Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

pentyne posted:

Is there a tool to min-max the graphics settings for lower end machines. Godrays will not loving stop auto-activating and I'm running a 560Ti. I think I can drop a ton of the occulsion effects and get high-res textures without getting slowdown.

Start the launcher, hit up Options, and click the Low detail button. From there, increase all options you want to normal, ignoring Godrays. For some reason, this allows Godrays to permanently be turned off, while simply using the dropdown to turn it off will revert each time you start the game. Otherwise, do what the other dudes said above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

did you read the first loving post in the thread? there was a TON of work that went into it

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

LumberingTroll: please add this to the OP

Binary Speech Checks - very simple file that makes Speech checks binary like in New Vegas. This means that as long you meet the requirement you are guaranteed success in speech checks and if you don't then you are guaranteed failure!

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

padijun posted:

Yeah that did the trick, thanks. I tried the perk help thing earlier but I think with perks with more than one word in the name the syntax gets complicated

help "perk name" 0

simply put it into quotes

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Inverness posted:

I want a mod that lets me instruct my companion to run off and dump his or her entire inventory into a previously marked container back in my settlement.

Torchlight 2 solved the too much loot problem back in the day by having a button that sends your pet to sell off everything he is holding. I want the same poo poo for Fallout 4 so I can just have uninterrupted exploration time without having to go back and dump loot.

This would be great but would almost certainly require GECK to pull off.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Colapops posted:

Are you normally this obsessive over video game boobs

Also, for people who were asking about it: apparently it is totally possible to change weapon ammo types and receivers and such as demonstrated by this mod that gives the .44 a .38 receiver
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4173/

And unrelated to that, here is a mod that I think I am totally gonna use because I lose dead bodies all the time. This mod adds drugs to highlight corpses with a Skyrim style detection effect.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4138/

I spent loving 30 solid loving minutes last night trying to find a Legendary Raider who was goo-ified by a Mirelurk Queen next to a loving stream in the middle of a giant pile of green scrub and bushes. Thank you for posting this.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I downloaded this, started following Professor Goodfeels, and on our way we found some ghouls - my explosive shotgun turned him hostile to me, and now he's hostile to me and unkillable. I downed him, ran back to Sanctuary, slept for 72 hours, and he's still in the same place and he's still aggressive against me. Just as an FYI for anyone who decides to try this out - don't try to play God, y'all.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Worked! Thanks. Somehow managed to console command him back to Sunshine Tidings and was able to put him back into his patrol state. Here's hoping he doesn't vanish or die again.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4760/

Better Weapon Mod Descriptions

Here's an example, using the Hunting Rifle .50 Receiver:

Old Description: Exceptional Damage. Changes ammo type to .50 Caliber. Improved rate of fire.
Okay, we get the picture. Kind of vague though.

Better Weapon Mod Descriptions: +75% Damage. Uses .50 Rounds. +25% Fire Rate. -25% Reload Time.
Ah, actual numbers. And who knew that the .50 Receiver actually increases Reload Speed by 25%?

These kinds of changes have been applied to all weapon mods (including unique weapons and legendary modifiers) in the game, revealing actual numbers and sometimes even previously unknown modifiers for those who like their descriptions actually, well, descriptive.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

FrancoFish posted:

Has there been a mod made yet or some setting to change the color of persuasion attempt text? I can never tell when there is a yellow attempt since I just see green.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2100/

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

gromdul posted:

Sounds doable. Many modders have made custom stand alone clothes. You could make a custom set of armor, with a custom texture. But for automation, that's not possible. I use a set of batch files to equip my settlers, saves me a lot of time from looting and upgrading and giving a gently caress. So now I just type "bat guard" after making a text file and depositing it in my FO directory. This gives my "guard" a full set of combat armor (random light/sturdy/heavy unfortunately) and a random assault rifle with road leathers and some ammo. If I open up the trade dialog first the game will mostly do what I want it to.

........gently caress. I've wasted so much time.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Supposedly setting up shops in your settlements- and making those settlers happy- gives you a stream of caps? I don't think there's anything in any menu to tell you what you're making or even if you're making any money (but I mean I'm sure that feature couldn't get bugged out :allears:) but if true that's a nice feature throughout the game to help you buy some of the legendary weapons some merchants sell.

On the level 3 shops, you get 100 caps per day (might be in game week, actually not sure) deposited directly into your workbench. There is a break-even point on caps spent to build versus caps returned, but it's not very good.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

There's a mod or command to lock down junk you place in the world, right?

Some settler came through and took a bunch of my cram and knocked over all my hard work on my general store :argh:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4270/

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

“We had two bags of Rad-Away, seventy-five pellets of Mentats, five inhalers of high powered Ultra Jet, a salt shaker half full of Buffout, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of Bourbon, a quart of Rum, a case of Gwinnett Ale, a pint of Bobrov's best moonshine and two dozen Addictol. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious chem collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.”

Otacon fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 16, 2016

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

QuantaStarFire posted:

Is the Legendary Modification mod broken for anyone else, specifically the part that allows 2 legendary mods? The original works fine (and makes legendary drops far less disappointing), but when I add in the double-mod plugin, I can't add a second mod to anything. The dude also implemented it really weird by making you craft an entirely new gun just to get the 2nd mod slot rather than just adding the 2nd slot to the existing guns, which is, like...why? Why would you do it that way? :psyduck:

I too was unable to get it to work correctly.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I'm running pretty sparse in the mods department, but having fun in Survival at level 70-something.

Using

Lowered Weapons - lowers your weapon while running
Armorsmith Extended - tons of armor modifications
Legendary Helmets - gives a chance for enemies to have legendary helmets as loot
Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch - fixes some quests
FAR Faraway Area Reform - helps with some FPS drops I have
Shell Rain - empty shells/cartridges stick around for a while (MAH IMMERSHIN!)
Arbitration - npc combat changes
Dialogue Settlers Fix - settlers no longer think you're a synth out to get 'em (or at least stop telling you that)
Loot Detector - while your weapon is out, any bodies will glow if they have loot in them
No BOS Vertibird Random Encounters - i play a sneak build and those vertibirds fuckin suck
Bottles' Label Overhaul - gives bottles labels
Enhanced Blood Textures - more gore
Fallout 4 - Texture Optimization Project - better FPS for me
Raider Overhaul - adds some new raider armors/clothes
Better Settlers - settlers come stock with better armor/gear
Don't Call Me Settler - renames all settlers to easily differentiate them / their roles
Reduced NPC Greeting Distance - keeps things quieter, less settler random chatter
Settlement Management Software - allows me to keep track of workbench locations/settler jobs/caravans
Super Mutant Redux - gives supermutants armor and adds a few, as well as makes Strong one of the better companions in the game
Immersive Vendors - makes the vendor stalls look great
Spring Cleaning - allows me to scrap random crud from settlements like bushes or old houses
More Where That Came From - Diamond City Radio Edition - like 100+ new songs, gets rid of the DJ's intros
Elvani's Track Pack - Diamond City Radio like 30+ new songs, re-adds the DJ's intros
Place Everywhere - allows me to place poo poo in settlements pretty much anywhere
Full Dialogue Interface - no more HATE NEWSPAPERS and makes it easier to know what responses I'll give NPCs
Achievements - loading mods in Fallout prevents you from getting achievements, this allows them (REQUIRES F4SE)
Fr4nsson's Light Tweaks - slightly better lighting

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

oh hey far harbor just downloaded

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Attention Far Harbor Residents:

If you're crashing when you bring up your Pipboy, it might be because of the Full Dialogue Interface mod. Simply deactivate/uninstall the mod, or alternatively remove anything from the /Data/interface folder. Otherwise, you'll need to wait for an update from FDI.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

atomicgeek posted:

Do you have the update for 1.5 (in the optional files section)? It wasn't a super obvious update, and was supposed to fix...strings. I'm not a programmer, I like to think the game is held together with actual strings and tape.

Thanks, I'll look into it!

Sjonnar posted:

How much is involved in updating that kind of mod, anyway? Does the author have to manually transcribe every line of dialogue or is there a file somewhere with the text already in it (for subtitles, for example) that he points the mod to?

It was the .swf files in my Data/interface folder causing me to crash, so I assume it has something to do with flash

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Azhais posted:

Are there any mods out there that help settler pathing/let you define settler pathing? I'm tired of settlers just standing on the floor below their beds staring upward because they can't figure out how to go up two stairways. Or how there's literally no pathing up the stairs to the dirt area by Jamaica plain and you can't even force move a settler up the front steps.

Pathing is pretty horrible to implement, HOWEVER stock floors (and stock stairs) have their own navmesh built in, so you could technically use those and either embed/place on top of the troublesome terrain, using Place Everywhere. I found this mod for Rebuilt Walls at The Castle - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8680/

and while it looks awesome, there's no navmesh whatsoever, which forced me to place walkways using concrete foundations and stairs on the places where the settlers could no longer reach. In the end it was worth it though, and my pathing problems (at least at The Castle) were fixed.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Azhais posted:

I am only using stock stuff. Starlight drive in, placed a ton of foundations to give a flat build area for a big concrete house. Built some stairs up. Made a greenhouse on one arm, and a main house on the other. That much works great, they go up the stairs to the foundation top, go farm, they'll wander into the main floor and bang on my weaponsmith bench, the usual.

Problems arise with the second floor (which is actually the third, main floor is two stories high because I like the workshop more open and it works better for an indoor bazaar with stock stores). They go halfway up the stairs, then stop. I'm actually wondering now if the game simply can't handle two stairs on the same tile. I've got it two wide with two ups, 90 degree turn, then two up to the upper landing. Next time I go out there I might pull out two of those stairways and see if they can go up to one floor, walk to the next floor tile, then go up again. It'll look uglier but if it works I'll get over it.

Sounds like you're running into the maximum height problem. I have the same issue in my 30+ settler high-rise Hangman's Alley. There's mods that will remove the height restrictions - I'll probably end up using this one: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3528/

Basically, each settlement has a maximum height for FLOOR objects that can be built - while you're able to place a premade floor+ceiling piece, only the floor (and maybe a foot or two above it) is within the maximum height - anything beyond that and YOU can still get up there, while settlers will freeze midway up the stairs.

Like you said, try reworking it a little bit to add a few extra feet of room and see if settlers can get further up the steps.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Zutaten posted:

Does the Nexus mod manager not communicate with the site to determine whether or not there are new versions of mods out?
It definitely used to do that for Skyrim, where the version column would show, for example, 1.0/1.1, implying I had 1.0 and should update to 1.1.
But I just ran through my mods and discovered I had several that were out of date yet the mod manager didn't show it?

I had this issue too.

Green arrow points to a bar that needs to be dragged to show the version column which for some idiotic reason is hidden because it's smooshed together

Red arrow is the Check for Updates button.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Zutaten posted:

Thank you! I guess it used to do it automatically back in the Skyrim heyday, but must have changed to a button sometime between then and now.

There's an option to set the number of days to check for updates, by default its at 3 days, I changed it to 1 day.

That version column is also where the icon for a new mod update goes!

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Well, something DEFINITELY got screwed up with my game, and I'm left scratching my head on what happened. When I go to target something in VATS, the camera does this weird bobble, where it zeroes in on the enemy, then goes downward almost into the ground, and then zooms way out on the enemy. Every shot (except forced crits) will miss. When I force a crit (or just manage to kill an enemy normally) the enemy corpse is barely affected by gravity, and will either continue moving in the direction it was charging in, or will shoot up into the air a thousand feet.

Only mods I installed since just before this started happening are Build High (which removes settlement boundaries) and the new versions of FDI and Lowered Weapons, so I'm at a complete loss. Anyone have any ideas?

Segmentation Fault posted:

What of the DLC available so far should I get?

Wasteland Workshop is just additional settlement stuff, Automatron is a fairly short quest and new random-spawn enemies, and Far Harbor is a giant landmass full of quest goodness. Get Automatron and Far Harbor

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

staberind posted:

I have lowered weapons, seems to be fine so far, but something else is making my game mong out.
...do you have a ui mod? like Def_xx?

Nope! But in true fallout fashion, I exited FO4, removed Build Higher, restarted FO4, and the issues are gone. Very strange! Not sure if it was Build Higher doing it, or something else.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I think I'm in love with barns...

Top floor: rooms

Main floor: Vendors, Crafting

Bottom floor: Power armor display, and the hatch to my personal bunker

Bunker:

Rest: http://imgur.com/a/FwCBc

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

RaspberryCommie posted:

This rules. What mods are you using?

Also is any of that Far Harbor because I don't have that yet.

Thanks! Yeah, barns (and the concrete buildings/posts) are all DLC.

Couldn't have done it as easily without Place Everywhere and Vanilla Extensions. The extra workbenches are Armorsmith Extended, the filled vendor stalls are Immersive Vendors, some parts are from Homemaker, I'm also using Longer Power Lines, the awesome Raider Power Armor designs are from Raider Overhaul, a few pieces from Stairs Ladders Ramps and the bunker is the storage warehouse from Basement Living. That's literally it for the building mods I've been using.

I really really love Basement Living. Funny story, I had originally done my BIG SETTLEMENT at Hangman's Alley, but got pretty upset with a few things involving 25+ settlers there. Scrapped it all, and was trying to figure out how to move all my power armor frames, collected weapons and armor, and pretty much everything I had stored in Hangmans. Found out by accident that if you rebuild the exact basement (in my case, the Storage Warehouse) in a new settlement, it transfers all of its contents instead of making a new cell. Stuffed all of my goodies into it, scrapped everything in Hangmans, built my bunker in Starlight Drive In, and bam! Everything in my basement was moved over. Really great mod, and makes Radstorms (and hearing my settlers complain and stomp around everywhere) a thing of the past.

Big Barns are great and I recommend the DLC just so you can build big barns.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Inverness posted:

I'm interested in the new Survival mode but I have two issues with it as it works by default.

The first is saving. Not being able to save when I want is not cool. I need to be able to leave the game when I want and not lose progress. I know there are tweaks to re-enable saving, but is there something like a sleeping bag that you could use that would be more immersive?

The second is travel. Disabling fast travel is fine, but not having alternate means of travel is not. Morrowind had several: ships for coastal towns, stilt-striders for land-based towns, the mark and recall spells, and the divine and almsivi intervention spells. What does Fallout 4 provide? I don't remember how the BoS vertibird works. I haven't seen anything mentioning that the Institute's teleporter can be used once you join them. Are there any mods that cover this base?

If this stuff worries you, thar be PC modz for that.

First is a big one and you can completely customize your entire Survival playthrough and turn off / disable certain features - Rulebreaker: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13054/

There's also different "immersive" mods that either 1) add a craftable sleeping bag you can carry around, or entire campsites you can build, 2) add motorcycles/teleporters/vertibirds for fast travel (think Stagecoaches from Skyrim) or other neat little workarounds like an "Aid" item called QUICKSAVE that you can bind to a button in your favorites list to instantly quicksave anywhere.

Basically, the wasteland is your rotting oyster and it's only cheating if you think it is. Games are made to have fun, and goons usually have fun by breaking games, so I don't see any problems. Literally go hog wild.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Sylink posted:

They do work, but it somehow reverts itself, I suspect during a status change from hunger or whatever.

setav will reset itself based on anything that affects your Strength - including getting into/out of power armor, certain chems, certain ailments, etc.

modav will persist forever.

If you dicked with setav, get into power armor and get out again - your carry weight should go back to what the game thinks it should be. then use modav instead of setav.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Arsten posted:

I think you have that backwards. Doesn't setav set the base value and modav changes that base value, with the mod getting reset on environmental changes (e.g. power armor use)?

in my experiences, no

setav carryweight 1000 will set your carryweight to exactly 1000 and return to stock carryweight after performing an action that adjusts your maximum carryweight
modav carryweight 1000 will permanantly add 1000 to your stock carryweight, and anything that adjusts your maximum carryweight will be added to or subtracted from that stock+modav number

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Segmentation Fault posted:

There aren't any mods to hide hats yet, like Skyrim's Helmet Toggle?

You could probably find one if you search Nexus for invisible armor but I'm not 100% it'd work with hats because of how the game deals with hair.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Basically, from my rudimentary understanding of the gamebryo engine, hairstyles are hats. When you wear a hat or helmet, the engine removes your hair. When you make an invisible hat or helmet, your head is bald. I'm not sure how Skyrim did it differently but I remember it being very difficult to even consider before the geck came out, and haven't read up anything new since we've gotten the geck.

If you find out anything new let us know!

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

SeanBeansShako posted:

GUNS TIME once more.

First off, If you miss the Hunting Revolver from FNV if you have the Far Harbour DLC you can go nuts once more pretending your Charles Bronson gunning down some no good punks.

I've been playing as a nothing-but-pistols guy (level 160 what up) and was pretty upset that the only guns I've been using since like level 30 were Deliverer and a Two-Shot .44. I went ahead and installed this .50 Desert Eagle and it's beautiful. I figured out how to add legendary amods to weapons and turned it into a Two-Shot and it's been very good to me, doing only about 5% more damage than my Two-Shot .44 but offering a max clip of 14 and a faster reload compared to the .44. Also it's gold!

I will check out this Revolver too now!

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

This is awesome, and I fixed the problem I was having with it.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 4, 2016

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I'll have to go through my mod list, but one of my mods definitely adds two short guard lookout towers that provide 5 or 6 defense. Will check when I get back from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

AwkwardKnob posted:

Is it really hard and uncommon for people to create new art assets in mods? I was looking, and it seems like there aren't any mods for different types of guard posts. That really surprised me, because with all the other mods available, it looks really loving weird to plop a big wood, steel, and barbed wire pike of junk in the middle of everything.

I just got home and checked - definitely seems that Homemaker adds two guardpost towers as well as a floormat (and possibly sandbags but I'm not sure if that's homemaker or not)

Here's the two towers:

(has a built in ramp)

(needs its own staircase)

• Locked thread