assault (semi-auto rifle) > Demolition (shotgun) > Recon (bolt-action rifle)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I was irritated when I played the Trainwreck mission solo and had to personally shuffle four pallets of gold up and down a ladder for ten minutes.

They really need to scale any kind of fetch-mission to the number of human players since the AI has no way of assisting you with them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

maswastaken posted:

Just throw them all off the bridge.

Yeah, that's true. You're still stuck doing all of that (IE: Lockpicking the entire train) yourself and it'd be better if there were a quarter of the pallets when only one player is capable of moving them.

The game's obviously designed for four players at a time to be playing, but it seems like it wouldn't be that much of a change to make it much more playable solo.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Michaellaneous posted:

I watched a few streams and wow, RAID looks really bad.

I kinda like it. I really like the simplicity of the gun builds, and the fact that you don't have to build towards stealth or loud, you can always attempt to stealth as far as possible then go loud.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

maswastaken posted:

It's only forgiving if you manage to murder absolutely everyone who notices everyone else screaming and shooting. Of course, camping the radios and murdering absolutely everyone probably isn't so difficult on Hunters.

Oh poo poo, there are actual physical radios on Hunters? I assumed the yelling and shooting just alerted everyone.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

maswastaken posted:

Enemies have to actually call in for back up to end stealth and they don't have anything more portable.

Yeah, it completely makes sense. I guess I just underestimated the game and expected the enemies to have ear-radios like they do in Payday.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

How many missions does it have?

Edit: Looked on the Steam forum and someone said "21 campaign & single missions + at least 4 outlaw raids. 25 raids" - sounds like a fair bit of content.

Gort fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 26, 2017

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Seems weird to give the tree about being a good shot skills that benefit you if you miss, but whatever

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Anyone else playing this in VR? My character feels very slow and the sprint control doesn't appear to work.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Paingod556 posted:

You auto sprint if you one-hand your gun. Using two hands activates ADS and will slow you down.

If it's not that, no idea, been fine for me except those times you get caught on loving geometry.

Ah, I've been using dual pistols, maybe that's the problem.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Someone tell me a good shotgun build

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

http://pd2skills.com/#/v3/mACDfr:eaCDfgIJL:gJl:fMOPr:ibcdea:::a3

Equip an AA12 or an Izhma on full auto. Spray bullets, profit. Secondary can be a GL or an HE Shotty.

Seems odd to not take Shotgun Impact. What perk tree would you couple this with?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

That build worked really well, thanks Muenster.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

It's a shame, 'cause I really like some things about Raid:

* I prefer shooting Nazis to cops
* It makes more sense for the Nazis to have an endless army to send at you
* I don't have to compromise between stealth and loud loadouts
* The gun customisation is just a straight "This is better than it was before, to upgrade it again do this"
* I can knife all the Nazis I want without alarms going off

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Is there a way to play the difficulties beta and the VR beta at the same time?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I really like in the Raid that I can just kill as many Nazi guards as I like with my knife

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I'd like to see XP dropped as a mechanic - just make everything unlock with money. We are bank robbers, after all.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Anyone got a good run-down of the whole story posted somewhere, now that we know the end? I haven't really played Payday 2 in a while, but I'm interested in the plot.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

How the hell did any of that get explained to the player in this game about drilling safes and shooting cop-adjacent individuals

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Will say one thing for The Raid, it was good to not have equipment affect your stealth chances, and it was good that you could knife as many guards as you wanted without the alarm automatically sounding.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Did anyone ever made a mod that makes it suitable for fewer players? I remember the bots being a bit terrible in that they don't do objectives, so a single-player round is mostly carrying a hundred bags yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

How are the bots? Do they do mission objectives, or do they just fight?