Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jimmy Carter posted:

Cubic runs this one.

the rollout of this was one of the most botched transit tech systems ever.

Chicago issued NFC passes that could also be used as debit cards so that they could hopefully skim off transaction fees when people used them to pay for regular things.

when the system rolled out, people were regularly being either not charged despite tapping their card, or were double/triple/quadruple charged. I remember visiting my parents and just being waved onto the bus because the reader was just so hosed. It took them the better part of a year to get it barely functional.

the subway readers never give me trouble but I swear the bus ones fail like 10% of the time and j feel like an idiot and there's a line of people behind me getting angry

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

theflyingexecutive posted:

lmao forever if your trains don't run 24 hours

theres a reason boston has an inferiority complex

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
I ride the bus to and from work and I like it since the bus is 90% hospital employees

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
people who don't like buses are just racist Bostonians

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jimmy Carter posted:

G train best train

Jimmy Carter posted:

you never go through Manhattan.
:raise:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
thee honey pot is that u have to fist shgger

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

minivanmegafun posted:

shitpostin from the cta subway where I get five balls of t-mo LTE.

cta ftw

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
didn't include jewfro in the list

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

rjmccall posted:

i am visiting my brother's family, but can't stay with him because reasons. my rental car has a flat tire, and it appears to be impossible to get it taken care of on christmas. we intentionally picked a hotel near enough to their house that we could walk, so it wouldn't be that much of a problem, but various people have insisted that my brother pick us up instead, partly because there is a section of this walk that's a country road without much of a shoulder. it is the sort of offer that is difficult to refuse in a family context. my brother has four kids, and he hosted a christmas dinner for like twenty people total yesterday, so this was actually a pretty big imposition, and it was both difficult to get in touch with him (because he was running around away from his phone a lot) and took a long time for him to come over (because he needed to get the turkey in first, i think), so we ended up waiting at the hotel for about an hour so that we could take a three-minute drive

christmas with family is both a madhouse and really wonderful

did the rental not have a spare tire or do you not know how to change a tire

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Beeftweeter posted:

accela or whatever it was called still blew when i took it literally once because it was almost 4x the price as a plane ticket at the time and 3x slower

the prices are nearly the same now though but flying takes less than an hour

I took the Accela from NYC to Boston a few times and it was worth it to not deal with flying. also it's easy to work on the train

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

triple sulk posted:

acela first class owns

qft

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jimmy Carter posted:

New York gives up and announces its futuristic ticketing solution:

motherfucking QR codes

yes lets put a payment system that relies on good image quality in a dirty and vandalism-prone environment

loving

lol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
I liked the Moscow train system there were always trains running and they had a counter showing you another one would come in like 90 seconds or w.e also once at about 8 am I saw a still extremely drunk person tumble backwards down the hella steep escalators . wonder if they died

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

minivanmegafun posted:

the RTA has goroo.com but I don't think anyone uses it

what's a good free iPhone train/bus tracker for the cta? I have a bunch of website trackers bookmarked but that seems dumb

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Smythe posted:

this is loving bullshit.

it's Boston of course it's bullshit

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
talking to a friend in boston and i was just reminded that green line B runs on comm ave but green line C runs on beacon. great troll or greatest troll?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

fart simpson posted:

fun fact if you're ever in shenzhen you can ride the bus for free because im pretty sure the drivers dont have authority to physically remove people from the bus. i used to see a family that just boarded and never paid and got into an argument every time but never got kicked off

depending where you are inc hciago the other passengers might remove you for holding up the bus if you refuse to pay

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
buses are useful in chicago for getting to certain areas but id prefer to get somewhere by subway

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

buses are crap b/c they hafta use surface streets and typically share the road w/ traffic and can't preempt traffic signalization and this all makes them slow and impossible to accurately schedule

long haul buses are more ok tho

agreed but if ur dealing with a local govt as incompetent as useless as chicago you can get a bus line to cover a poor neighborhood much more easily than getting proper subways and trains running through. id rather we have a proper radial beltway train system but given how much worse it could be ill take it

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
is there a proper name for the radial +spokes style layout like the Moscow metro cause that's the best

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Shaggar posted:

I'm ok w/ paying for good infrastructure like subway

tell this to boston tia

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Progressive JPEG posted:

wow look at this guy trying to find an empathetic cop anywhere

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

infernal machines posted:

not very carefully

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Mr. Nice! posted:

railcars built to the us standards would still mostly be intact? no!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

mishaq posted:

good job CTA

i know what each word means individually but i cant parse this 'sentence'

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Lutha Mahtin posted:

uber is available in many cities, yes

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
I ride a bus to work for free

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

same

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

blugu64 posted:

it's because trains are very dangerous

we're not talking about europe

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

super nailgun posted:

Portland got a lot of snow this past couple days. Broke something like a forty year record. Also managed to cause a MAX derailment. No injuries and wouldn't really be a big thing except it happened at one of the unfortunate bottlenecks in the Rose Quarter that affect multiple lines :rip:

http://katu.com/news/local/max-train-completely-off-tracks-in-derailment-at-rose-quarter-expect-major-delays

A Streetcar Named Disaster

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

minivanmegafun posted:

the suburban trash around Chicago is angry because the new Metra seats don't flip like the old ones

but they have cupholders now

I've never understood people who freak out about riding facing "the wrong way" on trains/subways

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Wheany posted:

some get carsick when facing the wrong way

ohhhh weird. i guess i spent enough time on the MBTA and sitting extremely unsafely in the back trunk area of a station wagon as a kid

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

aside from the risk of being robbed and/or murdered at night

I have taken the bus home at like 2 am so many times and never been concerned about this

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Chris Knight posted:

toronto renamed their subway lines to numbers for whatever loving reason:
yonge university: line 1
bloor danforth: line 2
scarby rt: line 3
sheppard: line 4

after council poo poo the bed when ford was mayor, they agreed to replace the rt with an extension of the bloor line, rather than replace it wholesale with a new lrt line which would make far more sense

so now it's gonna be lines 1, 2, 4, and I guess 5 when the eglinton lrt is done

good jerb folks! 💯

why didn't they rename it the blood line

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Chris Knight posted:

I need cornohol for my bushole

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's funny b/c everyone who speaks negatively about city living and in particular making GBS threads on the idea of using public transit almost always signals that they don't like being around people, or especially being near people when they have no power of selectivity

urban life owns if you aren't a paranoid misanthrope

i know plenty of people who ascribe to the "buses are for poor people but subways are good" which is p hosed up

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
knew i could count on shaggar to be classist and wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Shaggar posted:

buses are universally terrible idk how you could even debate that. subway is so much better in every way.

buses are used to cover routes for which there aren't subways and are v useful and cool

• Locked thread