Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Gene Steratore is a legit ref, maybe that's why the NFL thought he could handle being saddled with the loving worst crew I've seen since the replacement refs were dropped out of a plane somewhere in the middle of the pacific

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

i remember briefly considering buying my Panthers@Falcons tickets early, thinking scalping a pair at 20% face would be hard.

ha

haha

hahahahaha

I've got a friend with season tickets if you're interested in those. I can see how much they want for them. They're not terrible seats. Lower level corner end zones

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

NC-17 posted:

They went to stop by ehud's cubicle.

haha

Intruder posted:

Wait were there really people in the GDT saying Watkins was down in bounds? I wasn't following it last night

Yeah but I just went back and read the discussion and they weren't being dicks at all like my bourbon-addled brain remembers them being, they were just trying to help understand wtf was going on. so it turns out the rear end in a top hat here....... is me

NC-17 posted:

Which is probably what the official was thinking as well.

huh, I thought Mean Gene had been around for a lot longer than 2 years

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Can't afford to pay refs full-time and train the gently caress out of them year-round, no sirree.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

NC-17 posted:

Inadvertent whistle may have been a ref getting scared:

Also, in another fuckup the second White TD should have been blown dead.

Hughes was like 16 yards behind the LOS when that ball was snapped lol.

Obviously all of the misses are unfortunate ones but the White TD is the most interesting one imo because there's good room to discuss "How do we prevent this from happening again?", which is not a conversation the IW/ruling the player in bounds really has outside of "Don't." Chandler running onto the field is forever behind the play. You can see in that first picture that Steratore had just waved the U out of the way and is giving the Ready for Play. How do you catch someone trying to sub on that far behind the play? Gotta figure the wing on that side should be watching that sideline until Steratore says "Ready" over the mic or something, but he's in the process of giving that so even with that happening the H/L's attention will be back toward the line in this case. Maybe the U could also hold over the ball for another second to scan the offensive sideline for any potential substitute? I mean heck he is heading to his position which is in the general direction of where Chandler is, if he looks up he would probably see him on the field and realize "Hm, I should hold up play real quick." 999 times out of 1000 when a team is already lined up like New England is there aren't any substitutes to worry about, but the time they come it needs to be caught. Back judge or the side/field judge (depending on sideline) might should be involved on this one, too. That close to the end zone it will probably be pretty easy to find their key once the action starts so watching the sideline might help. :shrug: No easy answer to mechanics on this one (that I can think of, anyway) but it needs to be figured out.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Soothing Vapors posted:

So where are all those guys from last night's GDT who explained how we were all idiots and Watkins was clearly down inbounds now that Steratore's explanation was more or less psychotic and everyone with officiating experience in the known universe has said the opposite

Turns out a lot of folks who watch football don't know all of the rules because that rulebook is a monster to read, they just pick things up from announcers and extrapolate from there. Can't blame anyone for that but in pretty technical situations it can lead to the wrong conclusions.

e:

Soothing Vapors posted:

huh, I thought Mean Gene had been around for a lot longer than 2 years

Steratore has been around a while, but the HL who made the call that he was in bounds has only been around 2 years. (Fun fact, Steratore also does NCAA D1 Basketball)

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 24, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

kalensc posted:

Can't afford to pay refs full-time and train the gently caress out of them year-round, no sirree.
A bunch of well-off dudes being refs as a second job has practically become a lovely tradition at this point.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

NC-17 posted:

Which is probably what the official was thinking as well.

PAC-12 ref. Makes complete sense now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

chaoslord posted:

Turns out a lot of folks who watch football don't know all of the rules because that rulebook is a monster to read, they just pick things up from announcers and extrapolate from there

I do think they should change the rules that 12 men penalties shouldn't include players clearly running off the field away from the action.

The only time it's used is by offenses trying to get cheap penalties, so I think they should loosen up on that.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

I do think they should change the rules that 12 men penalties shouldn't include players clearly running off the field away from the action.

The only time it's used is by offenses trying to get cheap penalties, so I think they should loosen up on that.

No. Then you introduce judgement into what is currently a very black and white call.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

NC-17 posted:

No. Then you introduce judgement into what is currently a very black and white call.

All you have to do is make sure the person running off has established themselves as a non-runner.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ramadu posted:

PAC-12 ref. Makes complete sense now.

Yyyyep

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

It feels like a meltdown because of the "eat poo poo" stuff you posted

Besides, there are only four or five teams in the NFL that aren't dogshit right now, everyone's on this ride

e: That toxx doesn't help either

It helps me :suicide:

Joey Freshwater posted:

Hahah good lord dude. You're gonna win another game, but if you really want to stick to it, donate the money to charity instead. I already have enough Bucs jerseys that I don't wear.

Aw, you don't want what will undoubtedly be a Revis Buccs Jersey? This has me curious, gonna go check.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 24, 2015

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Nice meltdown :rolleyes:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hey, I'm glad to see the Pac-12's officiating situation gets to be seen by the whole nation, at least!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

AbsolutelySane posted:

They've been awful for the past five years, why worry about them now?

Just started getting back into real football Fandom last year and reading TFF this year. I've been out of the game for a couple years so I missed it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chilichimp posted:

It helps me :suicide:

Aw, you don't want what will undoubtedly be a Revis Buccs Jersey? This has me curious, gonna go check.

Haha looks like it's Freeman at $20. I already have one of those!

e: wtf is this:http://www.nflshop.com/Tampa_Bay_Bu..._Limited_Jersey

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Wait, you're telling me that in 2015 the official NFL team store is still selling Josh Freeman jerseys

TheBuckmister
Oct 18, 2008
The White TD wasn't a mistake by the refs. Chandler never crosses the numbers so he doesn't count as a legal substitution, Bills therefore have no right to substitute.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Even if that's true, which the reading of the rules I saw says it isn't, if a defender is that far in the backfield the play should be blown dead and a penalty assessed

Nov 6, 2002

TheBuckmister posted:

The White TD wasn't a mistake by the refs. Chandler never crosses the numbers so he doesn't count as a legal substitution, Bills therefore have no right to substitute.

What Chandler did would constitute a simulated substitution which per the rules means the defense should be allowed time to adjust.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Wait, you're telling me that in 2015 the official NFL team store is still selling Josh Freeman jerseys

Technically it's their "sale" section but yeah. They're also selling Marc Barron jerseys

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Joey Freshwater posted:

Technically it's their "sale" section but yeah. They're also selling Marc Barron jerseys

Still a few Darren McFadden Raiders jerseys too.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

NC-17 posted:

What Chandler did would constitute a simulated substitution which per the rules means the defense should be allowed time to adjust.

Depends on what constitutes a "simulated substitution" e.g. is it enough that Chandler was on the field and left before reaching the area that would be enough for a real substitution or is it meant to cover Chandler going inside the numbers (the area where the substitution counts) and leaving it again, thereby simulating a substitution.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

I've got a friend with season tickets if you're interested in those. I can see how much they want for them. They're not terrible seats. Lower level corner end zones

yeah that'd be cool.

email me at username at gmail dot com

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Depends on what constitutes a "simulated substitution" e.g. is it enough that Chandler was on the field and left before reaching the area that would be enough for a real substitution or is it meant to cover Chandler going inside the numbers (the area where the substitution counts) and leaving it again, thereby simulating a substitution.

I don't know if there is an official counter argument on that. But literally standing on the field running towards the play is as close to simulated as you can get. Outside of the whole "should have been blown dead anyway" point, I don't think there's a ton of grey on the substitution thing

TheBuckmister
Oct 18, 2008
The rules are pretty precise so it matters a lot. NC-17 makes a good point but we need the NFL definition of simulated sub to see if it is correct. I'll see if I can find it tonight. Not sure what rule Intruder thinks the play should have been blown dead on.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheBuckmister posted:

The rules are pretty precise so it matters a lot. NC-17 makes a good point but we need the NFL definition of simulated sub to see if it is correct. I'll see if I can find it tonight. Not sure what rule Intruder thinks the play should have been blown dead on.

Unabated to the quarterback? Technically true.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

TheBuckmister posted:

Simulated substitution isn't defined, really. Past what NC-17 said, you have two instances where the word simulated shows up in the rules at all.

NFL Rule 5-2-5 Note posted:

Note: The intent of the rule [required substitutes to enter inside the field numerals] is to prevent teams from using simulated substitutions to confuse an opponent, while still permitting a player (or players) to enter and leave without participating in a play in certain situations, such as a change in a coaching decision on fourth down, even though he has approached the huddle and communicated with a teammate. Similarly, if a player who participated in the previous play leaves the playing field by mistake, and returns to the playing field prior to the snap, he is not required to reach the inside of the field numerals, provided that the defense has the opportunity to match up with him. However, a substitute (i.e., someone who did not participate in the previous play) is required to reach the inside of the field numerals.

NFL Rule 5-2-11, Unsportsmanlike Conduct posted:

Using entering substitutes, legally returning players, substitutes on sidelines, or withdrawn players to confuse opponents, or lingering by players leaving the field when being replaced by a substitute, is unsportsmanlike conduct. See 12-3-1-l. The offense is prevented from sending simulated substitutions onto the field toward its huddle and returning them to the sideline without completing the substitution in an attempt to confuse the defense.

If it looks like it's supposed to be a substitution, it's simulating one. You can make the argument that he never got in the numbers so he doesn't fulfill 5-2-5-a and never became a player but him running onto the field IMO is a pretty clear simulation of a substitution.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm sure they'll make a rule about it just like every time the Patriots do something that bends the rules

Nov 6, 2002

If they have to make a new rule to stop what you did then you didn't do anything wrong. :smug:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

NC-17 posted:

If they have to make a new rule to stop what you did then you didn't do anything wrong. :smug:

If you were really quiet when you submitted that post, you could hear the entire city of Oakland screaming "TUCK RULE"

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

the Tuck Rule owned and I'm glad it happened

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Jesus gently caress, Minnesotans are such fickle fans. I was pissed watching the game against the Packers, and admittedly turned it off at the AP fumble, but the response (not here in TFF) has been extreme. Terrance Newman was right that people are acting like it was ten losses, not one. Losing to the Packers sucks, but the Vikings are still likely a playoff team. Considering that most pre-season predictions couldn't bother to acknowledge an NFC North team not located in Wisconsin (except to discuss that an easy divisional schedule would probably give the Packers home field advantage throughout the playoffs), 7-3 and firmly in the wildcard spot is pretty drat good.

A local news teaser for an upcoming segment on the 5-6 Gophers said that hopefully the Gophers can do better than "another team that plays at TCF". Everyone around here is so excited to be the first one to yell "SAME OLD VIKINGS" after the second time in ten games that they have looked really out of sync.

I hate losing to the Packers, but it's always so black and white with these loving fans. It wouldn't be so annoying if it wasn't so predictable. The local bandwagon will fill up again if the team makes the playoffs. Then, when they don't win the superb owl, people will bitch about the most inane poo poo and act like we're going into next season with Ponder at QB, a defense full of retirees and underperformers, and a coach that emotes only slightly more than Jim Caldwell. poo poo's getting better, but it takes time.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

If you were really quiet when you submitted that post, you could hear the entire city of Oakland screaming "TUCK RULE"

Meh. It wasn't even the only time that it was called that year. Raiders fans should be well beyond getting over it imo

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Ross Angeles posted:

It was a lose-lose because it gave rise to a bunch of evil cheaters even though it defeated an evil empire. Another sad moment for the league.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ross Angeles posted:

I'm glad your team is moving to a real city soon.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

effectual posted:

I'm glad your team is moving to a real city soon.

I'm glad your basketball team left

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I think the Chargers are cool and good.

Well, not THIS roster, or coaching staff or management or stadium. But the idea of a California lightning bolt fun time team is good and should be left alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sean10mm posted:

I think the Chargers are cool and good.

Well, not THIS roster, or coaching staff or management or stadium. But the idea of a California lightning bolt fun time team is good and should be left alone.

The CONCEPT of the Chargers is cool. Shame they can't seem to put it into practice.

I also won't totally hate it if the Raiders end up sharing a stadium with them. Because at least they're not the Rams.

• Locked thread