Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Grandmaster.flv posted:

traffic diets and traffic calming own

mega greedo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

yippee cahier posted:

in a grid, are alternating direction one way streets more efficient?

yep pairs of each are called couplets

one way streets in general are more efficient and it should be legal to smash in someone's windows if they double park

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

pointsofdata posted:

We're laughing at some stupid Chinese proposal but it's still way better than the hyperloop

earlier this week i attended a technical luncheon where the topic was the california high speed rail project's progress

there are always a handful of students at these things and at the end one of them asked if the hyperloop was being considered by caltrans

the entire audience of engineers chuckled and the speaker went OH THE HYPERLOOP THAT'S THE TECHNOLOGY POWERED BY ITS USERS SCREAMS and i nearly fell outta my chair

two of my bosses were there too and apparently know this guy and have invited him to the company picnic so i'm really hoping he comes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
buses are crap b/c they hafta use surface streets and typically share the road w/ traffic and can't preempt traffic signalization and this all makes them slow and impossible to accurately or consistently schedule

long haul buses are more ok tho

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

bump_fn posted:

agreed but if ur dealing with a local govt as incompetent as useless as chicago you can get a bus line to cover a poor neighborhood much more easily than getting proper subways and trains running through. id rather we have a proper radial beltway train system but given how much worse it could be ill take it

its best use case is as a "bus bridge" stopgap measure in situations like when you've gotta do critical repairs to other, better systems

but yea long term it's just the barest of bare minimum service for poor folks

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

bump_fn posted:

is there a proper name for the radial +spokes style layout like the Moscow metro cause that's the best

spoke-hub layout

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i helped design part of the new orleans streetcar system and that section of the expansion is gonna be excellent for getting tourists from the bed and breakfasts in the marigny and bywater over to the downtown area w/o makin them walk thru the treme ghetto or the sketchier parts of the quarter

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bloody posted:

streetcars have all the limitations of rail and the limitations of buses and none of the benefits of either

it's way more awesome when a streetcar plows into some dumbass driver tryin to cut across the tracks

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Grandmaster.flv posted:

is the treme Baltimore level sketchy?

wait what

are you asking b/c black folks live there

it's just the oldest historically black neighborhood in the city and has the lafitte projects inside of it

lotta poors live there but it's mostly fine if you're a white local (black people shoot eachother there sometimes)

since it borders the quarter there's just a lotta tourist muggings but i used to park my car there at night when i'd visit friends that live on the edge

also there are a lotta airbnbs there which is hilarious

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Grandmaster.flv posted:

no I meant in terms of lack of infrastructure and maintenance and city services. I know nola is doing a ton of renovation but is that just one of the forgotten neighborhoods?

well they're currently building the streetcar expansion along one side

so along that corridor there's lots of new development

but no it's not gentrifying like other nearby areas are, at least not yet

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

out of curiosity, how drunk do you have to be to get booked in the south?

that depends on if you're driving and when the last time you had a haircut/shaved and if you're wearing a collared shirt

you can be missing like one of these but it'll cost you money and ofc this presupposes that you pass the paper bag test

also if your parents raised you right and you say all your sirs in a nonsarcastic way this is absolutely critical

but yea you meet these reqs and the south is basically a hosed up playground where you can yell at cops if you're clean cut enough

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
the most infuriating thing i ever saw was when my college installed a roundabout and slapped up stop signs at each approach

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

2 trains. they crashed in2 each other

wicked

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

mishaq posted:

shagger is usually wrong but sometimes right

what is a shaggar? a miserable little pile of bicycle parts

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Endless Mike posted:

bicycling in nyc is a great way to die

my mom got struck by a biker in park slope on a sidewalk near the park and broke her arm

the biker busted out a buncha his teeth as he slid facefirst along the pavement and his face swelled closed and bitched up his brain or smth

she said that a lady w/ a stroller nearby had a bloody tooth land in it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i see nerds zooming around in san jose on those electric monowheel things and electric skateboards on the sidewalk all the drat time

they can easily make 20mph and are p quiet so i suppose it's only a matter of time until they're relegated to the bike lanes after pedestrian mutilation

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
if they aren't already

i mean it's a motorized conveyance p sure those aren't kosher on the sidewalk unless it's a wheelchair

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/IslesofErin/status/757364207859986432?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

those replies tho

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

you've gotta earn that cheevo tho

better question is why bars are allowed to have parking

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

minivanmegafun posted:

my bar has one spot for the bartender, that's it.

p cool

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

pointsofdata posted:

I doubt the engineers working on it can either

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lutha Mahtin posted:

its probably super fun to be a well connected engineer or architect in china right now. you can make all kinds of crazy poo poo and it doesn't need to be very safe, just play the game right and you can stack mad yuans too

lol if you think there are an abundance of chinese architects practicing their art

maybe a few in taiwan or hk

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
yea my joke was that nothing is planned out beyond the basic barebones of structures in mainland china

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

the scale makes it so much worse

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i'm the pedestrian-level boxfan

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
also they are chinese height

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

1488 posted:

6.88976 ft of sweet sweet clearance

im dying

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the new york commuter trains don't use any text-to-speech, they actually recorded a dude narrating all the possible messages. he is an old-time radio announcer, the kinda guy who tries to sell you furniture or a used car or something

this is extremely grating after the second or third time you hear it

at least text-to-speech is bound by a neutral tone

edit: and to make it even worse, not even the poor idiots who ride bus/subway can escape the terror of the commuter rail narrator. the deafening station announcements are done by the same guy. AND NOW FOR AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM THE NEW YORK EMM TEE AAA. PROTECT YOURSELF: SUCK DICKS IN A BATHROOM. KILL YOUR CHILDREN, THEN YOURSELF.

PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING DOORS is just upbeat enough to make me irrationally angry after like half an hour of it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i loved hearing the parisian train lady recordings tho since they pronounce all the station names frenchwise, including the american-named places like washington and roosevelt stations

i would make sweet sweet love to the french train lady

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

minivanmegafun posted:

we have full LTE coverage in the subway in Chicago :confuoot:

it's so fuckin easy to use

just a big loop w/ a line goin out in each cardinal direction

more cities should be burned down imho

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is some quality fishmeching. it's got the backpedal that's disguised as "well this is the real issue", the scientific-sounding assertion that comes with no sourcing, and the little hint of paternalism. good work

also i just remembered that i actually tracked down the dallas/ft. worth thread a while back and asked the goons from there how they pronounce 35 E/W down there, because i was curious:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032538&pagenumber=65&perpage=40#post449485946

but really, you should post the settled science that mndot and txdot are clearly ignoring about "accurate" and "useful" naming of roads, and/or that google is relying on here. i mean clearly that is the reason the google lady says it that way right

wow y'all sound absolutely retarded then

esp since the letter W takes three times as long to say as WEST

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
also fyi when it's an interstate it's not up to the state DOT to decide anything since those are federal roads

and guess how the federal government decided that they're designated

hint: what's printed on the smaller signs is an abbreviation

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it's not really law - the decisions are made by the AASHTO committees who are responsible for the interstate numbering system (they've been phasing out directionally suffixed routes for years)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
why would you say DOUBLE-U instead of whatever word that it's abbreviating in the first place

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cygni posted:

that dont locally pollute, move 4 times as many people, are more reliable, generally have much more grade separation, and are much harder for lovely local politicians to get rid of

as an engineer my favorite at-grade light rail lines have much more grade separation

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cygni posted:

reminder that adding 1 lane of highway in semiurban areas (without reconstructing any bridges or intersections) cost upwards of $8 million a mile, not counting any maintenance, and serves roughly the same number of cars. also highways, you know, fill up again and make traffic worse

basically the best way to invest in transportation of any kind is to have already done in 60 years ago

p much tho i'd estimate at closer to 10 or 11 based on right of way acquisitions nowadays (more where even the nowhere land is expensive like california)

and interchanges (ramps) and bridges are hellishly expensive all by themselves which can easily dwarf the rest of the project's cost just for rehabbing or replacing one or two "minor" ones

roads are a big stupid waste of money

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Beast of Bourbon posted:

what kind of train is the best train?

the kind where a buncha chicks bang me in a row

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Wild EEPROM posted:

i work for a transit company and this makes me the most qualified person in all of yospos to talk about transit

i've helped design light rail projects and also have enough autism to enjoy trains

checkmate

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Wild EEPROM posted:

I ride a train every single day and they pay me to do so.

*surreptitiously hides boner*

well i ride one to commute most days and my boss gives me extra money to do so tho it doesn't cover the entire monthly pass

*boner evaporates in shame*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

• Locked thread