Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Mandy Thompson posted:

Do you think there is any hope, long term?
Define "long term". In the next couple of decades? No way, it's going to get worse before it gets better. Some fascist groups will gain power first, then they'll run the country into the ground. Then it might end. Lots of people will die during the process.

Helsing made some good points, but they're US centric. If anything, the US has been late to get on the hate train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
There's a couple things I haven't seen mentioned here - the fervent tone of right-wingers in the U.S. has a lot to do with the fact that whites are becoming a minority population. Settler states under demographic pressure like that typically go extra crazy and use increasingly unparliamentarian tricks until they completely lose power (one way or another) - or the race war is successful. That's why simultaneously right-wingers are going nuts about immigration, BLM, and Muslims. A saner entrenched ethnic elite might try to bring one group into the fold to keep oppressing the other two, but I think people today are too educated to fall for that kind of trick.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

There's a couple things I haven't seen mentioned here - the fervent tone of right-wingers in the U.S. has a lot to do with the fact that whites are becoming a minority population. Settler states under demographic pressure like that typically go extra crazy and use increasingly unparliamentarian tricks until they completely lose power (one way or another) - or the race war is successful. That's why simultaneously right-wingers are going nuts about immigration, BLM, and Muslims. A saner entrenched ethnic elite might try to bring one group into the fold to keep oppressing the other two, but I think people today are too educated to fall for that kind of trick.

The thing about "Bringing a group into the fold" is that you need a few characteristics, namely:

1. There can't be large amounts of migration of that group at the current time.

2. This group must have some degree of social influence and power.

Take the Irish, for example. Their largest period of discrimination is during the 19th Century, when they had a large influx of migrants and relatively low amounts of power (partially because lots of them were recent immigrants). By the 20th Century, you had a vastly reduced amount of migrants, and a solidification of the Irish in middle class power structures (5/6 of police officers in New York City were Irish around the turn of the 20th Century, for example).

With these criteria in mind, consider the groups that people typically chicken little about being assimilated - Hispanics, Muslims, and (rarely) African-Americans. While some Hispanics do have some social influence, the vast majority are extremely low class. In addition, the vast majority of Hispanics in the US have Mexican ancestry, which is the largest immigration group at the moment. They're basically the exact worst option to pick for assimilation.*

African-Americans by contrast don't have the immigration issues, but are the most poo poo upon minority other than maybe Native Americans. Muslims actually check both boxes well, which is why historically they were Republican reliables. But, then 9/11 happened.

*The exception being if you created a rift between "Mexicans" and "Mexican-Americans". Such a rift did exist historically (the first border wall was created in a Mexican-American majority town to keep out the cheaper immigrants) but has mostly disappeared because of :heritage: assholes.

sean price
Sep 30, 2011

by Lowtax

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

my only question is why does there have to be a historical precedent for everything? some loving things happening every single day have never had any historical analogy

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

sean price posted:

my only question is why does there have to be a historical precedent for everything? some loving things happening every single day have never had any historical analogy

I think you'll find that there is nothing new under the sun, that those who forget history are condemned to repeat it, and that wishing is never a substitute for thinking. Thus, with these facts in hand, you could offer something trenchant as opposition. But what you've got is, "things might be different", entirely as platitudinous and intellectually empty as the clichéd quotes I started this post off with.

sean price
Sep 30, 2011

by Lowtax
i think comparing every single loving thing to past conflicts that happened before the advent of cars when a whole loving lot has changed in terms of war technology ALONE is p dumb, yea, is that nuanced or spergygoony or whatever you need it to be enough for you?

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
I worry at the growth of hate groups because even though Trump's chances are remote, he has changed the conversation, things that would have been unthinkable for a politician to propose are now merely controversial as Republicans try to trump Trump.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What baffles me the most is whenever right wingers touch on Christians in the Middle East. Not a peep about the slaughter and persecution of untold numbers of Muslims, but did you hear about that time ISIS killed 50 Christians?? This is the last straw, we need to be even shittier to Muslims both domestic and foreign.

sean price posted:

i think comparing every single loving thing to past conflicts that happened before the advent of cars when a whole loving lot has changed in terms of war technology ALONE is p dumb, yea, is that nuanced or spergygoony or whatever you need it to be enough for you?

Well, what do you propose? Should we just collectively shrug our shoulders and refrain from having opinions about Muslim refugees and closed borders, because hey, maybe internment camps would be cushy hotels with wi-fi this time around, and it's not like ISIS is literally shunting Muslims in gas chambers while crowing about the supremacy of the Aryan race, so who's to say the situation won't resolve itself without letting brown people into the US of A?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
At this point even if Trump he may permanently shifted the internal dynamics of the Republican party by opening up a larger space for so called "white nationalist" rhetoric at the national level.

If you look at Barry Goldwater, the ultra-right wing conservative who clinched the Republican nomination in 1964, you'll notice that he suffered one of the most devestating defeats in American history to Lyndon Johnson. But despite Goldwater's failure to get elected his supporters had gained a foothold in the party and they were eventually able to nominate Ronald Reagan (who had stumped for Goldwater) and Reagan ultimately carried through many of the same reforms. Meanwhile the liberal wing of the Republican party, which was until then very progressive on race issues and mostly associated with the North East and with guys like Nelson Rockefeller, William Scranton and George Romney, became the party of the white backlash, and it's geographical centre shifted to the South and Midwest, where it remains today.

Even if Trump losses the damage might already be done. Especially if the Republicans retain control of so many state legislatures and governorships. The Democrats might continue to hold the presidnecy but will that matter if the GOP has the House of Representatives, is competitive in the senate, and controls most state governments? And in the longer term who knows how far some of those state governments will go to suppress minority voters. Things could get very ugly.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Helsing posted:

Even if Trump losses the damage might already be done. Especially if the Republicans retain control of so many state legislatures and governorships. The Democrats might continue to hold the presidnecy but will that matter if the GOP has the House of Representatives, is competitive in the senate, and controls most state governments?

Yes.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It doesn't help in passing legislation, but if SCOTUS can be tilted then it's worth it.

My secret hope for this election is that trump is nominated, and then loses in the general - it'll turn an interesting election into a referendum on what are American Values or whatever, and Trump's nativism will get decisively crushed. If trump is denied the nomination, and rubio loses, the racist/fascist wing will only go into overdrive.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 25, 2015

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Supreme Court nominees is what everyone will tell you.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kajeesus posted:

What baffles me the most is whenever right wingers touch on Christians in the Middle East. Not a peep about the slaughter and persecution of untold numbers of Muslims, but did you hear about that time ISIS killed 50 Christians?? This is the last straw, we need to be even shittier to Muslims both domestic and foreign.

Well, what do you propose? Should we just collectively shrug our shoulders and refrain from having opinions about Muslim refugees and closed borders, because hey, maybe internment camps would be cushy hotels with wi-fi this time around, and it's not like ISIS is literally shunting Muslims in gas chambers while crowing about the supremacy of the Aryan race, so who's to say the situation won't resolve itself without letting brown people into the US of A?

well whats funny is they don't even really care about the Christians. most of the GOP candidates want to keep the middle eastern christian refugees out too. santorum basicaly wants them to be martyrs.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

sean price posted:

This is why history has such lovely predictive power, people find things that are vaguely comparable and forget that even slight differences can completely change the outcome.

It's also useful for lazy and ignorant people since is much easier to just point to something in the past than to make intelligent arguments.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

rudatron posted:

It doesn't help in passing legislation, but if SCOTUS can be tilted then it's worth it.

My secret hope for this election is that trump is nominated, and then loses in the general - it'll turn an interesting election into a referendum on what are American Values or whatever, and Trump's nativism will get decisively crushed. If trump is denied the nomination, and rubio loses, the racist/fascist wing will only go into overdrive.

I kind of feel like they will go into overdrive no matter what happens at this point. I had been inclined to think "let the nuts have their day and get it over with" but I am not sure what the mechanism would be to cause it to be "over with" just because Trump made it to the general and lost. These freaks aren't going away.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

sean price posted:

It also leads to over-fitting the data which is another reason why the predictive power completely sucks. What people don't realize is that making your theory fit all the data is actually a very dumb thing to do since data is inherently noisy.

A good example of this is in sports broadcasts.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Supreme Court nominees still require the Democrats to have a presence in the senate, and if the GOP controls state governments then they can employ all kinds of dirty tricks to suppress voter turnout. Who knows how far a demographically shrinking Republican party might go in suppressing voter turnout and redistricting the House... especially if white nationalists take on a larger role in the party.

When I said "does it matter" i was being rhetorical. Yes of course it makes a difference who sits in the White House. But my point is that future Democratic presidents will have extremely limited room to maneuvre, and it can't even be taken for granted that Democrats will maintain their lock on the White House if every other major lever of the federal government remains in the hands of the GOP.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Helsing posted:

Supreme Court nominees still require the Democrats to have a presence in the senate, and if the GOP controls state governments then they can employ all kinds of dirty tricks to suppress voter turnout.

No, all it requires is for the Republican Supreme Court justices to die first.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

What happens when the Republican controlled Senate Judiciary Committee decides to indefinitely filibuster the Democratic President's nominee for the Supreme Court?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

computer parts posted:

Scalia has been due for a rage induced stroke for a long while now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Helsing posted:

What happens when the Republican controlled Senate Judiciary Committee decides to indefinitely filibuster the Democratic President's nominee for the Supreme Court?

Then at worst, no SCOTUS decisions are made.

If more than one Republican Justice dies, then the Democrats get control back.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mandy Thompson posted:

I worry at the growth of hate groups because even though Trump's chances are remote, he has changed the conversation, things that would have been unthinkable for a politician to propose are now merely controversial as Republicans try to trump Trump.

Yeah, this scares me

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

Then at worst, no SCOTUS decisions are made.

If more than one Republican Justice dies, then the Democrats get control back.

:lol:

I guess the Democrats don't need to worry about losing control of the House, the Senate and many of the State legislatures that will control the redistricting process that is vital to the Democrats ever winning back the House, because hey, Scalia and Thomas might simultaneously drop dead from heart attacks.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Helsing posted:

:lol:

I guess the Democrats don't need to worry about losing control of the House, the Senate and many of the State legislatures that will control the redistricting process that is vital to the Democrats ever winning back the House, because hey, Scalia and Thomas might simultaneously drop dead from heart attacks.

It's what leftists/democrats deserve for abandoning the working class to focus on identity politics. gently caress them. Let the republicans have it all.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I have zero sympathy for the Democratic party but your whole "gently caress the Democrats" shtick will entail a lot of collateral damage among the very groups that you're saying the Democrats abandoned. Also those of us living in the rest of the first world would prefer not to have our world hegemon being run by a weird Christian-Fascist death cult, thank you very much.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Helsing posted:

I have zero sympathy for the Democratic party but your whole "gently caress the Democrats" shtick will entail a lot of collateral damage among the very groups that you're saying the Democrats abandoned. Also those of us living in the rest of the first world would prefer not to have our world hegemon being run by a weird Christian-Fascist death cult, thank you very much.

There is no stopping or changing it. This is the way it will be. Who are you planning on voting for, Clinton? Good luck with that, because Sanders will NEVER have the nomination.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I'm not an American.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Helsing posted:

I'm not an American.

Cool, sorry our sad excuse for a liberal, left, whatever you want to call it is too busy focusing on "Acceptable Art" and identity politics and wants to have drum circles at the protests, and also on top of everything else, bows down to banks and wall street, but don't worry, we have mobilized so that certain videogames get the women to wear more clothes (puritanical society ftw, never thought it would be the left leading that charge haha). Islamophobia is just as rampant on the left as on the right, racism too. Nothing new under the sun.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Black Baby Goku posted:

Cool, sorry our sad excuse for a liberal, left, whatever you want to call it is too busy focusing on "Acceptable Art" and identity politics and wants to have drum circles at the protests, and also on top of everything else, bows down to banks and wall street, but don't worry, we have mobilized so that certain videogames get the women to wear more clothes (puritanical society ftw, never thought it would be the left leading that charge haha). Islamophobia is just as rampant on the left as on the right, racism too. Nothing new under the sun.

Do you really think that the Democratic party is the left?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Do you really think that the Democratic party is the left?

The American Left, yes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Black Baby Goku posted:

sad part is your arnt wrong :( you also forgot the new violence in media is bad and "triggering" argument that has started up again.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 25, 2015

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Talking Points Memo posted:

Armed Texas Mosque Protestor Shares Home Addresses Of Local Muslims

The leader of a group of armed anti-Muslim protesters in Texas posted the addresses of dozens of local Muslims and "Muslim sympathizer(s)" to Facebook on Tuesday.

David Wright III was behind an armed protest Saturday outside of a mosque in Irving, Texas by a group calling itself the "Bureau on American Islamic Relations," according to The Dallas Morning News.

Wright prefaced the list of addresses, which appeared to be copied over from a city document, by writing that those named "stood up for Sharia tribunals":

The newspaper noted that some of the names on the list were of people who asked the Irving City Council not to support the "American Laws for American Courts" bill, backed by Mayor Beth Van Duyne, because it would go against their religion. The City Council ultimately backed the bill, which forbid Texas judges from using foreign law in their rulings.

Wright told The Dallas Morning News that he organized the protest on Saturday because Muslims had "threatened to kill the mayor." The publication noted that there was no evidence to support Wright's claim.

Another rally is planned for outside the Irving Islamic Center on Saturday to protest Wright's group. More than 100 people are planning on attending, according to the newspaper.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honestly the concept of separate laws for separate religions is loving retarded.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Black Baby Goku posted:

Honestly the concept of separate laws for separate religions is loving retarded.

Private arbitration--which is what sharia is in most nations--is a free association exercise. Whether you think their personal values are dumb doesn't matter.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DeusExMachinima posted:

Private arbitration--which is what sharia is in most nations--is a free association exercise. Whether you think their personal values are dumb doesn't matter.

It's not fit for western society. Let it stay in tribal third world hellholes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

Oh, its okay, Christians do it too.

And no, in most really harsh Islamic countries, Sharia Law is recognized as the ACTUAL law in court, not via private arbitration.

But then again, the Sharia Law poo poo is the favorite go to boogeyman of the Right Wing. Who also then love to declare that all US law is Christian in nature, therefore gay marriage is bad and unlawful etc.etc.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/rubio-gods-rules-trump-supreme-court

quote:

Republican presidential candidate Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) said in a video posted Tuesday that he believes people of faith should ignore laws that violate their religion.

Rubio told the Christian Broadcasting Network that no law is "settled," making reference to Supreme Court decisions that legalized same-sex marriage.

“In essence, if we are ever ordered by a government authority to personally violate and sin — violate God’s law and sin — if we’re ordered to stop preaching the Gospel, if we’re ordered to perform a same-sex marriage as someone presiding over it, we are called to ignore that," Rubio said. "We cannot to abide by that because government is compelling us to sin."

“So when those two come into conflict, God’s rules always win,” he added.

That rhetoric deviates a bit from when Rubio weighed in on defiant Kentucky county clerk Kim Davis, who was jailed because she refused to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, earlier this year. Rubio said in September that the clerk's office had the "governmental duty to carry out the law," but that there should be religious freedom protections for individuals working in the office.

Islamic Fundamentalists and Christian Fundamentalists are on the same page, they just want their religion to get the privilage.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 25, 2015

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
^^^I understand how it works in extremist interpretations. It's not what's happening in America or if it is it's already illegal.

Black Baby Goku posted:

DeusExMachinima posted:

Whether you think their personal values are dumb doesn't matter.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It has nothing to do with "values"

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sad part is your arnt wrong :( you also forgot the new violence in media is bad and "triggering" argument that has started up again.

The left in this country is too concerned with hand-wringing bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Black Baby Goku posted:

Private arbitration is actually one of the cornerstones the US legal system is built on. The overworked court system would really rather you handle small disputes on your own. It doesn't matter if your private arbitrator is the local priest, a mutual friend, whatever. As long as both parties consent to the arbitrator the courts are just happy to offload those torts onto the arbitrator.

• Locked thread