Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Sperging about Chromatic Aberration and a fix

Have you ever noticed (or been driven insane) by the fringes of red and blue on the edges of objects in game? This is Chromatic Aberration, and this game has it turned up to 11. Here's an imgur album someone made that I am going to liberally steal from.

Here is what Payday 2 looks like by default, notice the colored fringes on the wooden doorframe on the left and the white paper labels on the boxes on both sides:

Here's what it looks like without CA, the colored fringes are now gone and you can more easily read the black text on the white paper labels on the boxes:

I think the CA is a nice effect at the center of the screen by default, it makes things vibrant and feel hyper-real, but it really breaks down at the edges and becomes distracting and ugly. I think the strength should be turned down a lot and preferably be made optional or controllable. In the absence of that...

Here's a patch I found that will disable the color fringe effect: Direct download from BitBucket. The patch contains a .exe that will modify a Payday 2 game file, use at your own risk!. It includes the source code so you can tell exactly what it does, VirusTotal says it's clean, and I am using it happily for what it's worth. AFAIK there's no cheat protection or anything in PD2 so there's no risk of a VAC ban or something like that at this time, and you can always either restore the backup or verify your game cache to replace it.

While we're here, check out the No Dirt Camera mod that removes the grit and stuff from your screen that appears when staring at light sources. That just goes in the mod_overrides folder in the assets folder like normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Can you still have any Dodge chance from perks/decks when wearing an ICTV, or does it completely override?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Psion posted:

don't inline 19MB gifs
Install an extension that converts gif links to gifvs, it will reduce your download time and CPU usage while improving quality. SALR for Firefox will do that for example.