Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Translators got too distracted and can't focus on their work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

EDIT: Speaking of Takagi-San, I just checked out the other manga that the author did, about the guy whose little sister is a jiang-shi. Oh my god. It's so bad. Why does it exist? Why do the freaking scanlators translate that instead of Takagi-san?? Just why??

Because moe imouto, onii-chan.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

As much as I enjoy this slow-moving disaster epic (and all those cute, chubby cheeks!) I wish he'd hurry up and deliver some of the apocalyptic/alien invasion stuff that he's been alluding to all this time. Some actual things happening rather than "OOooh it's COMING! The END is NEAR!!" every single chapter.

There's a new chapter out. Just remember, you asked for this, you monster!!!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I've always been really surprised that Saiki Kusuo, a really funny manga that runs in Shounen Jump, is not scanlated while countless random yaoi doujins and what have you are.

Gag and comedy manga have never been as popular among fan translators as battle of the week stuff is. I've seen multiple groups complain about the extra effort involved with trying to get across puns and wordplay or to explain cultural references. The people doing the actual translation seem to burn out much faster on that sort of project.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Fellis posted:

Cross-quoting from seinen thread. This isn't really surreal, but it is the sort of whimsical fantasy daily life that this thread adores as well

It's very nice, and also in the middle of a new release flood. I believe a new volume just came out, and the scanlators are pumping out a chapter every couple of days. It's a great series about two tiny, hard-working, hard-drinking sprites and all the forest folk and critters they interact with daily.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Two new chapters of Teasing Master Takagi

You may want to sit down for the first one. The teasing is too strong. It cannot be contained. The teasing has broken the fourth wall!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The guy that does Takagi sometimes does other things. Check it out!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Speaking of things with abrupt, disappointing endings, 87 Clockers just wrapped, in which the main characters demonstrate all the development they've undergone throughout the series by going back to right where they were at the beginning of the story.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

I feel like one could come up with a title that signals the monster girl thing without also being terrible, but then again these are the same people who felt this was a good change, so maybe not:

Are you really making GBS threads all over people for making the vampire who hates sunlight and avoids it at every opportunity not have a loving tan?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I have never before seen the word "offal" used this many times in all my life.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Did I ever link Custom Maid / did anyone else ever talk about it? If not, it's about a maid with the crazy ability to learn and master literally anything overnight.

Well, new chapter today.

It's very cute.

I read through this today and, though cute, it is about the 14th or 15th manga I've read where the main character is a rich/posh lady who is a secret otaku.

Focus the series on Taskmaster the maid instead of a walking cliche, and I might be interested.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Mashing subscribe as hard as I can.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

That's got a movie coming out in theaters in a few weeks, it's all over the TV here. I had it confused with Your Name for a while.

Is that the same Kenji Kamiyama that wrote GitS:SAC and Moribito? He's got some solid writing credits in my book.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Takeo was a really fun series, and I'm glad to see it go out on a high note.

Much appreciation for the effort you guys put in for us Anglophones, Joshlemagne.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The thread title is relevant again.

Voynich Hotel is being released in the US by Seven Seas.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

You reading the spinoff that takes place in the future?

No, he's talking about the chapter where Takagi breaks the fourth wall and trolls the reader directly. It was the inspiration for the spinoff.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
It's not a manga, but this season's pet mummy anime Miira no Kaikata is right up this thread's alley. The mummy is super adorable.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The author of Sakamoto desu ga has a new series out. The first couple chapters have been translated.

https://mangadex.org/manga/22479/migi-dali

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
There's been a few new chapters of Migi & Dali released over the past couple days, in which the twins' dark past is revealed and they attempt to murder their adoptive parents.

https://mangadex.org/title/22479/migi-dali

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Here's a treat. Another short story collection by Ryoko Kui, which had the first few chapters translated a couple years ago, is now released in full.

https://mangadex.org/title/18937/the-dragon-s-school-is-on-the-top-of-the-mountain

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Your link goes to the last page of the chapter.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

whatever happened to that one series with various mythical creatures as household pets(demon lord, hero, zombie, etc), it was a frequent favorite in this thread and others years ago but seems to have just vanished off the face of the earth

Uchi no Maou Kamimasen yo - It finished around two years ago.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Yes, umeboshi are pickled plums.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
There's a new chapter of Heterogeneous Linguistics. Man, I really like this series.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Translations for Dowman Sayman's Melancholia are now complete. I'm going to have to re-read this one from the beginning. Even though it starts out feeling like loosely-connected chapters like in Nickelodeon, everything is actually very tightly bound.

https://mangadex.org/title/20563/melancholia

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Was the first chapter the start, or was it actually the end?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Dowman Sayman's sci-fi sex comedy How Many Light-years to Babylon? just got it's first new chapters in a long time. I'm glad to see the master of the surreal hasn't been completely abandoned.

:nws: https://mangadex.org/title/20618/how-many-light-years-to-babylon :nws:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

Dowman Sayman's sci-fi sex comedy How Many Light-years to Babylon? just got it's first new chapters in a long time. I'm glad to see the master of the surreal hasn't been completely abandoned.

:nws: https://mangadex.org/title/20618/how-many-light-years-to-babylon :nws:

This translator has been putting out a couple of new chapters a day since then. I am stoked at the possibility of someone consistently translating more Dowman Sayman works. The person (thetsuuyaku) who has translated the most stuff previously, including all of Nickelodeon and Voynich Hotel, and most of Oddman 11, has sadly been radio silent for almost two years. :(

e: chapter 16 made me laugh out loud like an idiot

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Brainamp posted:

It lures you in with the comedic mask but holy poo poo this is dark.

The recipe pages really take it to that next level.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Translation just finished up on a short Dowman Sayman story. If you're familiar with his work, you know what you're in for.

Suicide Parabellum

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Artificer posted:

Doesn't the second law supersede the third?

Yes, but if the "order" is not clear, a robot may decide to prioritize their own safety since that is much more consistently interpreted.

The plot of the very first story where Asimov defined his Three Laws revolved around this contradiction.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

Aside that, I'm trying to find this Manga about a dopey journalist girl with glasses and her long suffering retainer as they keep bubbling along trying to get the scoop on various crimes and events in a really Steam Detectives kind of setting. It was funny. Cover had the girl eating a bun.

https://mangadex.org/title/41219/the-adventures-of-totoko-investigative-reporter

It's fun.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Dowman Sayman's manga Oddman 11 just had its final chapter translated. If you've ever thought you wanted to read Scott Pilgrim only much weirder and much gayer, there's never been a better time.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Things I like end, while things I don't like keep going on forever. This timeline sucks!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So this is happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew1-icAYM7I

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

I Am Fowl posted:

It's a cute manga about an easily frustrated young woman who, when she's flustered mentally says/visualizes cute stuff like "nope nope antelope".

One great thing about this is that the wordplay/imagery are different in Japanese and the artist works with the English translator and redraws it to match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Myok posted:

I'm getting a kick out of The Whimsical Cursed Sword. The setting is a standard fantasy world that suddenly discovered smart phones and the Internet. Meanwhile, the main character Lucas's eight-year-old sister Monika makes a discovery...

Great recommendation. I'm really enjoying this.