Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

I know a guy who works for the company that makes those timetable boards on the platforms, because they have advertising the deployment is tied up in those contracts

i hate those loving things, theres like 15 seconds of information and then 5 minutes of ads with no way to get back to the timetable once the ads start to roll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mishaq posted:

transit passes in vienna, austria are around $400/year for residents for combined bus/streetcar/metro usage

it's almost as if, encouraging people to use transit is cool + good

lol in nyc its well over $1200/yr if you buy monthly passes every month

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mishaq posted:

at least there's a pass

if you take the dc metro 5 days a week you could potentially be shelling out $3000/year, there are no discounted fares except for olds and dc students

meh you dont have to deal with metrocards. a fair trade

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the support contract on metrocards is running out and there is 0 plan to replace them

soon metrocard will join the increasingly large suite of abandoned technologies for which the MTA fabs 100% of replacement parts themselves, in-house, at fabulous expense. a great union jobs program, terrible way to run a transit system.

good, maybe they'll do contactless finally

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the swipe card support contracts run out in 2019.

if they started spending money on a contactless system right now, like, this past week, they could possibly have had a new system rolled out by 2022.

mta purchasing and capital planning is so laughably incompetent that the best case scenario is three years of decreasing liability and spiraling costs. but it's the mta we're talking about. i'll probably be cold in my grave before they replace swipe cards

thats what i thought about mbta & tokens and welp i still have a charliecard

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

a rowdy mullet posted:

Seattle's ORCA contactless system is cool and good, never had an issue with it. We're rolling out a ton of new electric trolleybusses right now and will have light rail to the U-district/Capitol hill in the next few months so things are looking up :thumbsup:

is this like the silver line on the T

if so then lol those are just electric buses

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

theflyingexecutive posted:

lmao forever if your trains don't run 24 hours

this was the thing i liked least about living in boston

tbf the rationale of "cmon guy its old as poo poo we need to work on it" (if true) is a good one, i've been in nyc for like 4 months and i've already had to deal with them doing bullshit repairs on the lines i need to use on the days that i need to use them

for 2 months straight

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol i lived here for a long rear end time about 8 years ago. i just never saw them totally shut down most of a line before

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

A/C over the weekend for the past 2 months or so hasn't gone past jay st in brooklyn or w 4 in manhattan, making it a huge pain in the rear end if you needed to be at fulton/chambers st (in manhattan) like i did

idk if it affected other stations on the same line too, i just know it was a huge pain in the rear end while hungover at 7 am particularly because i'd forgotten alternate routes and the suggested one took me past wjere i needed to go and then back again (lol 5 transfers)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

theflyingexecutive posted:

oh man, I used to live at utica, that A running on the F line was either bullshit or a godsend depending on where I was at the time. where are you hungover at 7 am by Fulton tho????

yeah its garbage because i actually live off the G (:smithicide:) so to transfer there i have to go past jay st anyway. but oh no reason really its just work ruining my weekends

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Phobeste posted:

strong spot, although there's a disturbing number of chipotles popping up

like the combo chipotle/starbucks on myrtle and vanderbilt. bad

lol i live like 5 minutes from there

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
accela or whatever it was called still blew when i took it literally once because it was almost 4x the price as a plane ticket at the time and 3x slower

the prices are nearly the same now though but flying takes less than an hour

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cygni posted:

ive taken acela from DC to NYC or bmore a bunch of times and its def faster than flying if you count early arrival time at the airport and getting to JFK and crap. DC to NYC is 3 hours by acela to penn station, or an hour 15 minutes by air plus early arrival and a cab or subway ride. ill take the train.

also the price fluctuates but northeast regional is normally significantly cheaper than air, and about the same travel times if you include everything. acela is normally faster (and more comfortable) than air, and more expensive. also consistently sold out on prime days. funny enough, acela is normally full of douchey business types while the poors take the plane.

it used to be like $80 boston -> nyc and i haven't had any problems getting to either airport on time. A train to JFK, silver line to logan. flight takes like an hour

in comparison accela was like $300 and took almost 3 hours

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cygni posted:

ur first problem was going to boston as shole!!

if you read really closely you might see that i left boston

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The Leck posted:

went to the new york transit museum and saw some classic trains and a macbook. pretty yospos if you ask me.

is that at hoyt? a friend of mine used to be a subway operator (and holy poo poo they make good money) and he was telling me that it's on the same track as the side that always has the power shut off

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jimmy Carter posted:

New York gives up and announces its futuristic ticketing solution:

motherfucking QR codes

yes lets put a payment system that relies on good image quality in a dirty and vandalism-prone environment

oh god you have to be making GBS threads me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also how is public transport in miami? my gf's parents are going to south beach for a few days and while i could possibly go pick them up and drive them to wherever they want to go (i'm visiting my parents for the next few days about an hour away from there) i don't really want to borrow one of their cars for that

plus no way am i staying in their hotel room so i would have to commute back and forth to do so

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you will need a car.

well poo poo. carting around some old koreans that barely speak english for 3 days will be great

unless it's possible for them to rent one? idk how that works for international people

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mishaq posted:

lol if you plan a trip without thinking about specifically how you're gonna get around based on local availability of transportation

well her parents came to visit her in nyc and she hasn't lived anywhere that doesn't have semi-decent public transportation (chicago, nyc, seoul & tokyo). i don't understand why they want to go somewhere after flying somewhere else but they originally wanted to take her to san francisco, although they didn't realize how far that is from nyc

so she thought a visit to FL before i leave for new york would be a nice surprise even though i go back the day they go back. she has a habit of making last minute long distance travel plans though. so nice of her to tell me literally less than a day before they get here :shepicide:

this is getting a little too cls though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol the stats for the T don't include the green line, the one 99% of peopele i knew in boston lived off of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol holy poo poo

• Locked thread