Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^ :argh:

how'd you get such a good screen shot of my skylines cities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

shaggar do i need to remind you that i'm a licensed transportation engineer

the way you seem to think things work on roads runs counter to an entire body of knowledge that it's literally my job to know

50+ years of study and real world evidence show us that these behaviors are true, it can't really be argued like at all

baby's first shaggaring :allears:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

our third lrt project appears to have secured the local funding in order to apply for the big matching federal money. it's not a super good project. however this is america, so the quality of the project is irrelevant. my guess is that the main opposition (Republican speaker of the state House) is only opposing it because he has noticed that a certain segment of his supporters get really fired up when he talks against it

will this one also be at grade? will it at least have synchronized lights?

i was once waiting to turn left across university and was the only car at the intersection. the light cycled for me, stopping a train

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i hope his heart explodes

the second he walks free from prison after serving his term for those corruption charges he was just indicted with

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

with a Doomtree av you might live here, so: it's along 46th street in Minneapolis, east of the Blue Line station. I have actually never heard of this so it must be either (a) new, or (b) really early in the planning process. it would be a cool place to run a streetcar though imo

its this

they also wan to extend the green line to Eden prairie

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

looking for the word "mechanical stoker" led me to wikipedia and the article is cool

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_stoker

it is pretty badass to think about secondary, smaller steam engines distributed around the locomotive to do work unrelated to the main propulsive task

just a central "bus" of steam driving various engines, with the stoker and spreader given priority

when did they start calling things like that APUs i wonder

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i'm not sure why you're criticizing the most well-designed block in that stretch of midway. if you take the couple of blocks to the west, i.e. the one with the Wal-Mart and the one with the "Rainbow", those are a lot worse; the target block makes much more sense in contrast to them. like if you put the target building farther north on that block, it would just create a dead zone next to St. Anthony Ave, much like you see on the other blocks i mentioned. and pedestrian access to that block is actually quite nice: contrary to your claim, pedestrians do not need to ever set foot in the target parking lot (at least on the Hamline side), because they can just walk on the public sidewalk on either the west or east edge of the block, and then go directly to the private sidewalk in front of the target. the stoplights on Hamline in the middle of the block are even fully signed with walk/don't walk and crosswalks for pedestrians. contrast this with those other blocks, which are a mish-mash of crappy little parking-lot fiefdoms that often have poor/no good places for pedestrians to walk to get to the stores on the block

of all the bad urban/suburban experiments and the downtown asphalt wastelands that you can find in MSP, imo that block is nowhere near the top of the list

i still have no idea what parking lot in the north east is supposed to be for

also we all must live within like a mile of each other, i'm one stop away from that target (but i work in mounds view now so lol public transit won't work)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Elder Postsman posted:

that whole area between university and 94 is kind of hard to work with, maybe they should have run 94 a little further north along the railroads.

but then it would've missed the black people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

reminder that the retarded texan thinks you can drive to paris from london

i mean the thread has honeypot right in the title c'mon

it counts as driving if you sit in your car on the train right

• Locked thread