Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

they don't, hence
you're mixing up quotes. he said it's significantly cheaper than light rail for similar service, but to deliver service similar to heavy rail costs a similar amount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the brooklyn<=>queens streetcar project is the dumbest thing i've ever heard of

fortunately there's no fuckin way it will get built. by the time they break ground, either the city's surplus will have evaporated, de blasio will be out of office, or both

fun fact: brooklyn/queens used to have a massive streetcar network that connected them. it got shut down in favor of buses, because they were faster, cheaper, and more convenient.

why the gently caress are we looking at $2.5 billion to re-create one line from a system that didn't work in the 1940s?

dc did it! it's a huge boondoggle that still isn't usable but i'm sure it won't be a problem at all for new york city!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mishaq posted:

the h street streetcar is such a loving joke

just have a few accordion buses run extremely frequently on that route, with decent late night service

that's the obvious solution, but clearly spending years tearing up the street, running overhead lines, and testing the streetcars makes for better press? i guess?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

speaking on the h st line specifically, the neighborhood revitalization gentrification was happening well before they ever broke ground on the rails, so that's not really a huge consideration.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the pug and the argonaut are still cheap.

so they're packed, also.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

opm has governmetn workers for unscheduled telework/leave which will alleviate a bunch of it, but obviously not all. tons of people gonna be hosed

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i consider it more of an uber for parking spaces

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

we got a streetcar line and it's a comically mismanaged joke that's barely useful. but at least it's free for a bit, so i guess there's that

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nah, shaggar lives in maine. living 30 miles from your place of work would be close.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cygni posted:

thanks my man, i got lots more over here cause the thing about transit is that its cool but also good

i like things that are cool & good

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

looks about right. i drove home and parked in what seemed to be the peak of the storm and stepped out into ankle-deep running water

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mishaq posted:

what exactly is wmata supposed to do about flash flooding to "unsuck"

nothing. unsuckdcmetro is just a lovely Twitter that complains about anything possible regardless of whether it's something that's actually wmata's fault or not.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

meanwhile dc had street cars constructed and delivered on schedule for the street car line that hadn't even broken ground

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mishaq posted:

there's nothing to be proud of about the dc street car line

oh no, that was an example of being terrible in the opposite direction.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bloody posted:

your state is a piece of poo poo

new York city is that way and it's insanely stupid. staying in the bike lane is a great way to die

bicycling in nyc is a great way to die

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

metro announcements are all said live by the operator and range from low-pitched grumbling that's not actually useful to upbeat, cheerful operators you get annoyed with after two stops. except for the new trains that are text to speech. buses don't have anything at all

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red Square Bear posted:

Systems should provide information to users in a form that is understandable both in terms of language and cultural context, hth.
navigation saying "west" is more appropriate since people who don't live there are less likely to understand local cultural context and will need accurate, useful navigation more than locals. locals will just know it's "wrong" and move on with their lives.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is some quality fishmeching. it's got the backpedal that's disguised as "well this is the real issue", the scientific-sounding assertion that comes with no sourcing, and the little hint of paternalism. good work

also i just remembered that i actually tracked down the dallas/ft. worth thread a while back and asked the goons from there how they pronounce 35 E/W down there, because i was curious:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032538&pagenumber=65&perpage=40#post449485946

but really, you should post the settled science that mndot and txdot are clearly ignoring about "accurate" and "useful" naming of roads, and/or that google is relying on here. i mean clearly that is the reason the google lady says it that way right
"e" stands for "east." "w" stands for "west." i'm not sure what more "science" you need. basically:

Bloody posted:

getting mad over w being pronounced west in a context where w means west is kind of weird

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i don't know why you would say "double-you" instead of "west" but saying an abbreviation instead of the full word is common. i still wouldn't expect a gps to say "penn av" like people here say instead of "pennsylvania avenue"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

when the h st streetcar opened, a local radio show was talking about it and a guy called in trying to explain why it was good (it's not) and the host finally called him out that he was trying to say that it will have fewer black people than the buses on the exact same route.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

why would that be the case?

the streetcar goes from union station to the anacostia along h st/benning road. the x2 bus goes out to minnesota ave on the east end and lafayette square on the west (a much longer, more useful distance), so it's going to be used by local (black) commuters a lot more. the street car is primarily intended to shuttle non-locals (white) to the slowly gentrifying atlas district to drink.

on the plus side the streetcar is free because dc never bothered to install pay terminals in the several years they were sitting in a trainyard waiting for the rails to be built nor in the multiple years they spent testing the cars without passengers

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah, it's not exactly the same, i guess that is important.

and no, bus service is the same as far as i'm aware. they're owned and operated by different authorities.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

that said, gpses are dumb and inconsistent. sometimes i hear them call the quadrants here "ENN DOUBLE YOU" instead of "NORTHWEST" or whatever. they almost always called the N/S directionals in arlington just the letter, probably because they stick them at the end of the street for whatever reason

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i sure hope this thing gets built

http://www.georgetownrosslyngondola.com/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i live across the street from a national park

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

theodop posted:

hey

mini metro is a fun game on aynroid and stebephone and stimulates my transit autism

thanks

yeah i got it on steam ages ago and it's cool + good

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the drunk bus in college was free for students which owned

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fart simpson posted:

i'd rather have a compact city where i can take the train to walkable neighborhoods than a strip of trees in the middle of the road that i can't walk to
people itt conflate urban greenspace with parks.

parks are good. greenspace is not.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

it is extremely ok to refer to washington national as DCA instead of using that man's name to refer to a loving airport

shame about the statue of him out front

i fully expect the epa building to be renamed the trump epa building at some point in the future (for the tiny little bones of the epa that exist at that point)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

transit.app is v. good

yeah

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bloody posted:

where is the source list for this i want to see where good cities rate

google is hard

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=198942

Endless Mike