Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ugh that's the stop by my office...

it's truly amazing seeing 7 streetcars come through within 5 minutes and then none for 27

make queen st a dedicated streetcar line like spadina IMO :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

at the date posted:

The worst things to put on fries that I have heard of, an exhaustive list:

1. poutine
2. mayonnaise
3. cheese
4. ketchup
5. chili

Acceptable things to put on fries, assuming they are already salted:

1. vinegar, maybe
2. nothing

Fight me if you disagree. God grant victory to the just.

your evil knows no bounds and I will actually fight you irl over this

ketchup can get hosed though

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

minivanmegafun posted:

man garlic aioli or béchamel are amazing on fries

also the Toronto streetcar is quaint but stupid. when we were there we gave up and walked a lot. we would have Bixi'd more but my partner had recently stuck a wheel in a decommissioned train siding back home in Chicago and wasn't really in riding shape

I should go back, it's a really quick and cheap flight from Midway to Billy Bishop via porter, and the loonie is doing miserable compared to the American Dollar

im basically the official SA Toronto thread ambassador at this point and I will take you for beer and poutine if you want

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

dev286 posted:

Toronto mixed traffic streetcars are awful compared to true LRT or subways. However even though they get stuck in traffic like a bus, a streetcar is wayyyy more pleasant and comfortable than a bus. Quieter, smooth ride (depending on the driver) and just generally better.

One line of the TTC streetcar (504 King) famously carries more passengers per day than the entire Toronto commuter train network.

But really they should be in dedicated lanes out of traffic or underground but that will never ever happen because "downtown already has enough subways, give some subways to near-rural suburbs"

I purposely take the streetcar to work a lot over the subway even though its a slightly longer ride because the ride is impossibly smooth and pleasant. I get lots of nice sunlight and I can read and listen to music and old ladies are really thankful when you help lift their little shopping cart things off the streetcar for them :3:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

infernal machines posted:

basically, yes, it's called Metrolinx or GO. there's buses on many routes too.

practically speaking, it depends on which "suburbs" and when. only a couple of lines have all-day two-way train service, only one has 20-minute peak service. everything else is into the city in the morning and out in the evenings, buses the rest of the time.

also, when people say "almost rural suburbs" in reference to toronto, they usually mean the old boroughs that amalgamated into the city, and not the actual suburbs. back in '98 the province decided to extend a middle finger to everyone in the metropolitan area by amalgamating the six municipalities into one city. scarborough and etobicoke were small cities in their own right, but very low density. since the amalgamation the residents of these places feel that since the dense city core gets high-order transit, they should too. usually the arguments are centered around what they deserve, as opposed to what the ridership actually dictates.

so we get them scuttling dedicated ROW LRTs in favour of a subway that goes nowhere, serves no one, and seemingly will never be built because the same suburban jackholes refuse to pay the taxes needed to fund them.

also the mayor used his imagineering skills and a whole pack of crayons to devise a plan to use the GO/Metrolinx network for rapid transit within the city, and has been slowly discovering what everyone said when he first came up with it, it's literally impossible to do as planned.

ugggghhhh distilling the last 15 years like that is like drinking concentrated bile ugghh nuke etobicoke

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
god I loving love transit chat I LOVE TRANSIT CHAT

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
im going to take some sweet, sweet transit tonight

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

dazjw posted:

actually once you get a few hours from Tokyo you get to lines like the ōme line that run on the honour system and don't even have gates

this works and people still pay because japan

tbh i would still pay 'cause :canada:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's still the bad guy's headquarters. haha.

!!!!!!!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

lol of the top 4 systems in NA one is in mexico and 2 are in canada :canada:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
the TTC upgraded some routes and there's now a bus that stops 10m from my office, 50m from my gym and then 200m from my house

Thanks TTC

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Finally, air conditioning on the Bloor line

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
god i hope they do it and i get to watch people gnash their teeth into blood and pulp

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

gently caress cars, gently caress the police

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
streetcars actually friggin' rule

i imagine shaggar thinks its like some kind of Dandy horse style thing

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I take the streetcar in Toronto to work every day over the subway and it takes about the same amount of time and I can sit in the sunshine and get a nice breeze through the window and send snapchats to all my pals

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Bloody posted:

streetcars have all the limitations of rail and the limitations of buses and none of the benefits of either

They're a much smoother ride than a bus and are electric. plus they weigh 80,000lbs so it's really funny when people run into them

Also Toronto is making more of them dedicated laneways soon hopefully

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Chris Knight posted:

you haven't lived until you've taken the vomit comet

Just got off it, spectacular as always

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

and there's no comfort advantage to laying rail, because modern buses have rubber tires instead of freaking wagon wheels.

This is just plain wrong, a streetcar has a much smoother ride than a bus, hands down source: I take streetcars and buses every goddamn day of my life.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Chris Knight posted:

plus you get drivers like I used to have on the 506 and now on the 501 who make funny announcements

as everyone is getting off at Yonge, "no, wait, please don't go, I can change, I promise!"

lol

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

no he's cool, the thing being discussed is the literal definition of boondoggle

Yeah it's this

Tory is a bad man

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

[ask] me about how much bombardier loving sucks

[SCREAMS INFINITELY]

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Chris Knight posted:

i've yet to catch a new car on the 514 route, but by itself it's made getting around the college st construction good

It's totally destroyed the 72 Pape bus though, I've had to walk from my gym at Lakeshore and Carlaw up to Gerrard ~11 times in the past 2 weeks because the 72 is alwasy 14+ minutes away, LOL!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

lollllll

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Cygni posted:

fuckin lol

oh my god they did it

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

quotin' this from way back lol

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

jony neuemonic posted:

"green space" is unironically awful and a sure sign your urban design is a disaster.

this is a good article

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I bought one of these "safeguard" window filters a few years ago, that link is to the storefront run by the manufacturer, not sure if you can get it cheaper elsewhere. You get a lot less air throughput since it has a filter and baffles, but hopefully with the benefit of cleaner air. The frame of the unit is pretty nice, I was able to stick each side of it into the grooves for the window frame, and the top and bottom of the frame have rubber strips so when you push the window down onto it it creates kind of a seal. Probably works best if you get several of them and set them up in multiple windows, I just bought the one, so with the way it lowers air-flow it didn't work the best. Eventually I just decided to buy a window air-conditioner.

But lucky you, you don't have to keep your windows open anymore because winter is coming has arrived!! :unsmigghh:

huh, I wonder if this would work to filter out the fumes from people smoking outside my window

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Chris Knight posted:

I need cornohol for my bushole

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
i would love that, i wish i fit in a regular apartment bathtub :(

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
there's a BBC show called Victorian farm where they just live like it's 1860 for a year. They cooked with coal stoves and that sounds unimaginably gross.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Shaggar posted:

if u cant get to and from where you want to go either walking and/or via subway its not worth going or you should just drive.

shaggar likes the japanese model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

blugu64 posted:

if it's worth going to, there'd be a highway exit for it :colbert:

[looks for the exit number for ur posting]

• Locked thread