Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i'm not sure why you're criticizing the most well-designed block in that stretch of midway. if you take the couple of blocks to the west, i.e. the one with the Wal-Mart and the one with the "Rainbow", those are a lot worse; the target block makes much more sense in contrast to them. like if you put the target building farther north on that block, it would just create a dead zone next to St. Anthony Ave, much like you see on the other blocks i mentioned. and pedestrian access to that block is actually quite nice: contrary to your claim, pedestrians do not need to ever set foot in the target parking lot (at least on the Hamline side), because they can just walk on the public sidewalk on either the west or east edge of the block, and then go directly to the private sidewalk in front of the target. the stoplights on Hamline in the middle of the block are even fully signed with walk/don't walk and crosswalks for pedestrians. contrast this with those other blocks, which are a mish-mash of crappy little parking-lot fiefdoms that often have poor/no good places for pedestrians to walk to get to the stores on the block

of all the bad urban/suburban experiments and the downtown asphalt wastelands that you can find in MSP, imo that block is nowhere near the top of the list

i still have no idea what parking lot in the north east is supposed to be for

also we all must live within like a mile of each other, i'm one stop away from that target (but i work in mounds view now so lol public transit won't work)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

:blush: i live southeast of there a ways. we could totally do a neighborhood pubcrawl being joeman wingmen (as he tries to score with cougars)

i should add that i don't think that block is actually good, just that it's less bad than most other blocks in midway that have big-box stores. the fact that they slapped down parking all the way to the NE corner of the block confuses me too, because whoever the landowner is could totally fit another little strip-mall or something in it, and it's pretty prime land with the green line stop right there

i'm curious when the demolition is going to begin for the block just east of snelling. can't wait for that shiny new soccer stadium that will never pay a dime to the city in property taxes, thanks mayor coleman :swoon:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i'm not sure why you're criticizing the most well-designed block in that stretch of midway. if you take the couple of blocks to the west, i.e. the one with the Wal-Mart and the one with the "Rainbow", those are a lot worse; the target block makes much more sense in contrast to them. like if you put the target building farther north on that block, it would just create a dead zone next to St. Anthony Ave, much like you see on the other blocks i mentioned. and pedestrian access to that block is actually quite nice: contrary to your claim, pedestrians do not need to ever set foot in the target parking lot (at least on the Hamline side), because they can just walk on the public sidewalk on either the west or east edge of the block, and then go directly to the private sidewalk in front of the target. the stoplights on Hamline in the middle of the block are even fully signed with walk/don't walk and crosswalks for pedestrians. contrast this with those other blocks, which are a mish-mash of crappy little parking-lot fiefdoms that often have poor/no good places for pedestrians to walk to get to the stores on the block

of all the bad urban/suburban experiments and the downtown asphalt wastelands that you can find in MSP, imo that block is nowhere near the top of the list

ehhhhh i guess. i don't go to those other blocks very often, but i stop at target a lot esp when i'm taking the green line home so it's fresh in my mind as a "why did they do it like this" sort of thing.

that whole area between university and 94 is kind of hard to work with, maybe they should have run 94 a little further north along the railroads. idk.

e:

quote:

i'm curious when the demolition is going to begin for the block just east of snelling. can't wait for that shiny new soccer stadium that will never pay a dime to the city in property taxes, thanks mayor coleman :swoon:

saaaame

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

it was probably much easier, politically, to put 94 through that area where they did, versus any other route

e:

also, i should add that i first experienced our soccer team by tagging along with a goon who was one of the organizers of their fan club. he paid for the tickets for me and my then-girlfriend, and produced so many beers from his backpack that i think it was some kind of magic wizardry. super fun and awesome, but i am now a cranky old man who wants people to pay their drat taxes

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 14, 2017

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Endless Mike posted:

awwwwwww poor babies have to walk a whole quarter of a mile? awwwww

uhh obviously the solution here is Xiaomi MiJia Scooters for all

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Elder Postsman posted:

that whole area between university and 94 is kind of hard to work with, maybe they should have run 94 a little further north along the railroads.

but then it would've missed the black people

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

buses own

ive had awesome bus service in plenty of places that arent terrible like the us

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

hobbesmaster posted:

but then it would've missed the black people

we went to this play at the mn history theater a few weeks ago and one of the quotes in the program was "very few blacks lived in Minnesota, but the road builders found them."

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Cygni posted:

in cities that didnt engage in that game, mostly because they were massively white to start with like Seattle, there is almost no stigma at all with bus ridership

getting around Seattle on the bus is great and I'd recommend it over driving which sucks because their traffic is bad

unless you want to get out of the city but do that during non-commute hours for the sake of your sanity

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Elder Postsman posted:

we went to this play at the mn history theater a few weeks ago and one of the quotes in the program was "very few blacks lived in Minnesota, but the road builders found them."

gently caress :smith:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Munkeymon posted:

getting around Seattle on the bus is great and I'd recommend it over driving which sucks because their traffic is bad

unless you want to get out of the city but do that during non-commute hours for the sake of your sanity

seattle's touristy areas are dense enough and traffic-plagued enough that out-walking the bus is a viable strategy

this is both good and bad

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

i visited seattle when i was like 12 and the hybrid overhead electric wire diesel buses fascinated my autistic middle school self

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

mishaq posted:

i visited seattle when i was like 12 and the hybrid overhead electric wire diesel buses fascinated my autistic middle school self

same but I went hiking in nature because my Dad rented a car. He is a good dad.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tbf i get p annoyed by showtime whenever i'd ride the subway in nyc or even on the bart here

but that's more of a failing of enforcement than anything else

ugh I loving hate this. my commute is already lovely enough gently caress off with your terrible show to some other subway car you idiots and let me do my crossword in peace

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

blugu64 posted:

same but I went hiking in nature because my Dad rented a car. He is a good dad.

i went crabbing with my great uncle on the puget sound. a GREAT uncle

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

brb gonna stick this up at my workstation

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Portland will actually be buying articulated buses for a new high-capacity BRT line along Division - one of the worst routes (longest, delayed, heavily used). I suspect that will also mean the entire route will get those bioswale things. Not sure what that will mean for some of the road stretches that are already clogged up or that were already put on a road diet. It's still in the planning stage

This transit project is GREAT for the east Multnomah County residents, makes taking that route as a parallel to the MAX a reality.

Doesn't fix any of the larger issues we as a metropolis have:
the Interstate Bridge capacity and ability to get to Hillsboro/Beaverton, etc from the north
The massive freeway bottlenecks as a result of Portland's freeway revolts and the design of current roads
Continuous growth to the south and west with no new high-capacity roads and poor bus/train coverage aka suburban hell

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Shaggar posted:

if u cant get to and from where you want to go either walking and/or via subway its not worth going or you should just drive.

shaggar likes the japanese model

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

blugu64 posted:

if it's worth going to, there'd be a highway exit for it :colbert:

[looks for the exit number for ur posting]

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
i gave a coworker a ride to work today (his car is in the shop), and we passed a bus with 1 passenger in it. seems very energy efficient to me.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

blugu64 posted:

i gave a coworker a ride to work today (his car is in the shop), and we passed a bus with 1 passenger in it. seems very energy efficient to me.

this is one of my favorite anti- mass transit canards

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sometimes the bus is empty!

~*ignores the other eight hours a day where the bus has 40 people on it*~

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

all I'm saying is think of all the cans of food for the hungry and starving we could make when with the material when we scrap the energy hogging, unreliable, traffic causing busses, and pull up all the pointless passenger rail lines.

infernal machines posted:

sometimes the bus is empty!

~*ignores the other eight hours a day where the bus has 40 people on it*~

yes a bus should be empty during rush hour

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ugh yeah I once passed a road crew and one of them wasn't even shoveling asphalt at the exact second I saw home so he must be just standing around for 8 hours a day wasting my goddamn tax moneys!!! :argh:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
reminder that the retarded texan thinks you can drive to paris from london

blugu64 posted:

lol driving from london to paris is shorter the Dallas to San Antonio, and I definitely fly that one if its a holiday weekend.

i mean the thread has honeypot right in the title c'mon

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
get an amphibious car like in top gear

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
in other mass transit news this is a thing that exists

your commute, solved

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i love how these idiots keep reinventing charter service, and going under because it turns out not enough people want to spend that much money on a less convenient cab

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

did you read the posts directly above it?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

i love how these idiots keep reinventing charter service, and going under because it turns out not enough people want to spend that much money on a less convenient cab

what amazes me is that they thought there was a niche to compete in vs publicly subsidized transit services

my minor train station is on a chariot route and it cracks me up since it's also a VTA stop that buses arrive at synced to the trains

but every day that chariot van is there now picking up like one person

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what amazes me is that they thought there was a niche to compete in vs publicly subsidized transit services

my minor train station is on a chariot route and it cracks me up since it's also a VTA stop that buses arrive at synced to the trains

but every day that chariot van is there now picking up like one person

a guy i know tried to do this twice here in toronto, with routes going between downtown and the yuppie tech hub about 4km west. of course there's a train that runs four times an hour that makes the same trip for $5, and a streetcar that runs every 5 minutes that makes the same trip for $3, but whatever, sometimes those are busy. both attempts ended in months, declaring the project a "success" but wrapping up operations for "reasons".

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

seattle's touristy areas are dense enough and traffic-plagued enough that out-walking the bus is a viable strategy

this is both good and bad

yeah but you do the EMP and Pikes in a day or two and then you gotta get around to the actually good/cool little restaurants and whatnot somehow

also we stayed with friends in Ballard and gently caress driving in from there

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

mishaq posted:

yeah they're neat but I found myself wishing they had air conditioning

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it counts as driving if you sit in your car on the train right

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

only if you make choo choo noises as you pretend you're operating the train

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

the only good use for trains, or do you all hate coral reefs as much as you hate green spaces in cities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KITqzFeJ-7Q

• Locked thread